PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years: we miss you, John

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 06:24 AM
I can't believe it's been 25 years since John Lennon was murdered. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I think it was my generation's 'Kennedy' moment. I couldn't listen to his song 'Happy Christmas' for many years without breaking into tears...

Makes you wonder what kind of impact he would have had on music and on his world...

:toast: to his life!

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 06:27 AM
I love the Meatmen, and you still suck!!!!!

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 06:27 AM
I love the Meatmen, and you still suck!!!!!

Ah, that is true Lennon spirit. :rolleyes:

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Ah, that is true Lennon spirit. :rolleyes:

power through anarchy was lennons spirit.

ptlyon
12-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Just like I said when Harrison died...

Two down, two to go.

Hog Rider
12-08-2005, 07:02 AM
"Nothin' to live...for"

What a wonderful world he imagined!

seclark
12-08-2005, 07:03 AM
f@kers are harsh...i love this place.
sec

Ultra Peanut
12-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Just like I said when Harrison died...

Two down, two to go.You said, "Two down, two to go," when Lennon died?

Were you being non-sensical, or is math just not your strong suit?

trndobrd
12-08-2005, 07:06 AM
I think it was my generation's 'Kennedy' moment.

You're old.

Dartgod
12-08-2005, 07:06 AM
I was wondering this morning what kind of music would he have made over these years had he not been shot. Such a talent, lost forever. RIP, John..

ptlyon
12-08-2005, 07:10 AM
You said, "Two down, two to go," when Lennon died?

Were you being non-sensical, or is math just not your strong suit?

Read it again, Psi.

Are you being non-sensical, or is english just not your strong suit?

:)

JohninGpt
12-08-2005, 07:11 AM
You're old.
You're really old when your generations "Kennedy Moment" happened at Ford's theater.

greg63
12-08-2005, 07:18 AM
I was a Sophomore in High School when he was killed, and unfortunately I really didn't have a chance to follow too closely his career because growing up my parents inundated us with country, "The Carpenters", Ray Stevens (which was pretty cool), and gospel. Man, what a weird mix; no wonder I'm so screwed up. :D

Ultra Peanut
12-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Read it again, Psi.

Are you being non-sensical, or is english just not your strong suit?

:)This is about Lennon, and your response was that it was just like when Harrison died. STUF NUB

Nzoner
12-08-2005, 07:34 AM
I was a teenager,never forget watching Monday Night Football in my bedroom and Howard Cosell breaking the news.

RIP John

BigChiefFan
12-08-2005, 07:38 AM
25 years of missing out on Lennon's music is a shame. I still can't believe some psycho would kill one of music's true greats. R.I.P John Lennon. He may have died, but his music will live on forever!!!

ptlyon
12-08-2005, 07:43 AM
This is about Lennon, and your response was that it was just like when Harrison died. STUF NUB

WOW. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

So which side was it?

stevieray
12-08-2005, 07:43 AM
eh, it's not even close to being a Kennedy moment.

Ultra Peanut
12-08-2005, 07:45 AM

So which side was it?You think I went to bed? At night?!

**** that Dutch noise!

stevieray
12-08-2005, 07:47 AM

So which side was it?

the girl side.

ptlyon
12-08-2005, 07:48 AM
the girl side.

BA DA BING!

glad someone caught that

Donger
12-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Too bad he tarnished himself with 'Hair Peace' and other such trendy crap.

BigChiefFan
12-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Too bad he tarnished himself with 'Hair Peace' and other such trendy crap.
Maybe in YOUR eyes.

Donger
12-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Maybe in YOUR eyes.

Anyone that wasn't a filthy hippie.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 08:05 AM

ROFL

Hey we had a kennedy moment too, pay attention to us!!

Ultra Peanut
12-08-2005, 08:07 AM
BA DA BING!

glad someone caught thatEither that was exceptionally obtuse, or I'm too tired to fully appreciate the jocoseness of the surely-hilarious exchange.

ptlyon
12-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Either that was exceptionally obtuse, or I'm too tired to fully appreciate the jocoseness of the surely-hilarious exchange.

Go to bed Sunshine.

Ultra Peanut
12-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Go to bed Sunshine.Bada bing?

Who do you think you are, Joe Pesci?

BigChiefFan
12-08-2005, 08:10 AM
:rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss.

mlyonsd
12-08-2005, 08:10 AM
John Lennon died?

John_Wayne
12-08-2005, 08:11 AM
I hate the Beatles. Why couldn't that dude pump a few slugs into Yoko too?

PastorMikH
12-08-2005, 08:13 AM
It is sad that the guy was murdered.

I do think though that Yoko Ono was the best thing that could ever happen to the Beatles.

Donger
12-08-2005, 08:34 AM
:rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss.

Ignorance? Are you suggesting that he wasn't a hippie? Are you suggesting that he and his Asian version of chiefs4me did not hold multiple 'Hair Peace' and 'Bed In' events?

Clint in Wichita
12-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I wonder what a "Hank Williams Jr. got his head blowed clean off" thread would look like?

Donger
12-08-2005, 08:39 AM
I wonder what a "Hank Williams Jr. got his head blowed clean off" thread would look like?

Considerably more messy?

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 08:41 AM

about 1000000000000 posts more than if it were you.

Brock
12-08-2005, 08:42 AM

ha ha, Dimebag's dead.

John_Wayne
12-08-2005, 08:42 AM
I remember when Reagan was shot. That was a terrible day. The world would have been worse off if he had died. We should all thank God that he lived. He defeated the Soviet Union and rescued our economy from Carter's idiocy. He turned out to be one of our greatest Presidents in history.

John Lennon was a musician. Who cares? They snort coke and keel over every day, or so it seems. So he was shot. Big deal. It's too bad when anyone dies or is murdered. But it's not a big deal in the course of human history. Losing a great President is a world changing event. When evil terrorists attack your country and kill 3000 people, that is a world changing event.

Well, I'm rambling on. I guess I'm off topic here. But it's just what came to my mind. I guess it's my 2 cents.

Dartgod
12-08-2005, 08:45 AM
I remember when Reagan was shot. That was a terrible day. The world would have been worse off if he had died. We should all thank God that he lived. He defeated the Soviet Union and rescued our economy from Carter's idiocy. He turned out to be one of our greatest Presidents in history.

