PDA

View Full Version : Any good 'how to' A/Vphile websites?

memyselfI
12-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Anyone know of a good website where someone can learn about the new technologies that are out there and what is needed to make the most out of my new HDTV. I've got the thing hooked up and running with the HD channels from my cable company. The set looks great. But both the cable box and the TV have many inputs/outputs I'm not using. I'd like to learn about what goes there and more importantly which cords I need to be using to get maximum performance.

Thanks.

SLAG
12-10-2005, 11:55 PM
For best HD You should Connect the Box to the TV via DVI/HDMI or Componet Cables. Thats the best way to get the best quality pictures.

after that just make sure you are watching the correct HD channels!

Should be good to go.

Add in a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround or THX system and your SET!

AeroSquid
12-11-2005, 10:21 AM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

/thread

:)

Baby Lee
12-11-2005, 02:53 PM
audioasylum and hometheaterforum are good sites too.

memyselfI
12-11-2005, 10:30 PM
For best HD You should Connect the Box to the TV via DVI/HDMI or Componet Cables. Thats the best way to get the best quality pictures.

after that just make sure you are watching the correct HD channels!

Should be good to go.

Add in a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround or THX system and your SET!

OK, ok...these cables are confusing the chit out of me? Do I use one or the other and not both? I used the component cables that I had on my non-HDTV to hook up and it looks good. I already have a basic but good SS 5.1 system hooked up. Do I need to use the optical cables for this connection?

All, thanks for the tips and the websites. :clap:

SLAG
12-12-2005, 12:10 AM
OK, ok...these cables are confusing the chit out of me? Do I use one or the other and not both? I used the component cables that I had on my non-HDTV to hook up and it looks good. I already have a basic but good SS 5.1 system hooked up. Do I need to use the optical cables for this connection?

All, thanks for the tips and the websites. :clap:

Use One or the Other not both.
Make sure they are component and not RCA

To get true 5.1 you would need to use the optical in/output

Dartgod
12-12-2005, 08:55 AM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

/thread

:)
I second this.

When I was researching before the purchase of our HDTV, this site was freakin' awesome. And even after the purchase I frequented the place for advice on setting up the TV and info on local HDTV broadcasts. An absolutely fantastic forum. :thumb: