PDA

View Full Version : It's a sad sad day in the Big XII Conference..

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 11:50 AM
According to many sources, sCUm head coach Gary Barnett has been fired, unbeknownst to him, however.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Did he read it on the internet yet?

Woodrow Call
12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Rumor going around that Houston Nutt will replace him.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 11:56 AM
There's a strong lesson in here for us all. Your players can rape women, your staff can procure hookers, your office can mismanage its funds, and you can even use sports department funds for a $650 airfare for a 15-mile trip*, but the university will NOT tolerate a 70-3 loss to Texas. Sometimes they just have to draw the line.

That whole university is just a bad joke any more. Maybe they should hire Ward Churchill to be the next coach.

* Yes, it was discovered that he chartered a private plane at one point to fly from Denver to Boulder to avoid traffic.

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 11:57 AM
What's funny is sCUm has very little $$$ to procure a big name head coach. Boosters are frugal, as their is very little fan support, even when they are winning.

chiefqueen
12-07-2005, 12:05 PM
There's a strong lesson in here for us all. Your players can rape women, your staff can procure hookers, your office can mismanage its funds, and you can even use sports department funds for a $650 airfare for a 15-mile trip*, but the university will NOT tolerate a 70-3 loss to Texas. Sometimes they just have to draw the line.

That whole university is just a bad joke any more. Maybe they should hire Ward Churchill to be the next coach.

* Yes, it was discovered that he chartered a private plane at one point to fly from Denver to Boulder to avoid traffic.

So, if they only lost 63-3 he keeps his job???:hmmm:

mlyonsd
12-07-2005, 12:08 PM
They should also expel those idiot fans that were throwing stuff in the Nebraska game.

What a bunch of fugtards.

FringeNC
12-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Reminds me of the story about Barry Switzer that goes something like this....Barry was having a conversation with the president of the univ...

"Barry, you can't have an affair with your secretary...Oklahomans just won't tolerate that. Now if you were 10-1 instead of 7-4, that would be a different story."

Bob Dole
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Rumor going around that Houston Nutt will replace him.

That would make some Hog fans Bob Dole knows very happy.

Skip Towne
12-07-2005, 12:16 PM
The Houston Nutt story surprises me. Arkansas locked him up pretty good after that fugtard AD from Nebraska tried to hire him a couple of years ago.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2005, 12:19 PM
TigerBoard is going crazy, they want Barnett so bad.

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
TigerBoard is going crazy, they want Barnett so bad.
Gary Barnett is pretty much the football version of Quin Snyder.

Sully
12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
I, as a Mizzou fan, would love to have Barnett as a coach. I'm sure the stupid shiat he did inthe past is done with. I'm sure he knows someone will be over his shoulder at all times making sire he doesn't screw up, and mostly, I'm SURE he is a better coach than Pinkel.

jspchief
12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Didn't Barnett just win Big 12 CotY a few years back?

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Coach
12-07-2005, 03:05 PM

And 2004 as well.

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 03:28 PM
And 2004 as well.
No.

2001 was the only time CU won the Big XII title. They won the North in 2001, 2002 (bullshit), 2004, and 2005.

Coach
12-07-2005, 03:30 PM
No.

2001 was the only time CU won the Big XII title. They won the North in 2001, 2002 (bullshit), 2004, and 2005.

Yes, but jsp was asking if he won Big XII COTY (Coach of the Year) award.

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Yes, but jsp was asking if he won Big XII COTY (Coach of the Year) award.
Ah..I misread.

ChiefsFanatic
12-07-2005, 04:21 PM

Usually this kind of logic is lost.

CoMoChief
12-07-2005, 04:27 PM
"Gary Barnett"

"Katie was an awful kicker I mean she couldn't kick the ball through the uprights, and that's all there is to it. She was a horrible kicker."

When I heard that I nearly died laughing.

JimNasium
12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
I, as a Mizzou fan, would love to have Barnett as a coach. I'm sure the stupid shiat he did inthe past is done with. I'm sure he knows someone will be over his shoulder at all times making sire he doesn't screw up, and mostly, I'm SURE he is a better coach than Pinkel.
And then they could hire Larry Eustachy to take over the basketball team. That would be a match made in heaven, Gary could bring the strippers and Larry could bring the coeds and the Natty Light.