John Lennon was a musician. Who cares? They snort coke and keel over every day, or so it seems. So he was shot. Big deal. It's too bad when anyone dies or is murdered. But it's not a big deal in the course of human history. Losing a great President is a world changing event. When evil terrorists attack your country and kill 3000 people, that is a world changing event.

Well, I'm rambling on. I guess I'm off topic here. But it's just what came to my mind. I guess it's my 2 cents..
Other than the fact that many people do care, and he did in fact influence lives, you're probably right.

But thanks again for coming into this thread and crapping on his grave, douche bag.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Oh boy, you asked for it GF - here comes the ghey parade

Dartgod
12-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Oh boy, you asked for it GF - here comes the ghey parade
Ghey parade?

I could give two shits less about his politics, the man was an extremely talented musician and songwriter. The world (his many fans anyway) missed out on 25 years of his music.

Donger
12-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Other than the fact that many people do care, and he did in fact influence lives, you're probably right.

But thanks again for coming into this thread and crapping on his grave, douche bag.

As always, I amazed that some peoples' lives are 'influenced' by musicians. I can, and do, enjoy music, but beyond that I can't say that ANY musician has 'influenced' my life in any capacity other than simply enjoying their music.

Clint in Wichita
12-08-2005, 08:49 AM
about 1000000000000 posts more than if it were you.

Probably a few suicides, too.

John_Wayne
12-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Ghey parade?

I could give two shits less about his politics, the man was an extremely talented musician and songwriter. The world (his many fans anyway) missed out on 25 years of his music. I didn't say anything about Lennon's politics.

Dartgod
12-08-2005, 08:53 AM
As always, I amazed that some peoples' lives are 'influenced' by musicians. I can, and do, enjoy music, but beyond that I can't say that ANY musician has 'influenced' my life in any capacity other than simply enjoying their music.
Well, might he have influenced other muscian's lives?

I understand what you are saying though. I wouldn't say any one musician or musical group has influence my life, but overall, enjoying their music has an influence on me.

John_Wayne
12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
As always, I amazed that some peoples' lives are 'influenced' by musicians. I can, and do, enjoy music, but beyond that I can't say that ANY musician has 'influenced' my life in any capacity other than simply enjoying their music. Exactly. I couldn't have said it better.

Dartgod
12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
I didn't say anything about Lennon's politics.I wasn't responding to you.

Boyceofsummer
12-08-2005, 08:55 AM

Well, I'm rambling on. I guess I'm off topic here. But it's just what came to my mind. I guess it's my 2 cents.

he and his administration obviously did an excellent job of fooling you and many others here. What a punk you are.

p.s For the record, Carter did not install a puppet regime in Iran. Who did?

Dartgod
12-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Oh good grief, can we please keep this out of the DC forum?

John_Wayne
12-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I wasn't responding to you. My bad. However, I don't think anyone else said anything about his politics either. Oh well. Who cares.......

chagrin
12-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Sorry Dartgod...

Gunther Fan, I think you know who I was referring to. We have already received one attack because of that post, that's what I meant.

Sorry dudes, I wasn't getting political, but I was warning of the impending...

John_Wayne
12-08-2005, 09:03 AM
he and his administration obviously did an excellent job of fooling you and many others here. What a punk you are.

p.s For the record, Carter did not install a puppet regime in Iran. Who did?

Oh brother. Here comes the kook parade. Let's just drop the whole thing and move on. Next we'll hear that the holocaust never happened, we never landed on the moon and the world is flat.

Reagan was a bumbling idiot and Lennon should have been President. We all could have been living in yellow submarines.

There, does that fix everything for you?

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 09:03 AM

I understand what you are saying though. I wouldn't say any one musician or musical group has influence my life, but overall, enjoying their music has an influence on me.

I hear what you are sayin Dart,and its a fact that the Beatles both influenced and were rivals.it drove brian wilson mad.
but Pet Sounds is a great LP.

Brock
12-08-2005, 09:06 AM

You are such a pile of crap. Feel free to stop breathing immediately.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Of course, I'm a musician, but Lennon had an impact on my life, even though I was 7 when he died. I spent the first few years of my life listening to John Lennon music and it not influenced my musical tastes and the musical ability I developed later, but it also influenced the way I view the world and other people. In some ways, it galvanized some of my NEGATIVE feelings about Lennon and his politics, and in some ways it affected my views on fellow people and how to treat them.

Speaking of how to treat other people, Gunther Fan can go fist himself. First class douchebag.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:07 AM

Sure. Enjoying music is an influence on one's life. By 'influence' however, I was referring to those that actually listen to music and not only enjoy it, but it also somehow changes their lives.

To me, those such people either have a screw loose or don't know what the f*ck they want out of life in the first place.

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 09:08 AM
You are such a pile of crap. Feel free to stop breathing immediately.

i second that emotion.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Oh brother. Here comes the kook parade. Let's just drop the whole thing and move on. Next we'll hear that the holocaust never happened, we never landed on the moon and the world is flat.

Reagan was a bumbling idiot and Lennon should have been President. We all could have been living in yellow submarines.

There, does that fix everything for you?

DC forum or else.

I'm not gonna **** with you today, got it?

BigChiefFan
12-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Sure. Enjoying music is an influence on one's life. By 'influence' however, I was referring to those that actually listen to music and not only enjoy it, but it also somehow changes their lives.

To me, those such people either have a screw loose or don't know what the f*ck they want out of life in the first place.
You either understand it or you don't. Lennon is/was a legend. He DID INFLUENCE people through his songs and his ACTIONS. He didn't just sit on his ass and think about making the world a better place, he actually did something about it. Right, wrong, or indifferent on his world views is irrelevant to the point. The point is the man made a DIFFERENCE in many, many lives. He stood up for what he believes in...peace and you called him "trendy" for it. Since when was peace "trendy"?

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:21 AM
You either understand it or you don't. Lennon is/was a legend. He DID INFLUENCE people through his songs and his ACTIONS.

He was a gifted musician.

I enjoyed/enjoy his music.

It is a shame that that music was silenced by a nut job.

