PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the cloudy side of the street...

Gaz
12-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Overall, I was quite pleased with the team Sunday. However, there are some concerns:

THE DEFENSE:
The short pass that turned into a long TD run was awful to watch and Wesley’s complete and utter whiff was embarrassing. Lame.

The long pass to Lelie off the bootleg was EXACTLY the play that has burned us time and again. Once again, we bit way too hard on the play fake and paid the price. Since that play is the Broncos bread & butter, we should have been better prepared.

Still, the O bailed us out by returning a quick TD strike. The D recovered and played a much better game, particularly in the 2nd half. The boot was pretty well covered for the rest of the day.

This D is still young and I am still willing to cut them some slack as long as they continue to learn from their mistakes. All things considered, the D played a good game. Kudos.

THE OFFENSE:
A very nice game for the O. The OLine was back to form and it showed in how Johnson ripped a new one in the Broncos’ vaunted run Defense.

No sacks. Excellent.

The [2] interceptions. The 1st one belongs to Gonzalez. Tip the ball up in the air and you are seriously outnumbered by The Enemy [see Wesley’s hat trick last week]. The 2nd belongs to Green. He just missed. Still, he was very much on target most of the day, so you have to just swallow the occasional brain fart and move on.

I was unhappy that we did not call a time-out when Johnson was unable to continue. We ran Dee Brown on a Johnson play and the results were predictable. We were trying to run out the clock and another 1st down would have been HUGE. A time-out was called for. The Coaches screwed that one up.

THE SPECIAL TEAMS:
Ah, there’s the rub.

Coverage on kicks and punts both are bad. Guys do not stay in their lanes and The Enemy has ripped off way too many returns on us. The D learned some discipline in dealing with misdirection plays. Time for ST guys to learn some discipline in coverage.

The return game is, IMO, the very weakest part of the team. The few times Hall has found a crease to run in, there is usually a penalty bringing it back, or Dante fumbles the ball. Our return game is in disarray and must be righted.

xoxo~
Gaz
Considering opportunities for improvement.

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 07:17 AM
You dont leave too much to take issue with. Denver did get the one bootleg when the entire backside was running down the line and it burned us. After that one, however, KC pretty much chewed it up to the point they didnt run it in the 4th quarter at all.

That's a far cry from the 10-12 times a game they had been running it in the past.

All in all the offense played very well. I think it was unfortunate that such small mistakes were very critical--The illegal motion causing the TD to be taken off the board, Gonzo's tipped ball and Green's missed throw. It cant get much worse than that 2 turnovers and a lost TD, and KC still won.

Fortunately, most of those things are correctable.

It's been a rollercoaster year, but Im actually looking forward to Sunday against the Cowboys. Now, if I can only figure out how to dodge all the Christmas parties to watch the game instead...

trndobrd
12-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Now, if I can only figure out how to dodge all the Christmas parties to watch the game instead...

***cough*** lot of flu going around ***cough*** maybe even bird flu

Gaz
12-06-2005, 07:20 AM
You dont leave too much to take issue with...

KCTitus sucks.

xoxo~
Gaz
Offering something to take issue with.

Count Zarth
12-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Gaz you are going to LOVE the D after this week! The Cowboys line SUCKS and Bledsoe holds the ball and can't move.

Derrick Johnson is going to take off Bledsoe's head! We're going to be blitzing a TON.

Gaz
12-06-2005, 07:27 AM
I remember the last time the Chiefs D took on Bledsoe.

Oh, I got another woody!

xoxo~
Gaz
Nearly drooling in anticipation.

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Gaz you are going to LOVE the D after this week! The Cowboys line SUCKS and Bledsoe holds the ball and can't move.

Derrick Johnson is going to take off Bledsoe's head! We're going to be blitzing a TON.

I see a problem here. When KC 'takes out' the starting QB of the opposing team, the backup usually comes in and lights up KC.

Duck Dog
12-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Another time out should have been taken by the D when Plumber lined up as a wide out. You know it's a trick play, why let them run it?

Count Zarth
12-06-2005, 07:28 AM
I see a problem here. When KC 'takes out' the starting QB of the opposing team, the backup usually comes in and lights up KC.

That's the great thing about Drew "Bledsomuch." He's a really tough bastard! You have to cause internal bleeding to knock him out (see 2001 Patriots)!

