PDA

View Full Version : Whither snow tires on yon car?

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I've got a set of snow tires and a set of regular tires for my car.

I've noticed that the snow tires make a world of difference when driving in snow. It's absolutely amazing how big a difference they make.

But in the other direction, I haven't noticed any advantage on not having the snow tires in good weather. In fact, I never even took the snow tires off last year and just drove on them all summer.

So what's the deal with the regular tires? Do they supposedly handle better, and I just don't know it because I tend to drive like a truck driver with a load of nitro glycerine? Do they get better gas mileage? Do they make it easier in an emergency situation to swerve and nail Jake Plummer if I happen to see him on a sidewalk? Why should I ever take off my snow tires? I'm stumped.

morphius
12-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I think snow tires wear a lot quicker.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Ah. So it's a cost issue? I hadn't considered that.

Do snow tires cost more, too? It's been a while since I bought tires.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
If you want to improve your lap times at Infineon Raceway, I'd go with the regular tires vs. snow tires.

Baby Lee
12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
They wear quicker, and the aggressive pattern cuts down on gas mileage and increases road noise.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I very seldom drive there. It must not be on my way to the sports bar.

Baby Lee
12-07-2005, 11:37 AM
I very seldom drive there. It must not be on my way to the sports bar.
I hear they frown on throwback jerseys there, or maybe they just toss a fey snicker your way. :thailor:

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 11:39 AM
They wear quicker, and the aggressive pattern cuts down on gas mileage and increases road noise.

What's the mileage impact?

Other than road noise, it seems like I can do a quick cost-benefit analysis on the average replacement cost and gasoline costs versus the cost and time of getting the tires switched out twice a year.

beavis
12-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Does your bike have snow tires on it?

seclark
12-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Other than road noise, it seems like I can do a quick cost-benefit analysis on the average replacement cost and gasoline costs versus the cost and time of getting the tires switched out twice a year.
can you check and see if it's worth leaving the chains on my truck tires, too?
sec

Baby Lee
12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
What's the mileage impact?
That might, might, depend on your car and the specific tires. Doncha think.

Or you could be a non-peach car drivin' pansy and switch the tires out yerself. :shrug:

;)

Pants
12-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Snow tires = better grip = more friction = higher resistance = more work = higher gas milege. Plus they wear like mother****ers.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Or you could be a non-peach car drivin' pansy and switch the tires out yerself. :shrug:

;)

I have no doubt that the final result of that would be me pinned underneath an overturned and burning car, being attacked by coyotes.

John_Wayne
12-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I think snow tires make more noise too.

morphius
12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Ah. So it's a cost issue? I hadn't considered that.

Do snow tires cost more, too? It's been a while since I bought tires.
I can't say, I have never bought any. My friend in Denver did that and wore through them pretty quickly on his "Playskool's First Beemer". I do know he bought a pretty expensive set of snow tires and just raved about them.

Radar Chief
12-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I have no doubt that the final result of that would be me pinned underneath an overturned and burning car, being attacked by coyotes.

Attacked? Probably more like “scavenged”. ;)

Radar Chief
12-07-2005, 12:11 PM
As far as MPG difference, probably very little real difference assume’n you have the same size tire, same rolling diameter. They, snow tires, may be a bit heavier but we’re honestly talk’n uh MPG, maybe two.
That and if you were actually drive’n your car as a performance vehicle you’d notice a huge difference in traction between the snow and even mild street tires.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 12:14 PM
I can't say, I have never bought any. My friend in Denver did that and wore through them pretty quickly on his "Playskool's First Beemer". I do know he bought a pretty expensive set of snow tires and just raved about them.

Yeah, these are upper-end tires, though I don't remember the cost. Before I had them, I could tell I was losing traction the first time it snowed, and the car has one of those anti-skid systems that hits the brake on one or more tires to automatically stop the skid. So I was driving around with all four tires randomly braking separately or in unison, and it was not a whole lot of fun. With these snow tires, I just go. It's like having an apricot jeep.

Radar Chief
12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, these are upper-end tires, though I don't remember the cost. Before I had them, I could tell I was losing traction the first time it snowed, and the car has one of those anti-skid systems that hits the brake on one or more tires to automatically stop the skid. So I was driving around with all four tires randomly braking separately or in unison, and it was not a whole lot of fun. With these snow tires, I just go. It's like having an apricot jeep.

Blasphemer!

Baby Lee
12-07-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.willys-mb.co.uk/images/eugene-jeep.gif

HemiEd
12-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Agreed, also the snow tires will not handle as well turning. The vibration will increase wear on suspension components as well.

Miles
12-07-2005, 02:05 PM
With the type of car you have the snow tires will hurt handling and ride when the streets are clear. Basically will take away a lot of the performance characteristics of your car.

And yeah, summer performace tires do completly suck in the snow.