PDA

View Full Version : How do the Chiefs matchup against the other playoff contenders?

cmh6476
12-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I like to frequent other boards, as some of you have probably noticed. Not sure if that has more to do with my love of football, or just an interest in finding out more about the teams we play.

But what I have learned from going from site to site, is that a lot of these other teams fans feel very good and very confident about their teams chances. And most of them should be, I think we have 8 legitimate contenders in the AFC, and outside of Indy I think most are fairly comperable.

That kind of got me thinkin about how we matched up against all the other contenders, and I thought I'd try and break it down. I'm going to break these down as to how I think we'd do playing each of these teams 10 times at home, and 10 times on the road, eventually getting to all of our competition (Indy, Den, Cin, NE, Jax, SD, and Pit).

1. Indianapolis

Definitely the team to beat in the conference, and I think they scare everyone. I don't necessarily think it's an unattainable task, bu the Chiefs would have to put forth their best effort to take out the best team in the league.

Watching them tear us to shreds at Arrowhead two years ago in the playoffs made me realize how tough they are even in unfriendly territory. Doesn't look like that even matters now as anyone who plans on heading to Detroit is probably going to have to get there through Indy.

Indy's offense is just explosive, and our guys would have to be on their game to slow them down, if we could even do it. Indy's line is solid, and their receiving weapons open up the running game. And Manning can read defenses with the best of them, and keeps defenses guessing.

On offense, Willie Roaf and Wellbourne would have to step it up and not let freeney get to Trent. Linemen have to be on their game, protecting Trent and opening holes for LJ. Receivers have to get open and hang onto the ball.

I'd say if we played Indy 10 times at Indy, we'd maybe win 2 of those game. At Arrowhead I'd say maybe a 5-5 split, but that might even be just a tad generous...

JBucc
12-08-2005, 10:03 PM
We can beat anyone if we play our best and are all healthy. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to happen very often when we play good teams.

tk13
12-08-2005, 10:04 PM
We can beat the Colts. They would not stop Larry Johnson. He would break a lot of tackles and have a huge game. Plus they usually let Gonzo run free through their zone. A recipe for lots of points. The key is knocking Manning down and getting him out of rhythm like last year.

kcfanXIII
12-08-2005, 10:09 PM
can anyone slow lj down, should be the name of this thread. i don't know who will be able too. what did larry do against san diego last time we played?

cmh6476
12-08-2005, 10:10 PM
We can beat anyone if we play our best and are all healthy. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to happen very often when we play good teams.

which is why I'm doin mine by how we'd likely do if we played them 10 games. because we can beat and we can lose to any team!

2. Denver

The Chiefs have played the Broncos twice. Once with a shell of the team they played them with the second time around. Yet, we still didn't do to them what we are capable of IMO.

We have a run defense good enough to stop them, but they haven't quite done it yet. And I think we have proven that if you put pressure on Plummer, he will make some mistakes. We didn't put any pressure on him in the first game, but in the second we did and he turned the ball over.

Denver still has a very good line that can create gaps and protect Plummer. I think it's also pretty clear they are more comfortable and better at doing that in Invesco.

As for our Offense, we can score on them. We can run on them and we can pass on them. The key is protecting Trent and creating space for LJ to burst through.

10 times at Arrowhead, and I think we take 6 if not 7.
And I'm comfortable saying we could beat them 4 out of 10 times at Invesco

Taco John
12-08-2005, 10:12 PM
I think you guys would match up well against their defense, but would get owned when they are on offense. LJ would slice through their defense, I would think. He's very talented. I think you guys are weak at tight end right now though. Tony Gonzalez seems to be going the way of Ben Coates.

cdcox
12-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Over the last 15 years the Chiefs have been much stronger at home than on the road. Since in all likelihood we would play all of our playoff games on the road, I don't feel too good about any of our matchups.

cmh6476
12-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Over the last 15 years the Chiefs have been much stronger at home than on the road. Since in all likelihood we would play all of our playoff games on the road, I don't feel too good about any of our matchups.

