PDA

View Full Version : DIRECTV ****ING SUCKS - LISTEN AND LEARN

Frazod
12-06-2005, 09:39 PM
I just got hardcore f#cked - I mean totally and utterly hardcore f#cked - by DirecTV. With no recourse, I am simply stuck with useless equipment and an "I'm sorry sir."

I bought an HDTV last week. The first thing I learned was that I needed to upgrade my receiver and dish, which I did, to the tune of several hundred dollars). Expecting to receive an HDTV signal, I turned on my local CBS channel. No HDTV. I called customer service. I've been on the phone with them repeatedly over the course of the evening. Basically, this is what I've been told.

I MIGHT be able to gain access to the network feed, but DirecTV has to REQUEST PERMISSION from the networks, which they may or may not give, at any point between two weeks and 45 days, if not longer. Basically, there is no guarantee this will ever happen.

There is, apparently, a dish which has a built-in antenna that will receive the local HD signal. Of course, it's not the one that was just installed on the side of my house this afternoon. And the receiver which I had installed this afternoon wouldn't work with the dish that would receive the local signal. And the receiver which would process the local signal doesn't have a DVR, and DirecTV won't offer one until that does for MONTHS.

I swear to God I'm not making this shit up.

And DirecTV doesn't tell you ANY OF THIS - NOT ONE LITTLE BIT OF IT - until it's too late and you've already bought the equipment.

So basically, I've paid hundreds of dollars for a hi-def dish and a hi-def receiver which won't pick up or record the network programs I want to watch in hi-def. Beyond that, DirecTV offers about 7 hi-def channels, none of which I regularly watch.

Also, as far as hi-def games on Sunday Ticket go, surprise, surprise - you have to pay extra for them. And, of course, if I pay extra, and the game happens to be shown on local TV (like the Chiefs/Cowboys game on Sunday), it'll be blacked out on Sunday Ticket, and I won't be able to watch it in hi-def anyway.

So I figured I'd punt. I told them to come get their equipment and give me my money back. They won't take the equipment back or return my money. I own it. And I'm f#cked, and that's the end of it. I have no recourse, except to attempt to sue them, I guess, which I'm probably going to look into. I do have a really nasty lawyer who likes to start class action suits.

I can't believe that when I talked to these ASSCLOWNS on the phone and ordered my new dish and receiver, that they didn't mention anything about the local channels. Granted, I didn't ask, but then again, if I buy a car, I expect it to be able turn corners without specifically asking whether or not it does. What did these morons think I wanted to watch and record?

I have just absolutely been played. All they'll do is install additional equipment at additional cost, and apparently just toss the crap I just paid for TODAY. I was a loyal customer of these f#cking scumbags for years. Now, I don't even know if I'll keep them for Sunday Ticket - how can I continue to do business with these thieving weasels?

Anyway, there is a lesson to be learned here. If Skip can offer any suggestions or somehow paint a happy face on this steaming pile, I'd love to hear from him. Beyond that, DirecTV can eat a dick. 4321

ENDelt260
12-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Sweet. A tuesday night throwdown between fraz and Skip. Now THIS is entertainment ladies and gentlemen.

Taco John
12-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Now, I don't even know if I'll keep them for Sunday Ticket - how can I continue to do business with these thieving weasels?

[thumbs in ears]

LALALALALALALALALALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALALA!

[/thumbs in ears]

ENDelt260
12-06-2005, 09:48 PM
What's with the uber-homo avy there, TJ? You lose a bet?

Logical
12-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Tim what you just described is the bad news, the good news is the local channels should be in HD on your new antenna in the next 6 to 12 months. Detroit, SF and a few others already have them and they are rolling it out as fast as possible. From what I was told all the major metropolitan areas are supposed to be available without needing the extra antenna before 2007. I was a little miffed about this myself. By the way I bought my HD DVR from Best Buy and it is compatible with the local channel dish so I am not sure I would trust the DTV rep that told you it would not work. Here it does not help because we cannot get Line of Sight over the air signals anyway.

JimNasium
12-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm sick of them as well. I'm making the jump back to Mediacom. I give it 12-14 months before I'm pissed at them too.

ChiefsLV
12-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Check the back of your HD reciever. It should have a spot to plug in an HD antenna. Yes, you'll be forking over a few extra $$$ for an HD antenna, but you'll be able to get your local channels in HD. Don't know how it is in KC or wherever you are, but here in Vegas, we get the HD channels pretty good over the airwaves.

Taco John
12-06-2005, 09:51 PM
This damned board only lets you have 150 pixel wide avatars, where on the Mane, we are up to 200. So all my fun stuff is 200 and I'm too busy to format them down to fit both this board and that board... So you guys get the second rate shyt. :)

Bwana
Keep on the pricks until they fold. What a load of bullshit.

Frazod
[thumbs in ears]

LALALALALALALALALALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LALALALALA!

[/thumbs in ears]

I paid $650 for equipment and installation. Granted, I'll get $200 back from a mail-in rebate, but still - $450 for equipment that is basically useless to me. I want to TiVo new HD episodes of Lost and HD Chiefs games, not reruns of Law and Order SVU on f#cking Bravo.

Am I really supposed to just sit still for that?

tk13
I honestly don't know how the HDTV for local channels works on DTV.... although I do believe it's pretty hard to get that waiver for the national HD network feed.

I figured if anybody would carry HD local programming, it'd be a place like Chicago. Most places though you still need a digital antenna to pick up HD programming on your local station.

Katipan
12-06-2005, 09:53 PM
This damned board only lets you have 150 pixel wide avatars, where on the Mane, we are up to 200. So all my fun stuff is 200 and I'm too busy to format them down to fit both this board and that board... So you guys get the second rate shyt. :)

you should let me find an av for you

Raiderhader
12-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Your avatar reflects upon you more so than it does up on us. If you're cool with it.....

Frazod
Check the back of your HD reciever. It should have a spot to plug in an HD antenna. Yes, you'll be forking over a few extra $$$ for an HD antenna, but you'll be able to get your local channels in HD. Don't know how it is in KC or wherever you are, but here in Vegas, we get the HD channels pretty good over the airwaves.

There isn't a special plug for an HD antenna - just a regular co-ax jack for a normal antenna. I assume that won't do the trick.

trndobrd
I paid $650 for equipment and installation. Granted, I'll get $200 back from a mail-in rebate, but still - $450 for equipment that is basically useless to me. I want to TiVo new HD episodes of Lost and HD Chiefs games, not reruns of Law and Order SVU on f#cking Bravo.

Stop payment on the check, or tell your credit card company that you were a victim of fraud and they need to stop payment.

Saulbadguy
12-06-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm not sure its direcTV's fault, I think it may be your local networks fault. They have not reached an agreement to allow DirecTV to broadcast their channels in HD.

Just a guess.

This is why I have cable, though. No need to buy any equipment.

memyselfI
Hopefully you paid with a credit card. Call your credit card company and start disputing the charge. Say they made fraudulent representations and sold you equipment that would not work as promised.

That being said, you won't get fooled again by DTV.

Logical

Am I really supposed to just sit still for that?Did they at least give you the three months of free HD for your inconvenience Tim? They did that for me to sooth my annoyance and that covers the rest of the NFL season at least.

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Chill out francis, you just need an off-air antenna for your HD locals. You are less than 30 miles from the transmitters, so it won't be any problem. Best of all, all of the transmitter sites are in the same direction from your house. I would suggest this antenna:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=ANC4228

You can put this baby in your attic or outside and it should work fine. I'm about the same distance from the Atlanta transmitters, and this antenna worked in my living room, before I even put it up in the attic. It's a killer!

It's worth the effort of putting up the off-air antenna, the picture quality is actually better (less compression) than satellite, anyway.

DT

Here's a listing of the channels you have available:

DTV Antenna Type Call Sign Channel Network City State LiveDate Compass Orientation Miles From Frequency Assignment
* red - uhf WPWR-DT 50.1 UPN GARY IN 75 27.5 51
* red - uhf WLS-DT 7.1 ABC CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 52
* red - uhf WMAQ-DT 5.1 NBC CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 29
* red - uhf WGN-DT 9.1 WB CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 19
* red - uhf WXFT-DT 60.1 TFA AURORA IL 75 27.5 59
* red - uhf WCPX-DT 38.1 i CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 43
* blue - uhf WFLD-DT 32.1 FOX CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 31
* blue - uhf WCIU-DT 26.1 IND CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 27
* blue - uhf WSNS-DT 44.1 TEL CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 45
* blue - uhf WTTW-DT 11.1 PBS CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 47
* violet - uhf WYCC-DT 20.1 PBS CHICAGO IL 73 28.5 21
* violet - uhf WJYS-DT 36.1 REL HAMMOND IN 75 27.5 36
* violet - vhf WBBM-DT 2.1 CBS CHICAGO IL 73 28.5 3

Taco John
12-06-2005, 09:57 PM

I hear ya man... But they've got me by the nuts with their teeth. They could call me every Monday morning to tell me that I'm a tortilla eating beanr with the breath of a burro after a donkey show, and I'm not going to miss my Direct Ticket payment. It's kind of like when you're in prison and you see the guards beat the hell out of one of your jail buddies a few cells down. All you can do is mind your business and be glad as hell it's not you.

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Sweet. A tuesday night throwdown between fraz and Skip. Now THIS is entertainment ladies and gentlemen."I WISH I LIVED IN A TIME WHEN YOU COULD CHALLENGE A PERSON TO A DUEL!"

morphius
This is why I have stayed away from DirectTV until they get their equipment up to snuff. Of course you don't need HDTV with Direct TV's great picture, or so I have heard...

dtebbe
There isn't a special plug for an HD antenna - just a regular co-ax jack for a normal antenna. I assume that won't do the trick.

There is no such thing as a HD antenna. You just use a standard off-air UHF antenna. See my post below.

