PDA

View Full Version : Trick Play?

SLAG
12-09-2005, 06:46 PM
during one of the games earlier this year (jets or oakland maybe) the opposing team tried a trick play and it didnt work...

Now I listen to Len and Mitch call the games every game, As the play deveops Lenny and mitch at the same time say "Trick play.... They Tricked themselfs" as the Chiefs D Blew up the Play

Now Last week, Denver Pulls Some Tricky (yet simple) Shit.

(we got beat on that play but we won the game)

So now here is a Two Part Question:

Do we see some Trickery from Parcells?
or
Do we see some from the chiefs?

Part 2

Whats your favorite trick play?

Redcoats58
12-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I like the flea flicker but I would rather just play some straight up football without trickery.

SLAG
12-09-2005, 06:59 PM
I like the flea flicker but I would rather just play some straight up football without trickery.

I think Father Dick would agree with you, and I cant recall a true trick play by the chiefs under Vermiel

jspchief
12-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Trick plays are for teams that can't move the ball the conventional way. Not really a problem for Vermeil's Chiefs.

DaFace
12-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I can't remember who, but it seems like someone on the Chiefs has thrown a pass (other than the QB of course) in the past year or two. That might be effective every once in a while. LT's certainly had some success at it.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I like the on side kick on the opening kickoff. Especially if you have a good defense..

SLAG
12-09-2005, 07:13 PM
I like the on side kick on the opening kickoff. Especially if you have a good defense..

(like rick james) COLD BLOODED!!!

Calcountry
12-09-2005, 07:13 PM
I like the on side kick on the opening kickoff. Especially if you have a good defense..Then why not take the wind and kick in the first half?

B_Ambuehl
12-09-2005, 07:28 PM
When Parcells is between the 50 and the opposing 40 he will often try a trick play or some type of gimmick play. He will most likely do so this weekend as the Chiefs D is probably a little more succeptible to that sort've thing then most teams.

jjchieffan
12-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I could be wrong. but it seems I remember Priest throwing a flea flicker once last year.

unlurking
12-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm with RedCoat58. Nothing more exciting than smash mouth physical attacking offense. Trick plays are kinda cute, but I much prefer watching the Chiefs line dominate the opponent.

Worst "trick" play has got to be that stupid double reverse AS loves so much.

Spicy McHaggis
12-09-2005, 07:44 PM
With Dante we don't really need it but I like the "Everyone gather around and then run like they have the ball" on the kick-off return. Trick plays are for backyard football games though.

Dunit35
12-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Some may say our trick play is the

fake handoff-fake reverse-screen play.

But I wouldnt really call that a trick play.

Valiant
12-09-2005, 07:57 PM
I want to see Dante do a throw back to another returner on a kickreturn ala the Titans or whoever did it...

Redcoats58
12-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I want to see Dante do a throw back to another returner on a kickreturn ala the Titans or whoever did it...
Well we did do that return reverse with Boe in 2003 that worked well.

ZootedGranny
12-09-2005, 08:12 PM
"I got some Jap plays for your ass, alright!"
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/bill_parcells_b.jpg

Boozer
12-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Trick plays are tough to pull off in the NFL...the defenses are just too fast.

SLAG
12-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Trick plays are tough to pull off in the NFL...the defenses are just too fast.

Thats why the Option is not an option

Hoover
12-09-2005, 08:28 PM
We had a garbage play in high school for extra points. You have the center in the middle of the field with the the QB in the shot gun behind him. You then have the rest of the oline on one hash, with the Running back behind them, then the the TE, FB and 2 WRs on the other hash. Its all fu@ked up, but worked once (The QB took the ball and ran it in) But it makes teams burn a TO, then we would just kick the FG.

kczoo
12-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Bump the hook and ladder

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 08:32 PM
Then why not take the wind and kick in the first half?
Do I really need to explain that to you, Clevis?

SLAG
12-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Do I really need to explain that to you, Clevis?