Beyond that, he had zero influence upon me. If he did you, fine.

He didn't just sit on his ass and think about making the world a better place, he actually did something about it. Right, wrong, or indifferent on his world views is irrelevant to the point. The point is the man made a DIFFERENCE in many, many lives. He stood up for what he believes in...peace and you called him "trendy" for it. Since when was peace "trendy"?

I hate to tell you this, but the peace movement was incredibly trendy.

BigChiefFan
12-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Some try to practice it, others think it's trendy.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Some try to practice it, others think it's trendy.

And some do it just to try to get some free love.

Saulbadguy
12-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Same here. I listen to and enjoy many types of music, but no musician has ever "influenced my life."

I am around college kids alot and I hear alot of talk about Dave Matthews Band, and how he has inspired them, influenced them, blah blah blah. Just not my bag, I guess.

Clint in Wichita
12-08-2005, 09:31 AM
He was a gifted musician.

I enjoyed/enjoy his music.

It is a shame that that music was silenced by a nut job.

Beyond that, he had zero influence upon me. If he did you, fine.

War is apparently "en vogue" now.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Same here. I listen to and enjoy many types of music, but no musician has ever "influenced my life."

I am around college kids alot and I hear alot of talk about Dave Matthews Band, and how he has inspired them, influenced them, blah blah blah. Just not my bag, I guess.

One would think the college students would have gathered their influences elsewhere, after all they're already adults.

But in a situation like mine, where Lennon (among others) was a big part of my FORMATIVE years, how can you deny "influence"?

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:32 AM
You either understand it or you don't. Lennon is/was a legend. He DID INFLUENCE people through his songs and his ACTIONS. He didn't just sit on his ass and think about making the world a better place, he actually did something about it. Right, wrong, or indifferent on his world views is irrelevant to the point. The point is the man made a DIFFERENCE in many, many lives. He stood up for what he believes in...peace and you called him "trendy" for it. Since when was peace "trendy"?

Exactly, he was but one musician/songwriter/ACTIVIST who influenced people's lives if they chose and in ways they chose.

I think it's asisinine to pretend that artists, be they musician, poets, philosophers, or painters, don't influence lives. They do whether you realize it or not. They influence and affect society. If you are a member of society, you are influenced.

In Lennon's case, his peace activism certainly motivated many who shared similiar inclinations to become the same. Likewise, it could have motivated those who are against peace activism to be more active in their beliefs and causes...

Lennon's music,as a member of the Beatles, inspired or at least introduced untold numbers of listeners and fellow musicians to a new genre of music and a new genre of musicians.

Again, you can pretend you are above being influenced by artists in society but as long as you live in a commericalized culture you are. Check that, even before cultures became so commericalized they've been influenced by artists...since the beginning of time.

BigChiefFan
12-08-2005, 09:34 AM

LMAO!!!Quality.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:34 AM

Having 3000 civilians killed tends to make that an inevitability.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:36 AM
One would think the college students would have gathered their influences elsewhere, after all they're already adults.

But in a situation like mine, where Lennon (among others) was a big part of my FORMATIVE years, how can you deny "influence"?

You made a good point. I should have prefaced my statement with "adults." Sure, young kids are easily influenced. Hell, I wanted to be Skeletor when I was young.

memyselfI
DC forum or else.

I'm not gonna **** with you today, got it?

Please don't give some trolls the satisfaction of hi-jacking this thread and making it a political one just because of who is the thread starter.

Dartgod
Exactly, he was but one musician/songwriter/ACTIVIST who influenced people's lives if they chose and in ways they chose.

I think it's asisinine to pretend that artists, be they musician, poets, philosophers, or painters, don't influence lives. They do whether you realize it or not. They influence and affect society. If you are a member of society, you are influenced.

In Lennon's case, his peace activism certainly motivated many who shared similiar inclinations to become the same. Likewise, it could have motivated those who are against peace activism to be more active in their beliefs and causes...

Lennon's music,as a member of the Beatles, inspired or at least introduced untold numbers of listeners and fellow musicians to a new genre of music and a new genre of musicians.

Again, you can pretend you are above being influenced by artists in society but as long as you live in a commericalized culture you are. Check that, even before cultures became so commericalized they've been influenced by artists...since the beginning of time.
Ugh! I really hate agreeing with Duh-nese.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:37 AM

Speak for yourself, hippie. Don't presume to speak for me.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 09:38 AM
And there are those, that even post on this site (no names needed) who just talk, and do nothing else, PRETENDING to be influenced by him as well.

Saulbadguy

After reading the rest of these posts, it got me thinking about levels of influence. I guess musicians have influenced my life, but not to the point where I can really tell now, or think back and remember any musicians who may have at some part of my life.

Kurt Cobain comes to mind. :shrug:

Clint in Wichita
Having 3000 civilians killed tends to make that an inevitability.

Please don't be one of the fools who thinks Iraq had anything to do with 9-11.

Dartgod
Please don't give some trolls the satisfaction of hi-jacking this thread and making it a political one just because of who is the thread starter.
Good Lord! Does everything have to be about you?

Thanks for removing that awful taste from the pit of my stomach for agreeing with you on the previous post. You have proved once again what an ignorant c**t you really are.

gblowfish
When I was in college at Mizzou, our school radio station had a show called "Feature Album" where we played a current album in its entirety, and another show called "Classic Album" where we'd play an older album that was a classic. We had a DJ named John Clayton who did both shows. The night John Lennon got shot, our Feature Album was "Double Fantasy", and we were in the middle of the album when the news broke. I still have the AP teletype copy at home when it first hit the news wire. Clayton was also on the air playing "Coda" when John Bonham (Led Zep drummer) died, and was playing "Who's Next" when Keith Moon died. We were glad when he graduated, he kept killing off rock stars on his show...

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Speak for yourself, hippie. Don't presume to speak for me.

Unless you live in a bubble then you are influenced by art in our culture...

the influence could even be to validate your contempt for such an influence. Even then, you are being influenced.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Please don't be one of the fools who thinks Iraq had anything to do with 9-11.

I'm not.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Good Lord! Does everything have to be about you?

Thanks for removing that awful taste from the pit of my stomach for agreeing with you on the previous post. You have proved once again what an ignorant c**t you really are.