DT

Logical
12-06-2005, 10:00 PM
There isn't a special plug for an HD antenna - just a regular co-ax jack for a normal antenna. I assume that won't do the trick.Actually it should Tim, over the air HD is encoded into the signal so that it can be broadcast via the airwaves, I believe it is connected via normal coax.

Taco John
Your avatar reflects upon you more so than it does up on us. If you're cool with it.....

Actually, I do kind of like it.

ENDelt260
I think Taco is scared of girls.

Katipan
12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
I think Taco is scared of girls.

I'm changing my name to Jamie.

ChiefsLV
12-06-2005, 10:03 PM
There is no such thing as a HD antenna. You just use a standard off-air UHF antenna. See my post below.

DT

What is this then?

http://tv.about.com/od/glossary/g/OffAirHDAntenna.htm

PastorMikH
12-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Shoot the new equipment and turn it in on your homeowners insurance.:)

Raiderhader
12-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Actually, I do kind of like it.

I'm not surprised.

Frazod
12-06-2005, 10:04 PM

DT

Thanks. I missed your earlier post.

I actually found one that I can hook up inside my house that has gotten decent reviews. I guess I'll try that first.

KChiefsQT
12-06-2005, 10:06 PM

Did you sign anything? Or order on the telephone. . . because if you didn't sign you should be able to fight for your money back.

Raiderhader
12-06-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm changing my name to Jamie.

I'm not entirely sure I follow, but I'll call you whatever you want.

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks. I missed your earlier post.

I actually found one that I can hook up inside my house that has gotten decent reviews. I guess I'll try that first.

I think you are going to need more than that, 27 miles is a pretty good clip, I think you are going to need a good sized directional. See:

http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I've found this site to be pretty spot-on, usually you can get away with a little smaller antenna than they say.

The only problem you may have is with the CBS affilate, since they have thier HD signal on low-band VHF.

Trust me, it's worth the effort and expense.

This wasn't direcTv's fault, you just had a shitty installer. Any installer that knew what they were doing would have explained what you needed and offered to install it for you. I think the going rate for a off-air antenna is between $50-$100.

DT

C-Mac

Does your TV have a built in HD Decoder?

Katipan
I'm not entirely sure I follow, but I'll call you whatever you want.

End said TJ would respond to you, but not to me.

So... I figured... ;)

DomCasual
12-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Stuff like this doesn't happen to Broncos fans. You should switch over - seriously.

Raiderhader
12-06-2005, 10:14 PM
End said TJ would respond to you, but not to me.

So... I figured... ;)

Gotcha.

But here's the preoblem with that, Jamie doubles as a girl's name. It might not increase your odds of a response.

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:15 PM
What is this then?

http://tv.about.com/od/glossary/g/OffAirHDAntenna.htm

Total bunk, an off-air antenna is a off-air antenna. HD signals are in the same band(s) and standard NTSC signals.

DT

KC Jones
12-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Should have gone with Dish Network.

:D

Frazod
12-06-2005, 10:18 PM
I think you are going to need more than that, 27 miles is a pretty good clip, I think you are going to need a good sized directional. See:

http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

I've found this site to be pretty spot-on, usually you can get away with a little smaller antenna than they say.

The only problem you may have is with the CBS affilate, since they have thier HD signal on low-band VHF.

Trust me, it's worth the effort and expense.

This wasn't direcTv's fault, you just had a shitty installer. Any installer that knew what they were doing would have explained what you needed and offered to install it for you. I think the going rate for a off-air antenna is between $50-$100.

DT

Every customer service asshole that I yelled at tonight told me that this is a common experience. They should have told me about this when I ordered the equipment in the first place. One simple question - "do you plan on watching local channels?" would have been sufficient. I would have happily ordered the proper equipment, and that would have been the end of it. Instead, this happened. I don't blame the installer.

And I'm about 35 miles from downtown, so perhaps I should go with the attic receiver.

Frazod
12-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Stuff like this doesn't happen to Broncos fans. You should switch over - seriously.

I prefer teams that actually WIN in December. Sorry. :p

Baconeater
12-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I learned my lesson with DirecTv years ago.

Never again.

No way.

Never never never.

Skip Towne
12-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I haven't read the thread yet, but I will. So far, you did all this shit without consulting me. You should know better than that. And I did read that you thought Directv would give (or sell) you the equipment to get your off air signals in hi-def? How stupid can you get? Directv deals in digital satellite signals only. I'm tired tonight but will look into this in the morning. Not that you deserve it. You'd rather fly off the handle than deal reasonably.

ENDelt260
12-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Oh, bullshit. I don't wanna wait til morning!

Pissing match! Now, damnit! I'm a paying customer!

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Every customer service asshole that I yelled at tonight told me that this is a common experience. They should have told me about this when I ordered the equipment in the first place. One simple question - "do you plan on watching local channels?" would have been sufficient. I would have happily ordered the proper equipment, and that would have been the end of it. Instead, this happened. I don't blame the installer.

And I'm about 35 miles from downtown, so perhaps I should go with the attic receiver.

I agree, they just assume too much sometimes, but the installer still should have told you what you needed and offered to take care of it before he left.

If I were you I would try a call a few places (installers or stores) and find out what antenna works best in your area. In atlanta, that CM4228 is the hot-ticket for attic use, all the way out to 40-50 miles. I'll bet if you call a few places you will find a pattern in what they reccomend. The only issue I see is that CBS affilate in low VHF.

DT

WilliamTheIrish
12-06-2005, 10:25 PM
I haven't read the thread yet, but I will. So far, you did all this shit without consulting me. You should know better than that. And I did read that you thought Directv would give (or sell) you the equipment to get your off air signals in hi-def? How stupid can you get? Directv deals in digital satellite signals only. I'm tired tonight but will look into this in the morning. Not that you deserve it. You'd rather fly off the handle than deal reasonably.

Like you old people need sleep.....

Cochise
12-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Man, talk about some straight up BS.

I'm glad I live where I can get all the games so I don't have to jump through all these hoops. Sheesh :shake:

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Man, talk about some straight up BS.

I'm glad I live where I can get all the games so I don't have to jump through all these hoops. Sheesh :shake:

Supposedly next year Sunday Ticket is not going to be blacked out due to local affilates showing the same games. It's about Fing time.

DT

Baconeater
12-06-2005, 10:27 PM
No, I'm letting them off too easy. Lying, deceptive, bend over while we ass-rape you f*cking piece of shit of a company.

Frazod
12-06-2005, 10:28 PM
I agree, they just assume too much sometimes, but the installer still should have told you what you needed and offered to take care of it before he left.

If I were you I would try a call a few places (installers or stores) and find out what antenna works best in your area. In atlanta, that CM4228 is the hot-ticket for attic use, all the way out to 40-50 miles. I'll bet if you call a few places you will find a pattern in what they reccomend. The only issue I see is that CBS affilate in low VHF.

DT

Thanks. :thumb:

ChiefsLV
12-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Total bunk, an off-air antenna is a off-air antenna. HD signals are in the same band(s) and standard NTSC signals.

DT

I see, one of those marketing tactics eh? Know of a good indoor antenna for HD?

Frazod
12-06-2005, 10:29 PM
No, I'm letting them off too easy. Lying, deceptive, bend over while we ass-rape you f*cking piece of shit of a company.

Yeah, I definitely felt like I deserved a kiss and a cigarette after this.

Instead, I won't even get the goddamn common courtesy of a reach-around. :grr:

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:30 PM

I've been a customer since 1996, and they've always been great. Most of my gripes have been with BS NFL policies dealing with local affilates determining what non-home team games get blacked out. I was also pissed when I couldn't get the Miami game earlier this year, but that was again NFL BS.

When you compare DirecTv to cable, well, there is no comparison.

DT

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
I see, one of those marketing tactics eh? Know of a good indoor antenna for HD?

There are some design characteristics that make some antennas better for HDTV in certain situations, mostly when you are very close to the transmitter sites. In that instance you want an antenna with a good front-back ratio, to prevent multipath problems (used to show up as ghosting in NTSC, now just causes excessive error rates).

As far as an indoor antenna.. It really depends on where you are in relation to the transmitter sites. What's your zipcode?

DT

Skip Towne
12-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Like you old people need sleep.....
Hehe. I have just enough energy left to tell you to go f*ck yourself.

Logical
12-06-2005, 10:36 PM

Pissing match! Now, damnit! I'm a paying customer!Unless we are talking about beer I doubt it.

ChiefsLV
12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
There are some design characteristics that make some antennas better for HDTV in certain situations, mostly when you are very close to the transmitter sites. In that instance you want an antenna with a good front-back ratio, to prevent multipath problems (used to show up as ghosting in NTSC, now just causes excessive error rates).

As far as an indoor antenna.. It really depends on where you are in relation to the transmitter sites. What's your zipcode?

DT

Skip Towne
12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Hehe. I have just enough energy left to tell you to go f*ck yourself.
I am seriously beat tonight, Fraz, but I will look into it for you tomorrow.

Logical
12-06-2005, 10:40 PM
dtebbe,

It says I would need a Blue Antenna which would be a large amplified directional antenna. However it does not say how high it would have to be mounted. Is it your understanding it would not matter. Out here in San Diego there is no such thing as LOS due to the terrain. Thanks for the site info.

Baconeater
12-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I've been a customer since 1996, and they've always been great. Most of my gripes have been with BS NFL policies dealing with local affilates determining what non-home team games get blacked out. I was also pissed when I couldn't get the Miami game earlier this year, but that was again NFL BS.

When you compare DirecTv to cable, well, there is no comparison.

DT

Hey, the product is great, I'll give them that. I'm not going to go into detail about the BS they put me thru a few years back, I'll just say their business practices are shady. They never tell you the whole story, even flat-out lie at times and if you want the Sunday Ticket they gouge you at every turn. I have 6 TVs hooked up to cable, it would cost me $80 a month in programming and reciever fees that I HAVE to buy if I want the Ticket. Christ, I don't hardly watch TV other than a few basic cable channels. It's f*cking bullshit. Why can't I get the Ticket by itself hooked up to the one TV that I watch it on and keep the cable on my other TVs? Because they want to milk you for every f-ing cent they can. F#ck them.

