PDA

View Full Version : Live World Cup Draw

Pants
12-09-2005, 12:39 PM
If you're interested in the upcoming Wolrd Cup and would like to see the groups being drawn live, please follow the link and launch the Final Draw.

If you don't like soccer, please refrain from posting stupid comments, as they will most likely make you look like an idiot.

Enjoy. http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/fd/index.html

NJ Chief Fan
12-09-2005, 12:44 PM
whens the drawing?

GO POLAND!

chiefqueen
12-09-2005, 12:45 PM
2:15 CST

NJ Chief Fan
12-09-2005, 12:48 PM
is it going to be on tv...maybe like espnews or something

Donger
12-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Soccer's for girls!

bkkcoh
12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
whens the drawing?

GO POLAND!

Do you have to be present to win.....

:hmmm: :p

KCTitus
12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
This is one of the best clubs USA has put together in a VERY long time. Ranked #6 in the world, they've got a real shot to make it to the semifinals.

It would take a miracle to beat the bigger Germans, but the gave them a little run in 2002.

chiefqueen
12-09-2005, 12:51 PM
is it going to be on tv...maybe like espnews or something

ESPN2

NJ Chief Fan
12-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Do you have to be present to win.....

:hmmm: :p

ahh but poland is present...we qualified
;)

chiefsfaninNC
12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
I hope we do well this time. The world loves the fact that we suck at soccer.

chagrin
12-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Soccer's for girls!

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 12:58 PM
...If you don't like soccer, please refrain from posting stupid comments, as they will most likely make you look like an idiot....

You've been here long enough to realize, THAT was an invitation....heh.

penguinz
12-09-2005, 01:10 PM
This is one of the best clubs USA has put together in a VERY long time. Ranked #6 in the world, they've got a real shot to make it to the semifinals.

It would take a miracle to beat the bigger Germans, but the gave them a little run in 2002.We are ranked 8th.

KCTitus
12-09-2005, 01:11 PM
We are ranked 8th.

I heard 6th right after they clinched a spot. Honestly, Im not following it that closely, so I defer.

alanm
12-09-2005, 01:14 PM
If you're interested in the upcoming Wolrd Cup and would like to see the groups being drawn live, please follow the link and launch the Final Draw.

If you don't like soccer, please refrain from posting stupid comments, as they will most likely make you look like an idiot.

Enjoy. http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/fd/index.html
I'd rather watch paint dry. :)

vailpass
12-09-2005, 01:15 PM
ESPN2

I'll watch it unless there is football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, hockey, golf, pro bowling, bass fishing, poker tournaments, ladies golf, rodeo, strong man contests, yard dart tournaments, curling, badminton, table tennis, extreme skiing, indoor motocross championships, lumberjack competition, iron man runs, dressage exhibitions, chess tourneys, jet boat racing, tractor pulls, spelling bees, skeet shooting, olympic luge qualifying rounds, monkey training, dog shows, or anything else more exciting and relevant to Americans than soccer.

Cormac
12-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I'll watch it unless there is football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, hockey, golf, pro bowling, bass fishing, poker tournaments, ladies golf, rodeo, strong man contests, yard dart tournaments, curling, badminton, table tennis, extreme skiing, indoor motocross championships, lumberjack competition, iron man runs, dressage exhibitions, chess tourneys, jet boat racing, tractor pulls, spelling bees, skeet shooting, olympic luge qualifying rounds, monkey training, dog shows, or anything else more exciting and relevant to Americans than soccer.

Your and ass, but that was funny.

alanm
12-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Is monkey training anything like monkey spanking? :hmmm: I don't know if I'd want to watch that then. :shake:

SPchief
12-09-2005, 01:25 PM

ROFL

Pants
12-09-2005, 01:55 PM

Sucks for you. You'll miss out on the greatest sporting event in the world.

penguinz
12-09-2005, 01:56 PM
I heard 6th right after they clinched a spot. Honestly, Im not following it that closely, so I defer.
Rankings are updated monthly.

penguinz
12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
USA is in Group E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

Pants
12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I love the groups. C and E will be awesome to watch. I'm really happy with Ukraine's group too. Getting Saudi Arabia in the end was a godsend (knock knock knock).

Rausch
12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
It would take a miracle to beat the bigger Germans, but the gave them a little run in 2002.

**** the Krauts, this is our cup...

Sully
12-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I certainly don't follow it very much, but this is kinda bad news for the US, no?

