PDA

View Full Version : Merrill: Vermeil still mum on future

Bob Dole
12-07-2005, 06:58 AM
BY ELIZABETH MERRILL

Kansas City Star

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Behold the power of a winning streak. It makes the weather seem warmer, the practices shorter, the questions not quite so irritating.

"I feel younger right now than I did at the start of the season," Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said Tuesday. "I'm having fun. I'm having a lot of fun."

OK, so some questions still annoy Vermeil. His team has won three straight, Kansas City is back in the playoff hunt, and long before this renaissance, Vermeil repeatedly said he'd consider sticking around another year if the Chiefs finish strong. His future was brought up again Tuesday, and Vermeil moved on to the next subject within 30 seconds.

"I'm thinking about Sunday," Vermeil said.

On Sunday, the Chiefs travel to Dallas to play the Cowboys. What happens after that, it seems, is anybody's guess.

Vermeil is 69 and in the last year of his contract. It is assumed that Kansas City will be in the middle of a coaching search sometime between the season finale against Bengals and the Super Bowl.

Vermeil isn't assuming anything, at least not publicly.

"I have not had any conversations with him about it," said Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt. "I really don't plan to because the season's got enough worries anyway. We have four games to go... then hopefully the playoffs.

"There's ample time. I think there are a lot of considerations, but then we're not expecting that he's going to coach past this year. But at the same time, we want to hear what he has to say about it."

Maybe the answer seemed easier at the start of the season, when injuries, inconsistency and off-the-field legal issues plagued the team. Then came the sudden death of quarterback Trent Green's father, then Pro Bowl running back Priest Holmes went down with a season-ending spinal injury.

When Kansas City dropped to 5-4 last month, Vermeil said he was frustrated and angry but didn't jump off a bridge. "I might've felt like it, but I didn't," he said.

Now the Chiefs are one of the hottest teams in the AFC. They manhandled the Patriots two weekends ago and survived a 31-27 slugfest Sunday against AFC West rival Denver. After the game, for the second straight week, Vermeil got emotional in the postgame press conference and dedicated the win to Hunt.

Vermeil has taken two teams to Super Bowls, but he's experienced plenty of downers since he came to Kansas City in 2001. First there was a rebuilding process, then his 2003 team seemed destined for greatness after a 9-0 start. The Chiefs went on to lose three of their last seven, and dropped their playoff opener against Indianapolis.

Hunt said it's too early to tell if this team has a special vibe that can take them further than '03. He also said the Chiefs haven't started a search process for a new coach. They're too busy thinking about the next 3 ˝weeks.

"It probably is not very logical that he would sign a new 10-year contract," Hunt said. "But from our standpoint, it's probably not very logical to have a one-year contract. I'm not speculating at all. He's got family considerations, and we've got a bunch of considerations in regards to the long-term outlook of the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I want him to do what is right for him. Really, I couldn't project what that will be."

Source (http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/sports/other_sports/13346582.htm)

Gaz
12-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Four more years!

Four more years!

xoxo~
Gaz
DV fan.

Hoover
12-07-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm a DV fan as well, but he needs to make up his mind as soon as our season is over. I don't want to be waiting around.

Ralphy Boy
12-07-2005, 08:01 AM
"It probably is not very logical that he would sign a new 10-year contract," Hunt said. "But from our standpoint, it's probably not very logical to have a one-year contract. I'm not speculating at all. He's got family considerations, and we've got a bunch of considerations in regards to the long-term outlook of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Source (http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/sports/other_sports/13346582.htm)

Sounds to me like Lamar's saying he wants him to at least commit for two more years if he's coming back.

Bob Dole
12-07-2005, 08:38 AM
DV does seem a lot more energized this year than last.