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:46 PM

It shows yellow for al your major networks, so I'd say the silver sensor should work:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SHDTVI

What an odd market, they are mostly VHF, most of the country is UHF on HD. I would actually try plain old rabbit ears first, they will proably get you NBC, ABC, CBS, and PBS.

* yellow - vhf KVBC-DT 3.1 NBC LAS VEGAS NV 115 21.4 2
* yellow - vhf KTNV-DT 13.1 ABC LAS VEGAS NV 126 23.1 12
* yellow - vhf KLVX-DT 10.1 PBS LAS VEGAS NV 115 21.5 11
* yellow - vhf KLAS-DT 8.1 CBS LAS VEGAS NV 126 23.1 7
* green - uhf KBLR-DT 40.1 TEL PARADISE NV 114 21.4 40
* green - uhf KINC-DT 16.1 UNI LAS VEGAS NV 126 23.0 16
* blue - uhf KVWB-DT 22.1 WB LAS VEGAS NV 115 21.4 22
* blue - uhf KFBT-DT 33.1 IND LAS VEGAS NV 115 21.4 29

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 10:53 PM
dtebbe,

It says I would need a Blue Antenna which would be a large amplified directional antenna. However it does not say how high it would have to be mounted. Is it your understanding it would not matter. Out here in San Diego there is no such thing as LOS due to the terrain. Thanks for the site info.

That's one of those situations where you really need to talk to someone (like an installer) who has a feel for what will work in your area. What is your zip?

DT

DaneMcCloud
12-06-2005, 10:59 PM
In Los Angeles, we've had HD Local channels since 2004. I bought my first HDTV in July 2003, so it was a long wait. Hopefully, your wait won't be as long. I tried a couple of table top HDTV antennas and a rooftop, but since I'm in a small canyon in the hills, I couldn't get signal. I was bummed out as well, especially considering that live sporting events not broadcast in HD look absolutely awful on an HDTV.

This is the first year that DTV has charged for the HD Channels. That kinda bummed me out, but what bums me out more is that fact that CBS only broadcasts "select" games in HD each week. Fox broadcasts every game in HD, but that's only good when the Chiefs play a NFC team at Arrowhead.

The additional HD channels are pretty good. ESPN & ESPN 2, HBO, Showtime, Discovery and more, but my favorite has to be Universal HD, which has Law & Order SVU episodes and a ton of other NBC/Universal programming. It's pretty cool.

Look at the brightside though - now you'll be able to fully enjoy all the DVD's in your collections. It's the best reason to have an HDTV.

Dane

Skip Towne
12-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Hey, the product is great, I'll give them that. I'm not going to go into detail about the BS they put me thru a few years back, I'll just say their business practices are shady. They never tell you the whole story, even flat-out lie at times and if you want the Sunday Ticket they gouge you at every turn. I have 6 TVs hooked up to cable, it would cost me $80 a month in programming and reciever fees that I HAVE to buy if I want the Ticket. Christ, I don't hardly watch TV other than a few basic cable channels. It's f*cking bullshit. Why can't I get the Ticket by itself hooked up to the one TV that I watch it on and keep the cable on my other TVs? Because they want to milk you for every f-ing cent they can. F#ck them.
Your and idiot and your information is incorrect.

WilliamTheIrish
12-06-2005, 11:02 PM

Hey, you're up late, old fella.

Go to bed, retart.

Frazod
12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
dtebbe - do you think any of those indoor Terk antennas will work for me? It sure would be alot simpler to deal with - plus, I'm about as far removed from being handy as one can get.

Zip is 60563

Logical
12-06-2005, 11:06 PM
That's one of those situations where you really need to talk to someone (like an installer) who has a feel for what will work in your area. What is your zip?

DT92064

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 11:07 PM
dtebbe - do you think any of those indoor Terk antennas will work for me? It sure would be alot simpler to deal with - plus, I'm about as far removed from being handy as one can get.

Zip is 60563

I really doubt it. You are about the same distance away as me, and this antnna would not work inside for me:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=4&CAT=&PROD=GEMDTV-1

Seriously, talk to a few folks around where you live. As much as I hate to say it, see if there is an independantly owned Radio Shack near you. They probably will have an idea of what works.

When you put an outdoor antenna inside you pretty much reduce the range by about 1/2 (3db) at least.

DT

Skip Towne
12-06-2005, 11:07 PM

Zip is 60563
Well, you didn't ask me..........again. But those Terk antennas are the equivalent of rabbit ears. Except they don't occupy space on top of your TV.

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 11:13 PM

That's ugly, you must have some serious terrain around you. 15-20 miles, yet suggesting a medium directional with preamp. I can't touch that one. It' doesn't show may signals in HD either, are FOX and NBC available in HD in your area?

DT

Frazod
12-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Okay dtebbe and/or skip - so with the antenna that goes in the attic - I just stick it up there and fiddle with it until I get a good signal, then run the cable down and that's it?

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Well, you didn't ask me..........again. But those Terk antennas are the equivalent of rabbit ears. Except they don't occupy space on top of your TV.

We thought you were going to bed... old man :)

DT

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Okay dtebbe and/or skip - so with the antenna that goes in the attic - I just stick it up there and fiddle with it until I get a good signal, then run the cable down and that's it?

You should get a directional antenna and point it on a heading about 80 degrees (East). Get it located where you have the best signal, lock it down, and then feed the cable down. If you are not real handy, you may want to have your install guy come back.

DT

Logical
12-06-2005, 11:21 PM
That's ugly, you must have some serious terrain around you. 15-20 miles, yet suggesting a medium directional with preamp. I can't touch that one. It' doesn't show may signals in HD either, are FOX and NBC available in HD in your area?

DTYes all four major networks broadcast HD out here, not that it does me any good.

DomCasual
12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
I prefer teams that actually WIN in December. Sorry. :p
Touche.

Frazod
12-06-2005, 11:23 PM
You should get a directional antenna and point it on a heading about 80 degrees (East). Get it located where you have the best signal, lock it down, and then feed the cable down. If you are not real handy, you may want to have your install guy come back.

DT

I think I'll get help - I want this done right, and the antenna will have to go in the attic. I'll call the guy who put my dish in when I first moved out here 4 1/2 years ago - he's a straight shooter who was very informative. The assclown DirecTV sent out today gets no more of my money.

Frazod
12-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Touche.

Obviously, winning in January is optional. :banghead:

Baconeater
12-06-2005, 11:27 PM

That's funny, because that's the info I was given by DirecTv. Like you even know, their policies seem to change every time I call them. Unless you care to post the correct information don't tell me mine is incorrect.

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I think I'll get help - I want this done right, and the antenna will have to go in the attic. I'll call the guy who put my dish in when I first moved out here 4 1/2 years ago - he's a straight shooter who was very informative. The assclown DirecTV sent out today gets no more of my money.

Good choice. If you have a Fry's close to you they have a pretty good selection of antennas at great prices, and you save on shipping. If your installer is still active he will probably have the antenna you need in the back of his van/truck. Despite the let down early on, one you get it working you will love it.

Did you get the HD Tivo?

DT

C-Mac
12-06-2005, 11:29 PM

Zip is 60563

....all of this is a moog point if the TV doesnt have a HD tuner built in :)

Frazod
12-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Good choice. If you have a Fry's close to you they have a pretty good selection of antennas at great prices, and you save on shipping. If your installer is still active he will probably have the antenna you need in the back of his van/truck. Despite the let down early on, one you get it working you will love it.

Did you get the HD Tivo?

DT

There's a Fry's a couple of miles from here. I'll check with them.

And yes, I got the HD TiVo.

Now, I assume I'll be able to plug the antenna into the receiver and there will be a way to TiVo local channels. Is that correct? (Assuming how this HD shit will/should work has gotten me into all kinds of trouble.)

C-Mac
12-06-2005, 11:35 PM

Now, I assume I'll be able to plug the antenna into the receiver and there will be a way to TiVo local channels. Is that correct? (Assuming how this HD shit will/should work has gotten me into all kinds of trouble.)

Should all work if the HD Tivo has a built in HD tuner

Archie F. Swin
12-06-2005, 11:36 PM
If it makes you feel any better Tim, I dropped $9.95 on rabbit ears for my LD 19" color television so I could watch the Donx/Chiefs game.

I kind like this no cable bill thing.

Logical
12-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Now, I assume I'll be able to plug the antenna into the receiver and there will be a way to TiVo local channels. Is that correct? (Assuming how this HD shit will/should work has gotten me into all kinds of trouble.)Now that is a really good question, if you actually have a TIVO it works off the guide, I have no idea how you would record something that was not in the guide.

C-Mac
12-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Now that is a really good question, if you actually have a TIVO it works off the guide, I have no idea how you would record something that was not in the guide.
It should record anything streaming thru it.....programming it is another issue.

dtebbe
12-06-2005, 11:38 PM

Yes, once you hook up your off-air antenn you do the guided setup again and it sets up your off-air HD channels and puts them in your guide. You can Tivo them just like any other DiecTV channel. The HD Tivo actually has 4 tuners inside, 2 DirecTV and 2 offair HD, so you can record 2 shows at once from either source. It's a great box. I put a 400GB drive in mine right after I got it, so I've got 50hrs of HD recording and over 300 SD. A great forum for the Tivo is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Great guys over there, will answer any questions you have.

I bet if you post over there and ask about off-air reception in your area someone will respond quickly with the answers you need.