Look, there are trolls here who want to hi-jack this thread for no other reason than to see it in DC. My point was don't let them.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Unless you live in a bubble then you are influenced by art in our culture...

the influence could even be to validate your contempt for such an influence. Even then, you are being influenced.

What did I just say?

By 'influence,' I mean a life changing or life altering influence. That has not ever happened by any 'artist.'

Dartgod
12-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Look, there are trolls here who want to hi-jack this thread for no other reason than to see it in DC. My point was don't let them.
Which explains why you added the disclaimer "just because of who is the thread starter". :rolleyes:

You point was to call attention to yourself. Plain and simple...

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
What did I just say?

By 'influence,' I mean a life changing or life altering influence. That has not ever happened by any 'artist.'

Has anyone here posted that John Lennon was a life altering influence? Perhaps there are some people who feel he was. I haven't seen anyone say he changed their lives for the better or worse.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Which explains why you added the disclaimer "just because of who is the thread starter". :rolleyes:

Heh.

"Don't let the hippie influence you, Dartgod!"

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:44 AM

No, your protestations have caused more attention to that post than it otherwise would have had. Good job. :rolleyes:

This thread is about John Lennon and our memories of him. Trolls be damned.

siberian khatru
12-08-2005, 09:45 AM
After GF flew his jetliner into this thread, I stood watching as smoke billowed from it. Now I see in horror it collapsing upon itself.

Donger
12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Has anyone here posted that John Lennon was a life altering influence? Perhaps there are some people who feel he was. I haven't seen anyone say he changed their lives for the better or worse.

Then you're not reading closely enough. Parker and BigChiefFan seem to be of that opinion.

To me, its a question of degrees of influence. Did the music of John Lennon 'influence' me? Sure, a little. So does heat, cold, hunger, etc. So what?

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:49 AM
After GF flew his jetliner into this thread, I stood watching as smoke billowed from it. Now I see in horror it collapsing upon itself.

No, no, no.

You and I have discussed how we have YES songs we want played at our funerals. I bet Lennon has had played at many a wedding, funeral, and other important life ceremonies. As has been Vivaldi or Mozart. No, I'm not comparing legends. I'm making a point on how these people influence our lives...to the point of inviting their presence into our lives during meaningful times.

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 09:49 AM
by the time lennon was doing his hardcore hippy thing most of the 'hippies' were trendy.
i only have to look from my fathers generation born in 44' to my mothers born in 51' to tell me its truth.

trendy sells records after you best days are behind you.

siberian khatru
12-08-2005, 09:51 AM
No, no, no.

You and I have discussed how we have YES songs we want played at our funerals. I bet Lennon has had played at many a wedding, funeral, and other important life ceremonies. As has been Vivaldi or Mozart. No, I'm not comparing legends. I'm making a point on how these people influence our lives...to the point of inviting their presence into our lives during meaningful times.

:shrug: Um, OK, but believe it or not, I wasn't taking a shot at you.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Then you're not reading closely enough. Parker and BigChiefFan seem to be of that opinion.

To me, its a question of degrees of influence. Did the music of John Lennon 'influence' me? Sure, a little. So does heat, cold, hunger, etc. So what?

Do you celebrate imporant life events by playing heat, cold, or hunger?

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:53 AM
:shrug: Um, OK, but believe it or not, I wasn't taking a shot at you.

I knew that. I was trying to get the thread back on track by showing how art, music in this instance, affects our lives. I know you understand this hence my using your post for the point.

The no's were at the plane crash attempt.

Donger
Do you celebrate imporant life events by playing heat, cold, or hunger?

I don't play music to celebrate important life events.

siberian khatru
I knew that. I was trying to get the thread back on track by showing how art, music in this instance, affects our lives.

:thumb:

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't play music to celebrate important life events.

No music played at your wedding? You have no music you want played at your funeral? No poetry or literature read?

Donger
I knew that. I was trying to get the thread back on track by showing how art, music in this instance, affects our lives.

Again, I'm not saying it does not, to a certain extent. But not to a level of life changing, at least not for me.

Understand?

Donger
No music played at your wedding? You have no music you want played at your funeral? No poetry or literature read?

See above.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Again, I'm not saying it does not, to a certain extent. But not to a level of life changing, at least not for me.

Understand?

Again, I don't see anyone claiming the only true influence is life changing. I see folks saying that Lennon was an important figure in our lifetime, not THE most important figure in our lifetime.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Uh ohh Islamic Hose Bag is out of her cage.

Donger
12-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Again, I don't see anyone claiming the only true influence is life changing. I see folks saying that Lennon was an important figure in our lifetime, not THE most important figure in our lifetime.

I gave you the references. It's up to you to read them. And, I said nothing about THE most important figure in our lifetime.

Stop pulling crap out of your ass.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Sorry, but I have to stick up for Denise here.

There are people that would prefer she not be allowed to post ANYWHERE but in DC. Because she posted this in the Lounge, an attempt was made to politicize the thread in an effort to get it moved to DC, essentially banishing her there.

It's wrong, and it won't happen.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 10:03 AM
What did I just say?

I think here is where you lost me. You then clarified your degrees of influence. And if you were not influenced by John Lennon then your loss...but for some reason you've felt to spend time on thread about him. So he's had some level of influence on you just today.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 10:04 AM

There are people that would prefer she not be allowed to post ANYWHERE but in DC. Because she posted this in the Lounge, an attempt was made to politicize the thread in an effort to get it moved to DC, essentially banishing her there.

Thank you.

Now back to John.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2005, 10:06 AM

Thank You Parker.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Thank You Parker.

Stop it BD. I wouldn't consider her my friend, but she has every right to post wherever she wants.

BIG_DADDY
12-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Stop it BD. I wouldn't consider her my friend, but she has every right to post wherever she wants.
ROFL

Clint in Wichita
12-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Thank You Parker.

Donger
12-08-2005, 10:22 AM
I think here is where you lost me. You then clarified your degrees of influence. And if you were not influenced by John Lennon then your loss...but for some reason you've felt to spend time on thread about him. So he's had some level of influence on you just today.

Because he was shot today 25 years ago.