1 game behind Denver and SD and/ or Oak could beat them :thumb:

kcfanXIII
12-08-2005, 10:16 PM
tonygonzalez has spent a whole bunch of time blocking this season, thats why his numbers are down. he dosent seem to be able to jump up and grab balls as easily anymore.

Douche Baggins
12-08-2005, 10:23 PM
I think you guys are weak at tight end right now though. Tony Gonzalez seems to be going the way of Ben Coates.

ROFL

That's why Tony G is second in NFL tight ends in receptions.

tk13
12-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I think you guys would match up well against their defense, but would get owned when they are on offense. LJ would slice through their defense, I would think. He's very talented. I think you guys are weak at tight end right now though. Tony Gonzalez seems to be going the way of Ben Coates.
:spock:

Douche Baggins
12-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Gonzo had a whopping 8 more catches at this time last year. Yeah, he's declining BIG TIME. :rolleyes:

SNR
12-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Gonzo had a whopping 8 more catches at this time last year. Yeah, he's declining BIG TIME. :rolleyes:[OrangeDrain drivel]Just like a Chefs fan... you can always defend one of your chefs players with a stat or two. Stats don't make teams good- players do. Our players don't need us to defend them with stats. Yours do.[/OrangeDrain drivel]

Douche Baggins
12-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Is Ashley Lelie going the way of Jerry Rice?

That was a quick rise and fall.

cmh6476
12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Don't let a guy that thinks Jeb Putzier is a great TE hijack the thread :D

Last one then I'm off for bed. Maybe I'll finish the other 4 tomorrow:

3. Cincinnati

Cincy's weakness seems to be against the run, which really plays into our strengths. I think they're another team we would have no problem scoring on. Again it's all on the shoulders of the line.

As for slowing down their offense, that might be a different story. Chad Johnson and Housh have to be respected, which setups their pound the ball running attack. I don't think we would have much trouble stopping their running game, but the fact that we have to respect their big play potential, they will probably be able to move the ball and score.

The key here is to pound the ball, control the clock and not let this turn into a shootout. Not sure how the "who-dey" and home field would factor into this, but it would definitely be to our benefit to play them at home.

Playing them in Cincy, I'm gonna leave a pretty wide margin because I'm not sure how their home field would factor into the equation. I'd probably say somewhere between 2-4 wins out of 10.

Plying them at home I'm a little more confident, and think we could beat them 6 out of 10 games.

-----------

I'll go ahead and do one more because this one I'm not sure about

4. Jacksonville

I don't know what the chances of us actually playing them would be. I think they'll likely end up at new England, and even if they do win would probably be heading into indy the following week.

And I really haven't watched these guys all year, nor do I know much about their team. I know Leftwich is hurt, which might set them back a tad.

I'm also not sure if they actually are a solid team, or just the benefactor of a weak schedule. I really don't know enough about them to take a stab as to what the outcome would be if we played them 10 times at each place...

Psyko Tek
12-08-2005, 10:43 PM
he's just trying to see if Tony G will play better angry
it's worked with LJ

cmh6476
12-08-2005, 10:45 PM
also taco's just scared cause he knows the broncos don't matchup as well with most of these teams as the Chiefs do!

Plus, it frightens him that we can actually talk football here, as oppossed to the mange PBJ PBJ PBJ

Douche Baggins
12-08-2005, 10:45 PM
I think we match up pretty well against everyone, just because of our offensive line/running game and ability to stop the run.

People can sit there and say Indy and Cincy are the two best teams in the AFC, but if you can't stop the run, you've got a problem.

SNR
12-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Whenever Taco doubts the Chiefs, we need to support him, not try to make him shut up.

What's the overall Taco prediction record again? Not good at all is the answer to that question.

JohnnyV13
12-09-2005, 03:52 AM
The Colts D will had a terrible time matching up against the Chiefs, and you can see this from the two times we've played them the last two years. Yeah the Colts are much better on D, but they have played a lot of weak offenses. Look at what Cincy and St. Louis did to the Colts D (37 and 28 points).