DT

Frazod
12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks for your help everybody (especially dtebbe). I'm still furious with those pricks at DTV for not having the rudimentary consideration to provide me with basic information prior to my purchase, but it looks like I'll be able to work around it by installing the attic antenna. I'll start placing calls tomorrow and hopefully have this shit dealt with by next week.

dtebbe
12-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your help everybody (especially dtebbe). I'm still furious with those pricks at DTV for not having the rudimentary consideration to provide me with basic information prior to my purchase, but it looks like I'll be able to work around it by installing the attic antenna. I'll start placing calls tomorrow and hopefully have this shit dealt with by next week.

See:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=444398&page=58&pp=30

Looks like quite a few happy customers of Barrett Antenna out of Carol Stream. Looks like that VHF station it a Beyoch to get...

DT

TopJet2
12-07-2005, 12:05 AM
I cant imagine DTV being less than honest.

Bob Dole
12-07-2005, 02:52 AM

Pissing match! Now, damnit! I'm a paying customer!

Apparently not.

There's no "Premium" designation under your name.

HMc
12-07-2005, 06:27 AM
This is all very familiar. Here in Australia there is a monopoly on paytv in the capital cities. "Foxtel" is a quarter owned by, yep you guessed it, News Corp.

The service is atrocious.

Even if you do have it you get bugger all NFL. The two ABC/ESPN games are shown each week along with 1 or 2 FOX games, depending on whether they have the doubleheader (i think). So the chiefs are strictly a bittorrent only proposition. Thumbs up to DRU on that front, i have to say.

1adam1238
12-07-2005, 06:53 AM
I hate Directv.....the only reason I have them is to watch the Chiefs because I live in the boonies. There service is terrible and trying to talk to someone can be just as hard on there damn phone system.

Swanman
12-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Fraz,

All is not lost on the HD front. I was in the same boat as you about a year ago when I moved into my townhome and got an HDTV. I thought I was going to have to get a fancy expensive antenna to pick up HD, but ended up getting the following antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007HULD/ref=nosim/103-0931935-6633435?n=172282

It's called the Silver Sensor, made by Zenith. I got it at Sears, but I'm not sure if it's still carried there. I just set the antenna on top of my tv pointing east towards downtown, and it easily pulls in the HD feeds for NBC, ABC and FOX by plugging the antenna into the dtv box and doing a search for locals with the box. You should be able to pull them in as well because you're probably closer to downtown than me. The HD feeds of those channels will be at 5-1, 7-1 and 32-1. For CBS, you should be able to get Directv to unlock channel 80 for you, which is CBS HD out of NY. Chicago has already received the waiver for the national feed so they should just be able to hit a button and give it to you. The CSR probably just didn't know that. That's why it's called CSR Roulette with them, you get something different everytime you call.

morphius
12-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Isn't the HD Tivo going to be obsolete soon on Direct TV? Or did that change again?

KChiefs1
12-07-2005, 08:49 AM
You should be able to get FOX in HD on channel 88 outta NYC. ESPN & ESPN2 are both in HD too.

How close are the stations to your house? I have a TERK indoor tube antenna hooked up to my Directv receiver & I get all my locals in HD by OTA.

skye22f
12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
This is pretty damn common knowledge.

You should have done a little research before sinking hundreds or thousands of dollars.

This isn't their fault, it's the law.

dtebbe
12-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Fraz,

All is not lost on the HD front. I was in the same boat as you about a year ago when I moved into my townhome and got an HDTV. I thought I was going to have to get a fancy expensive antenna to pick up HD, but ended up getting the following antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007HULD/ref=nosim/103-0931935-6633435?n=172282

It's called the Silver Sensor, made by Zenith. I got it at Sears, but I'm not sure if it's still carried there. I just set the antenna on top of my tv pointing east towards downtown, and it easily pulls in the HD feeds for NBC, ABC and FOX by plugging the antenna into the dtv box and doing a search for locals with the box. You should be able to pull them in as well because you're probably closer to downtown than me. The HD feeds of those channels will be at 5-1, 7-1 and 32-1. For CBS, you should be able to get Directv to unlock channel 80 for you, which is CBS HD out of NY. Chicago has already received the waiver for the national feed so they should just be able to hit a button and give it to you. The CSR probably just didn't know that. That's why it's called CSR Roulette with them, you get something different everytime you call.

Here you go Frazod... someone from your area. Here is a link to the silver sensor:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=3&CAT=&PROD=ZHDTV1

I figured someone would pop up in your area. Amazing it happened here! The Silver Sensor is a very good antenna. It was the reference antenna used during many of the original HD trials. Get the waiver for CBS and you are all set!

DT

The Bad Guy
12-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Call DirectTV back. Call the retention number.

Explain to them your problem. Tell them you want to swap out the HD receiver they gave you for an HD Tivo and an off air antenna. This would solve your problem completely.

Again, don't call the standard number. THey will just **** you around. Call retention. 800-924-9081. They are the ones that will instantly fix this.

Frazod
12-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Fraz,

Thanks. I'll check into that ASAP. :thumb:

Mr. Laz
12-07-2005, 10:22 AM
HD is a big cluster fook all-around

the media people don't want you to be able to record HD signal because the "quality is too good". So they have tried to make connection between signal and recording as difficult as possible.

Coax in ......... HDMI/DVI out

but most if not all the recording stuff only have Coax in.

they also have copyright protections in the HDMI that blocks recording.

bastards!! ... they could of just used an enhanced digital coax cable and none of these connection issues would of happened.

same goes for all this HD local channels vrs satellite signals etc. Everyone is scramble so hard for every penny they can pinch that is the customer that gets screwed(per usual) while the FCC sits around with it's thumb up it's arse watching to make sure you don't see any more boobies. :rolleyes:

vailpass
12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
Call DirectTV back. Call the retention number.

Explain to them your problem. Tell them you want to swap out the HD receiver they gave you for an HD Tivo and an off air antenna. This would solve your problem completely.

Again, don't call the standard number. THey will just **** you around. Call retention. 800-924-9081. They are the ones that will instantly fix this.

This is solid advice.

Baby Lee
12-07-2005, 10:34 AM
HD is a big cluster fook all-around

the media people don't want you to be able to record HD signal because the "quality is too good". So they have tried to make connection between signal and recording as difficult as possible.
Love me some HDTV Wonder.
http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html

Mr. Laz
12-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Love me some HDTV Wonder.
http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html
ya ... i got a HD tuner card myself :thumb:

but unlike non HD stuff i can't run a connection from my cable tuner box to my computer and get all the HD goodness because of the HDMI out and on Coax in issue. :(

BIG_DADDY
12-07-2005, 10:44 AM
For the record I believe they said there is a good chance there will be no blacked out games anymore due to the huge amount of revenue received from season ticket.

dj56dt58
12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Was it customer service you called or possibly an inbound telemarketing place? I'm a telemarketer and i do know that half the time you think your calling customer service your getting sells people. they probably sold you this w/o telling u that info to get their sell. they could care less if you get screwed or not.

MichaelH
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
The problem with any utility company is they pay peanuts and have squirrels running customer service. Most of the halfwits running the show don't even know what they're selling.

I had a similar situation happen to me with Time Warner Cable. I bought the digital package that had digital quality sound and picture. I asked the technician if I could hook the cable box up to the optical input on my surround sound receiver. His response was "why would you want to do that?" I told him that if the audio was truly digital, plugging it into normal jacks would degrade the sound quality. It turned out they don't offer such a cable box and probably never will. So what's the sense of offering a superior picture or audio when the equiptment carrying it is junk? My guess is most people have no clue and fall victim to the flashy advertising.

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Dtbbe knows more about HD and Tivo stuff than I do and what he is telling you I agree with. I think you bought your equipment from a dealer rather than Directv themselves. There are several national dealers that want you to think they are Directv. I run into that all the time. They even list themselves as Directv in the larger cities' phonebooks. Calling customer retention is an excellent idea. Say "Dish Network" a lot. Tell them Dish is offering to give you all this stuff free. Also, ask them who you actually bought the equipment from. Most states have a cooling off period for big ticket purchases. Your employer can tell you about that. Some of the TV people will tell you there is such a thing as an HD antenna but I don't believe it. I would test it outside (run the coax in through a window) before putting it in the attic. Most installers do not fool with off-air antennas at all. They are just too quirky and reception is not guaranteed to be acceptable. I've run into situations where no reception at all was gained after installing the antenna. Electrical power stations play hell with off-air signals and they can be out of sight several miles away. I'd start with rabbit ears and work up. Yelling at CSR people is usually counter productive. Try to be your usual gentlemanly self. They are $8 help who can only read from a script. I think your chances of getting your money back are very good. Damn this is a long post. Now I'm tired again.

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I hate Directv.....the only reason I have them is to watch the Chiefs because I live in the boonies. There service is terrible and trying to talk to someone can be just as hard on there damn phone system.
You can always ask me on here. If I don't know the answer I will try to find out for you. I have very reliable sources and I won't pump you full of shit. If you try to talk to them first, you'll most likely get what Fraz got.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2005, 11:56 AM
You can always ask me on here. If I don't know the answer I will try to find out for you. I have very reliable sources and I won't pump you full of shit.
what's the easiet way to find out if i can move my dish up onto my roof and shoot through the power lines instead of having it on the ground and shooting through every branch and twig in the park behind my house?

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 12:12 PM
what's the easiet way to find out if i can move my dish up onto my roof and shoot through the power lines instead of having it on the ground and shooting through every branch and twig in the park behind my house?
You can definately move the dish up on your house. Make sure the pole is plumb and do not change the elevation or skew setting. Note the direction the dish is pointing before you take it off the pole. After you re-mount the dish on the pole, start to the east of where you think it should be aimed and very slowly rotate it toward the west till the on screen meter shows the highest signal. Then lock it down. The signal meter is located in the menu of all Directv receivers. But different models require different procedures to get there. Mine is a D-10 and I first go into the menu, click settings, then setup, then satellite, then view signal strength. Power lines do not hurt the signal like trees and solid objects do. Let me know if you have any problems.