Bob Dole has mixed feelings about his return.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Im not sure which I would prefer at this point. Like the club, Im more interested in the next 4 weeks to care.

nmt1
12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Vermiel is old and senile. He doesn't know anything about or care about the defense. He's too loyal to players that suck like Eric Hicks and Dante Hall. He lies. All he wants to do is make us like the Rams. He doesn't adapt his schemes to the players he has. He's not aggressive enough. I can't wait until he's gone.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-07-2005, 09:21 AM
"then Pro Bowl running back Priest Holmes went down with a season-ending spinal injury."

I wonder what Samari Rolle thinks of this(not that I would take him over Surtain by any means)

DaFace
12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm mixed on this one as well. I personally can't stand his loyalty to certian players who have no business being starters. That being said, though, the players as a whole seem to really like him and respect him. He cares for them as individuals, which MAY make them motivated to play.

I guess here's my take: I'm not 100% sure I like Vermeil as the HC, but I'm not sure there's anyone out there I'd expect to do a better job.

beavis
12-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing him bawling his eyes out at the farewell "Dick Vermeil Event".

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
I want him back, and I like his loyalty to his players. IMO it is leadership 101. I agree that his loyalty may not seem appropriate for certain players, but loyalty is not a "pick and chose" kind of trait. His loyalty to certain players has a positive impact on ALL players. Having said that, Dick has been loyal to Mighty Mouse II, but MMII has not been playing lately because Washington clearly proved himself better.
I think he knows both sides of the ball, most of our draft choices have been Defense since he has been here without as much success as he would like. It is my opinion that to be a great coach on either side of the ball you have to understand the other side.

C-Mac
12-07-2005, 10:36 AM
DV does seem a lot more energized this year than last.

Bob Dole has mixed feelings about his return.

I have mixed feeling too, but Vermeil is good for football and its nice to have a coach that has so much respect from his players. There is always time to try a new coach...but not much time left to have a quality throwback coach like Vermeil.

MichaelH
12-07-2005, 10:51 AM
I have very mixed feelings about his return. I always felt he was a good coach, but I still question his attitude and the way he plays favorites to certain ineffective players. Also, if he does sign on for another year, it will be a rebuilding year almost like 2001-2002. I don't know how effective he'll be at evaluating new talent to replace the ones that retire. And, if he does sign on, I wish he'd figure out a way to get both sides of the balls humming along earlier in the season. IMHO, a slow start is the reason we're hanging on for dear life this season.

morphius
12-07-2005, 10:55 AM
If the team falls flat on its face, he will leave, if we do some damage in the playoff's he will probably come back. I think it's pretty simple really.

Woodrow Call
12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I am a lot more receptive to the idea of his return than I was a few weeks ago. Still not 100% sure what I want.

PastorMikH
12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Is it just me or does it seem odd they are talking to Hunt about DV instead of Carl?

PastorMikH
12-07-2005, 11:05 AM
and we've got a bunch of considerations in regards to the long-term outlook of the Kansas City Chiefs.

I also find this line interesting. Could this mean the Hunts are considering some new, long-term decisions?

John_Wayne
12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm torn on this issue. I'm a DV fan. But I want Saunders to be the next HC when DV retires. Every year that DV stays increases the chances of AS leaving to be a HC somewhere else. I want DV to stay. But I want him to leave too, so that AS can take over in '06.

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Is it just me or does it seem odd they are talking to Hunt about DV instead of Carl?

I am not reading into that, but I may be wrong. DV and Carl are old buddies from UCLA I thought. Do you think the LJ think has come between them? Or maybe the Al Saunders issue?

Idahored
12-07-2005, 12:19 PM
I want him back, and I like his loyalty to his players. IMO it is leadership 101. I agree that his loyalty may not seem appropriate for certain players, but loyalty is not a "pick and chose" kind of trait. His loyalty to certain players has a positive impact on ALL players. Having said that, Dick has been loyal to Mighty Mouse II, but MMII has not been playing lately because Washington clearly proved himself better.
I think he knows both sides of the ball, most of our draft choices have been Defense since he has been here without as much success as he would like. It is my opinion that to be a great coach on either side of the ball you have to understand the other side.

I feel the same way about DV. He is loyal to players and defends them in the press, but when push comes to shove the better player plays. It's my opinion that DV will not rip a player in the media unless he thinks it will motivate them and then he only kind of pin pricks them, ala LJ.

Personally I love DV as our coach and win or lose the rest of the season I hope he is back for at least 2 years.

SLAG
12-07-2005, 08:14 PM
I am not reading into that, but I may be wrong. DV and Carl are old buddies from UCLA I thought. Do you think the LJ think has come between them? Or maybe the Al Saunders issue?

Well If anyone gives two shits about what i think

my guess is
there is no animosity between The Chiefs Coaching/ Player Staff.

Everyone is focused on playing Dallas The players the Coaches and Lamar. everything is Jellin For Everyone right now.

Some Folks have said that they dont like DV because of his loyality, or his Suggested lack of interest in the defense. DV Trusts a man he belives to be better than him at creating and controlling the D.

DV is a Diplomat, Between his Coordinators and in front of the Media.
DV Knows how the Media Works and chooses his words and his timing wisely (MOST of the Time ala His Cussing During Pratice to the reporters)

DV will Know Wether he wants to stay or leave the Jan 1 after the Bengals Game.

If we make the Playoffs my guess he will Chose to stay

if We dont then he is gone.

I hope we make the Playoffs

GO CHIEFS
:arrow: :toast: :kc: :louder:

chief118
12-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Herman Edwards jets was interested to coach 4 KC cause of his relationship with vermil and carl peterson. i think that would be good 4 KC

Extra Point
12-07-2005, 08:31 PM
4 more wins-- post season.

Then,
So long, farewell, auf wiedersen, goodbye.
It's time to leave, enough you've made me cry.
Goodbye, goodbye.

chief118
12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Herman Edwards jets was interested to coach 4 KC cause of his relationship with vermil and carl peterson. i think that would be good 4 KC

DTLB58
12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
If the team falls flat on its face, he will leave, if we do some damage in the playoff's he will probably come back. I think it's pretty simple really.

Agree :clap:

NJ Chief Fan
12-07-2005, 08:43 PM
i like dick...i think hes a good coach,but some times his loyalty hurts the team, im all for him stickin around as long as he wants as long as he allows lj to be the starter...as much as priest has done for this franchise his time has come and gone, it also seems like this team is starting to have some fun on game day and our defense is getting better and better and we are getting healthier week by week

BELIEVE AND YOU CAN ACHIEVE

PastorMikH
12-07-2005, 08:49 PM

I had heard numerous rumors that their friendship has really been strained over the working together this time and that Carl considering a contract extension for DV was a stretch at this point.

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
I had heard numerous rumors that their friendship has really been strained over the working together this time and that Carl considering a contract extension for DV was a stretch at this point.

It would seem ironic after Carl basically begging DV out of retirement wouldn't you think? :hmmm:

milkman
12-07-2005, 08:55 PM

WTF?

Did you just quote yourself cause you wanted to make sure everyone saw it?

I think we have an attention whore noob.

PastorMikH
12-07-2005, 09:13 PM
It would seem ironic after Carl basically begging DV out of retirement wouldn't you think? :hmmm:

That was 5 years ago. It can be hard on friendships when you work together.

I don't know, the rumors I heard were from some sources I consider somewhat credible, but they may be off just the same.

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 09:16 PM
That was 5 years ago. It can be hard on friendships when you work together.

I don't know, the rumors I heard were from some sources I consider somewhat credible, but they may be off just the same.

I would agree Pastor that a lot of the signals would indicate your sources are correct. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I feel the same way about DV. He is loyal to players and defends them in the press, but when push comes to shove the better player plays. It's my opinion that DV will not rip a player in the media unless he thinks it will motivate them and then he only kind of pin pricks them, ala LJ.