This isn't rocket science.

Yes, I've listened to his music. Yes, I'm posting on this thread. Yes, for some stupid reason, I'm engaging you in conversation about it.

That's it.

BTW, for those that don't know, Lennon was not a very pleasant man. My father, who was born and raised in Liverpool, knew him when he was young. He was also a rather shitty husband and father.

But, by all means, fawn over him as if his music overcomes those enviable qualities.

Calcountry
12-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Ghey parade?

I could give two shits less about his politics, the man was an extremely talented musician and songwriter. The world (his many fans anyway) missed out on 25 years of his music.I would agree with this. As c onservative as I am, I enjoyed the majority of his music.

chiefs4me
12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Ignorance? Are you suggesting that he wasn't a hippie? Are you suggesting that he and his Asian version of chiefs4me did not hold multiple 'Hair Peace' and 'Bed In' events?

I have told you No a thousand times......:rolleyes:

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:04 AM
I was wondering this morning what kind of music would he have made over these years had he not been shot. Such a talent, lost forever. RIP, John..

Absolutely, a tragic loss, I don't think I have ever been sadder at the loss of a public figure. I was only 8 when Kennedy died that was also tragic but I was too young to fully feel the impact.

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:07 AM
It is sad that the guy was murdered.

I do think though that Yoko Ono was the best thing that could ever happen to the Beatles.:harumph: I am having a hard time following the logic here Mike?

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 11:14 AM
But, by all means, fawn over him as if his music overcomes those enviable qualities.

Should we hold his music in lower esteem because of it? Is so, then we should start doing it for everyone.

Of course, pretty soon there would be no one left to look up to. EVERYBODY has skeletons in their closet.

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:25 AM
And there are those, that even post on this site (no names needed) who just talk, and do nothing else, PRETENDING to be influenced by him as well.

Isn't exchanging thoughts what the BB concept is all about. What harm in it is there? Your post seems to indicate that is bad for some reason. If a person is pretending to be influenced by them then they are influenced, simply because they desire to be influenced otherwise there would be no motivation. If you are motivated to do something you have been influenced. Simply turning up the volume on a particular song shows you are influenced.

Ari Chi3fs
12-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I miss this guy... my sons middle name is Lennon.

This guy was badass... talented, and hilarious. There will never be another like him.

If Him and Jimi had lived on, IMAGINE...

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:30 AM
What did I just say?

Actually I would disagree, I know of a person who chose his career after seeing the Sistene Chapel. He was so awed by it that he was inspired to become an artist. I could name other examples but I think you get the point. It may not be true for you in particular but to assume it is not true for society as a whole is a flawed presumption.

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:33 AM

You point was to call attention to yourself. Plain and simple...Dart, if people did not make such an issue of her then she would not be able to call attention to herself with such a simple statement. :hmmm:

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
I don't play music to celebrate important life events.You are indeed rare then.

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Seriously Troy as a friend, this thread post is perfectly politics free, why was that needed?

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:41 AM

:clap:

vailpass
12-08-2005, 11:45 AM

ROFL ROFL

Logical
12-08-2005, 11:46 AM
BTW, for those that don't know, Lennon was not a very pleasant man. My father, who was born and raised in Liverpool, knew him when he was young. He was also a rather shitty husband and father.

True for his first wife and son, as he readily admitted. Not at all true for his second wife (though I did not think much of her) and son.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Isn't exchanging thoughts what the BB concept is all about. What harm in it is there? Your post seems to indicate that is bad for some reason. If a person is pretending to be influenced by them then they are influenced, simply because they desire to be influenced otherwise there would be no motivation. If you are motivated to do something you have been influenced. Simply turning up the volume on a particular song shows you are influenced.

Thanks for the semantics dipshit, but anyone who just talks and doesn't act is a coward - I don't give shit who they are. So, that's all I was saying and then I left because I didn't want to turn this thread into anything because I know how important John Lennon was/is to alot of people, others just like to talk. And since I was finding myself going somwhere inappropriate to the thread topic, I said my peace and I left.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Because he was shot today 25 years ago.

This isn't rocket science.

Yes, I've listened to his music. Yes, I'm posting on this thread. Yes, for some stupid reason, I'm engaging you in conversation about it.

That's it.

I think he would be the first to admit that his life was more utopian than his very existance was or ever could be...I think that might have even inspired a song. Imagine, that? :hmmm:

He certainly would not be the first artist who's life experiences were negative but they turned it into something very positive. I think John Lennon realized how bad of a first father and husband he WAS and thus he tried very hard, almost to the point of absurdity, to change that with his second wife and second child. Who knows if he would have reverted back to his first husband tendencies if he'd live to experience his entire life with Yoko and Sean. I tend to think by the time he was murdered he'd experienced enough of the superstar life to have settled down into a comfortable role of husband and father first, activist and philosopher second, musician and aging superstar somewhere else down the line.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the semantics dipshit, but anyone who just talks and doesn't act is a coward - I don't give shit who they are. So, that's all I was saying and then I left because I didn't want to turn this thread into anything because I know how important John Lennon was/is to alot of people, others just like to talk. And since I was finding myself going somwhere inappropriate to the thread topic, I said my peace and I left.

Actually, that would be piece. There was nothing remotely peace-ful about your post.

Duck Dog
12-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I never really understood why Lennon felt compelled to stick his British nose in American politics.

ehh, he's worm bate now. Good riddance.

ChiTown
12-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Good riddance

vailpass
12-08-2005, 11:52 AM

:clap:

Sybil
The Beatles were a great band; and Lennon was phenomenally talented. Though not the first, he's only risen to demigod status on the back of his tragic death though.

KCTitus
Im rather ambivalent about Lennon...I never much cared for his music and he was before my time.

At any rate, as famous as he was, I cannot for the life of me figure out how or why he hooked up with that Yoko chick. I mean she looks like someone tried to put a fire out on her face with a rake. Of all the women this guy could have had he took the one that ran face first into a wall about 20 times.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 11:53 AM
I think Donger is a robot. :D

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 11:54 AM
The Beatles were a great band; and Lennon was phenomenally talented. Though not the first, he's only risen to demigod status on the back of his tragic death though.