Why wouldnt you

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Trick plays are for teams that can't move the ball the conventional way. Not really a problem for Vermeil's Chiefs.
I'd love to coach against you.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Why wouldnt you
OK, for you dim bulbs. If you took the wind you would kick off. Then you onside kick. Comprehende, n00b?

SLAG
12-09-2005, 08:50 PM
OK, for you dim bulbs. If you took the wind you would kick off. Then you onside kick. Comprehende, n00b?

my comment was in agreeance with you

I prefer to kick so I could have the Ball the 2nd 1/2 half of the game

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 08:53 PM
This probably wouldn't work in the pros since they know who is who. But I've seen it work in high school. Just run a play wide that goes out of bounds and leave your WR out of bounds instead of going back to the huddle. Then bring the rest of the team right up on the sidelines holding their helmets by the facemasks. Have the WR stand just in bounds holding his helmet by the facemask. Just before the snap, the WR puts on his helmet and there he is, standing there all alone. You have to alert the officials to it though. On second thought, it wouldn't work in the pros since it is illegal to take off your helmet while on the field.

cdcox
12-09-2005, 08:58 PM
My favorite trick play was LJ's last second stab in the heart of the raiders. That is about as tricky as I get.

SLAG
12-09-2005, 09:00 PM
My favorite trick play was LJ's last second stab in the heart of the raiders. That is about as tricky as I get.

So right as the Christmas Season Starts you change your avatar?
:p

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Yeah, seedy, you're pretty dull. :p

cdcox
12-09-2005, 09:03 PM
So right as the Christmas Season Starts you change your avatar?
:p

Took down my outdoor Christmas lights just before Halloweeen. Thinking about putting them back up this weekend.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 09:05 PM
my comment was in agreeance with you

I prefer to kick so I could have the Ball the 2nd 1/2 half of the game
I'm sorry, I'm not used to people agreeing with me. I prefer to kick if I have a good defense. I prefer to receive if I have a good offense.

cdcox
12-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah, seedy, you're pretty dull. :p

That play was a heck of a lot more exciting than that fake reverse that Al Saunders runs twice a quarter, let me tell you.

jettio
12-09-2005, 09:12 PM
There was a pass to Dante in the last game that looked like an incomplete backwards pass.

That might have been a trick play, but the referree may not have been tipped off and he blew the whistle not realizing that it was not an incomplete forward pass.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 09:16 PM
The best trick play ever is the fumblerooski (sometimes called the Bummerooski in honor of Bum Phillips who used it a lot). The QB lets the center snap hit his hands then fall to the ground. Either guard then picks it up and goes around end with it. Only the QB and the guard knows it is going to happen. It works every time. I think the NFL has outlawed it, the pussies.

unlurking
12-09-2005, 09:27 PM
This probably wouldn't work in the pros since they know who is who. But I've seen it work in high school. Just run a play wide that goes out of bounds and leave your WR out of bounds instead of going back to the huddle. Then bring the rest of the team right up on the sidelines holding their helmets by the facemasks. Have the WR stand just in bounds holding his helmet by the facemask. Just before the snap, the WR puts on his helmet and there he is, standing there all alone. You have to alert the officials to it though. On second thought, it wouldn't work in the pros since it is illegal to take off your helmet while on the field.
OK Peyton.

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 09:30 PM

In the NFL, I'm pretty sure the WR would get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for being on the field with his helmet off...

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 09:31 PM
OK Peyton.
Duh. You're not very smart are you Forest?

unlurking
12-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Duh. You're not very smart are you Forest?
Trick plays are like a box of chocolates. You never know which kind you're gonna get, unless Al Saunders pick for ya. Then ya know you're gettin' a -2 yard out.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 09:34 PM
In the NFL, I'm pretty sure the WR would get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for being on the field with his helmet off...
You didn't read my last sentence now did you? Notice I didn't call you a dumbass, dumbass.

SLAG
12-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Trick plays are like a box of chocolates. You never know which kind you're gonna get, unless Al Saunders pick for ya. Then ya know you're gettin' a -2 yard out.