Personally I love DV as our coach and win or lose the rest of the season I hope he is back for at least 2 years.
The better player plays? Where have you been? He kept LJ inactive for several games and wouldn't even give him a chance. DV can hit the road as far as I'm concerned.

milkman
12-07-2005, 09:24 PM
The better player plays? Where have you been? He kept LJ inactive for several games and wouldn't even give him a chance. DV can hit the road as far as I'm concerned.

I agree.

Raiderhader
12-07-2005, 09:36 PM

Yes he did, his rookie season while Priest was setting an NFL record for TDs and scoring more points than even most kickers.

Let's be realistic about what happened.

milkman
12-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes he did, his rookie season while Priest was setting an NFL record for TDs and scoring more points than even most kickers.

Let's be realistic about what happened.

How about Vonnie Holliday, with Allen sitting on the bench?

How about McPassOn, with anyone else, anywhere else?

Raiderhader
12-07-2005, 09:47 PM

I was addressing a specific situation. I don't deny that Vermeil's loyalty has clouded his judgement at times. To suggest however, that inactivating a rookie LJ in favor of starting a super stud veteran on a scoring frenzy is an example of this is just assanine. One could, and many have, make that case this year. But not in '03.

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 09:54 PM

Allen was a Rookie and it took a while for VH to prove he sucked, after all remember his first game.

"McPassOn" had a bad year last year, no doubt about it. Who should have played in his place? Should he have been immediately yanked after the year he had before?

Bottom Line, nobody can make all the right decisions, but I think DV makes a lot more right than wrong. If you read the interview with LJ on this board, he explains it pretty well. And even better, go to the Chiefs site and play the one with TRich. They all love the guy and would kill for him, that should pay off.

milkman
12-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Allen was a Rookie and it took a while for VH to prove he sucked, after all remember his first game.

"McPassOn" had a bad year last year, no doubt about it. Who should have played in his place? Should he have been immediately yanked after the year he had before?

Bottom Line, nobody can make all the right decisions, but I think DV makes a lot more right than wrong. If you read the interview with LJ on this board, he explains it pretty well. And even better, go to the Chiefs site and play the one with TRich. They all love the guy and would kill for him, that should pay off.

Holliday had one, count 'em, one good game.

He proved he sucked for a season and a half before his injury finally took him off the field.

McPassOn had a bad year last year, and was sucking this year.

Yet he still played.

D-Wash has proven that he's better this season, and he should have started ahead of McPassOn.

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Holliday had one, count 'em, one good game.

He proved he sucked for a season and a half before his injury finally took him off the field.

McPassOn had a bad year last year, and was sucking this year.

Yet he still played.

D-Wash has proven that he's better this season, and he should have started ahead of McPassOn.

Well SideWinder I had this long winded response typed out and lost it when the site went down. This interview with TRich will have to do, I am tired. http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/12/07/chillin_with_the_chiefs_tony_richardson2b/

milkman
12-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Well SideWinder I had this long winded response typed out and lost it when the site went down. This interview with TRich will have to do, I am tired. http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/12/07/chillin_with_the_chiefs_tony_richardson2b/

Lazy bastard! :cuss: :p

tk13
12-07-2005, 11:03 PM

Allen played as a rookie right from the get go last year. I remember him getting abused in the running game in the season opener @ Denver. That was why people were concerned with him starting. Even so, Allen only played 5 games before they put him in the starting lineup.

And McCleon got benched 5 games in for William freaking Bartee and Battle last year. McCleon would not have played that much this year either had A) Warfield not been an idiot and B) Battle not blown his knee out before the season. Remember Battle was getting all the first team reps, and Gun even told Battle he wanted him to take Warfield's job. This myth that DV will do anything to get McCleon on the field because he refuses to rip him in public is ridiculous. McCleon hasn't even hardly played the last two years except for when Warfield was suspended or Battle was getting PI calls up and down the field.

milkman
12-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Allen played as a rookie right from the get go last year. I remember him getting abused in the running game in the season opener @ Denver. That was why people were concerned with him starting. Even so, Allen only played 5 games before they put him in the starting lineup.

Allen played about a quarter of the snaps on defense while Holliday started, and didn't start until Holliday was injured.

