PDA

View Full Version : How to Stop Smoking...

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 02:54 PM
My mother has smoked for 40+ years and i want to buy her something to help her try and stop.

gum?
patches?
fake cigarette thingy?

she's got a high strung, high anxiety type personality so i want to get something that will really kill the nicotine withdrawal at the beginning so she will give stopping a real chance.

anyone try something that works good?

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 02:58 PM
My mother has smoked for 40+ years and i want to buy her something to help her try and stop.

gum?
patches?
fake cigarette thingy?

she's got a high strung, high anxiety type personality so i want to get something that will really kill the nicotine withdrawal at the beginning so she will give stopping a real chance.

Why quit if you've been at something for over forty years? I guess she could try a combination of the nicotine patch coupled with prescription drugs. There are a whole host of methods to quit but none will be effective unless she really desires to do so. For me that desire began the day I saw my then 18 month old daughter act like she was taking a drag off of a crayon.

Carlota69
12-05-2005, 03:19 PM
A freind of mine had passed away just a month prior due to lung cancer at the age of 27 years old. A month later I came with a nasty infection in my chest. I couldn't smoke, hell I couldn't move for over ten days. That was nine years ago and I haven't smoked once, not even a little cheat. I did it cold turkey, but I chewed on straws (and took up drinking alcohol) when the urge came along. My mom smoked for close to 40 years. She quit 5 years ago, although she still chews the gum. But hey, its not smoking...

There is a new procedure that totally works. I don't know if you have access to it in your area, but we have it here in Vegas. It's a laser procedure and everyone I know that has done it has flat out quit with no relapses. Basically they take a laser, non intrusive, and move it around your ears, nose, neck etc...it takes about 20 minutes and your done. You walk out relaxed and cigarette free.

So, if you can find a laser treatment in your area, that would be best. If not, try the gum and chewing straws.

Hope this helps.

KChiefsQT
12-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I quit... well whats it been about a month. I still find myself using the hand to mouth motion quite often. Last night I was eating a twix and driving.... and I actually did the whole smoking motion with it for a second until my friend called me on it. After the initial getting over the nicotine...which took me a couple wrenching weeks... I just keep my mouth occupied WITH (no need to insert obscenity here) Lollipops and gum and such. Good luck to your mom.

KChiefsQT
12-05-2005, 03:24 PM
OOOOO I forgot something...
My aunt who has smoked for 20+ years got some acupuncture procedure and it helped her. Not too sure about it though...soemthing you may want to look in to.

Donger
12-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I still find myself using the hand to mouth motion quite often.

Oh, you poor thing.

KChiefsQT
12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Oh, you poor thing.
Shut up slut. :p

Ari Chi3fs
12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
heh. One of my friends was trying to quit... I offered to take one of his cigarettes, and put it between my leg and ballsack when it was sweaty... then put it back into his pack.

Sweaty Nut Cigarette Roulette. Maybe you could offer that to your mom? heh.

Actually the way to win in this game, is to link more pain in your mind to smoking cigs, than the pleasure you used to link to smoking. That is the deal.

C-Mac
12-05-2005, 03:37 PM

gum?
patches?
fake cigarette thingy?

Smoke Away
If I hadnt seen it with my own eyes I wouldnt have believed it.
Two family members that were heavy smokers, one of 20+ years used it, quit and gave his mom who smoked for 40+ years the rest he had and she stopped.

Dave Lane
12-05-2005, 03:41 PM

gum?
patches?
fake cigarette thingy?

A coffin?

Might get the point across.

Dave

Frazod
12-05-2005, 03:45 PM
She needs one thing you can't give her - THE DESIRE TO QUIT. Without that, nothing else will work.

I quit cold turkey with no gizmos, gimmicks or Jedi mind tricks 3 1/2 months ago. I was just ready to do it.

KChiefsQT
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
She needs one thing you can't give her - THE DESIRE TO QUIT. Without that, nothing else will work.

I quit cold turkey with no gizmos, gimmicks or Jedi mind tricks 3 1/2 months ago. I was just ready to do it.
good for you.
The extra money is just an added bonus... I laugh at the amount I'd spend in a month. Crazy.

chiefsfaninNC
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Bingo!! If she doesn't have the desire nothing will work no matter how badly YOU want it for her.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:52 PM

gum?
patches?
fake cigarette thingy?

anyone try something that works good?Tell her to quit, and really mean it. That works as good as anything.

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I am probably one of the foremost experts on quitting smoking. Honestly, I have learned to get four quits out of a single box of commit lozenges. The lozenges are the best, accept no substitutes.

Taco John
12-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Just saying... but 90% of the smokers I know want to quit. I don't know if that holds up across the board... But it seems that every smoker really wants to quit, except the militant ones...