I think in the 60's he was already demigod. But I agree with part of your post.

See Princess Diana.

http://keirsey.com/diana_lg.jpg

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Im rather ambivalent about Lennon...I never much cared for his music and he was before my time.

At any rate, as famous as he was, I cannot for the life of me figure out how or why he hooked up with that Yoko chick. I mean she looks like someone tried to put a fire out on her face with a rake. Of all the women this guy could have had he took the one that ran face first into a wall about 20 times.

Ohmygawd. I'm agreeing with you way too much of late. :eek:

ptlyon
12-08-2005, 11:56 AM

I hear she could do things with a mango that would make your heart skip a beat.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 11:57 AM
I hear she could do things with a mango that would make your heart skip a beat.

Well, that shoots to sh*t my opinion that they had some kind of soulmate connection...maybe even from another time and place. ROFL

Logical
12-08-2005, 12:03 PM

I guess I just don't get your point, John Lennon definitely acted on his beliefs. People posting on a BB by definition are not able to act (does not mean they would not in the real world). Could you take the time to actually explain what you really mean, or do you just dislike people posting on threads like this one?

I appreciate that you did not want to hijack the thread.:thumb:

chagrin
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Actually, that would be piece. There was nothing remotely peace-ful about your post.

You hate REAL logic don't you. Are you going to get in a last word argument again - life support system for a pussy?

Logical
12-08-2005, 12:08 PM
You hate REAL logic don't you. Are you going to get in a last word argument again - life support system for a pussy?You know for someone who was so critical of the way I post on BB's on the other one, you sure lack the ability to post in a civil manner.

Oh and what is illogical about using the right word for the right purpose. You created an opportunity for her to make a clever pun based on your post and misuse of the wrong word.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 12:11 PM
You know for someone who was so critical of the way I post on BB's on the other one, you sure lack the ability to post in a civil manner.

Oh and what is illogical about using the right word for the right purpose. You created an opportunity for her to make a clever pun based on your post and misuse of the wrong word.

Thank you. I guess some folks think their own words illogical... ;)

And speaking of logic, doesn't that word bring back fond memories???? ROFL

chagrin
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
I know, lately I have been really uptight, but I get tired of the semantics and bullshit and wish people would just be true.

For example, you with your "I don't blame people for watching their bottom line" routine, while blasting some for making money.

And also, someone who runs from an argument on the back of "I've been here longer than you" and "I won't indulge you until you are here for a little while longer", oh and my favoprite "use ignore" I say you use ignore...it's just crap, you know it, I know it, vegetable lasagne here knows it!

I have real conversations with people and they answer questions, that's what a debate is, exchanging arguments, asking, answering, and having questions answered, not running because you know you are incorrect.

If you're going to be shitty and cuss at me, I don't care, it's a hell of alot better than the two-faced, bullshit vagaries I read here from you and others regularly - So I guess I'm pissed off.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Thank you. I guess some folks think their own words illogical... ;)

And speaking of logic, doesn't that word bring back fond memories???? ROFL

There's nothing logical about a two faced, coward such as yourself.

Please show me where my words are illogical.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 12:17 PM
There's nothing logical about a two faced, coward such as yourself.

Please show me where my words are illogical.

ROFL . No thank you. I CHOOSE not to indulge you.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 12:18 PM
coward - that's why you have no credibility, and never will.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 12:19 PM
What is really funny about this charge that Lennon was not sincere in his being a peace activist is that he was one of the people most vocal about the 'peace movement' being turned into a cliche. He was disconcerted about his celebrity DETRACTING from the message and actually being seen as an obstacle to true humanitarian activism.

Cochise
12-08-2005, 12:21 PM
I am not reading the whole thread so I don't know if this has been discussed, but I heard an interview with Lennon on TV last night where he was just blasting the fans and his former bandmates and such. Said the band broke up because they were sick of being backup musicians for Paul, that he considered his fans stupid and resented them, said they didn't know f-ing anything, etc.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
coward - that's why you have no credibility, and never will.

Actually, the cowardly thing to do would be to care what you think and try to defend myself against someone hurling accusations and insults like you are. It takes courage to turn the other cheek and refuse to engage in throwing insults and petty behavior.

But you are welcome to keep trying...you aren't the first, won't be the last. Sort of cliche...

Brock
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
I am not reading the whole thread so I don't know if this has been discussed, but I heard an interview with Lennon on TV last night where he was just blasting the fans and his former bandmates and such. Said the band broke up because they were sick of being backup musicians for Paul, that he considered his fans stupid and resented them, said they didn't know f-ing anything, etc.

He had a tough time dealing with his own success. But at the time of his death, there was no more fan-friendly guy than Lennon. That's what got him killed, unfortunately.

KCTitus
12-08-2005, 12:23 PM
...that he considered his fans stupid and resented them, said they didn't know f-ing anything, etc.

Now I understand where Carl gets it...he must've been a big Beatles fan.

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 12:24 PM
He had a tough time dealing with his own success. But at the time of his death, there was no more fan-friendly guy than Lennon. That's what got him killed, unfortunately.

was that just on tv?

siberian khatru

I resent performing for you ****ers
Tell me, what do you know?
A lot of f*ggot middle-class kids wearing long hair and trendy clothes
Look, I'm not your ****ing parents,
And I'm sick of uptight hippies coming knocking at me door with a ****ing peace symbol
Get lit, **** that, I don't owe you ****ers anything
And all I got to say is **** YOUUUUUU
The sky is bluuuuue

Paul said he hated Yoko
Tell me, why should Yoko have to take that kind of shit?
Shit from those ****ing sons of bitches?
George said she gave off evil vibes
I should have beat the ****ing shit right out of him,
Him with his ****ing Hare Krishnas

Me auntie, she tore up me ****ing poems
She just threw the bastards out
I can't forgive her, 'cause she didn't treat me like a ****ing genius--

Look, you bastards, I'm a genius, like Shakespeare and Beethoven and Van Gogh! Don't you DARE criticize my work! Don't Worry Kyoko was one of the ****ing BEST rock and roll records ever made! I'm a ****ing ARTIST! I'm sensitive as shit! I throw up before I go onstage! I can make a guitar SPEAK! If I could be a fisherman I would, but I can't, because I'm a ****ING GENIUS! I was the Walrus! PAUL wasn't the Walrus! I was just saying that to be nice, but I was actually the Walrus! Him and that RUBBISH he's been singing! Eastman was an ANIMAL!! A ****ING STUPID MIDDLE-CLASS PIG!! I won't let ****ing animals like that near me!! Yoko is a SUPREME INTELLECTUAL! I'll tell you why nobody likes her music--because she's a woman and she's Oriental, that's why! WHERE ARE YOU, MOTHER?! THEY'RE TRYING TO CRUCIFY ME!!