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:09 PM
USA is in Group E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

Ghana.....Ghana has to be a powerhouse.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:11 PM
..... You'll miss out on the greatest sporting event in the world.

DOLE!!! :cuss: :banghead: :mad: :# :bang: %(/

THIS is clearly grounds for at least a temporary ban. SURELY, no respectable mod would allow this kind of blasphemy on this site!!!

Rausch
12-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Ghana.....Ghana has to be a powerhouse.

Sweet. We should mop up round one.

Pants
12-09-2005, 02:13 PM
I certainly don't follow it very much, but this is kinda bad news for the US, no?

Not really, I think you guys will be able to pull off #2, if not #1. Italy vs USA is going to be classic. The new up and comers, physical vs old school, technical. Czech vs USA is going to be amazing as well - physical vs physical. I hate the Czechs so I really hope USA destroyes them.

Pants
12-09-2005, 02:14 PM

THIS is clearly bounds for at least a temporary ban. SURELY, no respectable mod would allow this kind of blasphemy on this site!!!

HEY! Superbowl is a close second. WC is only once every 4 years and the whole world plays. This is like comparing Civil War to WWII.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:17 PM
HEY! Superbowl is a close second. WC is only once every 4 years and the whole world plays. This is like comparing Civil War to WWII.

DOLE!!! :cuss: :banghead: :mad: :spank: :bang: %(/ :stupid:

Do you see this?! He REPEATED the absurd assertion!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

The ban should be a minimum of 2 weeks! :mad:

Rausch
12-09-2005, 02:18 PM

THIS is clearly grounds for at least a temporary ban. SURELY, no respectable mod would allow this kind of blasphemy on this site!!!

Cochise
12-09-2005, 02:23 PM
From what I have seen most of the people who bash soccer have watched a few minutes combined in their life and are only doing so because they think it's the cool thing to bash on.

Pants
12-09-2005, 02:27 PM
From what I have seen most of the people who bash soccer have watched a few minutes combined in their life and are only doing so because they think it's the cool thing to bash on.
Yeah, there are another two reasons: not understanding the game and not having a team to root for (which isn't the case with WC, if they'd think about it for a minute). Just like I don't like watching baseball, some people don't like watching soccer, I understand that. I however, don't go around saying only fat gay retards play baseball.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:27 PM

I've watched HS, college, youth, and midget soccer. Literally, HUNDREDS of games. Why do I continue to go? To support friends and family. No other reason.

I've also watched soccer on television, including World Cup with friends who tried to convince me of what you are saying.....for a total of no less than 25-30 hours, or whole/parts of at least 12-15 different games.

I'd rather watch NASCAR or golf or bowling or poker or just about anything else. And I know a lot of people like me who've tried, but never "caught" the fever of soccer.....sorry. :shake:

carlos3652
12-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Damn... I just saw that Argentina got Holland, Serbia and Ivory Coast...

Why do we always have to have the f'n hardest group!!!

US is in trouble too... I can see them only beating Ghana.... Italy and Czech's are strong...

Rausch
12-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I've watched HS, college, youth, and midget soccer. Literally, HUNDREDS of games. Why do I continue to go? To support friends and family. No other reason.

I've also watched soccer on television, including World Cup with friends who tried to convince me of what you are saying.....for a total of no less than 25-30 hours, or whole/parts of at least 12-15 different games.

I'd rather watch NASCAR or golf or bowling or poker or just about anything else. And I know a lot of people like me who've tried, but never "caught" the fever of soccer.....sorry. :shake:

That's the same thing most women say about football.

If you don't know the strategy, positions, and rules you aren't going to enjoy it. Plus, lets be honest, no football compares to college or profootball.

Pants
12-09-2005, 02:41 PM
Damn... I just saw that Argentina got Holland, Serbia and Ivory Coast...

Why do we always have to have the f'n hardest group!!!

US is in trouble too... I can see them only beating Ghana.... Italy and Czech's are strong...

Heh, the only ones you really have to worry about are Netherlands. Maybe Cote as well, but I'm not too familiar with them. They're an African team, so don't expect them to get tired :)

Pants

If you don't know the strategy, positions, and rules you aren't going to enjoy it. Plus, lets be honest, no football compares to college or profootball.

Exactly!

vailpass
Yeah, there are another two reasons: not understanding the game and not having a team to root for (which isn't the case with WC, if they'd think about it for a minute). Just like I don't like watching baseball, some people don't like watching soccer, I understand that. I however, don't go around saying only fat gay retards play baseball.

