PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs/Cowboys Talent Comparison

Rain Man
12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
QB – Green vs. Drew Bledsoe – It’s easy to make fun of the Statue of Drewberty, but the truth is that he’s an effective quarterback if he’s got protection. He’s completed 62 percent of his passes for 2,700 yards, compared to Trent’s 63 percent for 2,900 yards. Slight advantage to Trent. 6/4

HB – Johnson vs. Julius Jones – Jones shares time with Marion Barber. Neither is dominating as a runner. Jones is averaging 3.5 ypc compared to Barber’s 3.8. If unleashed on them, Johnson would rip out their lungs and beat them to death with them. 8/2

FB – Richardson vs. Lousaka Polite – Polite is in the mold of Tony. He very, very seldom carries the ball, and is a leaner, more agile fullback. Tony is a pro bowl veteran and Polite is a rookie. 7/3

WR – Kennison vs. Terry Glenn – Similar types of receivers with similar stats this year. The only difference is that Kennison is male. Glenn is averaging a high 17.5 yards per catch. Call it even. 5/5

WR – Parker vs. Keyshawn Johnson – Johnson is a wily veteran possession receiver with lots of catches and a low average of 10.9 ypr. Advantage to the veteran over the rookie, even if he’s a jerk. 3/7

TE – Gonzalez vs. Jason Witten. Witten is a wide receiver at tight end, but he’s also big at 261 pounds. He’s one of many being anointed as “the next Tony Gonzalez.” Meanwhile, Tony still has more receptions. Even so, Witten is good. 6/4

LT – Roaf vs. Torrin Tucker. Roaf is a god who walks among men, and Tucker is a third-year former undrafted free agent guard who is out of his element and has only started half the season. 10/0

LG – Waters vs. Larry Allen. Allen is another offensive line god with nine pro bowls, and Waters is The Next Larry Allen. The old guard still gets credit, though we all know that Waters is better at this point in time. Just FYI, the Cowboys’ web site offers this tidbit: With a career-best bench press of 700 pounds and a squat lift of 900 pounds, Allen is also considered to be the strongest man to ever play professional football. 5/5

C – Wiegman vs. Al Johnson – Johnson is a recent second-round pick who blew out a knee his rookie year and is now in his second full year as a starter. Solid, but not Wiegman. 7/3

RG – Shields vs. Marco Rivera – Two strong veterans. Rivera has been in the last two pro bowls with Green Bay, and is in his first year with Dallas. Call it even. 5/5

RT – Welbourn vs. Rob Petitti. Petitti is an enormous 347-lb. rookie. He was a sixth-round pick who has been pushed into action early and is having learning pains. Welbourn wins this one. 7/3

Since our opponents are a bunch of cowboys this week, our weekly talent comparison art features American artist Albert Bierstadt's 1867 painting, "Emigrants Crossing the Plains."

http://crh.choate.edu/english/salot/Emigrants%20Crossing%20the%20Plai.jpg

K – Tynes vs. Billy Cundiff – Cundiff is coming back after a long injury and contract oddity, so he doesn’t have enough stats to judge yet. Tynes is having a legitimate pro bowl season, leading all AFC kickers in points, field goals, and is 3rd in FG percentage. 7/3

P – Colquitt vs. Mat McBriar – McBriar is ahead of Colquitt by about three yards in gross and net, but of course lacks Colquitt’s twisty punts. Even so, yards is the bottom line. 4/6

KR/PR – Hall vs. Tyson Thompson (KR)/Patrick Crayton (PR). Statswise, the production of these two units is similar. Give Hall a point for his proven threatedness. 6/4

FS – Wesley vs. Keith Davis – Davis is a four-year veteran in his first year as a starter. He has 50 tackles and no turnovers, compared to Wesley’s 69 tackles and 7 turnovers. Wesley wins. 7/3

SS – Knight vs. Roy Williams – We all know about Williams’ rep. He’s a horse-collaring LB playing safety. Interestingly, his stats are nearly identical to Knight’s this year, and Knight historically produces more turnovers. (Williams with 20 in the past 3+ seasons and Knight with 21). Give Williams a couple of points for reputation, but they’re identical in production. 3/7

LCB – Surtain vs. Terence Newman. Similar stats this year, but Newman historically produces more tackles. Newman was a pro bowl alternate as a rookie, but Surtain’s a multiple pro bowler. Slight advantage for Surtain. 6/4

RCB – Warfield vs. Anthony Henry. Henry, a longtime Brown, is having a decent year (statistically) in his first season at Dallas, but is questionable with a groin injury. Warfield has matched Henry’s tackle total in half the number of games. Warfield wins easily while Henry is hurt. 7/3

