PDA

View Full Version : Colts' behavior ridiculous, Titans coach says

FringeNC
12-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Peyton Manning makes an ass out of himself...

Colts' behavior ridiculous, Titans coach says
Fisher believes unbeaten Indy needs to spend time on football etiquette
The Associated Press
Updated: 7:16 p.m. ET Dec. 5, 2005

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher thinks the undefeated Indianapolis Colts might want to spend a little time on their football etiquette.

Fisher wasn’t happy about the way Peyton Manning and the Colts concluded the first half of their 35-3 victory over the Titans on Sunday. With 24 seconds left, Manning knelt down, then handed the ball to an official and started toward the locker room.

Then Manning and the Colts reversed field, seemingly hoping for one last play. That set off confusion on a field filled with players and coaches, and Fisher said Monday that he thought it was “absurd” and “ridiculous.”

“That should fall under the category of unsportsmanlike conduct. Nothing positive to gain from that situation other than push and shove and those kind of things on the field, and I don’t understand it. They don’t need to explain it to me, but I don’t understand it,” Fisher said.

The Colts led 14-3 at the time and finished with their sixth straight victory over their one-time AFC South rivals in a game that showed just how much work the NFL’s youngest team really has left in its rebuilding project.

Fisher said it appeared as if the Colts were trying to catch the Titans (3-9) for a penalty with what he called “75 guys, 10 trainers and four doctors on the field rather than 12. A lot of benefit from that.”

They’re unusually strong comments from Fisher that could be prompted by his Titans’ 8-20 record over the past two seasons. But he’s also a veteran coach with a firm grasp of football rules — both written and unspoken — as co-chairman of the NFL’s competition committee.

This is a topic that likely will be up for discussion by the committee this offseason if Fisher has anything to do with it.

“You asked me my opinion. I thought it was ridiculous,” Fisher said. “To me, it should fall under some category, or there’s going to be problems, you know. Maybe I’ll put a rule in this offseason.”

Titans rookie cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones ran and hit Colts running back James Mungro to try and disrupt any play. Fisher said he doesn’t have a problem with anyone on his club reacting as they did.

“Somebody should’ve taken the ball and thrown it in the stands. By all indications, they took the snap, kneeled down, flipped the ball and left the field. Half’s over,” Fisher said.

“Ask them.”
© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10340780/

chiefsfaninNC
12-07-2005, 02:14 PM
14-3 is still close. Excellent move. Sounds like Fisher wants to coach in Denver.

FringeNC
12-07-2005, 02:17 PM
14-3 is still close. Excellent move. Sounds like Fisher wants to coach in Denver.

No way, that's an understand part of the game. You flip the ball to the ref, trot off the field, and it's half.

Anyone who tries to work that margin, and claim technicalities....that's so weak..

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 02:29 PM
I find that hilarious.

tk13
12-07-2005, 02:30 PM
I don't know if it was ridiculous, but it was definitely odd. Manning tried to get really cute, I don't know what exactly he was trying to accomplish, they weren't in FG range or anything. 8 bazillion people on the field and he tries to steal the ball from the official and give it to his center. Somebody should've blasted Manning to the ground. I have no problem with him wanting to be cute, but then I have no problem with someone making him pay the price if he tries to show you up like that.

jspchief
12-07-2005, 02:30 PM
QBs that f*ck with these types of things deserve to get their heads smashed in.

This is almost as bad as the fake kneel down, If I was a D coach, I'd instruct my players to hit the QB, no matter how late, if he faked a knee.

Not suprising that a bitch like Manning would pull it.

ChiefGator
12-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Not suprising that a bitch like Manning would pull it.

I think it's ridiculous he would try it in that game though. Save your cuteness for a close game.

Guru
12-07-2005, 02:33 PM
IT is things like that that make me hate Manning.

Amnorix
12-07-2005, 02:35 PM
I really don't understand the Colts.

I dislike their team, admittedly, but I certainly respect what they can do on the field, especially on offense.

But unlike the Titans (a tough out in the 2001-2003 timeframe), the Steelers, the Chiefs, the Eagles (with the exception of the Unmentionable One), and even other teams I dislike like the Jets and Dolphins, I simply DO NOT understand why they do half the things they do, or how they can get away with some of the chicksh*t stuff they do on the field, especially on offense.

