PDA

View Full Version : Seymour bashes Pats fans praises Chief fans

dirk digler
12-05-2005, 02:00 PM
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=115562

Seymour gives fans an earful
By Michael Felger
Monday, December 5, 2005 - Updated: 07:29 AM EST

FOXBORO — Richard Seymour ripped into the quiet Gillette Stadium crowd yesterday, saying the Foxboro faithful were “spoiled” and that they made more noise for a visiting Victoria’s Secret model than the three-time Super Bowl champions.

“It’s really disappointing,” said Seymour following the Patriots’ 16-3 victory over the Jets. “The loudest they ever got was when there was a Victoria’s Secret model (Gisele Bundchen) on the scoreboard. They don’t know when to cheer. You look up and you see half of the stands empty.”

Seymour offered the remarks without being asked, indicating a level of frustration that went beyond the words. Several times during the game, the defensive lineman could be seen exhorting the crowd, only to be greeted by relative silence.

Seymour’s complaint has been echoed by other Patriots players over the last few years, as the open ends of Gillette and the close proximity of the club-level seats (where many fans opt to stay inside) have conspired to give the Pats one of the worst home-field advantages — in terms of crowd noise — in the NFL.

There was one occasion during the 2003 season when a game against Tennessee coincided with a Red Sox playoff game. That led to a weird happenstance where the crowd erupted just after a Steve McNair touchdown run (at the same moment, David Ortiz had doubled in the winning run).

“They all should have been at the baseball game then,” said Seymour, recalling the story.

“Coming from Arrowhead (Stadium in Kansas City) last week, it’s obvious how important the 12th man is,” added Seymour. “That stadium is probably the loudest in the league. So to come from that to this . . .”

When asked why the Gillette fans were so quiet, Seymour said: “They’re spoiled.”

Linebacker Rosevelt Colvin took a more diplomatic approach.
“They pay to see us,” he said, “So they have the right to do what they want.”

Hydrae
12-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Hmmm, Seymour opposite Allen. :hmmm:

KCChiefsMan
12-05-2005, 02:02 PM
thats right baby! fear the Sea of Red

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Linebacker Rosevelt Colvin took a more diplomatic approach.
“They pay to see us,” he said, “So they have the right to do what they want.”

yep

cadmonkey
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
This was discussed over at Patriotsplanet.com.

I'm sorry to say, but our crowds SUCK.

Tickets are so expensive that only rich yahoos who don't cheer and tell other people to be quiet can attend the game.

I feel the same way, I was told to be quiet durring the MNF game vs. the Colts. If I didn't respect the people who's seats I was in I would have turned around and decked the guy. It was a 3rd and short, in the first quarter and he actually told me to quiet down.

I hate the atmoshere of Gillette, they made it to happy go lucky. The old stadium actually was fun to be at. You could yell and screem and not worry about some snob whining about you ruining HIS time. If you want to watch a game in scilence stay home.

The other problem is the fact the ends of the stadium are so wide open. Any croud noise that is generated filters out of the endzones. Its a beautiful stadium, don't get me wrong, it just wan't designed right.

Raiderhader
12-05-2005, 02:15 PM
This was discussed over at Patriotsplanet.com.

I'd have turned around and told the guy to f#ck off.

cadmonkey
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM

Even better, I didn't shut the f*ck up the whole game. You tell me to be quiet you are only making me more obnoxious. :p

Hydrae
12-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Another reason to love Arrowhead. Please retrofit it, don't replace it!

Ari Chi3fs
12-05-2005, 02:17 PM
we definitely know when to cheer.... wish we had a couple SBs to cheer about though. heh.

Cochise
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM

In the club level against Miami a couple years ago, a couple of my friends were making a lot of noise (nothing profane or anythign) and the guy behind them tried to bribe the pair with two beers each to sit down and be quiet. Of course, they rejected his offer.