Frazod
12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, I'm gonna head out and try to find one of these Silver Sensor things. Assuming I can get it plugged into the box and it works, and I eventually can get all my channels, I'll be okay with the stuff I bought.

Will report back later.

Coach
12-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Good luck.

Herzig
12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
You can always ask me on here. If I don't know the answer I will try to find out for you. I have very reliable sources and I won't pump you full of shit. If you try to talk to them first, you'll most likely get what Fraz got.

You deserve a raise Mike. I'll put in a good word for you.

dtebbe
12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm gonna head out and try to find one of these Silver Sensor things. Assuming I can get it plugged into the box and it works, and I eventually can get all my channels, I'll be okay with the stuff I bought.

Will report back later.

How exciting... let me know if it works! :)

DT

Valiant
12-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Didnt read the replys but..

Most states have buyer recourse or return policies of at least 14 days on almost all items.. You might have to pay a restocking fee, for activating the card.. I am guessing like 200 dollars for labor and the card activation..

If you bought it at a store like best buy or radioshack then just return it and have them cancel the service... Hopefully you will just be out labor if you had it installed or the card if activated..

The other thing you can do...

Get ahold of the Better buisness burea and inform them you were lied to and sold the wrong equipment and they will not let you return it for money or the right equipment...

13and3
12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
all he needs if his hdtv does not already have tuner built in, is to buy a hdtv over air tuner at walmart for about 80 bucks and put an antenna on the roof of his house if a regular antenna wont suffice. I have a built in hdtv tuner in my hidef hitachi and a small house hold antenna and 4, 5, 9, 41, and other channels always transmitt in high def, chiefs games or otherwise.

JBucc
12-07-2005, 08:02 PM
About a year and a half ago my grandma got Directv for some reason, even though all she ever watches is QVC, HGTV and Lifetime. She got a deal and all that she didn't have to pay for the equipment if she tried it out for 3 months and didn't like it.After her 3 months were up she decided she didn't need it anymore and went back to cable. So then Directv says they are going to need their equipment back, but those cheap shitholes wouldn't come and get it down, she, a 71 year old lady would have to climb up on her roof to get it down or she would have to pay for it. So I ended up climbing up on her roof and I just ripped their shit up and threw it down to the ground. ****ers

TopJet2
12-07-2005, 08:06 PM
The problem with any utility company is they pay peanuts and have squirrels running customer service. Most of the halfwits running the show don't even know what they're selling.

I had a similar situation happen to me with Time Warner Cable. I bought the digital package that had digital quality sound and picture. I asked the technician if I could hook the cable box up to the optical input on my surround sound receiver. His response was "why would you want to do that?" I told him that if the audio was truly digital, plugging it into normal jacks would degrade the sound quality. It turned out they don't offer such a cable box and probably never will. So what's the sense of offering a superior picture or audio when the equiptment carrying it is junk? My guess is most people have no clue and fall victim to the flashy advertising.

Sounds like you know what your talking about there:rolleyes:. There is currently a motorola dct that offers optical audio output. Maybe now is never?

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
About a year and a half ago my grandma got Directv for some reason, even though all she ever watches is QVC, HGTV and Lifetime. She got a deal and all that she didn't have to pay for the equipment if she tried it out for 3 months and didn't like it.After her 3 months were up she decided she didn't need it anymore and went back to cable. So then Directv says they are going to need their equipment back, but those cheap shitholes wouldn't come and get it down, she, a 71 year old lady would have to climb up on her roof to get it down or she would have to pay for it. So I ended up climbing up on her roof and I just ripped their shit up and threw it down to the ground. ****ers
I'm skeptical of this story. I've never heard of Directv asking for the dish back. All they want is the receiver and remote control. I've also never heard of a three month free trial. Are you sure that wasn't Dish Network you're talking about? I replaced Dish Network with Directv the other day and the customer called the next day asking where I put the dish as Dish Network wanted it back. Directv even tells you to leave the dish when you participate in their movers program.

andoman
12-07-2005, 08:11 PM
I hear ya man... But they've got me by the nuts with their teeth. They could call me every Monday morning to tell me that I'm a tortilla eating beanr with the breath of a burro after a donkey show, and I'm not going to miss my Direct Ticket payment. It's kind of like when you're in prison and you see the guards beat the hell out of one of your jail buddies a few cells down. All you can do is mind your business and be glad as hell it's not you.

I had no idea TJ ...

JBucc
12-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm skeptical of this story. I've never heard of Directv asking for the dish back. All they want is the receiver and remote control. I've also never heard of a three month free trial. Are you sure that wasn't Dish Network you're talking about? I replaced Dish Network with Directv the other day and the customer called the next day asking where I put the dish as Dish Network wanted it back. Directv even tells you to leave the dish when you participate in their movers program.Hmm...maybe it was but dammit it was somebody and it was hard as **** to get off. And it wasn't exactly a "free" trial as you had to pay for the programming, you just didn't have to pay for the reciever

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Hmm...maybe it was but dammit it was somebody and it was hard as **** to get off. And it wasn't exactly a "free" trial as you had to pay for the programming, you just didn't have to pay for the reciever
Hahahahahaha.

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 08:47 PM

Will report back later.

Wow Tim, a lot of information on here and I am looking forward to finding out how it works.

Fruit Ninja
12-07-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm skeptical of this story. I've never heard of Directv asking for the dish back. All they want is the receiver and remote control. I've also never heard of a three month free trial. Are you sure that wasn't Dish Network you're talking about? I replaced Dish Network with Directv the other day and the customer called the next day asking where I put the dish as Dish Network wanted it back. Directv even tells you to leave the dish when you participate in their movers program.
yep, they want you to leave the dish on the house for the next person. They can give a shit about the dish, they just want the Box.

Frazod
12-07-2005, 10:05 PM
Well, I'm home and have the thing hooked up. I got a Terk model - couldn't find the Silver Sensor, so I'll give this one a shot. It claims to have a 45 range, which is more than enough for me. If it doesn't work, I'll return it.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll let you know in a few minutes if it worked or not.

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, I'm home and have the thing hooked up. I got a Terk model - couldn't find the Silver Sensor, so I'll give this one a shot. It claims to have a 45 range, which is more than enough for me. If it doesn't work, I'll return it.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll let you know in a few minutes if it worked or not.
Good luck. Off air antennas are a crap shoot. The Terk could do great or get nothing. It just depends on the location's circumstances.

Logical
12-07-2005, 10:36 PM
yep, they want you to leave the dish on the house for the next person. They can give a shit about the dish, they just want the Box.Not only that but when I moved they sent me a free dish for the house I was moving into. Honestly customer service must be a 1000 times better out here because I always get right in when I call, get extremely fast and friendly service and if I need to call back they give me an 800 number that bypasses all the computerized nonsense.

Sorry to hear about all the troubles some of you are having. As another example of how good the service is out here, recently I called with a problem and they sent me a free multiswitch and triple LNB to fix the problem.

Frazod
12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Good luck. Off air antennas are a crap shoot. The Terk could do great or get nothing. It just depends on the location's circumstances.

I got nuthin. No signal strength at all on any major channel.

The layout of my building may be the problem. I'm in a middle unit, with my front door facing south. So to the east, there are several units in my building directly between my antenna and Sears Tower, where all this shit originates from.

I guess this thing goes back tomorrow night and I'll try to order the Silver Sensor (not carried in any local store I could find, and I checked pretty much all of them).

I don't hold out much hope, though.

:cuss:

BTW, question for Skip - when I do get a functional antenna, what will I have to do to watch a local antenna-based station? Will it simply override the corresponding non-HD channel, or do I have to find it somewhere else in the guide?

dtebbe
12-07-2005, 10:51 PM

The layout of my building may be the problem. I'm in a middle unit, with my front door facing south. So to the east, there are several units in my building directly between my antenna and Sears Tower, where all this shit originates from.

I guess this thing goes back tomorrow night and I'll try to order the Silver Sensor (not carried in any local store I could find, and I checked pretty much all of them).

BTW, question for Skip - when I do get a functional antenna, what will I have to do to watch a local antenna-based station? Will it simply override the corresponding non-HD channel, or do I have to find it somewhere else in the guide?

Too bad. Your off air locals show up as a -1 in the guide. For example if you have locals and CBS is channel 2, the off air HD would be 2-1 and show up right after ch 2. To direct enter it you press the 2, - (right above "tv input" on remote), 1.

DT

Frazod
12-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Too bad. Your off air locals show up as a -1 in the guide. For example if you have locals and CBS is channel 2, the off air HD would be 2-1 and show up right after ch 2. To direct enter it you press the 2, - (right above "tv input" on remote), 1.

DT

The fact that I'm getting absolute nothing with this leads me to believe that because of the layout of my building I may be forced to go the attic route for extra power (although I run into the same problem there). I guess I could mount an outdoor antenna on the deck (pretty much the only way I could get a direct eastern exposure, since aerial rooftop antennas aren't allowed by the condo association).

This really sucks. :(

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 10:59 PM
It is a travesty that NFL sunday ticket is only available on DirecTV. Anti-trust suit!

ENDelt260
12-07-2005, 11:07 PM
yep, they want you to leave the dish on the house for the next person. They can give a shit about the dish, they just want the Box.
I just want the box, too.

dtebbe
12-07-2005, 11:08 PM
The fact that I'm getting absolute nothing with this leads me to believe that because of the layout of my building I may be forced to go the attic route for extra power (although I run into the same problem there). I guess I could mount an outdoor antenna on the deck (pretty much the only way I could get a direct eastern exposure, since aerial rooftop antennas aren't allowed by the condo association).

This really sucks. :(

Just for grins I would get a long cable and put the antenna you just bought out on the deck and see if you get it then. I bet you will. Also call DirecTv and get the CBS national HD feed turned on, my understanding from reading last night is that there is a standing waiver for chicagoland since it's almost impossible to get Ch2's HD signal.