Now, getting into specifics:

Roaf vs. Dwight Freeney:

Fact is, Roaf OWNED Freeney in the last two games they played. But, in Indy, the crowd noise and artificial turf really help Freeney b/c he's a speed rusher. This right here is the key matchup. If Roaf can take Freeney 1 vs. 1 and make him disappear, the Chiefs will move very well. Because then, the Chiefs could help Welborne with Robert Mathis by using a 2 TE set or sending T Rich to help. Remember Mathis is a VERY small DE, hardly any bigger than T Rich. If Roaf needs help, it will hinder our entire offense, because then BOTH tackles will need help.

John Welborne vs. Robert Mathis:

Mathis is too fast for Welborne to handle alone. Welborne is going to need outside help in pass protection. That means playing Dunn in a 2 TE set or T Rich. The key here is to run early to the outside both right and left. Let Roaf and Welborne beat up on Freeney and Mathis. But, to do that, the Chiefs have to keep the game close early. They can't let themselves get into catchup mode. See, the problem is Mathis and Freeney are only on the field together on passing downs. That means the Chiefs will need to be able to run on 2-10 or 3-6 to let our big guys execute this strategy. On run downs, Rahim Brock plays DE.

Tony G vs. Mike Doss, Bob Sanders, David Thornton and Cato June:

This is a HUGE mismatch in favor of KC. Both Doss and Sanders are good players who have been flying around the field in Indy's 2 deep zone. But, they're in trouble vs. Tony G. Both of them go around 5'9. Neither of them can really come close to covering Tony G. Indy will need to use linebackers with Doss or Sanders over the top. That means Cato June (who is having a terrific year) or David Thorton. June has 5 ints and might be able to give Tony G. some trouble. I would look for KC to use 2 TE sets with Tony G on the left side to force Indy to use Thorton on him if June gives the Chiefs difficulty. This is an important matchup because if Indy can check Tony G with their linebackers, that leaves Doss and Sanders in their familiar 2 deep scheme. If the linebackers need over the top help, that compromises Indy's corners. Indy might try the 3 deep zone that Dungy liked to use in Tampa, where he dropped a fast MLB into the deep center. But that tactic plays right into the hands of the KC screen pass by putting a linebacker deep.

Colts Offense vs. Chiefs D:

Actually, we match up better than many might expect. We have Pat Surtain who had numerous battles with Marvin Harrison when he was in Miami. Reggie Wayne is a bigger, physical reciever vs. Warfield a big, physical corner. Brandon Stokely is a quick and fast slot reciever. While DeWayne Washinton has been playing well, perhaps Benny Sapp is the better matchup here.

Forget about early in the season, this is a much better D than many believe. Not only were we missing warfield and putting together a lot of new players, Gun was playing more zone. Part of that was because we had McNugget at corner who is terrible man up. But, I also think Gun was playing zone to force his guys to stay in the dicipline of the D. One of our problems is guys were trying to do too much because we've been bad for so long. Thats why we'd get guys out of position and give up big plays.

To me the key D matchup is

G Jake Scott vs. Ryan Sims:

Scott is a 2nd year player, relatively small for an NFL guard (listed at 288). We need Sims to plow this guy into Peyton Manning's lap. Its that simple. Get inside push, we can put a crimp into the Colts. When Jacksonville held indy to 10 points, it was because Marcus Stroud and John Henderson abused the Colts young, and relatively small guards (Scott and Lilja). I don't expect Dalton to do that to Lilja, but Sims is the guy that can get it done for us.

Derrick Johnson vs. Dallas Clark:

To hope to slow down the colts passing game the Chiefs are going to need Knight and Wesley back in coverage to help out. IF the Chiefs do that, Dallas Clark could be a weapon. The Chiefs need Derrick Johnson to shut him down in single coverage.

cmh6476
12-09-2005, 07:32 AM
5. New England

The Patriots are not the same team they have been the last few years. With that said, I still think they can win, and they know what it takes to win in January.