ROFL Riiight. There is no possible way I could have watched some soccer, have a basic grasp of the rules, and still not l ike it.

It's cool if you and the 14 other soccer fans in the US enjoy the sport. I recognize your right to do so and won't give you any shit for it.
Please afford me the right to not enjoy it without labeling me ignorant.
The game is slow and boring in my eyes. I cannot for the life of me see the thrill in a soccer ball "bending". BFD, the thing curved when he kicked it.
Oh my what an amazing physical feat.

beavis
12-09-2005, 02:42 PM
I thought it was because soccer is teh ghey.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:43 PM

You think if I've watched HUNDREDS of games, that I don't understand strategy, postions, and rules? Give me a little credit....your assumption that I don't understand it, is completely wrong. I know it was youth soccer, but.....hell, I even COACHED it for two years. And it still sucked. I guess it's just all personal opinion, but don't assume those who don't like it don't understand it. That's simply not true; just an easy way to dismiss the critics.

Pants
12-09-2005, 02:44 PM
ROFL Riiight. There is no possible way I could have watched some soccer, have a basic grasp of the rules, and still not l ike it.

It's cool if you and the 14 other soccer fans in the US enjoy the sport. I recognize your right to do so and won't give you an shit for it.
Please afford me the right to not enjoy it without labeling me ignorant.

Basic grasp =/= understanding the game. You wouldn't know a good combination if it hit you in the face with a baseball bat.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Exactly!

Bullshit....I'll cut and paste my response to him, to make it easier for you:

You think if I've watched HUNDREDS of games, that I don't understand strategy, postions, and rules? Give me a little credit....your assumption that I don't understand it, is completely wrong. I know it was youth soccer, but.....hell, I even COACHED it for two years. And it still sucked. I guess it's just all personal opinion, but don't assume those who don't like it don't understand it. That's simply not true; just an easy way to dismiss the critics.

vailpass
12-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Basic grasp =/= understanding the game. You wouldn't know a good combination if it hit you in the face with a baseball bat.

That's just it, I am NOT impressed with soccer players' moves. A combination,oh boy, one guy kicked it to another guuy.
Amazing.
Holy shit, that was so incredible.
Not.
It's like a game for those who couldn't make the football or basketball team or whose parents wouldn't let them play a contact sport.

It's cool if you like it but please don't insult me just because I don't.

Rausch
12-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Coaching is fun because it's coaching.

But still, we're talking about kids here. No, it's not really a great spectator sport watching kids unless you got one in the pile.

And it doesn't compare to the pros, which you know. I don't care much for high school football until the playoffs either.

carlos3652
12-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Metro,

Netherlands - Number #3 team in the world - 'nough said...

Ivory Coast - Some are saying they will be the surprise of this tournament... Not in this group... they will be lucky to survive.

Serbia - I hate these guys in Basketball and in soccer... POS deserve to croak...

This reminds me of our last group: Arg, England, Sweden, Nigeria... we came in 3rd and did not qualify...

the Talking Can
12-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Can't wait...love the World Cup...though our group sounds tough...yes? no?

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:49 PM
That's just it, I am NOT impressed with soccer players' moves. A combination,oh boy, one guy kicked it to another guuy.
Amazing.
Not.
It's like a game for those who couldn't make the football or basketball team or whose parents wouldn't let them play a contact sport.

Considering most soccer players were rejected and cut by real sports, it IS pretty amazing really....;)

jk, mike & brad....lighten up; just trying to get a rise outta you....heh.

Cochise
12-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Amazing.
Not.

"I'll insult you for liking it, but please don't insult me back" Not a terrible position sir.

Soccer player musta slammed your girlfriend in junior high ROFL

vailpass
12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
"I'll insult you for liking it, but please don't insult me back" Not a terrible position sir.

We didn't have any soccer boys at my school; the guys were all busy playing real sports.

Soccer guy is right up there with band fag when it comes to the chick pecking order.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Nah, if it was a soccer player....chances are it was a boyfriend. ;)

Dave Lane
12-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Sucks for you. You'll miss out on the greatest sporting event in the world.

The Superbowl? Damn I'd hate to miss that!

Dave

Donger
12-09-2005, 02:53 PM

What? Aren't you the guy that started out with this gem?

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Will the English get to travel?

Donger
12-09-2005, 02:54 PM
the guys were all busy playing real sports.

I'll bite. Please define what a 'real' sport is and provide some examples.