And McCleon got benched 5 games in for William freaking Bartee and Battle last year. McCleon would not have played that much this year either had A) Warfield not been an idiot and B) Battle not blown his knee out before the season. Remember Battle was getting all the first team reps, and Gun even told Battle he wanted him to take Warfield's job. This myth that DV will do anything to get McCleon on the field because he refuses to rip him in public is ridiculous. McCleon hasn't even hardly played the last two years except for when Warfield was suspended.

Regardless of that myth, tell me that Washington hasn't been better than McPassOn this season.

tk13
12-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Allen played about a quarter of the snaps on defense while Holliday started, and didn't start until Holliday was injured.

Regardless of that myth, tell me that Washington hasn't been better than McPassOn this season.
That is incorrect. Allen was a rookie 4th round draft pick. For him to even start after playing 5 games is quite an accomplishment I think. He was getting abused in the run game, heck Denver the other day still ran right at him and gashed his side at times. He really was best used as a pass rusher, which is what they used him as right from the start. That said, it's a moot point, Vonnie Holliday was healthy and played in Jared Allen's first start.

And I wouldn't disagree that Washington was better. I liked the Washington signing, I said it at the time, he wasn't great or anything but he started for a decent Jax defense last year. I would not disagree that I'd liked to seen Washington get out there more, but it happens, no coach is going to be right 100% of the time, Washington did not look that great in preseason, and Gun makes those decisions anyway. I mean DV gets ultimate responsibility but he leaves a lot of control over this D up to Gunther. I'm not going to say I don't want DV back because of that.... to say that one reason is the one reason we shouldn't keep DV in spite of all the great personnel moves we've made would be foolish.

milkman
12-07-2005, 11:23 PM
That is incorrect. Allen was a rookie 5th round draft pick. For him to even start after playing 5 games is quite an accomplishment I think. He was getting abused in the run game, heck Denver the other day still ran right at him and gashed his side at times. He really was best used as a pass rusher, which is what they used him as right from the start. That said, it's a moot point, Vonnie Holliday was healthy and played in Jared Allen's first start.

And I wouldn't disagree that Washington was better. I liked the Washington signing, I said it at the time, he wasn't great or anything but he started for a decent Jax defense last year. I would not disagree that it could've been a mistake, but it happens, no coach is going to be right 100% of the time, Washington did not look that great in preseason, and Gun makes those decisions anyway. I mean DV gets ultimate responsibility but he leaves a lot of control over this D up to Gunther.

We won't agree on any of this.

Except that I do agree that does leave control to Gun, but I also believe he tries to influence some of Gun's decisions, like starting McPassOn.

tk13
12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
How can we disagree? There is nothing to disagree about. I am factually correct.

Jared Allen's game log

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492877/gamelogs/2004

Vonnie Holliday's game log

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12446/gamelogs/2004

Vonnie played during Jared's first start.

And DV said that he wanted to activate Warfield right off the suspension, and after a heated discussion, Gun told him no. DV allowed it because he lets Gun run the defense. If DV really wanted to crow bar his way into McCleon starting, then why did he allow us to go through offseason workouts with Battle as the starter? And allow Gun to tell Battle he was going to be the starter? That would make no sense at all. I'm presenting facts here, I'd like a better logical rebuttal than "Well I don't like DV and he just plays favorites, he obviously made McCleon start." There is evidence to prove otherwise.

milkman
12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
OK, it wasn't a specific injury, but injuries did play a part in his replacing Holliday.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-06-23-sw-spotlight-dline_x.htm

But with Holliday battling injuries, Allen got more playing time earlier than expected. His four quarterback pressures in Week 3 against Houston showed he should be on the field more. By Week 7 he was a starter, and Holliday (since released) never regained his starting status.

As for Battle vs. McPassOn, we'll never know how that would have really played out.

HemiEd
12-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Lazy bastard! :cuss: :p

ROFL Looks like TK13 handled the discussion quite nicely.