PDA

View Full Version : What A Night Bowling!

PastorMikH
12-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Background... OK, I joined up a league last week. The owners of the bowling alley had a guy drop off of their team and had an opening. They saw me throwing some 180s - 200s one day and asked me if I wanted to join thier team. I figure that since the own the alley, they should be pretty good so I give it a shot.

Tonight. I show up for my second week of bowling and it is FREEZING COLD in there. This morning it was 2 degrees - no, I did not forget a digit there, 2; TWO; Dos; 3-X=1; two degrees above zero. Tonight currently it is 17 degrees. Get this, the bowling alley owners can't afford to turn the gas on to heat the place! People are bowling in COATS tonight! They have 2-3 little propane heaters going and that's it. It's so cold that the machines aren't working right either - the grease gets cold and makes the machines stick (They had two lanes tonight that the motors fried on trying to run the machines in the cold). Guess what, one of them was a lane we were bowling on.

Two of the guys on my team (that's half the team since the 5th guy - another one of the guys running the alley - had a car wreck and wasn't able to bowl ((I guess he couldn't work either because he just stood around talking to people while machines were messing up left and right)) anyhow, 2 of the guys are having to run back and forth and decide that we, the team, should forfiet since one lane already had broken down and they are all working on machines. That leaves 2, when the guys talk to him, he calls his ride. I dropped $12 in the envelope to bowl, not forfeit. BTW, I didn't mention that all of this happened about the time the first game was HALF OVER!?!?!? Our team figures that since we are already in last place, why bother - I'm thinking that this kind of attitude is why we are in last place. So we forfeit but the other team wants to bowl, I want to bowl, so we bowl to get our games in.

But wait, it gets better! One of the guys on the team we are bowling against just happens to be the guy in chage of the league. After getting NUMEROUS complaints from other team captains (I think all but ours complained actually) he goes and talks to the owners. Come to find out, they owners are in default on their loan and next Tues will be their last night of running the alley. So, I'm not sure next week just how many people show up to be on my team - or if we'll even be bowling next week at all.

This is good for a laugh here (Though some of you may already be laughing at my night) I was talking to the guy in charge of the league about whether I'd have a team next week or not, and a guy from another team pipes up and says that they have an opening on their team and need a permenant bowler. I ask him what team he bowls for - he says, "Budwieser". I asked him what he thought of a Pastor bowling on their team since it's sponsored by Budwieser and he tells me at this point they need all the help they can get. Then I tell him that my congregation might frown on me bowling for a team with that name. They are desperate enough that he offered to change the name.:)

What a night, what a night!

ChiTown
12-08-2005, 09:32 PM
If I had a dime for everytime I've said that.....................

Extra Point
12-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Just think. You could have blown $12 on a Chiefs game ticket---20 years ago.........

morphius
12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
I expected to cuss at you for bowling a 300 or the like.

PastorMikH
12-08-2005, 09:50 PM
I expected to cuss at you for bowling a 300 or the like.

Now why would I want to go and ruin my average with a game like that when we've already forfeited???

morphius
12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Now why would I want to go and ruin my average with a game like that when we've already forfeited???
To make the others feel guilty for letting you down?

PastorMikH
12-08-2005, 09:57 PM
To make the others feel guilty for letting you down?

Actually, I'm wondering if I'm going to have to build a team because I got stuck with a team with a bunch of players that dropped out.