PDA

View Full Version : Nasal Dermoid - Take 2

Vegas_Dave
12-09-2005, 03:28 PM
So some of you may recall back this summer, I had my youngest (about 10-11 months old at the time) who had a Nasal Dermoid. In short, it is a cyst-like material on top of the nose, under the skin.

The big concern back then was wether or not this material was still connected to the brain (happens in 15-20% of cases).

An MRI then showed no connection.

Well he had his surgery and everything went fine. About 2 months ago, it relapsed and started to grow again. We were warned that this could happen if 100% of the growth was not fully removed.

So he had his second surgery toady (he is 16 months old today). Went fine, but the surgeon found a small filament that he believe is still connected to the brain that appears to go underneath the nasal bone (at the junction with the nose cartiledge).

Meaning that now, after these 2 surgeries, we get to start back a quare zero, do more tests, meet with a Neurosurgeon and in about 1-2 months, have as 3rd surgery where they will make an incision on the top of his head, peel back his forhead, remove a small piece of bone from the front/base of his skull as well as split the nasal bone so that they can perform the neural surgery to remove this once and for all (or so we now hope). Will be about a 6 hour surgery with about 1 week in the hospital after that.

I know we are all praying for the Chiefs to make the playoffs this year, but if you are able to take a little of that and send it mine, my wifes and my son's way, it would be appreciated as we are absolutely wrecks right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Update post 12/15/05:

First, thank you to all that have offered their prayers and thoughts, and to those that have us in mind.

We had our first new consult with the surgeon. He made us aware that he wants to do this quick. This is because he claims to have seen clear fluid coming from the "stock" where the dermoid was growing from. His belief is that this is fluid from the brain.

So utmost urgency was his stressed point. We will be going in for a New MRI before Tuesday and then will be meeting with the Neurosurgeon within 2 days after that.

My guess is that this will happen before the end of the year (which will be nice since I have already hit my out of pocket maximum for the year on my insurance - though money is not my concern).

Again, thanks for all of your prayers and thoughts.

I have finally reached a point that I now know and accept that it is out of my hands. All I can do is make sure that I give my son the best surgeons possible... which I believe I have done. Since I am a believer, I have put my faith and trust in God. What more can I do but that.

So again, thanks and I will definately keep my ChiefsFamily informed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 12/16/05

So when it rains, it pours. This update has nothing to do with my son. This part is my father in law.

My father in law suffers from critical emphasyma (sp?). He is 50 years old.

Last night, my oldest son (3 years old) was staying the night at the in laws house. We get a call at 3:30 am this morning because my father in law had to be taken to the hospital via ambulence.

Appearantly, last night, he had what is described to me as "an air bubble burst" in his lung. He could not breath even with his inhaler and oxygen machine.

They had to sedate him because he was physically thrashing.

He is now only being kept alive right now by a ventilator. There is a small chance that his lung can repair the rupture, but if it does not, then there is nothing that they can do but keep him alive by the ventilator.

He has completely express his desire that he does not, under any circumstances want to live out his life attached to life support or a ventilator.

My wife, brother in law, mother in law and myself all 100% know this and understand.

So right now, he is in critical condition in intensive care. There is nothing anyone can do. If his lung heals, then it was not because of any medical help. If his lung cannot heal, then we are brought with the choice of honoring his wish.

So now, pray for us even more as it looks like he will not make it out of this.

Merry Christmas.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 12/23/05

Well, a few updates here. My father-in-law's condition has not improved at all. Appearantly, he also has pnuemonia in his good lung as well which has not improved. He has been on the ventilator/breathing tube for 7 days and they have let us know that he can only have it for another 7 days or risk severe damage to his esophaugus (sp?).

After that time frame has passed, if his lungs cannot take over regular breathing again his only other choice would be a Trachyotomy with oxygen going direct that way for the rest of his life. We already know he does not want this though if it comes down to it, he will be given the option still.

The doctors are saying that they are going to try and force his lungs to take over some of the wait by making his ventilator pump less often and with less oxygen per breath. They are doing this in hopes that it will stimulate the lungs to start improving.

As for my son, he finally got another MRI (3rd attempt, they couldnt get him sedated the first two days... stubborn brat). Had our meeting with the Nuerosurgeon yesterday and says that the results are inconclusive. He sees what "could" be the intracranial tract but it could also be inflamed tissue from his surgery 2 weeks ago. So I am taking him the original MRI's from 6 months ago to compare and rule out the inflamed material theory possibly. If that is the case, then he wants a CAT Scan to determine where in the bone the gap is that this material is connected.