It's fine if you want to sit on your hands and let home field advantage be meaningless but don't crab at other people for trying to help their team win.

dirk digler
12-05-2005, 02:20 PM

Yep.

dirk digler
12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
In the club level against Miami a couple years ago, a couple of my friends were making a lot of noise (nothing profane or anythign) and the guy behind them tried to bribe the pair with two beers each to sit down and be quiet. Of course, they rejected his offer.

It's fine if you want to sit on your hands and let home field advantage be meaningless but don't crab at other people for trying to help their team win.

Club level is a whole different world up there with the snotty rich people.

kcfanXIII
12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
colvin is right, those fans pay to see the game, so they can do what they want. if seymour wants his fans to cheer for him he should move to a louder stadium. maybe the loudest in the nfl. say, arrowhead?

cadmonkey
12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
colvin is right, those fans pay to see the game, so they can do what they want. if seymour wants his fans to cheer for him he should move to a louder stadium. maybe the loudest in the nfl. say, arrowhead?

OR EVEN BETTER.....if he wants us to cheer louder maybe they should think about playing better.

mike_b_284
12-05-2005, 02:29 PM
If the pats line wants to come work for us and play for some REAL fans, fine by me. Just so long as Tom "the bitch" Brady stays in NE.

dirk digler
12-05-2005, 02:31 PM
OR EVEN BETTER.....if he wants us to cheer louder maybe they should think about playing better.

Damn you guys are spoiled. They have won 2 out of the last 3 SB's, what else do you want and what other reasons do you need to cheer them on?

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 02:32 PM
A poll of Pats players had Arrowhead #1 for toughest stadium to play in, at like 37%. Next were a couple teams with 21% of the vote -- I remember Investco was one of them.

Gillette is a sweet stadium, but not designed to generate optimal crowd noise, unfortunately.

And all fans know that as prices get more expensive and the fans become more sober and well-heeled, crowd noise goes down. The new Boston Garden doesn't generate half the noise of the old one. That's partly due to the new design of the thing, and partly due to the fact that loud, obnoxious beer-swilling lunatics (NTTAWWT) have been replaced to some degree by people wearing suits.

And, as Seymour says, we're spoiled by success. We're all bemoaning a 7-5 record and a near-certain division title because we're not the great team we have been each of the last two years. Woe is us. Gimme a break. There were years I'd PRAY to be just average instead of the goddamn laughing-stock of the entire NFL.

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Damn you guys are spoiled. They have won 2 out of the last 3 SB's, what else do you want and what other reasons do you need to cheer them on?

In the fans defense, however, it was a really BORING game played when it was snowing and pretty darn cold.

Tough to take off your gloves to make more noise against a pathetic Jets team prior to the playoffs.

In Seymour's defense, the crowd was pretty subdued. Can't argue that.

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 02:34 PM

Not valid for yesterday's game. Defense was VERY good. Against an utterly pathetic Jets offense, of course...

greg63
12-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Even better, I didn't shut the f*ck up the whole game. You tell me to be quiet you are only making me more obnoxious. :p

ROFL
...Just makes me wanna get louder! :D

dirk digler
12-05-2005, 02:36 PM
A poll of Pats players had Arrowhead #1 for toughest stadium to play in, at like 37%. Next were a couple teams with 21% of the vote -- I remember Investco was one of them.

Gillette is a sweet stadium, but not designed to generate optimal crowd noise, unfortunately.

And all fans know that as prices get more expensive and the fans become more sober and well-heeled, crowd noise goes down. The new Boston Garden doesn't generate half the noise of the old one. That's partly due to the new design of the thing, and partly due to the fact that loud, obnoxious beer-swilling lunatics (NTTAWWT) have been replaced to some degree by people wearing suits.

And, as Seymour says, we're spoiled by success. We're all bemoaning a 7-5 record and a near-certain division title because we're not the great team we have been each of the last two years. Woe is us. Gimme a break. There were years I'd PRAY to be just average instead of the goddamn laughing-stock of the entire NFL.

Great post Amnorix.

I understand the point that with new stadiums come alot higher ticket prices that pretty much elimnates the average Joe fan. I think the Donkeys experience the same type of wine and cheese crowd.

I hope we get a new stadium or renovate Arrowhead but at the same time we need to keep the ravenous fan base that comes to the games.

ct
12-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Let's hope Seymour is sufficiently dissappointed in his fans and the org in general he decides to give KC a serious look!

Sully
12-05-2005, 02:53 PM
If he wants his stadium louder, why doesn't he show up at Ted Williams' statue in a red bikini?

Lzen
12-05-2005, 02:56 PM

I didn't realize that was possible. :D

Hey, what is that thing in your avatar? Dude looks about ready to pop.

Duck Dog
12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
hey Richard, come to KC we'll scream our ass's off for ya!

dirk digler
12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
hey Richard, come to KC we'll scream our ass's off for ya!

Yep when does his contract expire again?

Tuckdaddy
12-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Never tear down Arrowhead.

JohnnyV13
12-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Club level is a whole different world up there with the snotty rich people.

I don't know where you were sitting in Arrowhead, because I sat in the club level with season tickets for over 10 years and EVERYONE yelled near me. Heck, I sat right in front of Dr. Jon Browne's wife (the team doctor) and she screamed like crazy. She's a huge fan. In fact she's SO loud I didn't tell people who she was b/c I didn't want to ruin it for her.

I used to get into the Baptist Hospital Suite (it then was shared with Health Midwest) and then, when Health Midwest was sold to Humana (a for profit hospital group), they dropped the suite. Most of those people would come outside b/c they liked to hear everyone scream (me included). About the only time that suite was crowded was during halftime (when people would raid the food), and when it was bitter cold. Even then, most times we'd duck into the suite to warm up, then go back outside to yell.

Ebolapox
12-05-2005, 03:03 PM
hmmmm... GILLETTESTADIUMLOUDER?!?

-EB-

MOhillbilly
12-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Thats a Kansas City Chiefs

FIRST DOWN!!!!

RedThat
12-05-2005, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, Seymour opposite Allen. :hmmm:

That would sound too good to be true.

If that were to happen though......
:drool: :drool: :drool:

dirk digler
12-05-2005, 03:05 PM
I don't know where you were sitting in Arrowhead, because I sat in the club level with season tickets for over 10 years and EVERYONE yelled near me. Heck, I sat right in front of Dr. Jon Browne's wife (the team doctor) and she screamed like crazy. She's a huge fan. In fact she's SO loud I didn't tell people who she was b/c I didn't want to ruin it for her.

I used to get into the Baptist Hospital Suite (it then was shared with Health Midwest) and then, when Health Midwest was sold to Humana (a for profit hospital group), they dropped the suite. Most of those people would come outside b/c they liked to hear everyone scream (me included). About the only time that suite was crowded was during halftime (when people would raid the food), and when it was bitter cold. Even then, most times we'd duck into the suite to warm up, then go back outside to yell.

I don't have season tickets but I did sit with a friend in the club level once and a bunch of old people kept glaring at us and they just sat on their hands and never made a sound.

So I guess I shouldn't make assumptions based on 1 game, my bad.

ct
12-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Hmmm, Seymour opposite Allen.

That would sound too good to be true.

If that were to happen though......
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Seymour is a DT. How about Allen, Seymour, Sims, {insert stud DE draft choice in Hicks' place here} sound to you?

Duck Dog
12-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Yep when does his contract expire again?

I haven't a clue, but I do know he isn't listed on the 2006 FA list.

KChiefs1
12-05-2005, 03:29 PM

We know that these guys don't care about fan support when they go looking for another team to play for....they are looking for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I hope somehow they can refurbish Arrowhead without taking away the reason it's the best stadium to watch a game in the NFL.

RedThat
12-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Seymour is a DT. How about Allen, Seymour, Sims, {insert stud DE draft choice in Hicks' place here} sound to you?

Seymour can play both DT/DE. Either way though, IF we got him, I'd be ecstatic regardless where he plays. I'd be content with a defensive line that consisted of Jared Allen, Ryan Sims, Richard Seymour, and Carlos Hall.

As for DE draft choice, Im a little iffy on that. I think we should look more towards our future and invest that draft pick on either an offensive lineman, or even a Quarterback.

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 03:40 PM

Seymour is a DE in a 3-4 set (rarely at NG) and a DT in a 4-3. Just for perfect clarity.

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 03:40 PM
We know that these guys don't care about fan support when they go looking for another team to play for....they are looking for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I hope somehow they can refurbish Arrowhead without taking away the reason it's the best stadium to watch a game in the NFL.

Not in Colvin's case. He took alot less $$ to play for the Pats than what the Cardinals were offering. Granted, it was the Cardinals, but still -- he did take less.

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Seymour can play both DT/DE. Either way though, IF we got him, I'd be ecstatic regardless where he plays. I'd be content with a defensive line that consisted of Jared Allen, Ryan Sims, Richard Seymour, and Carlos Hall.

As for DE draft choice, Im a little iffy on that. I think we should look more towards our future and invest that draft pick on either an offensive lineman, or even a Quarterback.

Also for clarity, we have Seymour signed through NEXT year (2006).

RedThat
12-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Hey Amnorix, Im curious on your take, since I recognize your a Pats fan, how would you best describe Richard Seymour as a player?

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey Amnorix, Im curious on your take, since I recognize your a Pats fan, how would you best describe Richard Seymour as a player?

Mainly, I think that in a 4-3 set with an aggressive defense, he would be an unstoppable nightmare.

In the Patriots defense, he's extremely good, but the defense is designed for linebackers to make the plays moreso than the DLs.

Basically, he's 6'6", 310 pounds with rare speed, strength, agility, skills and a very good motor.

But with the Pats, he'll never get 12 sacks in one year, or have 125 tackles or anything. The defense just isn't designed that way.

But all the players and coaches, both on the Pats and other teams, have nothing but very high respect for him. He's also a very good team player, not a big-mouthed A-hole like Sapp.

MOhillbilly
12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Seymour is a DE in a 3-4 set (rarely at NG) and a DT in a 4-3. Just for perfect clarity.

Over tackle?

Amnorix
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Over tackle?

Wherever you want to put him. He has rare flexibility to play pretty much anywhere along the line. He could probably play 4-3 DE, but it'd be kinda silly. In any event, I haven't seen the Patriots try it.

RedThat
12-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Mainly, I think that in a 4-3 set with an aggressive defense, he would be an unstoppable nightmare.

In the Patriots defense, he's extremely good, but the defense is designed for linebackers to make the plays moreso than the DLs.

Basically, he's 6'6", 310 pounds with rare speed, strength, agility, skills and a very good motor.

But with the Pats, he'll never get 12 sacks in one year, or have 125 tackles or anything. The defense just isn't designed that way.

But all the players and coaches, both on the Pats and other teams, have nothing but very high respect for him. He's also a very good team player, not a big-mouthed A-hole like Sapp.

Sounds like a very well-rounded player. Thanks for your input.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Even better, I didn't shut the f*ck up the whole game. You tell me to be quiet you are only making me more obnoxious. :pNext time they want to sit on their hands, go, I'm gonna beat the hell out of you, you, you, you you and you. Tell me how that works out, mm kay?

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 04:46 PM

And, as Seymour says, we're spoiled by success. We're all bemoaning a 7-5 record and a near-certain division title because we're not the great team we have been each of the last two years. Woe is us. Gimme a break. There were years I'd PRAY to be just average instead of the goddamn laughing-stock of the entire NFL.I am all for getting loud, but the WHEN to use your vocal chords up is what separates the men fans(Arrowhead) from the boys(Gillette).

dtebbe
12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Hmm... our club level ticket holders must all have reletives in New England ROFL ROFL ROFL

DT

dtebbe
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM

That's why I love the idea of putting a roof over the existing place. OMFG it would be like nothing anyone has ever heard.

As long as the retards don't replace the hollow seat backs with solid ones... those hollow seats are the secret to Arrowhead being loud. That low frequency rumble is just amazing, and when you heard the guys a few years back talking about noise being piped in thru the sound system, I think this is what they were talking about.

DT