PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys' skid hitting Johnson hard

T-post Tom
12-05-2005, 11:43 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9079075

Yeah, they'll be getting hit hard with two Johnsons and no reach-arounds on Sunday. The march to 12- 4 is on. wooo hooo! Can't wait to hear Emmitt & T.D. cry about this one next week.

Cowboys' skid hitting Johnson hard

IRVING, Texas (AP) - With the Dallas Cowboys' latest loss keeping him up most of the night, Keyshawn Johnson's mind began to wander.

Johnson started out thinking about the 17-10 loss to the New York Giants on Sunday, then moved on to the team's two-game losing streak. Next came playoff scenarios, followed by bigger, deeper questions.

"Am I going to get back to the playoffs? How much longer is this guy going to coach? How much longer is that guy going to play?" Johnson said. "I was trying to figure everything out."

Johnson said he slept for only about an hour. He ended up leaving his home early Monday and going to team headquarters for treatment. His thoughts were still on overdrive, so much that he considered flying out of town late in the afternoon just to clear his head.

While Johnson often beats himself up over losses, he said it's been a long time since one bothered him this much. Then again, it's been a long time since the Cowboys played a game with ramifications this big.

A win would've given Dallas a one-game lead over New York for the NFC East lead plus the tiebreaker, which essentially would've been a two-game lead with four to play. Instead, the Cowboys (7-5) are a game behind and stuck in a pack of teams fighting for at least a wild card.

Dallas coach Bill Parcells says he thinks it'll take 11 wins to be division champs. For the Cowboys, that means winning out, which won't be easy with Kansas City coming to Texas Stadium on Sunday, followed by games at Carolina and Washington. They close at home against St. Louis.

It'll be even tougher if Dallas doesn't do something about the offensive line problems that were at the root of the latest loss.

Drew Bledsoe completed only 15 of 39 passes, his worst percentage of the season, and matched season worsts with two interceptions, two fumbles and four sacks. While he certainly had his share of forgettable moments, he was forced into several mistakes by a ferocious Giants defensive front that met little resistance from Dallas blockers.

For instance, on the first play of the second half, defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy went right through center Andre Gurode and turned a routine handoff into a fumble. Linebacker Antonio Pierce picked it up at the 12 and easily scored the touchdown that ultimately won the game for the Giants as it put them up 17-0.

"(Gurode) could've changed blocking schemes," Parcells said Monday. "That's why we have calls. He could have made the call."

Dallas' line has been out of whack since left tackle Flozell Adams went down with a season-ending knee injury in the sixth game. Torrin Tucker took over, but needs help protecting Bledsoe's blind side. Problem is, the Cowboys already were helping rookie right tackle Rob Petitti.

The offense has been less productive ever since, but New York was the first defense to make the weakness so incredibly obvious.

"We had two false starts, two penalties on the offensive line and four sacks. That's enough to stop some drives right there," Parcells said. "We just got physically beat up."

The onslaught up front helped limit Johnson to two catches for 16 yards. That didn't bother him hardly as much as the missed opportunity.

"Getting to the playoffs for me doesn't get it done. I'm trying to win my division," he said. "I don't want to be the sixth seed. That's not my mentality. I'm trying to win a Super Bowl, I'm trying to win a championship. I want to win. I didn't come here to sit around and be the sixth seed. I could go anywhere and be the sixth seed."

During his tossing and turning, Johnson thought back to other games that got away. That alone could've kept him up all night considering the Cowboys' previous four losses were by a combined 13 points, the last two coming on game-ending field goals.

"That stuff comes back to haunt you," he said. "You start thinking about, `If we could've, if we should've, if ..."'

Those losses didn't cost him too much sleep when they happened because he knew the Cowboys had the cushion of time.

"Now, my cushion is like this," he said, holding his hands about a foot apart. "And eventually it's this," he said, moving them closer together.

"With every loss, that gap closes," he continued. "I need some more wiggle room."

Halfcan
12-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Gunther probably has 75 blitzes ready for those rookie cowgirl linelman and i hope he uses every one. 1. Stop the run
2. Blitz Bledsoe into retirement.

T-post Tom
12-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Gunther probably has 75 blitzes ready for those rookie cowgirl linelman and i hope he uses every one. 1. Stop the run
2. Blitz Bledsoe into retirement.

I hear that Bledsoe & J@son Wh!tl0ck are moving in together after Drew retires. I guess old tubby knew what he was talking about when he held that sign up in the Foxboro pressbox.

KC Jones
12-06-2005, 07:10 AM
I hear that Bledsoe & J@son Wh!tl0ck are moving in together after Drew retires. I guess old tubby knew what he was talking about when he held that sign up in the Foxboro pressbox.

Jeff George is going to be crushed.

philfree
12-06-2005, 07:18 AM
I just wanna see our Johnson's bludgeoning the Cowboys.

PhilFree:arrow:

Count Alex's Wins
12-06-2005, 07:19 AM
I've been reading up over at CowboysZone.com. This is an interesting post:

Bingo. Hey Dallas fans, do you feel like your offensive line suddenly got 100 times worse OVERNIGHT??? It's called the Bledsoe syndrome. You're going to feel it all year long. There's no known cure at this time. Last night was a perfect microcosm of what Bledsoe brings to the table. He is slow to read defenses, has little (if any) pocket presence, and doesn't protect the football.

What Bledsoe DOES give you (on a positive note) is durability (he never seems to get injured...which might get annoying as the year goes on and his inability to lead the offense gets more and more profound), and he can still throw the deep ball, which I didn't see him do last night. He still has a pretty deep ball.

Sorry. As a Bills fan I once went through what you're all feeling now. Pats fans came to our board and told us almost verbatim what I just told you all. We didn't believe it one bit...then the season started and for about 8 games Bledsoe proved the Pats wrong. Then he came back down to reality and just hasn't been the same since.

I'm not here to talk smack, but just to lay it on the line, this is EXACTLY what you have in Drew Bledsoe:

Pros:
-Good person
-Good arm, nice deep ball
-Durable
-okay leader

Cons:
-can't play-action
-can't throw screens
-struggles to read defenses (needs no less than 4 seconds to read a standard D)
-can't throw hot routes
-little pocket presence
-doesn't protect the ball
-seems to get lazy as the year progresses
-can't improvise

What annoyed me most about Drew's tenure with the Bills is that he came in talking the same big game that he's talking for Dallas right now...about how he is motivated to win a ring yadda yadda yadda...but he just doesn't play with the same fire and enthusiasm he shows in his introductory interviews. He seems snakebitten, rattled, and dumfounded after every negative play, and ends up walking off the field with this 'deer in headlights' glaised over look. It's HORRIBLY FRUSTRATING.

Rausch
12-06-2005, 07:19 AM
I just wanna see our Johnson's bludgeoning the Cowboys.

PhilFree:arrow:

You couldn't prevent it if you wanted to...

Skip Towne
12-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Can't sleep, huh? Better watch what you're putting up your nose.

Rausch
12-06-2005, 07:31 AM
Can't sleep, huh? Better watch what you're putting up your nose.

If I could afford good drugs...

Warrior5
12-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Dallas' line has been out of whack since left tackle Flozell Adams went down with a season-ending knee injury in the sixth game. Torrin Tucker took over, but needs help protecting Bledsoe's blind side. Problem is, the Cowboys already were helping rookie right tackle Rob Petitti.

Gun had better leverage this. The GUFs need to be pounding Bledsoe into that hard turf.

My biggest concern is again the offense going up against the Dallas D.
Yeah, I know: LJ, LJ, LJ, but the Cowboys' secondary is much better than the last 3 teams we've played.