LLB – Johnson vs. Demarcus Ware – The rookie we wanted vs. the rookie we were leery of. How are they doing? Johnson – 73 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles. Ware – 42 tackles, 4 sacks. Ware is doing fine, but we made the right decision. 7/3

RLB – Bell vs. Scott Fujita – The veteran we wanted vs. the veteran we discarded. How are they doing? Bell – 28 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble. Fujita – 31 tackles, 1 sacks, 1 forced fumble. Looks like we got a 50 percent upgrade in pass rush. Call it even. 5/5

MLB – Mitchell vs. RILB Bradie James. 4th round pick in his third year, James is in his first year starting. Similar stats to Mitchell, slightly smaller. Call it even. 5/5

LDE – Hicks vs. Marcus Spears – Spears has been getting a lot of hype, and he’s huge, but he’s produced only 22 tackles this year and half a sack. I’m not sure of the hype Hicks has 38 tackles and 2.5 sacks. Call it even unless someone has information to the contrary, and that may be the case. 5/5

RDE – Allen vs. Greg Ellis. Ellis is a former high first-round pick who’s good for 7 to 9 sacks per year. He’s having a good year this year, with 8 sacks already, but only 22 tackles, compared to Allen’s 8 sacks and 39 tackles. However, Ellis gets an advantage doing it out of a 3-4. 4/6

LDT – Browning (Sims?) vs. LILB Scott Shanle. Shanle is the LILB in the Cowboys’ 3-4. He took over a couple of weeks ago due to injury. Average backup ILB. Browning is an average backup DT who may give up the starting spot to Sims this week. Shanle looks like their version of Boomer Grigsby, but is an off the street free agent. Call it even. 5/5

RDT – Dalton vs. NT LaRoi Glover. It surprises me that Glover is a nose tackle, because he only runs about 290. He’s got better stats than Dalton, produces half a dozen sacks per year, and went to the Pro Bowl last year. Advantage Dallas. 2/8

Totals

Offense: Chiefs 69, Cowboys 41
Special Teams: Chiefs 17, Cowboys 13
Defense: Chiefs 56, Cowboys 54 (Okay, okay, something's not right. The Cowboys are ranked high in the league. Tell me where to make the changes.)

Rain Man
12-08-2005, 04:24 PM
In a side note, many of the players look really sad in their photos on the Dallas Cowboys' official site.

JBucc
12-08-2005, 04:25 PM
I'm suprised how much Jones has fallen off, he looked like the real deal last year.

grandllamajr
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
dallas aint got a chance with the llamas backin them up dallas has got some talent but not enough were on fire right now after beating denver

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
RDE – Allen vs. Greg Ellis. Ellis is a former high first-round pick who’s good for 7 to 9 sacks per year. He’s having a good year this year, with 8 sacks already, but only 22 tackles, compared to Allen’s 8 sacks and 39 tackles. However, Ellis gets an advantage doing it out of a 3-4. 4/6

explain to dumby how the 3-4 is that much of an advantage.

HolmeZz
12-08-2005, 04:33 PM
- Mitchell is better than Bradie James
- Anthony Henry is better than Eric Warfield
- Shields is better than Rivera(who's struggled this year, moreso than Will)

I'd agree with the rest.

Deberg_1990
12-08-2005, 04:37 PM
a few weeks ago i would have called this an automatic win for Dallas. Talent wise we are probably about even everywhere except the O-Line and running back positions.

Dallas looks like a team Descending

The Chiefs look like a team Ascending

Chiefs win 28-14

vailpass
12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Parcells factor, especially at home.

Justin
12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
RG – Shields vs. Marco Rivera – Two strong veterans. Rivera has been in the last two pro bowls with Green Bay, and is in his first year with Dallas. Call it even. 5/5
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I would have to give shields the advantage on this 6/4

chiefsfaninNC
12-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Nice comparison. -1 point for ranking the chiefs D over the Dallas D. -1 point for the use of "threatedness". 8 out of a possible 10

Rain Man
12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Nice comparison. -1 point for ranking the chiefs D over the Dallas D. -1 point for the use of "threatedness". 8 out of a possible 10

You don't like threatedness? I think it fills an obvious gap in the English language.

Rain Man
12-08-2005, 04:57 PM

My thinking is that you would probably expect the linebackers to get more sacks in a 3-4, so you wouldn't expect as many from the line. I have nothing to back that up, though, except the visions I get during full moons.

Mecca
12-08-2005, 05:00 PM

It's harder to get sacks as a 3-4 lineman than it is as a 4-3 lineman. Being a 3-4 lineman you're likely to deal with 2 offensive lineman every play. The 3-4 is designed for the LB's to make the plays now the Dline. So that's why it's more impressive for Ellis to have those stats in a 3-4.