Thanks.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Sorry for muddyin' up the thread.....I'll leave you guys alone to discuss your "football" ;)

vailpass
12-09-2005, 03:04 PM
What? Aren't you the guy that started out with this gem?

Is that why you are coming at me?
That was not an insult, it was a joke. In America you will have to accept the fact that soccer is viewed by the vast majority with a certain amount of humor.
Did you not find my post even a little bit funny?

Spicy McHaggis
12-09-2005, 03:05 PM

Yep all those European, African, Asian, South/Central American kids all got cut from their high school football teams and that's why we have billions of soccer players world wide. Your and genious.

As far as the draw goes, USA v. Italy will be awesome. And I really hope Costa Rica knocks off Germany, though I'm guessing those chances are slim to none.

vailpass
12-09-2005, 03:05 PM
I'll bite. Please define what a 'real' sport is and provide some examples.

Thanks.

Just jerkin with ya; soccer has a ball and points are scored therefore it's a sport. It's just not an American sport :p
(I kid, I kid don't get irate with me NASCAR guy).

vailpass
12-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Yep all those European, African, Asian, South/Central American kids all got cut from their high school football teams and that's why we have billions of soccer players world wide. Your and genious.

As far as the draw goes, USA v. Italy will be awesome. And I really hope Costa Rica knocks off Germany, though I'm guessing those chances are slim to none.

That's it, take everything I say seriously. Seriously.
Besides, all those kids from the countries you just named didn't get cut; their schools are too poor to have football/baseball/basketball programs so they have to play soccer. It's the only sport you can play in bare feet wearing a banana sling kicking a goat skull into a flea-bitten burial shroud stretched over the shin bones of four emaciated villagers.

BigRedChief
12-09-2005, 03:11 PM
(I kid, I kid don't get irate with me NASCAR guy).

Where's the NZoner clan? Notify them of this post.:p

Spicy McHaggis
12-09-2005, 03:16 PM
That's it, take everything I say seriously. Seriously.
Besides, all those kids from the countries you just named didn't get cut; their schools are too poor to have football/baseball/basketball programs so they have to play soccer. It's the only sport you can play in bare feet wearing a banana sling kicking a goat skull into a flea-bitten burial shroud stretched over the shin bones of four emaciated villagers.

I know you're just messing. Soccer isn't for everyone but I think with the influx of Central Americans and other nationalities coming into the country its going to become more and more popular. My dad grew up overseas and I think that influence is a big reason I love soccer. I did play both football and soccer in High School though.

vailpass
12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
I know you're just messing. Soccer isn't for everyone but I think with the influx of Central Americans and other nationalities coming into the country its going to become more and more popular. My dad grew up overseas and I think that influence is a big reason I love soccer. I did play both football and soccer in High School though.

Any sport that a kid plays instead of hanging out on the street getting in trouble is adamn good thing.

I was vacationing in Mexico when they were playing in the cup; the whole damn town was staring at TVs and screaming and yelling.
Couldn't hardly get a ****ing drink. For at least a little while all those people forgot they were poor. Good stuff; a sport for the whole (rest of the) world. I only poke fun to pass the time; please don't take anything I say personally.

Rausch
12-09-2005, 03:22 PM
College soccer on ESPN2...

StcChief
12-09-2005, 03:22 PM
DILIGAF :) :)

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 03:23 PM
HELLO-Did the ban on the English gettin to travel get lifted?????

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
HELLO-Did the ban on the English gettin to travel get lifted?????

Who are you again? gochief's little brother is it?...... :spock:

Heh, I'm sorry but I can't help you, MO.

Hey, soccer geeks, can someone answer the man's earnest question? :hmmm:

Spicy McHaggis
12-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Any sport that a kid plays instead of hanging out on the street getting in trouble is adamn good thing.

I was vacationing in Mexico when they were playing in the cup; the whole damn town was staring at TVs and screaming and yelling.
Couldn't hardly get a ****ing drink. For at least a little while all those people forgot they were poor. Good stuff; a sport for the whole (rest of the) world. I only poke fun to pass the time; please don't take anything I say personally.

Its a matter of huge national pride for a lot of nations. Two of my good buddies are Costa Rican and when the US played them to qualify the neighbors complained because of all the yelling we were doing. And don't worry, it's the Planet, you can't take things personally here or you won't last long, its all in good fun.

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Who are you again? gochief's little brother is it?...... :spock:

Heh, I'm sorry but I can't help you, MO.