So, still busy here. I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers and the PM's that many have sent me. It all helps greatly.

Merry Christmas and lets kick some Charger tail.

seclark
12-09-2005, 03:32 PM
thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
sec

Pants
12-09-2005, 03:33 PM
So some of you may recall back this summer, I had my youngest (about 10-11 months old at the time) who had a Nasal Dermoid. In short, it is a cyst-like material on top of the nose, under the skin.

The big concern back then was wether or not this material was still connected to the brain (happens in 15-20% of cases).

An MRI then showed no connection.

Well he had his surgery and everything went fine. About 2 months ago, it relapsed and started to grow again. We were warned that this could happen if 100% of the growth was not fully removed.

So he had his second surgery toady (he is 16 months old today). Went fine, but the surgeon found a small filament that he believe is still connected to the brain that appears to go underneath the nasal bone (at the junction with the nose cartiledge).

Meaning that now, after these 2 surgeries, we get to start back a quare zero, do more tests, meet with a Neurosurgeon and in about 1-2 months, have as 3rd surgery where they will make an incision on the top of his head, peel back his forhead, remove a small piece of bone from the front/base of his skull as well as split the nasal bone so that they can perform the neural surgery to remove this once and for all (or so we now hope). Will be about a 6 hour surgery with about 1 week in the hospital after that.

I know we are all praying for the Chiefs to make the playoffs this year, but if you are able to take a little of that and send it mine, my wifes and my son's way, it would be appreciated as we are absolutely wrecks right now.

Wow, that's tough. The docs seem to understand the situation very well, so, hopefully everything will go smooth. You got my thoughts and prayers.

Braincase
12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
(Prayers)

Hog Rider
12-09-2005, 03:46 PM
We went through health issues with our daughter at age 2.

Thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Radar Chief
12-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Damn Dave that’s tough, consider it done.

KCFalcon59
12-09-2005, 04:05 PM
Prayers from my family to yours. God Bless you all.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Man that is tough. I have two small children myself and always pray nothing like this happens (for all kids). You will definetely be in my families thoughts and prayers. God bless.

morphius
12-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Dang. I would be going nuts if that was my son. I can deal with a lot of crap, but my son having to have surgery like that would be tough.

Thoughts and prayers for your boy.

Tactical Funky
12-09-2005, 06:17 PM
That's an unfortunate situation, but your son will be fine with you and your wife as an anchor to his morale. As one who's suffered from numerous medical issues, I can say that the most important thing is support. It is also good to keep your son distracted with what he enjoys while this process is unfolding.

Sending you the best of my thoughts and prayers.

Caseykid
12-09-2005, 10:25 PM
So sorry you all are going thru this! Will definitely be keeping you in my prayers.

listopencil
12-09-2005, 10:28 PM
I hope everything turns out Ok for the little guy.

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 10:28 PM
stay strong man...it will work itself out, i'm sure

go bowe
12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
best wishes for your family...

greg63
12-10-2005, 02:07 AM
…Will do buddy; thoughts and prays go out to you all.

God Bless!

Rausch
12-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Done.

the Talking Can
12-10-2005, 04:20 AM
My thoughts are with you and your son, Dave.

Kids are amazingly resilent, I'm sure your son will be ok.

ExtremeChief
12-10-2005, 08:36 AM
you got it

kregger
12-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Dave, Good luck to you and your family. It's amazing how successful neurosurgery can be these days. Trust the docs and we'll be praying for you.

Mark M
12-10-2005, 10:09 AM
As a father of a 16-month old who has some health problems, I kinda know what you're going through.

Best of luck, and I'll be sending some positive thoughts your way.

MM
~~:thumb:

Coach
12-10-2005, 01:55 PM
My prayers are with you.

Vegas_Dave
12-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks all. It is so rough right now and absolutely near impossible to keep a calm demeanour. It sneaks up on my wife and I and will out of the blue be unable to do anything but cry.

Its tough.

By the way, his name is Carson. Here's a picture of him and his older brother (3 years old)

http://www.kesslermusic.com/carsonhayden.jpg

robags0817
12-10-2005, 08:29 PM
without a doubt I will light a candle for you guys tonight.