ROFL

Yes and when he isnt playing cute his calls go for much more than that

unlurking
12-09-2005, 09:36 PM
ROFL

Yes and when he isnt playing cute his calls go for much more than that
Yes, but those are the plays that come from the Bubba Shrimp freezer.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 09:43 PM
There was a pass to Dante in the last game that looked like an incomplete backwards pass.

That might have been a trick play, but the referree may not have been tipped off and he blew the whistle not realizing that it was not an incomplete forward pass.
Agreed. It was obviously a lateral after I saw it on the NFL replay last night. Anybody's ball. I'm shocked the Donx aren't bitching about it. Ah, they are probably too stupid to have noticed.

Boozer
12-10-2005, 07:27 AM
The best trick play ever is the fumblerooski (sometimes called the Bummerooski in honor of Bum Phillips who used it a lot). The QB lets the center snap hit his hands then fall to the ground. Either guard then picks it up and goes around end with it. Only the QB and the guard knows it is going to happen. It works every time. I think the NFL has outlawed it, the pussies.

I'm a big fan of snapping the ball to the up-man on a punt. The punter jumps up like it's a high snap, then runs back to "chase it down." Meanwhile, the up man runs a "toss right" play.

This wouldn't work in the NFL because bad snaps that go over the punter's head are extremely rare. And, again, the special teamers are so fast that they'd get the runner anyway.

KCChiefsMan
12-10-2005, 07:41 AM
I like the old RB pass, sorta like the one LT did on us this year. I think Tony G pulled it off before on a TE screen or something and Marcus Allen used to do it I think

Extra Point
12-10-2005, 07:44 AM
HB pass, as perfected by Marcus Allen.

Dartgod
12-10-2005, 08:31 AM
I could be wrong. but it seems I remember Priest throwing a flea flicker once last year.
I like the old RB pass, sorta like the one LT did on us this year. I think Tony G pulled it off before on a TE screen or something and Marcus Allen used to do it I think
Priest did it in 2003 at Arrowhead vs. the Donkeys to Kennison. But the TD call was reversed because Kennison only got one foot in bounds. That's the only one involving Priest that I can recall.

jjchieffan
12-10-2005, 08:45 AM
That's the one I remember. My memory was vague though. I couldn't remember the result of the play. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little trickery the next 2 weeks. DV will probably practice trick plays in preperation for Marty. We all know he(Marty) likes trick plays. LT has 3 TD passes this year.

I still laugh about that Bono bootleg TD against Arizona when Buddy Ryan was their coach.

CoMoChief
12-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Though the LT halfback pass seemed to get us for a TD.

We still can't stop the ****in bootleg!

Over-Head
12-10-2005, 08:48 AM
A great former Ra!der :evil:
Now ain't that a pip? ROFL

CoMoChief
12-10-2005, 08:49 AM
That's the one I remember. My memory was vague though. I couldn't remember the result of the play. I wouldn't be surprised to see a little trickery the next 2 weeks. DV will probably practice trick plays in preperation for Marty. We all know he(Marty) likes trick plays. LT has 3 TD passes this year.

I still laugh about that Bono bootleg TD against Arizona when Buddy Ryan was their coach.

WOW I remember that game, shit in fact I think I was at the game. I don't think that was supposed to be a trick play, but the whole defense bit on it so hard that it might have looked like one. Bono saw the wide open field, then just took off down the sideline. Kinda looked like a play you would do on Madden '04 with Vick.

kc hopeful
12-10-2005, 08:53 AM
What KCCHIEFSMAN and EXTRA POINT said-HB pass ie Allen, LT, and Galbraith at Mizzou!

Katie
12-10-2005, 08:56 AM
So, when Van Pelt came into the game on that TD play just before the half, why didn't our D call a timeout or make an adjustment?

RedDread
12-10-2005, 09:09 AM
Honestly the double fake reverse screen pass has served us well. I hope it's something that this team continues to use once or twice a year for as long as I watch them.

