PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Salary Cap to be between $92-$95 Million

Amnorix
12-09-2005, 11:59 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

CAP COULD MOVE TO $95 MILLION

Early word is that the official cap number for 2006 will land somewhere between $92 million and $95 million per team, up from $85 million this year and higher than the previously anticipated range of $89 million to $90 million.

Even at $95 million, several teams need to trim more than $20 million in 2006 payroll. The Jets and Raiders each exceed $120 million, and the Broncos have more than $118 million committed to next season.

The Chiefs are at $114 million, and the Redskins are at $112 million.

Despite a serious purge in 2005, the Titans are at $102 million.

The Falcons are a hair under $102 million, and the Bucs are at $100 million.

The other teams currently north of the anticipated spending limit are the Fins ($97 million) and the Steelers ($96 million).

At the other end of the spectrum, the Browns are at only $61 million and the Cardinals are at $62 million. The Vikings are at $68 million, giving them yet another offseason with more than $20 million on hand in an effort to upgrade the roster.

The Packers are $70 million and the Bengals are at $71 million.

At $71 million, the Seahawks have plenty of room to sign running back Shaun Alexander, if they so choose.

The Chargers also are at $71 million, which means they can keep both Drew Brees and Philip Rivers, if they so choose.

The Niners are at $74 million, and the Bears and Jags are at $75 million.

The folks within $20 million of the expected cap are as follows: Rams ($76 million); Ravens ($77 million); Texans ($78 million); Saints ($82 million); Bills ($82 million); Lions ($83 million); Eagles ($85 million); Giants ($89 million); Cowboys ($90 million); Pats ($92 million); Colts ($92 million); and Panthers ($93 million).

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 12:01 PM
The Chiefs are at $114 million :shake:

Cormac
12-09-2005, 12:04 PM
From the other thread, if Tennessee are only $7-10m over the cap, and McNair's number (somehow) is $28m......they're just fine.

BigMeatballDave
12-09-2005, 12:06 PM
$114 Million? WTF?!

Amnorix
12-09-2005, 12:06 PM
From the other thread, if Tennessee are only $7-10m over the cap, and McNair's number (somehow) is $28m......they're just fine.

Sure, but if you're Steve McNair, would you rather restructure and stay with that terrible team, or try to look around a bit?

Also, some of those guys are pretty good -- the LBs especially. If they have to cut any of them to get under the cap... :shake:

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Sure, but if you're Steve McNair, would you rather restructure and stay with that terrible team, or try to look around a bit?

Also, some of those guys are pretty good -- the LBs especially. If they have to cut any of them to get under the cap... :shake:
with all the injuries he's had i'm not sure there will be much of a market for him.

looks like to me he's pretty much done ... body is breaking down right and left.

dirk digler
12-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Dammit Amnorix you know you can't post shit from ProFootballTalk without getting flamed or neg-repped.

What the **** is going on here!!! :cuss: :cuss: :banghead:

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Dammit Amnorix you know you can't post shit from ProFootballTalk without getting flamed or neg-repped.

i've got no problem with it

i prefer to hear the rumors ... more interesting

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 12:22 PM
$114 Million? WTF?!

Those are PROJECTED numbers against next year's cap. It includes several large roster bonuses (Bell, Barber) that won't ever be paid.

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 12:23 PM
:shake:

Yeah, it's too bad the Chiefs are cheap and aren't interested in spending every last dollar to build a winner...

Amnorix
12-09-2005, 12:27 PM

:shrug: I don't have a big problem with PFT. I've seen some stuff they posted before anyone else that was spot on accurate. Other times they miss.

If others don't like 'em, that's their choice.

dirk digler
12-09-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't mind PFT either but apparently some do and they are rather assholish about it.

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 12:29 PM
:shrug: I don't have a big problem with PFT. I've seen some stuff they posted before anyone else that was spot on accurate. Other times they miss.

If others don't like 'em, that's their choice.

Maybe one of our long-time posters should go work for PFT. Then everyone would suddenly think of them as reputable.

It worked for WPI.

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Those are PROJECTED numbers against next year's cap. It includes several large roster bonuses (Bell, Barber) that won't ever be paid.
Yeah, it's too bad the Chiefs are cheap and aren't interested in spending every last dollar to build a winner...
Maybe one of our long-time posters should go work for PFT. Then everyone would suddenly think of them as reputable.

It worked for WPI.
jesus ... you covered about every smart ass base possible

now that's talent

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 12:37 PM
jesus ... you covered about ever smart ass base possible

now that's talent

I do it just for you. :D

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 12:40 PM
I do it just for you. :D
and you just don't know how much i appreciate it. :)

Pants
12-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Shield retires and Holmes takes a cut and we are back to 100 mil. Get the 8mil back by making some moves. We'll be fine.

B_Ambuehl
12-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah and those "moves" mean getting worse not better. It means letting people go and not being able to bring in good or better free agents.

The only guy who's retiring is Shields. that's only 5 million or so. Woods is definitley gone. Dalton and Carlos Hall are probably gone. Bell and Barber are probably both gonna have to go.

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Yeah and those "moves" mean getting worse not better. It means letting people go and not being able to bring in good or better free agents.

The only guy who's retiring is Shields. that's only 5 million or so. Woods is definitley gone. Dalton and Carlos Hall are probably gone. Bell and Barber are probably both gonna have to go.

Have you ever heard of restructuring a contract? Bell isn't going anywhere...

BigMeatballDave
12-09-2005, 01:40 PM

It worked for WPI.Ouch.
:)

BigMeatballDave
12-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Those are PROJECTED numbers against next year's cap. It includes several large roster bonuses (Bell, Barber) that won't ever be paid.I see, Thanks...

Pants
12-09-2005, 01:42 PM

Shields is probably more like 8-10mil. Hall and Bell aren't going anywhere. Not sure about Barber.

B_Ambuehl
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Shields is due 5.1 million next year.

Have you ever heard of restructuring a contract? Bell isn't going anywhere...

How many times have you heard of the contract being "restructured" when the player plays under the contract value and the contract is less then 1 year old? Any tinkering to Bells contract means less money for bell in '06 and bell already got dicked on his '05 money so he could make more in '06. CP comes to Bell and says something like, "Well we don't think you're as good as the contract you signed so we want you to restructure or we're gonna have to cut you. " You thing Bell will say "OK sounds great!" Or do you think he's more likely to say, "**** off there are teams out there who will pay me that and then some?"

Do the math.

Yeah Bell might stay but it ain't gonna be under a restructured contract. If he stays somebody else goes.

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Shields is due 5.1 million next year.

How many times have you heard of the contract being "restructured" when the player plays under the contract value and the contract is less then 1 year old? Any tinkering to Bells contract means less money for bell in '06 and bell already got dicked on his '05 money so he could make more in '06. CP comes to Bell and says something like, "Well we don't think you're as good as the contract you signed so we want you to restructure or we're gonna have to cut you. " You thing Bell will say "OK sounds great!" Or do you think he's more likely to say, "**** off there are teams out there who will pay me that and then some?"

Do the math.

Yeah Bell might stay but it ain't gonna be under a restructured contract. If he stays somebody else goes.

You REALLY think that Bell is either gone or gets his $10M bonus? Share some of that crack...

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 04:22 PM
You REALLY think that Bell is either gone or gets his $10M bonus? Share some of that crack...

i think Bell is probably gone too ...

if the 2nd tier of his bonus is structure like most think