PDA

View Full Version : RB LARRY JOHNSON A WORK OF ART ON AND OFF THE FIELD

B2chiefsfan
12-07-2005, 08:55 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/12/07/rb_larry_johnson_a_work_of_art_on_and_off_the_field/

Much like the famous artist Vincent van Gogh, Kansas City Chiefs RB Larry Johnson is an enigma of sorts. While many know him for his gridiron glory, he often paints masterpieces that few are able to enjoy. Even though there aren’t always 79,451 rabid fans at attention, his work in the local community is just as important to this third-year pro as scoring a game-winning touchdown.
His rise to football stardom is well chronicled. After serving as RB Priest Holmes’ understudy at the start of his career, this Pennsylvania native began to set the League on fire at the end the 2004 season. This year, with accolades such as AFC Offensive Player of the Week and Month already under his belt, he’s more than justified the Chiefs confidence in him. Yet, shortly after arriving in Kansas City as the Chiefs first round draft selection in 2003 (27th overall), Johnson was just as anxious to make a mark in his new Midwestern home as he was on the football field.http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/C32102B066CB49B8821C3340CC2F6C10.JPG?0.6964364037643195That’s because he’s aware that not everyone is lucky enough to have as strong of a support system as his family provides. A perfect example is the recently founded LJ’s Legacy and Growth Youth Foundation. Dedicated to enhancing the lives of youth and promoting development through collaborative partnerships, the foundation is making a difference with today’s children. By nurturing positive thinking, behavior and attitudes that foster a strong self image, Johnson hopes to encourage these children to believe strongly in who they are.He’s also spearheaded the team’s Junior Player Development (JPD) campaign. A program seeking to ready middle school-aged children for the rigors of high school football, JPD has now completed a pair of successful seasons locally thanks in part to Johnson’s visits and guidance on the practice field. All JPD participants receive counseling through a life skills/character development curriculum that’s incorporated throughout all on-field activities. Every week, a different life skills message is designated as a theme. Those themes are then addressed through the context of football. Instructors will make connections between life skills as they are applied in football as well as other areas of life, especially school, at home and in the community.Johnson has even sponsored a pair of local youth teams. A collegiate Penn State Nittany Lion, Johnson appropriately sponsored “LJ’s Young Lions” in both a tee-ball and pee wee football format. In addition to helping finance the equipment and uniforms for these aspiring athletes, he also hosted these children at a Chiefs home game during the 2005 season.As you can see, this degree-holder in Integrative Art might just be in the midst of creating one of his most important masterpieces… helping tomorrow’s leaders reach success. Chances are, even if you knew his 1,108 rushing yards this year represents the third-most in the AFC or that his five consecutive 100-yard rushing performances have tied Holmes for the team record, you didn’t realize that this artist’s canvas is more filled with the bright colors of helping others than the limelight of football fame.

milkman
12-07-2005, 09:03 AM
So, when he was a an unhappy backup, the media chose to highlight the negative aspects of his personal life.

Now he's becoming a star, and the media now wants to paint a different picture.

MOhillbilly
12-07-2005, 09:04 AM
So, when he was a an unhappy backup, the media chose to highlight the negative aspects of his personal life.

the truth is never what it seems.

wait till his court date after the season or he gets hurt or any other BS they can sell.

B2chiefsfan
12-07-2005, 09:05 AM

That.....indeed........is the media for ya.:)

Count Zarth
12-07-2005, 09:05 AM
STOP SMILING! GET ANGRY!

Count Zarth
12-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Seriously...what an asshole!

He probably told that little girl "I don't f*cking paint for Penn State anymore."

headsnap
12-07-2005, 09:08 AM

will the real LJ please stand up...

and juke a defender...

and break a tackle...

and bust a 60 yard run for a TD!!!!!!!!

rinse and repeat!

Pants
12-07-2005, 09:50 AM
His new agent is doing a really good job changing his image. Must have hired a competent p/o person as well. Ever since LJ got the new agent, he's been saying the right things or not talking at all.

jenniferm
12-07-2005, 09:53 AM
Famous quote from LJ, "I'm a Chief. I want her removed".

B2chiefsfan
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
"Don't ever ask me about my business..."

:$2500:

Dunit35
12-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I didnt know he was a painter, kinda shocking.

StcChief
12-07-2005, 01:02 PM
"Don't ever ask me about my business..."

:$2500:and I won't tell you no lies....

Lynyrd Skynrd at their best when the fame and fortune came to them.

BIG_DADDY
12-07-2005, 01:07 PM
Cool, hope we get him signed long term.

vailpass
12-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Leon cant me missin out on no endorsement opportunities just cuz the ol' white folk here in KC thinks Leon aint marketable. That nasty old Leon you heard about aint true; I been misunderstood.

See here, Leon got a youth program an some art stuff goin on an I bet I'm gonna' come up with some mo good ideas as soon as my agent tells me what they is.

DaFace
12-07-2005, 01:13 PM

For the most part, the Chiefs official website and "the media" are two completely different things. Some of the media are still trying to portray him in a negative light.

Reaper16
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I didnt know he was a painter, kinda shocking.
Starving artist.
http://www.rocawear.com/images/header/splash.team_roc.jpg

Nah, hopefully LJ and KC can come to terms with each other, so we can just appreciate his play. Most people already have.