DT

BIG K
12-07-2005, 11:16 PM
I just got hardcore f#cked - I mean totally and utterly hardcore f#cked - by DirecTV. With no recourse, I am simply stuck with useless equipment and an "I'm sorry sir."

I bought an HDTV last week. The first thing I learned was that I needed to upgrade my receiver and dish, which I did, to the tune of several hundred dollars). Expecting to receive an HDTV signal, I turned on my local CBS channel. No HDTV. I called customer service. I've been on the phone with them repeatedly over the course of the evening. Basically, this is what I've been told.

I MIGHT be able to gain access to the network feed, but DirecTV has to REQUEST PERMISSION from the networks, which they may or may not give, at any point between two weeks and 45 days, if not longer. Basically, there is no guarantee this will ever happen.

There is, apparently, a dish which has a built-in antenna that will receive the local HD signal. Of course, it's not the one that was just installed on the side of my house this afternoon. And the receiver which I had installed this afternoon wouldn't work with the dish that would receive the local signal. And the receiver which would process the local signal doesn't have a DVR, and DirecTV won't offer one until that does for MONTHS.

I swear to God I'm not making this shit up.

And DirecTV doesn't tell you ANY OF THIS - NOT ONE LITTLE BIT OF IT - until it's too late and you've already bought the equipment.

So basically, I've paid hundreds of dollars for a hi-def dish and a hi-def receiver which won't pick up or record the network programs I want to watch in hi-def. Beyond that, DirecTV offers about 7 hi-def channels, none of which I regularly watch.

Also, as far as hi-def games on Sunday Ticket go, surprise, surprise - you have to pay extra for them. And, of course, if I pay extra, and the game happens to be shown on local TV (like the Chiefs/Cowboys game on Sunday), it'll be blacked out on Sunday Ticket, and I won't be able to watch it in hi-def anyway.

So I figured I'd punt. I told them to come get their equipment and give me my money back. They won't take the equipment back or return my money. I own it. And I'm f#cked, and that's the end of it. I have no recourse, except to attempt to sue them, I guess, which I'm probably going to look into. I do have a really nasty lawyer who likes to start class action suits.

I can't believe that when I talked to these ASSCLOWNS on the phone and ordered my new dish and receiver, that they didn't mention anything about the local channels. Granted, I didn't ask, but then again, if I buy a car, I expect it to be able turn corners without specifically asking whether or not it does. What did these morons think I wanted to watch and record?

I have just absolutely been played. All they'll do is install additional equipment at additional cost, and apparently just toss the crap I just paid for TODAY. I was a loyal customer of these f#cking scumbags for years. Now, I don't even know if I'll keep them for Sunday Ticket - how can I continue to do business with these thieving weasels?

Anyway, there is a lesson to be learned here. If Skip can offer any suggestions or somehow paint a happy face on this steaming pile, I'd love to hear from him. Beyond that, DirecTV can eat a dick. 4321

I have to call those people once a month because of problems. I swear if it wasn't for Sunday Ticket, cause I live in California, I would go back to cable...

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 11:20 PM

I really don't know much about HD or Tivos. Sorry. If you got nothing with that antenna, I'd forget any other off-air antenna. It's not gonna get that much better with the best antenna. And, after all, you are wanting great reception because that is why you are going hi-def. Do you know anybody else in your area that is getting high quality hi-def? Another option would be to call the engineer at the stations you are interested in receiving. They can come out with a meter and measure the available signal at your location. It sounds like to me you are screwed though. This is exactly why us techs don't f*ck with off-air antennas. I can guarantee you a good satellite signal. I can't guarantee you shit with off-air signals. Have you gone to Circuit City or the like and viewed their hi-def local broadcasts? I did so in Tulsa yesterday and I sure can't tell the difference between hi-def and what I get at home from the Directv locals. I do 10-12 installs per week and I haven't done a hi-def install in 6 months. I think it is much ado about nothing. Yes, I am old but I don't even wear glasses except these Wal-Mart reading glasses I use. I'd make sure it is worth it before I spent another dime on hi-def.

Frazod
12-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Just for shits and giggles, I hooked the antenna directly to the TV, and it works - not very well, but it works. So now I wonder why it picks up channels when plugged into the TV but not when it's plugged into the Antenna RF in connection on the DVR receiver? :banghead:

dtebbe
12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Have you gone to Circuit City or the like and viewed their hi-def local broadcasts? I did so in Tulsa yesterday and I sure can't tell the difference between hi-def and what I get at home from the Directv locals. I do 10-12 installs per week and I haven't done a hi-def install in 6 months. I think it is much ado about nothing. Yes, I am old but I don't even wear glasses except these Wal-Mart reading glasses I use. I'd make sure it is worth it before I spent another dime on hi-def.

Watch 1 football game in HD, and you'll never be happy watching football in SD again, especially if your screen is bigger than 36". Movies etc. I can take or leave, (although HBO's Rome is pretty cool in HD), but football and hockey are just awesome in HD.

DT

dtebbe
12-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Just for shits and giggles, I hooked the antenna directly to the TV, and it works - not very well, but it works. So now I wonder why it picks up channels when plugged into the TV but not when it's plugged into the Antenna RF in connection on the DVR receiver? :banghead:

When you plugged in the antenna into your Tivo, did you run the guided setup where the Tivo searches for the channels?

Messages & Setup >> Settings >> Satellite & Off Air Antenna >> Repeat Guided Setup

If you didn't, before you do it, aim the antenna where you get a good signal on your TV first, then leave it aimed that way when you plug it into your TIvo.

DT

Frazod
12-07-2005, 11:36 PM
When you plugged in the antenna into your Tivo, did you run the guided setup where the Tivo searches for the channels?

Messages & Setup >> Settings >> Satellite & Off Air Antenna >> Repeat Guided Setup

If you didn't, before you do it, aim the antenna where you get a good signal on your TV first, then leave it aimed that way when you plug it into your TIvo.

DT

No, I f#cked that first step up. I'll try it again.

Logical
12-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Just for shits and giggles, I hooked the antenna directly to the TV, and it works - not very well, but it works. So now I wonder why it picks up channels when plugged into the TV but not when it's plugged into the Antenna RF in connection on the DVR receiver? :banghead:Tim did you run the antenna set-up for off-air antenna?

It is under:
Messages & Setup
Settings
Satellite and Off-Air Antenna
Test off-air signal strength

You probably have already done this but just in case I thought I would mention it.

Frazod
12-08-2005, 12:01 AM
I ran setup and still got nuthin. No signal strength at all when the antenna is hooked up to the receiver - only when it is hooked up to the TV directly.

I don't get it.

dtebbe
12-08-2005, 12:07 AM
I ran setup and still got nuthin. No signal strength at all when the antenna is hooked up to the receiver - only when it is hooked up to the TV directly.

I don't get it.

If you are looking at the off-air signal meter, make sure you tune to the right channels. the HD channel is the last number listed in each line below:

* red - uhf WPWR-DT 50.1 UPN GARY IN 75 27.5 51
* red - uhf WLS-DT 7.1 ABC CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 52
* red - uhf WMAQ-DT 5.1 NBC CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 29
* red - uhf WGN-DT 9.1 WB CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 19
* red - uhf WXFT-DT 60.1 TFA AURORA IL 75 27.5 59
* red - uhf WCPX-DT 38.1 i CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 43
* blue - uhf WFLD-DT 32.1 FOX CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 31
* blue - uhf WCIU-DT 26.1 IND CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 27
* blue - uhf WSNS-DT 44.1 TEL CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 45
* blue - uhf WTTW-DT 11.1 PBS CHICAGO IL 75 27.5 47
* violet - uhf WYCC-DT 20.1 PBS CHICAGO IL 73 28.5 21
* violet - uhf WJYS-DT 36.1 REL HAMMOND IN 75 27.5 36
* violet - vhf WBBM-DT 2.1 CBS CHICAGO IL 73 28.5 3

Frazod
12-08-2005, 12:16 AM
IT'S WORKING! PBJ

I'm not getting Channel 2 (the CBS channel, as Swanman said) but everything else is fine.

Currently watching Conan O'Brien on Channel 5 in HDTV. :thumb:

Frazod
12-08-2005, 12:18 AM
I'll call DTV tomorrow (that other number) and see about getting them to release the New York CBS channel. Hopefully that will conclude this unpleasant mess.

SLAG
12-08-2005, 12:20 AM
I'll call DTV tomorrow (that other number) and see about getting them to release the New York CBS channel. Hopefully that will conclude this unpleasant mess.

hell man once your contract is up and your still UNhappy switch to cable or E*

SoCalBronco
12-08-2005, 12:21 AM
DIRECTV screwed me over about a month and a half ago. Instead of shelling out 120 bucks for NHL Center Ice so I could watch my Penguins, I decided to get the 10 bucks a month Sports Pack giving me access to all the Fox Sports regional channels with the idea that I could watch the Penguins games on Fox Sports Pittsburgh. I specifically asked them whether I could watch all the local sporting events televised on those channels with this package (I prechecked to make sure Fox Sports Pittsburgh was going to cover the Pens games and they would in fact televise 66 games) and they said yes. Lo and behold, the monday after I bought the package, I came home early from work to catch the Pens-Flyers game and Fox Sports Pittsburgh appeared to be blacked out on the screen. I later learned from Direct Tv that they will personally not allow you to watch any professional games on those stations, only the shows and amateur games. So basically I had to pay the cancellation fee and then shell out the 120 bucks to get the damn Center Ice, despite being misled into purchasing the package.

Logical
12-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Congrats Tim

Though seeing Conan in HD has got to be harrowing?:shake:

Frazod
12-08-2005, 12:34 AM
Congrats Tim

Though seeing Conan in HD has got to be harrowing?:shake:

Yeah, he's pretty scary. The picture's so clear it looks like I could reach out and slap him. :D

I don't understand how the receiver makes the antenna work so well - when I had the antenna plugged into the TV directly it looked like ass and the VHF channels barely showed up at all. Now everything (except 2) is perfect. Amazing.