FloridaChief
12-05-2005, 04:42 PM

Amen. A-Godamnned-Men. That's all there is at the end of the day. You quit and you don't smoke again. Because you know you don't wish to be a smoker anymore.

It's not the same thing as not wanting to smoke anymore--I had a 24-year habit and quit about a week after Frazod--Sometimes I'd LIKE a smoke again--LOVE to burn a ciggy once more. But ultimately: I don't want to be a f*ckin' smoker anymore. It's as simple as that...

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Just saying... but 90% of the smokers I know want to quit. I don't know if that holds up across the board... But it seems that every smoker really wants to quit, except the militant ones...Then why the fug did they start smoking in the first place? Surely they would have bumped into the 90 percent of then smokers that wanted to quit, addicted junkies, and said to themselves, "self, that is a fugged up way to live your life, I don't ever want to do that chit."

I say BS. Smokers wanting to quit and can't, are just weak minded and are always looking for an excuse not to and go back off the waggon.

I remember as a teenager fooling arround with my first smoke, and inhaling it and it hurting. The pusher says, you just got to get use to it. Fug that, pain is the bodies signal to not do something, you can listen to it, or suffer the consequences.

bogie
12-05-2005, 04:58 PM
I have tried almost every quit smoking thing out there. The problem for me with the patches, lozenges, etc. is they kept me hooked on the nicotine and to a degree, my urges never totally went away. I quit cold turkey. It was the best for me. However, a lozenge or patch is better than a cig, so if it works go for it and yes, the desire to quit is the most important element.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 05:22 PM
I have tried almost every quit smoking thing out there. The problem for me with the patches, lozenges, etc. is they kept me hooked on the nicotine and to a degree, my urges never totally went away. I quit cold turkey. It was the best for me. However, a lozenge or patch is better than a cig, so if it works go for it and yes, the desire to quit is the most important element.I use to sell cigarettes as a way to up my foot traffic. Believe me, I heard these fools say, they are waiting till New Years, and then the wife and me both are going to quit. Already doomed to fail, they have to wait, to have a good enough excuse to quit, and the if my wife don't quit, then I can't live with that temptation to smoke in front of me. Its all crap. Its the same thing with working out and eating right, to me they are one and the same. Excuses are excuses.

Look at the whiney pussy Bronco fans making excuses for them getting beat. The way to quit, and I mean this with all sincerity for your own good whomever you are, is to just fuggin do it. Just like the Nike commercial. Be serious. It is a war with your lifestyle, body, and every thing that gets in the way of the goal. You have to over come it and be victorious over it.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
yes, desire to quit is the most important thing ... but since i can't BUY or GIVE desire i'm going to try something else.

she wants to quit ... but it's not a determined, energized kinda of want.

i'm hoping that with a little success she might develop that determination.

thanks to all for suggestions

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 06:03 PM
yes, desire to quit is the most important thing ... but since i can't BUY or GIVE desire i'm going to try something else.

i'm hoping that will a little success she might develop that determination.

thanks to all for suggestionsGood luck with it man, I wish you and yours all the best, sincerely.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Good luck with it man, I wish you and yours all the best, sincerely.
Thank you

*crossing fingers*

Valiant
12-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Did anybody mention a headstone yet???

okay I got nothin...

Ari Chi3fs
12-05-2005, 06:08 PM
try the "snutty" cigarette roulette. Im telling ya, its genious.

bogie
12-05-2005, 06:13 PM

i'm hoping that with a little success she might develop that determination.

thanks to all for suggestions

In that case I recommend the lozenge. For me, it physically replaced the cigarette. It replaced the satisfaction a cigarette gives when you have a smoking urge. I could literally feel my body calm down and could literally, physically, feel the urge go away.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 06:16 PM
In that case I recommend the lozenge. For me, it physically replaced the cigarette. It replaced the satisfaction a cigarette gives when you have a smoking urge. I could literally feel my body calm down and could literally, physically, feel the urge go away.
i saw this SMOKE AWAY kit that comes with several different things including lozenges.

i leaning towards that

hopefully if she gets the confidence that she can quit then we can worry about the nicotene reduction.

KCChiefsMan
12-05-2005, 06:40 PM
I quit twice during the past 2 months, both times I only lasted about 2 weeks....now I'm back to smoking

dtebbe
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
My mother-in-law did a perscription drug deal. Despite the fact my dad would not stop smoking around her, she quit and has been smoke-free for over 2 years now. I forget which drug it was, but she said it pretty much made her forget about cigs.

DT

FloridaChief
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
My mother-in-law did a perscription drug deal. Despite the fact my dad would not stop smoking around her, she quit and has been smoke-free for over 2 years now. I forget which drug it was, but she said it pretty much made her forget about cigs.

Welbutrin, most likely...