Old Dog
12-10-2005, 09:24 PM
You and your family will definitely be in my prayers tonight.

Gaz
12-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Your family will be in my thoughts.

xoxo~
Gaz
Would be dumbstruck with fear.

FloridaChief
12-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Best wishes...

plbrdude
12-10-2005, 10:23 PM
prayers for your boy and family

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Best wishes, and God bless.

Guru
12-10-2005, 10:38 PM
My families prayers are with you.

Otter
12-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Keeping you in our thoughts and sending good vibes your way.

Hang in there bro.

cdcox
12-11-2005, 01:08 PM
My prayers are with you guys. Hope everthing works out ok.

Jenny Gump
12-11-2005, 06:16 PM
My prayers are with you. I get caught up in all my piddly drama, then something like this knocks me into reality. I am so sorry you guys are going through this. My thoughts are with you man.

Sydd
12-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

As a dad whos son had to have surgery at three months, I can imagine a little of what you are going through and wish you the best.

Chief Faithful
12-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Done, a prayer has been sent. Although I don't know you I appreciate that fact that your hope led you to prayer. My prayer was someday you will be able to look back on this event as just a dim memory as your son grows up healthy and strong.

BigOlChiefsfan
12-12-2005, 08:33 PM
More good vibes your way.

ChiefsOne
12-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Thoughts and prayers.

Logical
12-14-2005, 01:25 AM
I would gladly take losing seasons for the next 10 years to hear your child has a fast and full recovery with minimal suffering. Best of luck to your family.

SCChief
12-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Prayers incoming.

Mr. Kotter
12-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I would gladly take losing seasons for the next 10 years to hear your child has a fast and full recovery with minimal suffering. Best of luck to your family.

Wow. Good for you, Vlad. :clap:

Although, I'd quibble over the word....."gladly".....

Rain Man
12-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Sorry to hear. Best of luck to you, and be happy that we have the technology to treat him. These are good times in which to live.

Vegas_Dave
12-15-2005, 06:43 PM
First, thank you to all that have offered their prayers and thoughts, and to those that have us in mind.

We had our first new consult with the surgeon. He made us aware that he wants to do this quick. This is because he claims to have seen clear fluid coming from the "stock" where the dermoid was growing from. His belief is that this is fluid from the brain.

So utmost urgency was his stressed point. We will be going in for a New MRI before Tuesday and then will be meeting with the Neurosurgeon within 2 days after that.

My guess is that this will happen before the end of the year (which will be nice since I have already hit my out of pocket maximum for the year on my insurance - though money is not my concern).

Again, thanks for all of your prayers and thoughts.

I have finally reached a point that I now know and accept that it is out of my hands. All I can do is make sure that I give my son the best surgeons possible... which I believe I have done. Since I am a believer, I have put my faith and trust in God. What more can I do but that.

So again, thanks and I will definately keep my ChiefsFamily informed.

Dave

mikey23545
12-16-2005, 06:41 AM
Best of luck to you and yours, Dave...You will be in our thoughts...

bogie
12-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Gosh this must be tough! Tons and Tons of positive thoughts for your son. I'm so sorry your baby boy has to go through this, it breaks my heart. Good luck on the procedure.

Rukdafaidas
12-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Prayers sent!
Best of luck to you, your son and father in law. Hang in there Dave!

J Diddy
12-17-2005, 02:49 PM
All will be better soon. God bless and be strong.

InChiefsHell
12-19-2005, 08:23 PM
May God grant you the strength and peace you need to deal with this and all the trials you will face in life. That's all I ever pray for myself, and I'm still standing. God Bless You!

Gary
12-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Although I don't know you Dave, I certainly know where you are coming from! My son had open heart surgery when he was 4 months old...then another surgery a month later to install a pacemaker. My wife & I went through every inch of that emotional rollercoaster that your family is traveling on now. During one of my worst nights, I was flipping through the channels & came across the Jim Valvano speech at the awards show with Dick Vitale. "Don't give up. Don't ever give up!"
Prayer feeds the spirit & nurtures the soul. Hold close to your faith & family my friend. I will most certainly pray for all the love & support that heaven can deliver to surround you & yours!

ROYC75
12-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Have faith Dave, God has magic hands .

harpes
12-22-2005, 10:21 AM
There will be lots of Prayers from your Chiefs family so keep the faith.

Halfcan
12-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Good luck you have my thoughts and prayers.