And again, if any of the assclowns I talked to at DTV had told me about this, offered any advice, quizzed me as to my needs and expectations, or been even the slightest bit proactively useful, NONE OF THIS SHIT WOULD HAVE EVER HAPPENED. I still think their customer service is for shit. Were it not for the counsel I received from people I talk to through this BB, I'd still be in the dark and pissed off.

Again, to Skip, dtebbe and Swanman, thanks a bunch! :wayne:

dtebbe
12-08-2005, 01:37 AM
Yeah, he's pretty scary. The picture's so clear it looks like I could reach out and slap him. :D

I don't understand how the receiver makes the antenna work so well - when I had the antenna plugged into the TV directly it looked like ass and the VHF channels barely showed up at all. Now everything (except 2) is perfect. Amazing.

And again, if any of the assclowns I talked to at DTV had told me about this, offered any advice, quizzed me as to my needs and expectations, or been even the slightest bit proactively useful, NONE OF THIS SHIT WOULD HAVE EVER HAPPENED. I still think their customer service is for shit. Were it not for the counsel I received from people I talk to through this BB, I'd still be in the dark and pissed off.

Good Job!

Look on the bright side, you learned something by doing it yourself.

The reason the HD signal looks so much better is that signal strength does not really improve the quality of the picture with digital. With digital it either works (with a perfect picture) or it doesn't (no picture).. although you will start to see some pixalization and artifacts when you are on the hairy-edge signal wise. That's what makes HDTV so great, is once you get things working, the signal should be really solid. YOu may have a glitch here or there, but overall it's much better than analog.

DT

Swanman
12-08-2005, 08:03 AM

Dtebbe made a good point about picking up HD signals off-air. It really is all or nothing. You'll never get a grainy picture, just some pixelation with a bad signal. I set my antenna up and I haven't had to move it in a year. If you have the locals package from Directv, you should still use the satellite feeds of the local stations and then use your antenna for the HD feeds (for example, use satellite feed of channel 5 and antenna for 5-1 for NBC). You can set that up in your channel configuration within the receiver's setup. Just run a search of all the available channels and then add the ones you want in HD (I added ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, and WGN). As for the CBS signal, the reason you can't pick that up is because CBS Chicago is one of the few major markets that broadcasts the HD feed in VHF, not UHF, so you can't pick it up with most antennas, especially cheap indoor antennas. As a result, Chicagoland viewers can get the waiver for the New York CBS HD feed.

The main problem with a lot of their customer service reps is they don't completely understand the product offering. Also, they tend to embellish the truth a little about future product offerings. When I called to get the credit for the "Superfan" HD surcharge they told me all locals would be carried in HD by the time football season started. I'd be surprised if they have that rolled out by the beginning of the 2006 season.

Skip Towne
12-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Watch 1 football game in HD, and you'll never be happy watching football in SD again, especially if your screen is bigger than 36". Movies etc. I can take or leave, (although HBO's Rome is pretty cool in HD), but football and hockey are just awesome in HD.

DT
I went to the sports bar and watched the Eagles game. I even asked them if it was HD. They said it was. It wasn't any better than mine.

The Bad Guy
12-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I went to the sports bar and watched the Eagles game. I even asked them if it was HD. They said it was. It wasn't any better than mine.

Then either they lied or you have some amazing standard def telelvision.

There is no comparison.

Shag
12-08-2005, 09:44 AM

Something wasn't right then - the difference is really night and day. When I have friends over and show them the difference, they are astonished. Going back to standard-def after HD, I feel like I'm watching tv looking through wax paper or something...

The difference is quite pronounced...

Skip Towne
12-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Something wasn't right then - the difference is really night and day. When I have friends over and show them the difference, they are astonished. Going back to standard-def after HD, I feel like I'm watching tv looking through wax paper or something...

I've seen Hi def in 7 or 8 different locations. Circuit City stores, sports bars and I've installed a few. They are no better than my Directv hooked up with S video cable. Maybe it makes a difference what you are used to watching. I'd agree it is much better than these small town cable systems. Also, I moved back to Oklahoma last February and I haven't installed one single hi-def system since I've been back. I usually do about 10 installs per week.

C-Mac
12-08-2005, 10:09 AM
I've seen Hi def in 7 or 8 different locations. Circuit City stores, sports bars and I've installed a few. They are no better than my Directv hooked up with S video cable. Maybe it makes a difference wha you are used to watching. Id agree it is much better than these small town cable systems. Also, I moved back to Oklahoma last February and I haven't installed one single hi-def system since I've been back. I usually do about 10 installs per week.

Surely you jest....

Skip Towne
12-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Surely you jest....
Nope

HemiEd
12-08-2005, 10:25 AM

I agree, the larger the screen size the more pronounced the difference. I imagine since Skip is in the business though he has all the best stuff he can get for his LD.

Frazod
12-08-2005, 10:32 AM
The main problem with a lot of their customer service reps is they don't completely understand the product offering. Also, they tend to embellish the truth a little about future product offerings. When I called to get the credit for the "Superfan" HD surcharge they told me all locals would be carried in HD by the time football season started. I'd be surprised if they have that rolled out by the beginning of the 2006 season.
My biggest problem with all the DTV fuqtards I talked to is that NONE of them tried to work my problem - they instead (a) told me there was no solution, (b) told me there was a solution that would involve spending several hundred more dollars (hours after I'd already spent several hundred dollars), and/or (c) offered nothing but repeated apologies. (I've figured out that in CSR-speak, "I'm sorry" directly translates as "F#ck you.") The fact that the alleged "HDTV expert" I was transferred to was too stupid to know that a $50 indoor antenna pointed towards Sears Tower would solve all my problems is simply incomprehensible. Were it not for people I talked to on a football BB, I'd think the problem was unworkable, because that's what DTV customer service told me. And that is inexcusably pathetic.

DirecTV will be getting a very nasty letter about the crap I've endured for the past couple of days. Not that I expect they'll care. But it'll make me feel better.

Herzig
12-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Were it not for people I talked to on a football BB, I'd think the problem was unworkable, because that's what DTV customer service told me. And that is inexcusably pathetic.

Maybe DirecTV should place a link to ChiefsPlanet on their website for customer support. :hmmm:

Skip definitely needs a raise.

Baby Lee
12-08-2005, 11:20 AM
I've seen Hi def in 7 or 8 different locations. Circuit City stores, sports bars and I've installed a few. They are no better than my Directv hooked up with S video cable. Maybe it makes a difference what you are used to watching. I'd agree it is much better than these small town cable systems. Also, I moved back to Oklahoma last February and I haven't installed one single hi-def system since I've been back. I usually do about 10 installs per week.
Demonstrably untrue for the average viewer. Can't speak to your personal visual acuity.
As for CC and Sports bars, the possibility exists that; the CC TVs are poorly set up, and the Sports bars are running the HD signal through a projector that is actually less than 1080i/720p or has been run for so long that the bulbs are shot.
I can switch between HD and SD transmissions [ESPN/ESPN-HD, Discovery/Discovery-HD, network transmissions, etc.] and the difference is stark. And that's with both signals travelling the same Component Cable Path.

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Surely you jest....I have had the same experience, my 65 inch Mitsubishi HD compatible and my HD 52 inch LCD Mitsubishi both get the same quality pictures. I am not sure what all the hub bub is about, it is not just my eyes either (20-25 vision) my daughter who has 20-10 vision says the same thing. Maybe if your TV is of lesser quality it makes such a big difference.:shrug:

Frazod
12-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Apparently HDTV just doesn't impress the old farts. :D

SLAG
12-08-2005, 12:00 PM

The Old Farts are just glad they dont have to have the game Transcripted through a telegram..

The Idea of Motion Pictures is confusing to them and makes thier brain hurt

morphius
12-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Of course they are still wondering why we even added color, everything was just fine in black and white...

Frazod
12-08-2005, 12:07 PM
The difference is night and day for me (of course, my old TV was a 10 year old tube-style).

As King Arthur said in Excalibur, "I did not know how empty was my soul, until it was filled."

HDTV ROCKS. :thumb:

HemiEd
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Hey now! :cuss:

Logical
12-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Of course they are still wondering why we even added color, everything was just fine in black and white...Oh hell no, I won't even watch It's a Wonderful Life unless it is the colorized version. I truly hate B&W.

On a serious note I am more commenting on the incredible quality of todays big screen Mitsubishi products combined with DTV. I am trying out the HDTV for the free three months but as of right now I don't see enough difference if any to make it worth paying extra for on a long term basis. Once it is free then I would definitely keep it even if it is only providing a miniscule improvement.

Shag
12-08-2005, 02:02 PM

I don't know what to tell you, then. My comparison is done via DirecTV - the HDTV picture blows away the standard-def picture (connected via s-video). High quality TVs as well (Sony 55" Grand Wega LCD, Panasonic 36" Tau).

When my friends are over, I always have HD programming running. First time they came over, I heard "looks good, but not that much better than mine". I let them watch for a while, then switched back to standard-def - they were blown away. It wasn't until the switch that they realized the difference - after that, they were convinced (once they got back home, they were disappointed in their own picture). It may be that you need to do a more immediate comparison...

Additionally, screen size makes a big difference. Standard-def on a 27" tv isn't too bad - 480i on a small screen is tolerable. Blow that up to a big screen, and the quality is terrible - much like viewing a 640x480 image blown up to 1280x1024. On a small screen, the difference isn't that noticeable. On a larger screen, it's incredibly pronounced.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-08-2005, 02:14 PM
The only reason I have DTV is for the ticket. When does there contract end with the NFL and what are the chances that cable finally gets in on the ticket.

dtebbe
12-08-2005, 03:05 PM
The difference is night and day for me (of course, my old TV was a 10 year old tube-style).

As King Arthur said in Excalibur, "I did not know how empty was my soul, until it was filled."

