PDA

View Full Version : any dave matthews fans wanna do me a favor...

DRU
12-06-2005, 11:43 PM
give this a listen and tell me if i could pull it off at an open mic or if i should practice a little while longer...

www.angelleye.com/temp/test.mp3

dont hold back...tell me i suck if you think so...that's the beauty of hiding behind a screen name. ;)

Dunit35
12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Whos singing this?????

Halfcan
12-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Whats the favor-unload the septic tank of your RV on a boat load of tourist passing under a bridge.

DRU
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Whos singing this?????

me...i'm asking for opinions. if I were to do this at an open mic..or even in front of some friends...could I get away with it? or would I end up the fool..?? I'm shy...so I figured I'd test it with people I don't exactly know first.

Dunit35
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
me...i'm asking for opinions. if I were to do this at an open mic..or even in front of some friends...could I get away with it? or would I end up the fool..?? I'm shy...so I figured I'd test it with people I don't exactly know first.

Very impressed then. You sounded good, I listened to the whole thing. I just downloaded the actual version and sounds close to the same (I think) good job.

Halfcan
12-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Dang I couldn't open the file-my computer sucks-but I bet it is good.

DRU
12-06-2005, 11:54 PM
well alright...cool! thanks! i might just have to give it a shot sometime. i can do almost all dave, but have never had the balls besides here in my own audience...

Dunit35
12-06-2005, 11:56 PM
well alright...cool! thanks! i might just have to give it a shot sometime. i can do almost all dave, but have never had the balls besides here in my own audience...

Many people have great singing voices, but are too shy to do it on stage. Just act like everyone is naked out there. But, yeah anyone else that can listen to it, I recommend doing it and telling him what you think. I was impressed.

Dunit35
12-06-2005, 11:57 PM
Dang I couldn't open the file-my computer sucks-but I bet it is good.

It opened in Windows Media player for me.

Halfcan
I always think of girls naked-hot ones anyway-but that wouldn't help my singing.

Count Zarth
You're better than that hack Dave Matthews.

Dunit35
12-06-2005, 11:59 PM
I always think of girls naked-hot ones anyway-but that wouldn't help my singing.

It wouldnt help me either, I would probably lose focus.

DRU
12-07-2005, 12:00 AM
gochiefs? are there no dave matthews songs you like?

cdcox
12-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Guitar is perfect. Vocals are also strong. Might be interesting to hear your own style on the vocals though, instead of imitating DM.

Count Zarth
12-07-2005, 12:04 AM
gochiefs? are there no dave matthews songs you like?

No, not really. I was waiting for you to let your voice loose. Put some power in your vocals.

Halfcan
12-07-2005, 12:04 AM
"Grave Digger, when you bury me, face my ass up, so the Donks can kiss it forever, Grave Digger"

DRU
12-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Guitar is perfect. Vocals are also strong. Might be interesting to hear your own style on the vocals though, instead of imitating DM.

thanks, I appreciate that. yeah, my own style is something i've yet to come up with. i'm pretty much a cover guy at the moment. used dave matthews stuff to learn the guitar (still don't know jack about music theory) when i realized the whole singing while playing thing isn't exactly easy....so i've been working on that too.

hopefully i can get myself to learn some scales and actual music stuff sometime and maybe i'll be able to come up with my own style of play. that'd be sweet!!!

Demonpenz
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
you better play ****ing 41 the right way. I saw someone play it at a bar the other day and tried to play it with AM bm and em sounded like crap

DRU
12-07-2005, 12:37 AM
you better play ****ing 41 the right way. I saw someone play it at a bar the other day and tried to play it with AM bm and em sounded like crap

yeah i can play it right...i worked on the big stretch for a long time and got it down. it's insane, but i can do it now. thing is, i cant reach the range on the vocals with that song. that's insane too. i'm happy to attempt if you're interested...

Demonpenz
12-07-2005, 12:40 AM
naw i am sure your fine with it. believe me you wouldn't be embarrassing at an open mic.Hell dave doesn't even hit is own notes. You should just write your own music though. It's so standard issue to sing dave at a bar it gets alittle old.

greg63
12-07-2005, 12:42 AM
You sounded very good DRU. However, it is the opinion of one having an untrained ear. The only criticism I might have is that your vocals need to be stronger, you were somewhat drowned out by your guitar. :D

Taco John
12-07-2005, 12:48 AM
YOu're very good but still need to work a bit on timing... It obviously improves as the song goes on... It's the entry that you seemed to struggle with just a bit. Overall, good enough for open mic night... :)

Simplex3
12-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Nice work. I'll restate that you need to belt it out more, it will also help your vocals sound better. Give us another take but really let go.

DRU
12-07-2005, 01:01 AM
YOu're very good but still need to work a bit on timing... It obviously improves as the song goes on... It's the entry that you seemed to struggle with just a bit. Overall, good enough for open mic night...

Yes, i was waiting for somebody to bring up timing...something I know nothing about. I don't even understand it really. I just try and play the way I remember it sounding...sometimes I can tell that I'm not doing it right...but I don't necessarily know it's timing. Other times I think I'm doing it right and my g/f tells me my timing is off. Any tips for improving timing?

angryllama
12-07-2005, 03:20 AM
give this a listen and tell me if i could pull it off at an open mic or if i should practice a little while longer...

www.angelleye.com/temp/test.mp3

dont hold back...tell me i suck if you think so...that's the beauty of hiding behind a screen name. ;)

Sounds alright. I'm a critic of sorts and a musician, so dont take any of this personally. Okay...

You have a nice voice and your articulation on the guitar is alright. You are really going to need to open up a little bit and project your voice more in a live setting. I just cant picture your voice getting over the talking you'll encounter in a live situation if you sing at that volume. I realize that Crash is an intimate song, but you really have to be bold with your voice. Use that diaphragm and those lungs.

Good luck to you and I hope that your gig works out for you.

angryllama
12-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Yes, i was waiting for somebody to bring up timing...something I know nothing about. I don't even understand it really. I just try and play the way I remember it sounding...sometimes I can tell that I'm not doing it right...but I don't necessarily know it's timing. Other times I think I'm doing it right and my g/f tells me my timing is off. Any tips for improving timing?

Practice, practice, practice. You might want to break the song down into parts and woodshed on the individual parts. Break it down into individual measures and notes if you need to. Familiarize yourself with singing while moving along the fretboard by consciously aknowledging where the notes you have trouble with fall within each measure, Its tough to synchronize guitar chording and singing sometimes. I played bass guitar and sang for awhile..that is really hard to do! I had to tear down the song and work on the parts that I had trouble synchronizing.

phisherman
12-07-2005, 06:05 AM

this is true...
you've got dave's vocalizations pretty well...

bring your own sound to it just a bit, and it'll sound VERY good...

bp