PDA

View Full Version : Going to my first Chiefs Game

Archie F. Swin
12-09-2005, 10:41 AM
I was already in high school by the time I took an interest in professional football, and since I was living in southwest Oklahoma, it would have been very convenient to be a Dallas Cowboys fan. Like any high school student though I had a rebellious streak. I had many friends who worshiped at the altar of Tom Landry, it was only natural. The rebel in me found it hard to conform. It was the same thing with the Sooners too...the stench was all around me. I had to take a stand.

I made the choice to support the team I would have naturally supported had my family not moved from my homestate of Kansas. I chose the Kansas city Chiefs. When, I look back (this is the late 80s mind you) I dont see how I was able to remain a loyal fan. I really had no way to stay in touch with the buzz of the team. There was no media coverage, unless something big happened, and of course there were box scores in the paper, but no inside scoop. It was all Cowboys all the time. My hope every week was that NBC, the AFC network at the time, would carry the Chiefs game. It was far from probable, because the Oilers were the prefered team by our local NBC affiliate which was actually based out of Texas. So, I would wait all week for the weekend paper to come and see the TV listings hoping I could see the Chiefs that now play in my earliest memories: DeBerg, Paige, Okoye, Lowery, Ross, Derrick Thomas, Deron Cherry and Dan Saleaumua....oh and that faded astroturf of Arrowhead.

So its been roughly 17 years of fanhood. Lots of ups. Lots of downs, lots of pride, lots of Red n' Gold in the land of...err... a dullish silver and ...umm....navy? Obviously things turned around for me just over 5 years ago when I discovered www.chiefsplanet.com then earlier this year when got DSL and opened the door to KCFX's game coverage and 810's daily offerings. I of course also learned that there are many, many displaced Chiefs fans and that maybe Arrowhead maybe isn't a world away(but just a Planet away?). But the biggest void was having never seen a game. Sure I saw the Chiefs play the newly uniformed Bucs when they played an exhibition in Norman a few years back, but that had little meaning.

Well the time has come. I'm going to see my Chiefs play. The team I see on TV maybe 4-5 times a season will be just a few yards away. I'm going to see DV and Gun pace the sidelines. I'm going to see Green to Gonzo for a first down. I'm going to see TRich make the critical block to spring Larry for 15 yards. I'm going to see Tynes attempt a game winner(?), and I'm going to see Dante make everyone in Texas Stadium hold thier breath. And I know, if he takes one all the way...he's doing it for me....the first timer.

Of course This wouldn't be possible without the total and utter selflessness of Planet member DallasChief who offered me a seat earlier this week. God bless him. I'm also going to meet some well known Planeteers for the first time. There will be pictures taken.

I just hope that those of you whom attend or see Chiefs games every week, every season....just remember... there are Chiefs fans starving in Texas. Be thankful for what you have.

Go Chiefs!

Count Alex's Losses
12-09-2005, 10:42 AM
And you get to sit with the world's most famous Chiefs fan!

Archie F. Swin
12-09-2005, 10:48 AM

you spelled infamous wrong
:shake:

ChiefsGirl
12-09-2005, 10:49 AM

Is he going to be sitting by the "I love you, man" guy from the Bud Lite commercials?

Count Alex's Losses
12-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Is he going to be sitting by the "I love you, man" guy from the Bud Lite commercials?

No, ME.

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 10:59 AM
No, ME.

So the guy on the other side of him is famous?

Cool.

angel
12-09-2005, 11:12 AM
nice post

have a blast watching the Chiefs kick the crap out of those other guys!
:)

Kclee
12-09-2005, 11:36 AM
you spelled infamous wrong
:shake:

Dusty Bottoms: What does that mean, in-famous?
Ned Nederlander: Oh, Dusty. In-famous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.
Lucky Day: 100,000 pesos to perform with this El Guapo, who's probably the biggest actor to come out of Mexico!
Dusty Bottoms: Wow, in-famous? In-famous?

Molitoth
12-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Happy for you man :)

Now get to Arrowhead!

Hog Farmer
12-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Congrats , I also will be attending my first Chiefs game as a business associate gave me tickets to the Chiefs/Chargers game on Christmas Eve day.
I cant' wait. And they are on the 50 yard line 25 rows up, but on the visitor side. I also live in Texas, so I hope the weather is decent. My dad is a big Cowboy fan so he and I will be rooting against each other this weekend. Well i better go , I must visit the Mange to see if I can get banned again.

Cormac
12-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Great post. I hope it's a great game.

Archie F. Swin
12-09-2005, 01:27 PM
One of my earliest memories as a fan is the press conference introducing Marty as the new Head Coach.

Dallas Chief
12-09-2005, 01:33 PM
So the guy on the other side of him is famous?

Cool.
Yeah. That's me... ROFL

Halfcan
12-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Are you taking Veronica, and Jugghead with you.

Archie F. Swin
12-09-2005, 06:10 PM
(((in order to mask a desperate thread bump)))

Coincidently, this will also be my first Cowboys game. :)

Ari Chi3fs
12-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Archie... you are 0-1. Please cease and desist any future game attendence. Thank you.

luv
12-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Archie... you are 0-1. Please cease and desist any future game attendence. Thank you.
Hey. Third time was a charm for me. I am now 2-1 (1-1 if you don't count pre-season).

Game 1 - they lost against the Texans at home last year.
Game 2 (preseason game) - they lost against the Cardinals at home.
Game 3 - they WON against the Broncos at home in friggin' FREEZING weather!

Skip Towne
12-13-2005, 12:49 PM
No, ME.
You have quite an imagination.

Archie F. Swin
12-13-2005, 01:11 PM

yep, I missed the block and Bob Dole sacked gochiefs
:(

Stinger
12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
and Bob Dole sacked gochiefs
:(

TMI ... We really don't need a play by play of what happened at the post game tailgate.

:D ROFL