HDTV ROCKS. :thumb:

Just wait until you watch football this sunday. Make sure to have some kleenex handy ROFL

DT

Baby Lee
12-08-2005, 03:08 PM
I have had the same experience, my 65 inch Mitsubishi HD compatible and my HD 52 inch LCD Mitsubishi both get the same quality pictures. I am not sure what all the hub bub is about, it is not just my eyes either (20-25 vision) my daughter who has 20-10 vision says the same thing. Maybe if your TV is of lesser quality it makes such a big difference.:shrug:
ROFL ROFL - "I can't see any difference between 1080i and 480i on my TV, but it's probably your TV that's a POS."

Frazod
12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey now! :cuss:

sorry pops :p

morphius
12-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh hell no, I won't even watch It's a Wonderful Life unless it is the colorized version. I truly hate B&W.

On a serious note I am more commenting on the incredible quality of todays big screen Mitsubishi products combined with DTV. I am trying out the HDTV for the free three months but as of right now I don't see enough difference if any to make it worth paying extra for on a long term basis. Once it is free then I would definitely keep it even if it is only providing a miniscule improvement.
LOL! I also despise B&W, no rational behind it, but I can't stand it.

I have always been really impressed with HDTV images when I have seen them. Maybe Directtv's HDTV equipment isn't very good.

Baby Lee
12-08-2005, 06:21 PM
LOL! I also despise B&W, no rational behind it, but I can't stand it.

I have always been really impressed with HDTV images when I have seen them. Maybe Directtv's HDTV equipment isn't very good.
I know when my bud and I went to look at DLPs at CC, they were on DTV, and there was WAY more pixelation on transitions than I get on Dish. Could be the satellite, could be the TV setup, could be the distribution of the signal throughout the store to umpteen TVs.

morphius
12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
I know when my bud and I went to look at DLPs at CC, they were on DTV, and there was WAY more pixelation on transitions than I get on Dish. Could be the satellite, could be the TV setup, could be the distribution of the signal throughout the store to umpteen TVs.
Well, and I don't think their Sat's were designed for it. But I'm sure Skip well let me know if I'm just being an idiot.

C-Mac
12-08-2005, 06:32 PM

I know that any LCD Projection will pixelate worse than a Standard projection when using digital satellite signal.
Also using S-Video input will cause digital satellite signals to pixelate worse on any projection TV, I suggest either using composite or component.

HemiEd
12-08-2005, 06:49 PM
sorry pops :p

Glad you got it going, let me know how you come out on Channel 2. I may be able to cut some costs at this place.

Frazod
12-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Glad you got it going, let me know how you come out on Channel 2. I may be able to cut some costs at this place.

Just called DTV. The special retention number that was provided earlier in the thread is not in service. So I called the regular service number. After rattling off all the information from Swanman's post about getting them to unlock the New York CBS channel, I was informed that DTV is currently upgrading its systems and can't offer anyone any assistance until that upgrade is complete, which will be around 3:00 a.m., and, as luck would have it, seven hours too late to watch CSI in high-def.

He also apologized to me twice. I hung up on him as he started to do it a third time. I may seriously hunt down and kill the next person who utters those words to me. I'd rather deal with a total asshole who can get results.

But the bottom line is I'll have to call back tomorrow.

I assume this was just a final little F#CK YOU from my pals at DTV. 4321

HemiEd
12-08-2005, 06:57 PM

We have both, Direct TV and Comcast Cable in HD. I think the Direct TV is a little sharper than the cable (ESPN direct comparison since that is the only one we overlap). Both are heads and shoulders above the regular LD on our stuff.

HemiEd
12-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Just called DTV. The special retention number that was provided earlier in the thread is not in service. So I called the regular service number. After rattling off all the information from Swanman's post about getting them to unlock the New York CBS channel, I was informed that DTV is currently upgrading its systems and can't offer anyone any assistance until that upgrade is complete, which will be around 3:00 a.m., and, as luck would have it, seven hours too late to watch CSI in high-def.

He also apologized to me twice. I hung up on him as he started to do it a third time. I may seriously hunt down and kill the next person who utters those words to me. I'd rather deal with a total asshole who can get results.

But the bottom line is I'll have to call back tomorrow.

I assume this was just a final little F#CK YOU from my pals at DTV. 4321

Well, isn't there a CSI on everynight, do you have a city preference? ROFL J/K

You have come a long way on this project in the last 24 hours! You are doing a lot better than 3 to 4 weeks it was looking like. I really do grow tired of trying to deal with DTV on the phone, but sometimes it works out. We usually just use their website. As I told you before, I am cancelling the service after the NFL season is over. They treat new customers better it seems anyway, so I will sign up again in the fall.

Frazod
12-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Well, isn't there a CSI on everynight, do you have a city preference? ROFL J/K

You have come a long way on this project in the last 24 hours! You are doing a lot better than 3 to 4 weeks it was looking like. I really do grow tired of trying to deal with DTV on the phone, but sometimes it works out. We usually just use their website. As I told you before, I am cancelling the service after the NFL season is over. They treat new customers better it seems anyway, so I will sign up again in the fall.

Actually yes, I prefer the Vegas CSI and don't really care for either of the other two.

As for the problems I've had, at least the solutions are sufficiently documented that perhaps others won't have to go through the aggravation I did with these morons.

Perhaps it might be worth it for you to get one of these indoor antennas and shitcan Comcast.

HemiEd
12-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Actually yes, I prefer the Vegas CSI and don't really care for either of the other two.

As for the problems I've had, at least the solutions are sufficiently documented that perhaps others won't have to go through the aggravation I did with these morons.

Perhaps it might be worth it for you to get one of these indoor antennas and shitcan Comcast.

I am planning on getting one of those antennas, and have learned a lot from your thread. I even printed it out at work today, darn thing ran forever it seemed like.

I would love to get rid of comcast, but the other half will take a while warming up to the idea if you know what I mean. ROFL

Thanks to gochiefs posting it, I am going to watch the Game of the week on the NFL channel in about 40 minutes.

Logical
12-08-2005, 08:23 PM
The only reason I have DTV is for the ticket. When does there contract end with the NFL and what are the chances that cable finally gets in on the ticket.They just renewed, so not for quite a long time.

morphius
12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
They just renewed, so not for quite a long time.
Yeah, isn't another 5 years or so?

Swanman
12-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Yeah, isn't another 5 years or so?

I believe the current contract runs through 2010. Since DTV paid out the ass for the exclusive rights, expect the Ticket price to increase every year through the end of the contract.

Frazod
12-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I cannot get the local CBS affiliate, WBBM Channel 2, in HD from DTV. The FCC changed the rules again, and the exemption to receive the New York feed that Swanman got has been revoked (existing customer grandfathered, new customers get told to pound sand). I can always call WBBM directly and request that they grant me an exemption, which I'll probably do next week. I expect they'll tell me to go to hell, since they'd rather have me watching their local commercials in non-HD than their network programming with New York local commercials in HD.

My only option would be to get a different dish and different, non-TiVo receiver. And I'm not going to do that. And DTV won't give me an exchange, and even if they would, I wouldn't want to give up my TiVo.

Eventually, the technology should change, and a software upgrade should one day allow my to receive local channels from DTV with my existing DVR receiver (but I'll need a new dish, which will set me back another $100 or so).

As a consolation, I got the Sunday Ticket Super Fan upgrade for the rest of the season for free, so I'll receive the HD broadcast of the Chiefs/Cowboys game on Sunday, which will, of course, be blacked out because it's being broadcast locally on the ONLY local channel I can't get in HD.

:banghead:

At least I finally talked to somebody at DTV with a brain and a clue, who was able to definitively tell me what was going on. It only took a week. But I do feel a bit better.

And that's the end. For the time being, no CBS HD, and nothing I can really do about it but wait for technology to catch up with a shitty Catch 22 situation.

C-Mac
12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
I cannot get the local CBS affiliate, WBBM Channel 2, in HD from DTV. The FCC changed the rules again, and the exemption to receive the New York feed that Swanman got has been revoked (existing customer grandfathered, new customers get told to pound sand). I can always call WBBM directly and request that they grant me an exemption, which I'll probably do next week. I expect they'll tell me to go to hell, since they'd rather have me watching their local commercials in non-HD than their network programming with New York local commercials in HD.

My only option would be to get a different dish and different, non-TiVo receiver. And I'm not going to do that. And DTV won't give me an exchange, and even if they would, I wouldn't want to give up my TiVo.

Eventually, the technology should change, and a software upgrade should one day allow my to receive local channels from DTV with my existing DVR receiver (but I'll need a new dish, which will set me back another $100 or so).

As a consolation, I got the Sunday Ticket Super Fan upgrade for the rest of the season for free, so I'll receive the HD broadcast of the Chiefs/Cowboys game on Sunday, which will, of course, be blacked out because it's being broadcast locally on the ONLY local channel I can't get in HD.

:banghead:

At least I finally talked to somebody at DTV with a brain and a clue, who was able to definitively tell me what was going on. It only took a week. But I do feel a bit better.

And that's the end. For the time being, no CBS HD, and nothing I can really do about it but wait for technology to catch up with a shitty Catch 22 situation.

If you have any good friends in the surrounding the KC area, I can share with you the trick I used that would fix all your problems.

Frazod
12-10-2005, 12:45 AM
If you have any good friends in the surrounding the KC area, I can share with you the trick I used that would fix all your problems.

Feel free to share whatever you're talking about in a SS. Sounds interesting.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
12-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Go to Radio Shack buy these two items for about 8$.

Solder or Black tape the two connector ends together. Take this up to roof or high spot, mount on a yard stick or something. Run coax cable from antennae into the back of your tuner.

thats it you should propably pick up at least a couple of local stations.
Not for sure how this works with Direct tv tuner.

I just finished making 3 of these things for my friends with these exact parts. We are all getting Hi def now.

http://www.planetuploads.com/uploaded/1134250783RadioShackHiDef.jpg