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 07:30 AM
That hit that DJ put on Plummer was a thing of beauty...I had forgotten how great it was when the QB gets nailed like that.

Gaz
12-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Another time out should have been taken by the D when Plumber lined up as a wide out. You know it's a trick play, why let them run it?

Yah, I forgot that one.

xoxo~
Gaz
Should have remembered, since he almost popped a blood vessel screaming at the TV.

morphius
12-06-2005, 07:37 AM
According to one of the players, the screen worked so well because 2 DL went the wrong way for what they had called.

As for the bootleg pass to Lelie, if you noticed Hicks got out a little late, but early enough to make it hard for Plummer to run with the ball, the other D players covered everything short so there was nowhere to dump to. That play fell completely on Surtains shoulders, as he is the one that allowed Lelie to out rush him down the field. It looked like he simple got beat by speed, and not because he bit. But that is the same series that he helped make up for it by making the Int on the bootleg in the endzone.

Trent would never say it, but I think the 2nd INT was supposed to be a quick slant on a quick read from the D. I say that because just stepped back and fired it, but if you watch Horn get off the line he simply pussy footed and shuffled around his feet instead of just taking off. Without knowing the call, its hard to say if it really was Trent or Horn, IMO.

morphius
12-06-2005, 07:42 AM
I thought our return game was the best its been all year, how many times did we start at the 40 after they scored? I think it was 3 times, thats not bad IMO. If it hadn't have been for the fumble it could have been a great day returning. For the most part our blocking just hasn't been there this year, as I said in year one of Dante, you can expect him to make one person to miss, but we are letting 2-3 people get to him quick, which nobody is going to get away from.

On the other side, we have really started to fall apart on stopping the other teams returner and that is going to need to improve quickly.

Radar Chief
12-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Overall, I was quite pleased with the team Sunday. However, there are some concerns:

THE DEFENSE:
The short pass that turned into a long TD run was awful to watch and Wesley’s complete and utter whiff was embarrassing. Lame.

The long pass to Lelie off the bootleg was EXACTLY the play that has burned us time and again. Once again, we bit way too hard on the play fake and paid the price. Since that play is the Broncos bread & butter, we should have been better prepared.

Still, the O bailed us out by returning a quick TD strike. The D recovered and played a much better game, particularly in the 2nd half. The boot was pretty well covered for the rest of the day.

This D is still young and I am still willing to cut them some slack as long as they continue to learn from their mistakes. All things considered, the D played a good game. Kudos.

I see the adjustment the D made as a plus.
After get’n absolutely shelled by Denver’s heavy artillery, they didn’t retreat to the “spinner” fallback position. They didn’t get dazed. They made their adjustments and fought back, blow for blow.
I felt it was….inspiring. ;)

THE OFFENSE:
A very nice game for the O. The OLine was back to form and it showed in how Johnson ripped a new one in the Broncos’ vaunted run Defense.

No sacks. Excellent.

I think a lot of the credit belongs to the play action fake. Saunders should take note from this game. Empty backfield = Green get’n crushed. Even a half hearted play fake has the linebackers, hell the entire D, freeze’n and gives Trent more time to throw. It’s worth noting that, IIRC it was, Bailey dropped coverage of Hall because he was spy’n the backfield and saw what he thought was a handoff.

The [2] interceptions. The 1st one belongs to Gonzalez. Tip the ball up in the air and you are seriously outnumbered by The Enemy [see Wesley’s hat trick last week]. The 2nd belongs to Green. He just missed. Still, he was very much on target most of the day, so you have to just swallow the occasional brain fart and move on.

Agreed. :toast:

I was unhappy that we did not call a time-out when Johnson was unable to continue. We ran Dee Brown on a Johnson play and the results were predictable. We were trying to run out the clock and another 1st down would have been HUGE. A time-out was called for. The Coaches screwed that one up.

Agreed again. Even if LJ couldn’t have been in for that play, a time out would’ve given Saunders more time to come up with a better play than run’n D Brown on an LJ play.

THE SPECIAL TEAMS:
Ah, there’s the rub.

Coverage on kicks and punts both are bad. Guys do not stay in their lanes and The Enemy has ripped off way too many returns on us. The D learned some discipline in dealing with misdirection plays. Time for ST guys to learn some discipline in coverage.