Hey, soccer geeks, can someone answer the man's earnest question? :hmmm:

I love the shit - i played 2 seasons a year till jr high. and i AM what I AM:)

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I love the shit - i played 2 seasons a year till jr high. and i AM what I AM:)

I wrestled, so I can't talk. Heh.

Except, I and ANYONE on our wrestling team coulda kicked ANYONE on the soccer teams azz. Heh. Except, if YOU had been on our school's soccer team that is, of course......MO. Heh.

:p

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I wrestled, so I can't talk. Heh.

Except, I and ANYONE on our wrestling team coulda kicked ANYONE on the soccer teams azz. Heh. Except, if YOU had been on our school's soccer team that is, of course......MO. Heh.

:p

i would have been under 12 so you could have given me a run.

I got my nose broke so bad in the 6th grade during a game that my eyes swelled shut.
little ****er punched me hard......

Pants
12-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Metro,

Netherlands - Number #3 team in the world - 'nough said...

Ivory Coast - Some are saying they will be the surprise of this tournament... Not in this group... they will be lucky to survive.

Serbia - I hate these guys in Basketball and in soccer... POS deserve to croak...

This reminds me of our last group: Arg, England, Sweden, Nigeria... we came in 3rd and did not qualify...

Netherlands are good, but we all know they're the biggest chokers of the world, no matter who they have, save Van Basten, Cruyff, et al, they will always choke. I'll say this much... this group is easier than what you guys got in 2002.

Also, you should know by now that the World Ranking system is broken due to a multitude of reasons. That #3 doesn't mean shit.

Also, this WC is going to be awesome, none of that 2002 bullshit.

the Talking Can
12-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Netherlands are good, but we all know they're the biggest chokers of the world, no matter who they have, save Van Basten, Cruyff, et al, they will always choke. I'll say this much... this group is easier than what you guys got in 2002.

Also, you should know by now that the World Ranking system is broken due to a multitude of reasons. That #3 doesn't mean shit.

Also, this WC is going to be awesome, none of that 2002 bullshit.

you seem to know your stuff...I'm an casual fan who zones in for the World Cup...is the US truly in the "Group of Death" or is Italy more reputation than reality at this point? 'Cause I hear "Italy" and think "we're farked."....and yes, I realize that the Czechs are ranked higher, so I'm assuming we'll have to beat Italy and Ghana to advance..

Pants
12-10-2005, 08:19 AM
you seem to know your stuff...I'm an casual fan who zones in for the World Cup...is the US truly in the "Group of Death" or is Italy more reputation than reality at this point? 'Cause I hear "Italy" and think "we're farked."....and yes, I realize that the Czechs are ranked higher, so I'm assuming we'll have to beat Italy and Ghana to advance..

It's a tough group for sure, but you guys have a good chance of advancing. The Czechs are exteremely strong, but so was Portugal when US absolutely shell shocked them. Italy had a really easy qualifying group so I don't really know what to expect from them. I do know that Italy vs US is going to be an amazing game to watch in terms of old school vs new school. Czechs vs US is going to be cool to watch because both teams are very physical. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on US progressing.

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 08:24 AM
I dont think their are any "groups of death" where all 4 teams are hard ala 2002's Argentina, England, Sweden, Nigeria.

But USA's group will be hard... and so will Argentina's.

Brazil vs Croatia will be fun to watch. Croatia tied 1-1 last time they met in a friendly this year...

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 08:27 AM
2006 Big Names

Contenders

Argentina
Brazil
Italy
Netherlands
Czech
England
Sweden

Pretenders

Germany - weak (home field is the only thing they have)
France
Spain
Mexico

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Group C is going to be bloody. I think I gasped when I saw how it was shaping up during the draw.

As for us, it will be tough (and it won't be any easier if we advance as E2, which meets F1 -- Brazil), but very doable. We get the chance to test our mettle against some very good teams on European soil, and we have what it takes to succeed. Kind of funny that we'll play Italy and Ghana; can you say Rossi-Adu Wundergruppe?

Czechs, you're on notice!

Pants
12-10-2005, 08:30 AM
I dont think their are any "groups of death" where all 4 teams are hard ala 2002's Argentina, England, Sweden, Nigeria.

But USA's group will be hard... and so will Argentina's.

Brazil vs Croatia will be fun to watch. Croatia tied 1-1 last time they met in a friendly this year...

Yeah, C and E are the only 2 groups who come close to being the "gorups of death". The groups are very well balanced I think, I'm just really sad Nigeria and Cameroon didn't make it.