StcChief
12-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Very good. the 3-4 vs. 4-3 really will vary numbers.
Comparing positions.

Maybe add a weighting factor for the D style. ???

Rain Man
12-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Has anyone seen Spears play? His stats don't look good at all, but I've heard good things about him. I don't know if that's real, though, or just media love for all things Cowboy.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
mutilate the Cowcunts!

jspchief
12-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Dallas has faced some great RBs, and held them under 100 yards. Their run D is the real deal, although the loss of Nguyen probably hurts. They almost run as much 4-3 as they do 3-4, and that's probably how they'll cover the loss of Nguyen.

IMO, this is a game that Gonzo could go off in. The middle of the Cowboys secondary just isn't very good in coverage.

The CBs are solid. Newmann is a playmaker, and whether it's Glenn or Henry at the #2 spot, it makes up one of the better CB tandems in the league.

Amnorix
12-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Has anyone seen Spears play? His stats don't look good at all, but I've heard good things about him. I don't know if that's real, though, or just media love for all things Cowboy.

Bill Belichick gave an extended dissertation today on techniques and expectations regarding 3-4 Defensive Line play.

One specific quote he had was that defensive linemen in a 4-3 will generally have better stats, both tackles and sacks, than linemen in a 3-4.

the Talking Can
12-08-2005, 08:24 PM
"The only difference is that Kennison is male."

Parcells sends you rep for that.

the Talking Can
12-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Johnson/Ware is probably 6/4...if not 5/5...Ware has been good even if he doesn't have quite as flashy stats..

you're right though...the Dallas D is better than the # you gave them..maybe it is something unquantifiable like scheme or coaching...

kcfanXIII
12-08-2005, 09:21 PM
You don't like threatedness? I think it fills an obvious gap in the English language.
whats the threatedness level for today? nice post, lets go chiefs!!!

Skip Towne
12-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Dallas has faced some great RBs, and held them under 100 yards. Their run D is the real deal, although the loss of Nguyen probably hurts. They almost run as much 4-3 as they do 3-4, and that's probably how they'll cover the loss of Nguyen.

IMO, this is a game that Gonzo could go off in. The middle of the Cowboys secondary just isn't very good in coverage.

The CBs are solid. Newmann is a playmaker, and whether it's Glenn or Henry at the #2 spot, it makes up one of the better CB tandems in the league.
Where is Nguyen?

jspchief
12-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Where is Nguyen?Injured a few weeks ago, out for the year. Don't remember what he injured.

Skip Towne
12-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Injured a few weeks ago, out for the year. Don't remember what he injured.
That dude was amazing. Has any other oriental ever made it in the NFL.? I don't remember any but then not many of them are big enough to even play football.

Archie F. Swin
12-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I see this thread is getting a few nibbles from CowboysZone.com (http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42989)

Count Alex's Losses
12-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Ellis is a LE and should have been compared to Hicks.

Good comparison. The reason the Cowboys defense is better than ours is because they've played together longer.

Spicy McHaggis
12-08-2005, 11:53 PM

He was great at LSU but I haven't really seen him do much at the pro level. I've been more impressed with his fellow rookie and DE Chris Canty.

Saul Good
12-09-2005, 12:37 AM
That dude was amazing. Has any other oriental ever made it in the NFL.? I don't remember any but then not many of them are big enough to even play football.

Not that I really care, but you shouldn't call Asians "Orientals" unless you're Bill Parcells. Rugs are Oriental. People are Asians. You rack disciprine when discussing race. I meet you in pocking rot if you no rearn disciprine.

Count Alex's Losses
12-09-2005, 12:46 AM
You rack disciprine when discussing race. I meet you in pocking rot if you no rearn disciprine.

ROFL ROFL ROFL :LOL:

Saul Good
12-09-2005, 12:49 AM
I see this thread is getting a few nibbles from CowboysZone.com (http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42989)

Yeah. Their arguments are as follows:
1. A healthy Warfield is not better than a banged-up Henry
2. Giving Williams a 7/3 edge over Knight isn't enough.
3. Surtain is no better than Newman
4. Kennison can't hold Glenn's jock

Warfield is easily better than Henry given the injury. He's listed as questionable.

Williams is a stud, but Knight's no slouch and makes a lot of plays. 7/3 is a fair assessment.

Newman may be Surtain's equal, but 6/4 or 5/5 is about right.

Kennison and Glenn are the same player. Their ages and stats are almost identical. I find that a good way to get an unbiased opinion on who is the better offensive player is to go on ESPN and check out the %owned and avg draft position in their fantasy leagues. Kennison actually has a higher standing in this regard. 5/5 is fair.