ChiTown
12-07-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't know if it was ridiculous, but it was definitely odd. Manning tried to get really cute, I don't know what exactly he was trying to accomplish, they weren't in FG range or anything. 8 bazillion people on the field and he tries to steal the ball from the official and give it to his center. Somebody should've blasted Manning to the ground. I have no problem with him wanting to be cute, but then I have no problem with someone making him pay the price if he tries to show you up like that.

It would have been really cute if someone from the Titans would have taken Mannning out at the knees. You fuk around like that and you deserve a cheapshot of biblical proportions.

jidar
12-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Manning does this type of shit all the time, and I can't ****ing stand it.
It's ****ing cheap as hell and it's sad that someone at the very top of the game engages in this type of behavior on a regular basis.
They're going to have to make a new rule just to cover people who are trying to be cute about shit like this.

FringeNC
12-07-2005, 02:43 PM
They're going to have to make a new rule just to cover people who are trying to be cute about shit like this.

Yep. No running off the field until the clock says :00, just so Peyton can try to pad his stats.

Frosty
12-07-2005, 02:59 PM
how they can get away with some of the chicksh*t stuff they do on the field, especially on offense.

Because it's Saint Manning. This is the guy that the NFL made up new rules for after the whine fest that occurred after the Colts lost to the Pats two years ago.

Mecca
12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I personally find this funny. If you find anything you can use as an advantage so be it.........

Jeff Fishers also been doing alot of bitching this year, I think coaching his horrid team is getting to him.

CaptainMorgan
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow... can we please stop the bitchery. Its a close game, their battling for homefield advantage...so what if Manning tries to catch them with something like this. If it works for a touchdown, its a good idea...

and for those who think Manning should be "taken out at the knees" for trying to pull a fast one, maybe you should be taken out at the knees the next time your chubby ass tries to sneak out of the office early for lunch...get some class.

kaplin42
12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
while im not so sure i agree with what manning did in this article, i personaly think its brilliant how he wont let a defense sub guys in and out. gives his team the advantage, and if you have the ability to be smarter than your opponent, then by all means do it.

ChiTown
12-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Wow... can we please stop the bitchery. Its a close game, their battling for homefield advantage...so what if Manning tries to catch them with something like this. If it works for a touchdown, its a good idea...

and for those who think Manning should be "taken out at the knees" for trying to pull a fast one, maybe you should be taken out at the knees the next time your chubby ass tries to sneak out of the office early for lunch...get some class.

:clap:

Spoken like a true Colts Fan!

ROFL

Calcountry
12-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't know if it was ridiculous, but it was definitely odd. Manning tried to get really cute, I don't know what exactly he was trying to accomplish, they weren't in FG range or anything. 8 bazillion people on the field and he tries to steal the ball from the official and give it to his center. Somebody should've blasted Manning to the ground. I have no problem with him wanting to be cute, but then I have no problem with someone making him pay the price if he tries to show you up like that.Well, I am appalled that a chiefs fan couldn't even think such a thing. We are suppose to be better than that.

Clint in Wichita
12-07-2005, 04:01 PM
The Titans are far more ridiculous than any of Manning's antics.

Maybe someday they'll actually get an NFL caliber team in Nashville.

Sully
12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
... maybe you should be taken out at the knees the next time your chubby ass tries to sneak out of the office early for lunch...

Dude... I"M BIG BONED!!!!

CaptainMorgan
12-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Not a Colts fan at all...I'm a diehard Chiefs fan, and always will be...that doesn't mean I don't have respect for other players, and their abilities...or that I behave like a classless goon.

ChiTown
12-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Not a Colts fan at all...I'm a diehard Chiefs fan, and always will be...that doesn't mean I don't have respect for other players, and their abilities...or that I behave like a classless goon.

Welcome to ChiefsPlanet.............

chefsos
12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I didn't see it happen. If Manning had taken a snap, what could the result have been besides a 12(+) men on the field penalty for both sides, or did the Colts' sideline personnel stay off the field? There seems to be nothing to gain by doing this.

Also- Didn't Fisher open up his bag o' tricks in Indy last year, i.e., onside kicks etc.? Maybe this is just the second half of a little pissing match.

carlos3652
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
I think this is a good time to bring out the OWNED pics... Titans suck.. its a trick play and it worked... same when the qb walks to the sideline faking a tieout and direct snapping to the RB...

Grow a pair... you were caught with your pants down in a close game...

carlos3652
12-07-2005, 04:21 PM
If Manning had taken a snap, what could the result have been besides a 12(+) men on the field penalty for both sides, or did the Colts' sideline personnel stay off the field? There seems to be nothing to gain by doing this.

Also- Didn't Fisher open up his bag o' tricks in Indy last year, i.e., onside kicks etc.? Maybe this is just the second half of a little pissing match.

FREE PLAY!

Extra Point
12-07-2005, 04:25 PM
PLAYOFF SCENARIO, AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, CHIEFS AT INDY:

Dennis Johnson, meet Peyton Manning.

Peyton Manning, me... Peyton? Peyton?

Deberg_1990
12-07-2005, 04:35 PM
I cant wait for the Colts to do their annual Nosedive in the playoffs. Hopefully its the Chiefs who hand it to them this year. We owe them big time. I cant stand that Manning Prick.

headsnap
12-07-2005, 04:37 PM

who is Dennis? :shrug:

DJJasonp
12-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Another in a long list of reasons to hate Manning.

As a coach, I would have paid any amount of fine for any player of mine that laid a smackdown on him for the bush league move.

Valiant
12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Hell do whatever you can to get a penalty.. I assume peyton was trying to get a D-penalty where the clock would stop and they would get free yards...

shaneo69
12-07-2005, 07:27 PM
This is funny, because at the end of the 3rd quarter with about 10 seconds to go on Sunday, the Broncos had the ball and players from both teams started walking to the other end of the field, and for the first time in my life, I actually had the sick feeling that the Broncos were going to turn around and run back to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball with no defenders in sight.

I had no idea the Colts had done this.

siberian khatru
12-07-2005, 07:41 PM

DJ!

http://www.collectr.com/bk/images/kpjohnsond.jpg

Halfcan
12-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Manning is the biggest freakin crybaby and the league lets him get away with it. I hope his leg gets busted next time he tries that shit.

el borracho
12-07-2005, 08:45 PM

Manning tried to physically take the ball from the official?

Doesn't an official have to spot the ball before a play can begin? It's not up to the quarterback to get the ball to the center and then the offense just sets wherever they want. Even if the Colts had snapped the ball, I don't see where it could have counted for anything.

On a side note, it would have been funny if Manning had been penalized or ejected from the game for contacting the official when he tried to steal the ball back.

Fishpicker
12-07-2005, 11:08 PM
I think its extremely Bush-league. it works within the rules though. I doubt the NFL would ever adopt a rule that actually inhibited Manning from padding stats.

huskerdooz
12-08-2005, 12:06 AM

Since Dennis is going to be there I'm assuming Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and Robert Parrish are going to be there as well.

I didn't know that Peyton was a big Celtics fan.

Amnorix
12-08-2005, 05:40 AM
The Titans are far more ridiculous than any of Manning's antics.

Maybe someday they'll actually get an NFL caliber team in Nashville.

Fisher is a good coach, but they went for the gusto in the '99-'03 timeframe, making the SB once and the playoffs several times (they were just as tough as Carolina in the '03 playoffs for the Pats to deal with), but then the salary cap caught up to them.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 07:30 AM
This coming from a coach that walked all over Jacksonville every chance he got back in 98-2000...SHADDUP!

Spicy McHaggis
12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow... can we please stop the bitchery. Its a close game, their battling for homefield advantage...

Battling might be a little much. You could say they were "strolling their way" to home field advantage or "pile-driving" their way to home-field advantage but let's face it. It was the Titans and the Colts would have had to pull a Donkey-like meltdown to not get HFA throughout.

sedated
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Peyton's a d!ck who thinks he knows everything.

He's like the cocky music store cashiers that wear thick black glasses, worn obscure band t-shirts, and think that everyone is below them. Dude, you work in a music store and no one likes you cause your always act like a smart-ass kunt.

F*cking assh0les.

What were we talking about?