Also, Croatia finished 3rd in 98, so they aren't exactly a weak team, they've always performed well. Pretty much all Yugoslavian teams are pretty solid, they just aren't soccer super powers like Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands, Italy, etc.

the Talking Can
12-10-2005, 08:31 AM
It's a tough group for sure, but you guys have a good chance of advancing. The Czechs are exteremely strong, but so was Portugal when US absolutely shell shocked them. Italy had a really easy qualifying group so I don't really know what to expect from them. I do know that Italy vs US is going to be an amazing game to watch in terms of old school vs new school. Czechs vs US is going to be cool to watch because both teams are very physical. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on US progressing.

good to hear...I watched all of our qualifying matches, but I still feel like we're pups compared to the traditional powers...can't wait...the insanity of the World Cup is unrivaled...Nationalism is great fuel for sport!

Pants
12-10-2005, 08:33 AM
2006 Big Names

Contenders

Argentina
Brazil
Italy
Netherlands
Czech
England
Sweden

Pretenders

Germany - weak (home field is the only thing they have)
France
Spain
Mexico

You can take England, Sweden and Italy off that list, they won't do shit. I'd also put Germany in "Contenders", they aren't the young 2002 team anymore. They have legitimate international stars on their squad this time around.

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Yeah, C and E are the only 2 groups who come close to being the "gorups of death". The groups are very well balanced I think, I'm just really sad Nigeria and Cameroon didn't make it.

Also, Croatia finished 3rd in 98, so they aren't exactly a weak team, they've always performed well. Pretty much all Yugoslavian teams are pretty solid, they just aren't soccer super powers like Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands, Italy, etc.

Yea... I heard Croatia had a young striker... from hejduk (also used to play for Dinamo)... he is suppose to be the next Suker for them...

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 08:50 AM
You can take England, Sweden and Italy off that list, they won't do shit. I'd also put Germany in "Contenders", they aren't the young 2002 team anymore. They have legitimate international stars on their squad this time around.

Have you seen Germany play recently... I am not basing (sp) this off 2002, this is current... England just beat Argentina in Germany in a friendly 3-2 (****!) and Germany stil looks weak, I think if they stick with these players 4 more years, then you wil have a solid team. The Germans have an easy group and they only thing that helps them is Home filed...

Italy look strong but if the US can beat Italy they will be off the contender list...

You might be right on Sweden, they just always seem to be there...

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2005, 08:54 AM
You can take England, Sweden and Italy off that list, they won't do shit. I'd also put Germany in "Contenders", they aren't the young 2002 team anymore. They have legitimate international stars on their squad this time around.Agreed on all of the above, to some degree, though I tend to think Germany will end up making the quarters and not do a whole lot more.

I think the Czechs make for our toughest matchup, but playing them first helps us out a little, I think. And if we can just get up 1-0 on Italy... well, that catenaccio bullshit doesn't fly when you're down. Maybe knock in a go-ahead goal at 75' or so. Both games should be incredible, with totally different styles; Ghana could bring it, too, but they're clearly less imposing foes than the others.

God... Cech, Buffon, and Keller. Some amazing goalkeeping should be on display in Group E.

June seems so close, yet so far away. This is going to be fun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/pabloescobar/treadcrest.jpg

Pants
12-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Have you seen Germany play recently... I am not basing (sp) this off 2002, this is current... England just beat Argentina in Germany in a friendly 3-2 (****!) and Germany stil looks weak, I think if they stick with these players 4 more years, then you wil have a solid team. The Germans have an easy group and they only thing that helps them is Home filed...

Italy look strong but if the US can beat Italy they will be off the contender list...

You might be right on Sweden, they just always seem to be there...

Yeah and you guys beat Brazil 3-1, Brazil is still the strongest team in the world. Sweden and Paraguay will advance, IMO. Paraguay is inconsistent as hell, but they play well when needed.

Germany got 2nd in 2002 with a worse team, they are contenders, IMO and I also think they will go far if not all the way. See France on homefield in 98.

Pants
12-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Agreed on all of the above, to some degree, though I tend to think Germany will end up making the quarters and not do a whole lot more.

I think the Czechs make for our toughest matchup, but playing them first helps us out a little, I think. And if we can just get up 1-0 on Italy... well, that catenaccio bullshit doesn't fly when you're down. Maybe knock in a go-ahead goal at 75' or so. Both games should be incredible, with totally different styles; Ghana could bring it, too, but they're clearly less imposing foes than the others.

God... Cech, Buffon, and Keller. Some amazing goalkeeping should be on display in Group E.