The loss of Dat Nguyen is huge. He was/is a playmaker. I still maintain that losing Maz in 2003 really hurt our D the second half of the season. MLBs call the signals on D. It's an intangible loss in that regard.

Count Alex's Losses
12-09-2005, 01:06 AM
I wanted us to bring in Terry Glenn when he was a free agent. He would have fit this system so perfectly.

Parker has a similar skillset, so I'm hoping he turns into that kind of WR.

tk13
12-09-2005, 01:23 AM
I still maintain that losing Maz in 2003 really hurt our D the second half of the season. MLBs call the signals on D. It's an intangible loss in that regard.

You are welcome here, my friend, great post.

:)

I don't know, as much as I like Roy Williams, I have a hard time only giving Knight a 3 there. He's nowhere near the athletic talent of Williams, but Knight is such an intelligent player... I don't know.

Amnorix
12-09-2005, 06:56 AM
Shouldn't there be some kind of adjustment for the key turnover that Bledsoe will make in the last 5 minutes of the game that will cost the Cowboys the game?

Amnorix
12-09-2005, 07:00 AM
I wanted us to bring in Terry Glenn when he was a free agent. He would have fit this system so perfectly.

Parker has a similar skillset, so I'm hoping he turns into that kind of WR.

You need the right kind of coach to get him to exert himself. DV ain't that kind of coach.

Count Alex's Losses
12-09-2005, 07:15 AM
I guess.

What are your thoughts on KC/DAL, 'Norix?

huskerdooz
12-09-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm suprised how much Jones has fallen off, he looked like the real deal last year.

Been hurt (hamstring I believe) for several weeks and is just now getting healthy.

My bad, it's actually a high ankle sprain.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Shouldn't there be some kind of adjustment for the key turnover that Bledsoe will make in the last 5 minutes of the game that will cost the Cowboys the game?
Bledsoe won't have the ball in the last 5 minutes. LJ will.

Amnorix
12-09-2005, 09:04 AM
I guess.

What are your thoughts on KC/DAL, 'Norix?

I took KC getting 3 in my wife's weekly pool, if that helps. :-) I'm in third place, looking to win a few hunnerd if I can finish 3rd or better, so it's not just something I blow off.

Let me put it this way:

Chiefs OLine + Aggressive D + Bledsoe = Chiefs Win

But, FWIW, I haven't seen the 'boys much this year, so I can only go off what I know of some of their players, their coach, and what I've read.

Amnorix
12-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Note also:

1. Dallas is 1-2 against the AFC already. They squeaked by SD early in the year when they were stinking up the joint, and lost to the Raiders and Broncos (at Oakland, Broncos at home).

2. Dallas is 24th at stopping the run, at 4.2 yards per carry.

3. They are, however, superb at stopping the pass, with the 2nd best completion percentage against.

But, ultimately, I'm not sure how they're going to stop your running game.

Rain Man
12-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Let me put it this way:

Chiefs OLine + Aggressive D + Bledsoe = Chiefs Win

I think the key to this game will be how Dallas' offensive tackles hold up. Their loss of Flozell Adams at left tackle, combined with having to play a low-round rookie at right tackle, is strangely reminiscent of the Chiefs' early season challenges. Combine that with Bledsoe, whose greatest weakness appears to be feeling a pass rush, and it spells trouble for Dallas.

Their challenge will be not getting behind. They'll need to run, run, run, get a lead, and then run, run, run. With KC's offense and the fact that we've gotten stronger recently with Roaf and Welbourn coming back, that 'getting a lead' part will be tough.

B_Ambuehl
12-09-2005, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with their comments. Warfield is too unpredictable to say that he's better then either Henry or Glenn. I sure as hell know he's not more consistent then Aaron Glenn.

Additionally, You can't compare DeMarcusWare and Derrick Johnson stat for stat. Ware plays more of a defensive end role and rushes the quarterback as a defensive end the large majority of the time. Inherently he won't have as many tackles as an outside lLB in a 4-3.

Jason Ferguson was also left off the list. He, along with LaRoi Glover, provide a tough interior regardless of which one is playing. I personally think with their injuries at LB Dallas is better off in a 4-3.

Glover, Ferguson, Ware and Ellis are the strenght of that defensive front 7.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Defense: Chiefs 56, Cowboys 54 (Okay, okay, something's not right. The Cowboys are ranked high in the league. Tell me where to make the changes.)
Bell,Mitchell,Hicks

Bell is a ghost

Mitchell IS improved ... but he still gets smoked on a pretty regular basis.

Hicks had his best game last week that i can remember in years ... he's just not a threat.

also didn't rate coaching

Parcells > vermeil