We can take out their running game, and if we put pressure on Brady we can beat the Pats. And this is another team our offense will be able to score on, even if they were completely healthy.

10 games at the Razor, and I think we can take 5 if not 6.
10 games at Arrowhead and I like our chances in 7 if not 8 of those.

6. San Diego

San Diego has won what, 5 in a row? They are playing damn good right now. LT is a monster and makes teams respect the run, which opens up the passing game. I think we can limit LT, and if we put some pressure on Brees we can take the Chargers. This is another team we shouldn't have trouble scoring on. This seems to be a re-occurring theme here.

10 games at Qualcomm and I like our chances in 4 or 5.
10 games at Arrowhead and I like our chances in 6 or 7.

7. Pittsburgh

I think we have the better team here. Pitt just hasn't looked that impressive of late. They can still pound the rock, and they have a decent aerial assault. Their strength is still their defense, but I don't think any defense in the league can slow us down with the way we've been playing.

10 games in Pittsburgh, I say we take 4.
10 games at Arrowhead, I say we take 6 or 7.

Chris Meck
12-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I think of ANY team in the league, we match up best with Indy, and for THIS reason:

Willie Roaf. Freeney is a small end, speed rusher guy. Roaf has owned him in the past. You can run right at him with Roaf and Waters, T-Rich and LJ. I don't think there's a damned thing they could do about it. Keep the ball away from Peyton and just ram it down their damned throats.

I cannot impress upon anyone just how amazing a football player that Willie Roaf is. He handles everyone's best pass rusher week in and week out and you don't even notice him until he's gone. Dude can't walk, but he sure can run!

He makes our offense go. He needs no help, EVER. When he pulls out on the perimeter, he usually takes two guys out of the play. He's a sure-fire-no-doubt-first-ballot-hall-of-famer.

Run behind Roaf right at Freeney, do it all day, and we could beat The Colts.

Chromatic
12-09-2005, 10:57 AM
No offense, but I think we're looking a little too far into the future.

jspchief
12-09-2005, 11:13 AM
If our offense continues to play at a high level, I believe we can beat anyone.

For 3 years we said that a middle of the pack D with our O would make us a contender. Our D is now playing like a middle of the pack D. If our O holds up to their end of the bargain, this is a good team.

Continued success from the O, and even a slight improvement at D will make us a formidable team.

Jmart
12-09-2005, 11:21 AM
A Super Bowl (any year) would be sweeter if we got revenge on Indy and knocked them out in the process.

jspchief
12-09-2005, 11:24 AM
A Super Bowl (any year) would be sweeter if we got revenge on Indy and knocked them out in the process.To go through Indy and Denver this year would make my life complete.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 11:44 AM
Hardest matchups: Indy, Cin, SD - balance and good passing threat ... good quarterbacks

indy- great balanced offense ... we'll struggle. decent defense

cincy - great balance offense ... we'll struggle. decent defense

SD - multiple threat offense ... covering the tightend is a weakness for our defense. good defense.

about even: Den

Den

good balance, but QB makes it a toss up. Home field advantage and turnovers make a huge difference.

We beat: NE,Jax,Pit - lack of balance or weakness on offense make these a good match for us.

NE - injuries have weaken them all across the board.

Jax - great defense - average offense ... if we match their energy, we win.

pit - if we match their physical nature, we win.

cmh6476
12-09-2005, 11:51 AM
No offense, but I think we're looking a little too far into the future.

We might make the playoffs, we might not. I see no harm in looking at how we match up against the teams in the same predicament.

Chromatic
12-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Fair enough.

phxchief
12-10-2005, 12:43 PM
I think you guys would match up well against their defense, but would get owned when they are on offense.

Interesting.

It's not so bad, though - our offense would drop more on them than you could, and they'd slice your defense apart even worse.