The return game is, IMO, the very weakest part of the team. The few times Hall has found a crease to run in, there is usually a penalty bringing it back, or Dante fumbles the ball. Our return game is in disarray and must be righted.

xoxo~
Gaz
Considering opportunities for improvement.

This is get’n boring but again, agreed. :thumb:

Count Zarth
12-06-2005, 07:44 AM
The good thing is we suck just enough to win every week and still have stuff that can be obviously worked on...i.e. the return game.

Chiefnj
12-06-2005, 07:53 AM
I didn't notice, but on the long screen for the TD was there a blitz coming from the opposite side?

Easterbrook, the TMQB, often writes about how the blitz kills teams more often than it helps late in the season and usually gives examples each week. By December most decent offenses have played enough together to pick up almost all blitz packages and will often exploit a D for a quick TD.

Hopefully, Sims and Hall can stay healthy and the Chiefs front 4 can generate a little more consistent QB pressure on their own to leave the LB's back in protection.

Radar Chief
12-06-2005, 08:11 AM
I didn't notice, but on the long screen for the TD was there a blitz coming from the opposite side?

I believe that’s a “yea”. Mitch and Lenny mentioned it on the radio broadcast of the game.

morphius
12-06-2005, 08:16 AM

Easterbrook, the TMQB, often writes about how the blitz kills teams more often than it helps late in the season and usually gives examples each week. By December most decent offenses have played enough together to pick up almost all blitz packages and will often exploit a D for a quick TD.

Hopefully, Sims and Hall can stay healthy and the Chiefs front 4 can generate a little more consistent QB pressure on their own to leave the LB's back in protection.
Of course without the blitz we wouldn't have seen that crushing blow by DJ.

Radar Chief
12-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Of course without the blitz we wouldn't have seen that crushing blow by DJ.

Touché.

DeepSouth
12-06-2005, 08:38 AM
The 2nd belongs to Green. He just missed. Still, he was very much on target most of the day, so you have to just swallow the occasional brain fart and move on.

But, if he hadn't thrown that interception, we wouldn't have gotten to see him fight off a block to make a pretty damn good tackle.

Extra Point
12-06-2005, 08:50 AM
"This D is still young and I am still willing to cut them some slack as long as they continue to learn from their mistakes."

Our secondary ain't all that young. Even though Plummer QB'd, there were no gift picks for Wesley. No tackling, either.

In defense: Drop contain, drop the game.

Rain Man
12-06-2005, 09:13 AM
That Wesley whiff on the long Cheater touchdown was bizarre. You could tell that Anderson actually expected to be tackled. He was the most surprised person in the stadium when all of a sudden Wesley was lying there and he was still standing.

Count Zarth
12-06-2005, 09:15 AM
We've been lucky with screens all year. We were due to get burned.

Shanahan was smart and knew we would be ultra-agressive early in the game. That was a good call.

Lzen
12-06-2005, 09:19 AM

I thought the same thing when they showed the replay of Plummer playing wideout with Warfield covering him. WTF? They should've known something was up. :shake:

Lzen
12-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Trent would never say it, but I think the 2nd INT was supposed to be a quick slant on a quick read from the D. I say that because just stepped back and fired it, but if you watch Horn get off the line he simply pussy footed and shuffled around his feet instead of just taking off. Without knowing the call, its hard to say if it really was Trent or Horn, IMO.

I, too, thought the 2nd INT was supposed to be a quick slant because Denver was gonna blitz. I just thought it got away from Trent a little bit. I don't really have much problem with his INTs in this game because
A) As Gaz said, that one should've been caught by Tony G. and
B) The 2nd INT was a good read that got away from him.

Gaz
12-06-2005, 09:24 AM
I do not want to be unfair to Gonzalez, but that is the kind of catch that he usually makes.

Am I just spoiled?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not likely to get perfection, so hesitates to ask for it.

Lzen
12-06-2005, 09:25 AM

I don't buy that. If a team blitzed a lot, yes. But if they just blitz every so often to keep the offense off kilter, then it works, IMO. One other thing I noticed is that the blitzes were not telegraphed. I thought they did a pretty good job of bringing up blitzers at the last minute.

Lzen
12-06-2005, 09:26 AM
I do not want to be unfair to Gonzalez, but that is the kind of catch that he usually makes.

Am I just spoiled?

xoxo~
Gaz
Not likely to get perfection, so hesitates to ask for it.