As for trick plays in general, my favorite has to be the HB direct snap while the QB is not under center.

I believe Kurt Warner did this a few years ago with the Rams. He stepped away from center to direct traffic and while he was on the end of the offensive line the ball was snapped to Marshall Faulk. It worked pretty well since they were all focused on him. Other than that it's a pretty standard running play.

morphius
12-10-2005, 09:15 AM
So, when Van Pelt came into the game on that TD play just before the half, why didn't our D call a timeout or make an adjustment?
One was they saw the number, and they thought it was a WR, the actually play was to go to Plummer expecting him to be uncovered. We had it played perfectly, except we were so spread out on the DL he was able to run up the middle.

Extra Point
12-10-2005, 09:36 AM

Yeah, all 73 yards. Bu**hole Ryan.

B_Ambuehl
12-10-2005, 09:55 AM
This probably wouldn't work in the pros since they know who is who. But I've seen it work in high school. Just run a play wide that goes out of bounds and leave your WR out of bounds instead of going back to the huddle. Then bring the rest of the team right up on the sidelines holding their helmets by the facemasks. Have the WR stand just in bounds holding his helmet by the facemask. Just before the snap, the WR puts on his helmet and there he is, standing there all alone.

When I was in high school we got beat in the 4th quarter of a tie football game and lost out on a playoff spot on account of that exact play.

Extra Point
12-10-2005, 10:00 AM
The lonesome end. We did it once in HS, and scored. It wasn't against your team.

Bob Dole
12-10-2005, 10:04 AM
In high school, we had an opponent take a kickoff and they all huddled up around the return guy. They then broke the huddle and by the time everyone figured out who the hell had the ball, it was too late to catch the speedy bastard.

Bob Dole thinks we might see Dallas keying so hard on stopping LJ that we could use the HB toss-back to Trent for a deep strike.

Thig Lyfe
12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Toss play to Rich Scanlon, he sprints to the sidelines, and then launches a 60-yard bomb to Rich Scanlon for the touchdown.

Boozer
12-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Thats why the Option is not an option

Nah, the option would still work if you had the right personnel running it. The problem is, no NFL team can afford to lose three or four QBs a season. The options problem isn't the speed of NFL defenses, it's how hard they hit.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Nah, the option would still work if you had the right personnel running it. The problem is, no NFL team can afford to lose three or four QBs a season. The options problem isn't the speed of NFL defenses, it's how hard they hit.

I agree hitting IS a part of the problem, but

Eh, speed is also part of the problem; in college, you can do it...because defenses usually only have two or three real gazelles that can run it down AND tackle. You block those guys, and you'll have success. In the NFL, generally, you have 5 or 6 guys with speed in the 4.5-4.6 neighborhood, and you simply can't block all of 'em.

Skip Towne
12-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Toss play to Rich Scanlon, he sprints to the sidelines, and then launches a 60-yard bomb to Rich Scanlon for the touchdown.
You forgot the fake handoff to Rich Scanlon.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2005, 01:18 PM
You forgot the fake handoff to Rich Scanlon.

No handoff needed; he purposely gets a defender to tip it to him....as he's sprinted down field to catch the ball he threw.

SPchief
12-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Trick Play? Topic Starter

SLAG02
Starter

Location: KC BABY during one of the games earlier this year (jets or oakland maybe) the opposing team tried a trick play and it didnt work...

Now I listen to Len and Mitch call the games every game, As the play deveops Lenny and mitch at the same time say "Trick play.... They Tricked themselfs" as the Chiefs D Blew up the Play

Now Last week, Denver Pulls Some Tricky (yet simple) Shit.

(we got beat on that play but we won the game)

So now here is a Two Part Question:

Do we see some Trickery from Parcells?
or
Do we see some from the chiefs?

Part 2

Whats your favorite trick play?

neg rep for thinking about this

4th and Long
12-11-2005, 04:01 PM
neg rep for thinking about this
AMEN!