Genius is pain
GENIUS IS PAIN!!!
AAAAGGGGH!! AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!! YOKO!!! MOTHER!!!
****! ****! AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

(The dream is over)

memyselfI

Any idea the context and date of this statement?

I know when the Beatles broke up the blood was the worst between John and Paul and that the others were trying to avoid taking sides. IIRC, in the early 70s Lennon and McCartney were angry with each other and making negative statements as such.

cdcox
When I was in college at Mizzou, our school radio station had a show called "Feature Album" where we played a current album in its entirety, and another show called "Classic Album" where we'd play an older album that was a classic. We had a DJ named John Clayton who did both shows. The night John Lennon got shot, our Feature Album was "Double Fantasy", and we were in the middle of the album when the news broke. I still have the AP teletype copy at home when it first hit the news wire. Clayton was also on the air playing "Coda" when John Bonham (Led Zep drummer) died, and was playing "Who's Next" when Keith Moon died. We were glad when he graduated, he kept killing off rock stars on his show...

I was also at Mizzou when he was shot. Shooting Star was playing a concert that night. I didn't hear about it until after I got back to the dorm. Found out later the band heard about it just before they came out to play their encore.

Mr. Kotter
12-08-2005, 12:26 PM
I was also at Mizzou when he was shot. Shooting Star was playing a concert that night. I didn't hear about it until after I got back to the dorm. Found out later the band heard about it just before they came out to play their encore.

Another Shooting Star fan.....I really liked those guys. :thumb:

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 12:31 PM

I just remember it being a really unsettled time. The hostages were still in Iran with no end date in sight. It was a rather bleak time to begin with. Lennon being murdered during the holiday season for no reason was kind of the salt being poured on an open wound. Even people who didn't like the guy were just struck about the timing and senseless nature of the crime.

Cochise
12-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Any idea the context and date of this statement?

I know when the Beatles broke up the blood was the worst between John and Paul and that the others were trying to avoid taking sides. IIRC, in the early 70s Lennon and McCartney were angry with each other and making negative statements as such.

It was an interview in rolling stone. I dont know, do your own legwork. I just heard it on some news show yesterday.

Brock
12-08-2005, 12:37 PM
was that just on tv?

:shrug:

Mark M
12-08-2005, 12:38 PM
We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one ****ing bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God! I want it! God! Jesus!

MM
~~:D

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 12:42 PM
We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one ****ing bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God! I want it! God! Jesus!

MM
~~:D

No one said life, or death, is fair... :spock:

Mark M
12-08-2005, 12:47 PM
No one said life, or death, is fair... :spock:

I'm not asking for fairness ...

just lamenting that Chapman was such a good shot.

MM
~~:)

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 12:50 PM
:shrug:

it was an attempt at being wity.
:deevee:

cdcox
12-08-2005, 12:54 PM
It didn't really affect me very much at all, maybe beause you come to expect sudden and tragic events in life. I have vauge memories of MLK being assasinated, rembember watching the Vietnam body counts being tallied on the evening news, remember Watergate unfolding in detail, remember the numerous controversies and tragedy of the '72 Olympics. And we were constantly told that nuclear war could break out at any moment. Growing up in that mileu, another guy getting shot was pretty much part of the expected scenery. I wasn't a huge Lennon fan (Beatles broke up before I became musically aware) so I can't say I was deeply affected.

Logical
12-08-2005, 02:05 PM
I know, lately I have been really uptight, but I get tired of the semantics and bullshit and wish people would just be true.

For example, you with your "I don't blame people for watching their bottom line" routine, while blasting some for making money.

And also, someone who runs from an argument on the back of "I've been here longer than you" and "I won't indulge you until you are here for a little while longer", oh and my favoprite "use ignore" I say you use ignore...it's just crap, you know it, I know it, vegetable lasagne here knows it!

I have real conversations with people and they answer questions, that's what a debate is, exchanging arguments, asking, answering, and having questions answered, not running because you know you are incorrect.

If you're going to be shitty and cuss at me, I don't care, it's a hell of alot better than the two-faced, bullshit vagaries I read here from you and others regularly - So I guess I'm pissed off.

The only thing I can say is when it comes to me, I never intend to be two faced. There is a reason I am known as the BB's arrogant ass and that is because I have no problem of sticking with my views to the point others view me as being an ass (but a kindhearted loveable ass). My views are my views and while I believe in protecting the bottom line and in capitalism I don't believe any company has a right to soak the consumer and if they are going to take illegitimate advantage of a situation they should be regulated. JMO We can take this argument to the DC Forum if you want to explore it further.

Finally, trust me I really could care less if you are civil to me or not. I have had much worse said to me on this BB and it don't mean a thang. I just find it strange to read what you wrote about me on the other BB and finding you posting this way on this BB.

PastorMikH
12-08-2005, 02:36 PM

How can one discuss the music of Lennon without discussing politics? After all, a lot of his songs had to do with politics.

Let's just discuss the music. "OK now, what did you all think of that second eighth note in the 17th measure? I thouht it was a bit much, a rest would have fit a lot better in that stanza." I don't think so.

StcChief
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Miss John Lennon and what he did for music.... won't miss Yoko.

chagrin
12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
The only thing I can say is when it comes to me, I never intend to be two faced. There is a reason I am known as the BB's arrogant ass and that is because I have no problem of sticking with my views to the point others view me as being an ass (but a kindhearted loveable ass). My views are my views and while I believe in protecting the bottom line and in capitalism I don't believe any company has a right to soak the consumer and if they are going to take illegitimate advantage of a situation they should be regulated. JMO We can take this argument to the DC Forum if you want to explore it further.