PastorMikH
12-07-2005, 04:35 PM

I'm thinking about 95% of the coaches out there are better than Pinkel. Best Qb we've ever had was wasted thanks to Pinkel.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2005, 04:39 PM
And then they could hire Larry Eustachy to take over the basketball team. That would be a match made in heaven, Gary could bring the strippers and Larry could bring the coeds and the Natty Light.

Or Bob Huggins.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2005, 08:11 PM
His buyout was $3 mil.

It'll be interesting to see who sCUm brings in.

jspchief
12-08-2005, 08:18 PM
His buyout was $3 mil.

It'll be interesting to see who sCUm brings in.It will be some nobody from a lower tier mid major type school. No coveted coaches are going to leave their job to go coach a team that doesn't get financial backing in a tough power conference.

Coach
12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
For those who didn't catch it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2252252

It's quite long, so I won't bother posting the whole thing. As for Saul's thought, here's a list of potentional successers.

Possible Successors to Barnett

Dan Hawkins Boise St. Head coach
Steve Kragthorpe Tulsa Head coach
Tom O'Brien Boston College Head coach
*David Gibbs Auburn Defensive coordinator
*Jon Embree UCLA Tight ends coach
Charlie Strong Florida Defensive coordinator
Randy Shannon Miami Defensive coordinator

* -- Colorado alumnus

ChiefsCountry
12-08-2005, 08:30 PM
If Colorado would be smart, they should go for the coach to the north, Wyoming's Joe Glenn. He has built winning programs at Northern Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming.

Coach
12-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Sources: Buffs tab Boise St.'s Hawkins as next coach

Boise State coach Dan Hawkins has accepted the head coaching job at the University of Colorado, sources told ESPN. Hawkins will be introduced at a news conference on Friday.

Hawkins had been rumored as a potential replacement since former coach Gary Barnett's dismissal last Thursday.

"Dan Hawkins is the type of coach who represents virtually every expectation that I outlined," CU athletic director Mike Bohn told Denver station KUSA-TV on Wednesday before the agreement was finalized. "We will be well on our way to restoring a sense of pride in the Golden Buffaloes."

Hawkins interviewed with Bohn on Saturday, the first interview that Bohn conducted. Hawkins, former Colorado player and current UCLA assistant Jon Embree, and Denver Mullen High School's Dave Logan were the three candidates that spoke with Colorado officials, according to a person familiar with the search.

Boise State won a share of its fourth straight Western Athletic Conference title this season and is 53-10 under Hawkins. He's been a hot name on the job market for the past couple years, and Boise has enhanced his contract and the football facilities to keep him.

However, Hawkins could just about double his $525,000 annual salary at Colorado. His contract calls for an $850,000 buyout, but that will be reduced to $700,000 after this season. At this point, it is unclear whether Hawkins will coach Boise State in the MPC Computers Bowl against Boston College.

ESPN has also learned that offensive coordinator Chris Petersen will remain at Boise State and replace Hawkins as head coach. Hawkins, however, is expected to take several of his assistants from Boise State with him to Colordao.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2259394

Saulbadguy
12-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Sounds like a good hire.

Anyong Bluth
12-14-2005, 09:39 PM
They interviewed a high school coach? I'd think you'd want someone with at least some College coaching ???

or am I wrong....?

Coach
12-14-2005, 09:41 PM
They interviewed a high school coach? I'd think you'd want someone with at least some College coaching ???

or am I wrong....?

Hawkins is a college coach. He's the head coach for Boise St. team, in the WAC. He's a very good coach.

GT Orange
12-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Hawkins is a college coach. He's the head coach for Boise St. team, in the WAC. He's a very good coach.

The high school coach the guy was referring to is Dave Logan, voice of the Broncos. Logan could be the offensive coordinator. He is currently a high school coach. I don't know if they are serious about this or if it's just a PR move to make Buffs fans feel better...