No, Gonzo usually makes those catches. He's been a litte 'off' all season. He's dropped way too many balls this year. Not sure why.

jidar
12-06-2005, 09:30 AM

Absolutely, it's what made that play.
What that situation was, was a perfect play call for Denver. We blitzed from their left side and they screened to their right. That's going to be a big gain for the O four out of five times, and a decent gain the fifth time.
That's the real danger of overloading one side and in my opinion it's probably the riskiest thing Gun does, especially against denver since they're so good at bootlegs and screens.
Gun adjusted though, and it all worked out.

Chief Henry
12-06-2005, 09:47 AM
For the most part we did contain the bootleg much better in this game...

Its good to see the starters back on the offensive line too...

I'm glad Ryan SIms is starting to contribute
just a little too. The defensive line is coming along
and that stop on 4th and 1 on Dungvers last drive
proved it.

I'm not sure I like the call of letting Trent Green
run around in the back field to run time off the clock is the best play to do that with. Let
T.Rich do it. We don't need any hard hits on our starting QB. He's taken way to many of those
already this season.

I too think it was our best over all game of the season. I would give the team an A- over all.

Its also nice to have a consistent Field goal kicker too.

StcChief
12-06-2005, 11:37 AM
How many times are they going to keep running left?

Seems it was that or the bootleg.

Is that all they got for plays?

Ari Chi3fs
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Denver was a fool for not running Tatum Bell at us more, he killed us. If we play them in playoffs, prepare for a heavy dose of Bell.

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
No, Gonzo usually makes those catches. He's been a litte 'off' all season. He's dropped way too many balls this year. Not sure why.

Watching the replay, it looked like he dropped his right hand to cover his ribs as the safety was closing fast on him and he was extended up in the air. I tend to think he short armed it, but I only got to see the play once.

If he had made that catch, he might have gotten hurt.

Rain Man
12-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I hate to say it, but Bell is kind of scary. He's a legitimate running back. I don't know why they keep starting Thalidomide Anderson*.

* No hands.

Frosty
12-06-2005, 12:19 PM
I thought the same thing when they showed the replay of Plummer playing wideout with Warfield covering him.

Warfield should have jammed him at the LOS. Hard.

:)

nmt1
12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Warfield should have jammed him at the LOS. Hard.

:)

If I was Warfield, I would've put Plummer in the stands.

Chief Faithful
12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
For the most part we did contain the bootleg much better in this game...

I'm not sure I like the call of letting Trent Green
run around in the back field to run time off the clock is the best play to do that with. Let
T.Rich do it. We don't need any hard hits on our starting QB. He's taken way to many of those
already this season.

I thought they should have done one of those slow developing sweeps and let LJ pick his hole.

Frosty
12-06-2005, 12:29 PM
If I was Warfield, I would've put Plummer in the stands.

I don't know if you noticed, but Plummer ran out of bounds pretty fast when the play started.

siberian khatru
12-06-2005, 12:29 PM
I hate to say it, but Bell is kind of scary. He's a legitimate running back. I don't know why they keep starting Thalidomide Anderson*.

* No hands.

Actually, wouldn't that make him Flipper Anderson?

nmt1
12-06-2005, 12:32 PM
I don't know if you noticed, but Plummer ran out of bounds pretty fast when the play started.

Take the penalty and plant him 10 rows up.

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 12:35 PM
Take the penalty and plant him 10 rows up.

Van Pelt got a really good knock from Knight.

morphius
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM
So you are saying that the refs missed another call, isn't there some weird rule on going out of bounds on your own without trying to get back in quickly?

Chiefnj
12-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Too bad it was 3 yards in the end zone.

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Too bad it was 3 yards in the end zone.

True...but he paid for it.

siberian khatru
12-06-2005, 12:40 PM
True...but he paid for it.

Yep. He never returned to the game.

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Yep. He never returned to the game.

LOL

Rain Man
12-06-2005, 12:48 PM

Not that it matters, but wasn't it Wesley?

Frosty
12-06-2005, 12:49 PM
So you are saying that the refs missed another call, isn't there some weird rule on going out of bounds on your own without trying to get back in quickly?

Only on kick coverage, I think.

I think he just didn't want to get "chucked" at the LOS.

KCTitus
12-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Not that it matters, but wasn't it Wesley?

May have been, couldnt remember and didnt have the game film handy.