Finally, trust me I really could care less if you are civil to me or not. I have had much worse said to me on this BB and it don't mean a thang. I just find it strange to read what you wrote about me on the other BB and finding you posting this way on this BB.

Listen Carville,

You still don't get it do you? People like you never will. read carefully:

I don't dislike you because of your views.

I dislike you because you are two faced. You simply cannot support protection of one's bottom line by owning stock in a company he, not only stands against, but writes movies and books about the wrongs that they are doing, etc and also speak out against the same company for watching their bottom line.

That's not political, that's just a two face being a two face.

I love the way you gloss yourself as "the arrogant ass of the BB" you must be the only one who considers yourself that way. To be arrogant, you have to have something to be arrogant about. Simply engaging in two faced opinions on specific topics doesn't count. Who gave you that title?

I mean geesh, in person you might very well be likeable, I don't know and I don't care. Nobody says we have to be civil to each other. I simply engaged you by stating a fact about your answers.

The cussing today, unfortunately for me, is the result of simply lacking patience with anything right now. It's more of a mood swing than anything, and I don't make it a habit.

The only way I am going to continue this (even though I know you want the last word in public here)is via private messaging.

Other than that I am fine to let it go now, I feel like you have done a good job simply talking about the issue at hand, for a change, at least between us. You should practice that more often. Meme could learn a lesson or two from you.
Again, I didn't want to make this a whole thing but it got out of hand, and I'm sorry about that because the thread is about JL's music.

FTR: I thought he was a man who DID something about what he believed. He may have been a shitty father, just because he didn't treat BOTH kids that way doesn't take away his shitty father status, but that's what I am talking about when I say actually do something instead of just talking.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
How can one discuss the music of Lennon without discussing politics? After all, a lot of his songs had to do with politics.

Let's just discuss the music. "OK now, what did you all think of that second eighth note in the 17th measure? I thouht it was a bit much, a rest would have fit a lot better in that stanza." I don't think so.

You can talk about his activism without getting into a debate about whether he was right or wrong.

He was an activist and a humanitarian. I happen to believe he was a good one but NOT the best one amongst the Beatles. I think that would have been George Harrison who advocated not only peace but spirituality. Paul McCartney also became an activist vegetarian. Lennon got alot of play about his activism because he sang about...Harrison lived it.

Donger
12-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Actually I would disagree, I know of a person who chose his career after seeing the Sistene Chapel. He was so awed by it that he was inspired to become an artist. I could name other examples but I think you get the point. It may not be true for you in particular but to assume it is not true for society as a whole is a flawed presumption.

I meant it for me. Unlike some here, I wouldn't presume to speak for others.

Donger
12-08-2005, 05:20 PM
You are indeed rare then.

One of a kind.

In all seriousness, sure, music was played at my wedding. I couldn't tell you what, however. I was there to get hitched, not to listen to music.

Donger
12-08-2005, 05:21 PM
I have told you No a thousand times......:rolleyes:

I was referring to Yoko being a waste of space. Hence, the Asian version of you.

Donger
12-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Should we hold his music in lower esteem because of it? Is so, then we should start doing it for everyone.

Of course, pretty soon there would be no one left to look up to. EVERYBODY has skeletons in their closet.

Not at all. He was a great musician, but he was not the saint that his premature death has lead some people to believe that he was.

In fact, my father responded to my question of what he was like with two words: selfish a$$hole.

PastorMikH
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
You can talk about his activism without getting into a debate about whether he was right or wrong.

Soooo, we can talk about him as an activist as long as it's confined to non-political agendas.

Ahh, OK, Got it.

I'd rather just say that if it hadn't been for Yoko Ono, they could have stayed together playing music a lot longer. Thank you Yoko Ono.

tk13
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Wow, interesting thread.

I hadn't realized his death was 25 years ago this week until the other day. Just last weekend I bought "Working Class Hero", essentially a 2 CD greatest hits collection... it was on sale at Circuit City and I thought what the hey. I guess it was good timing on my part. I'm not really a huge huge Lennon fan, but I like expanding my music collection... and when he was at his best, he was very good. The remastering job on the CD's is outstanding too, I was impressed... it sounds like he walked into the studio and recorded some of those songs last week.

That said, just because one person isn't influenced by music doesn't mean others can't be. I'm not sure how much I'm influenced by music, although I can play a little guitar and would love to be able to play a keyboard, so music has influenced me there. Other than that though, I don't consider music influential, but more like therapy in a way. With good music, you can get inside of it and be moved emotionally one way or another. It's more complimentary than influential. But that's me. I'm not going to question you if you don't like music or if you're more influenced by music than I am, so don't question me or act incredulous when I say a piece of music can be important to me. That really, really ticks me off when people do that. We all have vices, some people choose drugs or alcohol, I choose music, that's life.

ENDelt260
12-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Eh, he would've gone on to make some crap I'm sure.

I don't wonder what musical greats who died young could have accomplished.... I wonder what we'd think of people like Eddie Van Halen if they'd had the good sense to OD long ago.

Logical
12-08-2005, 07:08 PM

Let's just discuss the music. "OK now, what did you all think of that second eighth note in the 17th measure? I thouht it was a bit much, a rest would have fit a lot better in that stanza." I don't think so.Wow I actually disagree with you about something, that almost never occurs. There are a lot of musicians I could, would and have talked about that I would never mention politics, but I know they were activists on one issue or another. Dylan (don't like his music), Hendrix (what a guitarist), anyway I just don't follow the logic.

htismaqe
12-08-2005, 07:20 PM
It's obvious that Donger is a robot.

Logical
12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
It's obvious that Donger is a robot.Not quite as funny the second time, but still not bad.

Duck Dog
12-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Lennon put his political views in the forefront of his life, seems very resonable to talk about both.

listopencil
12-08-2005, 08:13 PM
I killed Lennon because that asshole owed me five bucks. Yoko coughed it up after that. Damn hippies.

Road Hog
12-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Do you post your comments from a computer [that you shouldn't have access to] in a mental hospital?
We all know it's George Bush's fault.

memyselfI
12-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Scarborough has the doctor who operated on him the night he died...

heartbreaking.