June seems so close, yet so far away. This is going to be fun.

Yeah, I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about US vs Italy. I hate the defensive style, but it seems to work for them. We'll see.

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Germany got 2nd in 2002 with a worse teamWe love you, Hugh Dallas!

Sincerely,
Zie Germans

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Yeah and you guys beat Brazil 3-1, Brazil is still the strongest team in the world. Sweden and Paraguay will advance, IMO. Paraguay is inconsistent as hell, but they play well when needed.

Germany got 2nd in 2002 with a worse team, they are contenders, IMO and I also think they will go far if not all the way. See France on homefield in 98.

Huge difference though...

Brazil 4
Argentina 1 (in Germany)

Brazil 3
Argentina 0 (in Brazil)

Brazil 1
Argentina 3 (in Argentina)

Just because we beat a team in Argentina doesnt mean we are better then them.

The England game was in Germany and I think they are for real...

Germany not so much, but I think you are right about Home field... although France 98 had a heck of a team... Zidane in = France great, Zidane out = France worse than Israel...

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2005, 09:16 AM
KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN!

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2005, 09:22 AM

Brazil 4
Argentina 1 (in Germany)

Brazil 3
Argentina 0 (in Brazil)

Brazil 1

Just because we beat a team in Argentina doesnt mean we are better then them.Like US-Mexico. They can beat us at Azteca, sure, but they're our bitches anywhere else in the world.

Pants
12-10-2005, 09:22 AM

Brazil 4
Argentina 1 (in Germany)

Brazil 3
Argentina 0 (in Brazil)

Brazil 1

Just because we beat a team in Argentina doesnt mean we are better then them.

The England game was in Germany and I think they are for real...

Germany not so much, but I think you are right about Home field... although France 98 had a heck of a team... Zidane in = France great, Zidane out = France worse than Israel...

Even when he came back to play for them, France still sucked. But that was also due to a coaching change. Also, comparing friendly matches to the ones that actually matter doesn't really show the real picture. England is always strong on paper, go see what happened to them in previous WC's and even Euros. I'm predicting Sweden and Paraguay advancing, but who knows, it's the WC.

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Like US-Mexico. They can beat us at Azteca, sure, but they're our bitches anywhere else in the world.

Yea, but the 12th man is in effect in Argentina... not the altitude...

and Mexico is no Brazil... but yea we are their bitch right now... (i think the world is their bitch for that matter). I was so pissed when england beat us though... they scored 2 goals in the final 2 min to win... ahhhhhhh!

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 09:33 AM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=351692&cc=3888

Associated Press

LEIPZIG, Germany -- South American powers Brazil and Argentina drew European opponents they might want to avoid in the first round of the World Cup. That was still better than the United States, which got double trouble Friday.

Defending champion Brazil will play its first match against 1998 semifinalist Croatia. Argentina wound up with the powerful Netherlands in its group.

The United States, which advanced to the quarterfinals of the last World Cup in 2002, was drawn into a strong group with Italy, the Czech Republic and Ghana.

"It's a very difficult group," U.S. captain Claudio Reyna said. "You have perhaps three teams that could have been top seeds."

The United States opens against the Czech Republic on June 12 at Gelsenkirchen, then plays Italy on June 17 at Kaiserslautern and finishes the first round against Ghana on June 22 at Nuremberg.

"We will have our hands full. We know they are all going to be difficult games," U.S. coach Bruce Arena said. "Italy is always nice because of my heritage."

The Americans lost to Czechoslovakia and Italy in their first two games of the 1990 World Cup, the first appearance in the tournament for the U.S. team since 1950. The Americans are 0-3-2 against Italy and have never played Ghana or the Czech Republic, which split from Slovakia in 1993.

"Please write down 'Italy is the favorite,' " Czech Republic coach Karel Bruckner said of Group E.

The opening match will be host Germany against Costa Rica in Munich on June 9. Three-time winner Germany also plays Poland and Ecuador.

Five-time champion Brazil also faces Australia and Japan in Group F.

"It's a group many will consider technically easy, but it won't be like that," coach Carlos Alberto Parreira told the Brazilian SporTV channel."We will need to be very alert."

Croatia played Brazil for the first time in August in Croatia, a 1-1 tie.

"It will be tough, but it will also definitely be memorable considering both teams like to control the ball," said Croatia's naturalized Brazilian, striker Eduardo da Silva.

Croatian coach Zlatko Kranjcar was confident his team would get through to the knockout phase despite having to face Brazil.

"I don't think there should be any room for discontent. It's a fair group, a good group," Kranjcar said. "There are stronger groups for sure."

Such as Group C, where Argentina has to play the Netherlands, the Ivory Coast and Serbia-Montenegro. Argentina failed to get past the first round in 2002 and this draw means it could struggle again.

"It's a tough group. It's the toughest," said Carlos Bilardo, who coached Argentina to the 1986 title. "The good thing is that it will be defined against the Netherlands, probably the team to beat."

England was drawn in Group B with Sweden, the home country of England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson.

"It's a destiny, I suppose, Sweden again in a World Cup," Eriksson said. "I thought with statistics that we shouldn't have drawn them because we played them at the last World Cup, but that's life, and sooner or later we have to beat them."

But the rest of that group, Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago, is not considered strong.

Dennis Lawrence, whose goal in a playoff against Bahrain put Trinidad into its first World Cup, was delighted to be facing England, where he plays for Wrexham.

"I can imagine how the fans are feeling because I am so excited about it myself," Lawrence said. "It was brilliant looking at our name come out in the same group as England."

France, the 1998 champion, must start against one of the teams it faced in qualifying, Switzerland. South Korea, a semifinalist in 2002, and newcomer Togo are also in Group G.

Also in Mexico's Group D are Portugal, Angola and Iran. Joining Spain in Group H are Ukraine, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.

The last time Portugal and Angola met in an exhibition in Lisbon four years ago, four Angolan players were ejected for brutal tackles and dissent and the game was stopped with 20 minutes to play. That match was supposed to be a celebration of the long-standing cultural ties between the European country and its former African colony.

"The meeting with Angola will be a very special moment. It'll be a great festival because our countries are related," Portugal forward Luis Boa Morte said.

Half of the 32 teams, two from each group, will advance after round-robin play. Then come single-elimination games leading to the final on July 9 in Berlin.

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Yea, but the 12th man is in effect in Argentina... not the altitude... Okay, then. The Mexicans have the 114,012th man. Stooges

tiptap
12-10-2005, 10:12 AM
In Paris the summer of 2000 and the orange of Netherlands is cruising early, Portugal is kinetic, Italy is surprising and France, the defending World Cup team, limps into the European finals against Italy. And with a 0-1 score with 5 minutes in the game the listless French team makes a substitution to try to get some kind of offence.

BANG the tieing score is made and you could hear the roar of excitement from Hotel de Ville (There were several hugh screens set up through out Paris to watch as a crowd the game). I was in a Lebanese restaurant across the Seine from the screen, with the game on the tube and everyone was lamenting the play of the French team until that tieing score. And then Paris exploded (free wine and dessert for all in the restaurant) when France won with a score in overtime.

Now occasionally you hear about rioting from celebrations, the game was over about 6:00pm and it was 3:00 am before I got home (Isle of St. Louis) having delivered two lost college girls, with the inter urban subway shut down, and thousands on each street, to the surburban line that could get them each two their locals (they heard us speaking american english and latched on to us having been seperated from their friends and didn't know each other).

I think I will just watch with a beer in my hand at home this time around.

Pants
12-10-2005, 12:08 PM
In Paris the summer of 2000 and the orange of Netherlands is cruising early, Portugal is kinetic, Italy is surprising and France, the defending World Cup team, limps into the European finals against Italy. And with a 0-1 score with 5 minutes in the game the listless French team makes a substitution to try to get some kind of offence.

BANG the tieing score is made and you could hear the roar of excitement from Hotel de Ville (There were several hugh screens set up through out Paris to watch as a crowd the game). I was in a Lebanese restaurant across the Seine from the screen, with the game on the tube and everyone was lamenting the play of the French team until that tieing score. And then Paris exploded (free wine and dessert for all in the restaurant) when France won with a score in overtime.

Now occasionally you hear about rioting from celebrations, the game was over about 6:00pm and it was 3:00 am before I got home (Isle of St. Louis) having delivered two lost college girls, with the inter urban subway shut down, and thousands on each street, to the surburban line that could get them each two their locals (they heard us speaking american english and latched on to us having been seperated from their friends and didn't know each other).

I think I will just watch with a beer in my hand at home this time around.

Yeah, Italy deserved to win that Euro. What a shame.

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Man, I cant wait... Buenos Aires has been my home during the WC... 88.90,94,98

This is my 2nd WC away from home and heres hoping it will be a better one than our 1st round exit with fn England beating us 1-0 on a Beckham penalty...