View Full Version : Merrill: Games against Dallas always special for Hunt

tk13
12-11-2005, 02:33 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13379026.htm

Are they still America's Team?
Victories against hometown team have always been special for Hunt

By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

The Preston Road trophy sits in a prominent place in Jerry Jones’ house, and he passes it every morning when he gets dressed. On the top is a green street sign. On the front is an inscription about friendship.

When Lamar Hunt had the trophy in his possession, he’d stick it in a bedroom window so Jones could see it as he drove by to work.

“It’s kind of an ‘el cheapo’ trophy,” Hunt said. “We kid each other about how coveted that trophy is. Obviously, it is. We always want to win every game.”

Forty-five years ago, two professional football teams coexisted in Hunt’s hometown of Dallas. Now the franchise ties boil down to a trophy between owners who live 300 yards apart in an upscale neighborhood on Preston Road in Dallas.

Hunt laughs when people ask whether today’s Chiefs-Cowboys game is special. Of course it is. Both teams are fighting for the playoffs. Both owners are ultracompetitive. But if you’re looking for rivalry smack, it won’t be found this week in Texas — especially from the men at the top.

Jones is planning a tribute to Hunt between the first and second quarters today. He wants to do it then, he said, because it’s the No. 1 time the fans are in their seats.

He plans to ask Hunt to do the coin toss. They’ve known each other for 40 years, since Hunt bought Jones a meal in Kansas City and gave the youngster some advice, and they’ve shared a few laughs along the way.

Last year, when the Cowboys beat Kansas City in the preseason, Hunt handed the trophy over at an SMU board of trustees meeting.

“I promised him he could come see it if he wanted to have a glass of tea or something,” Jones said.

“I like to win, but I think he’s the most competitive. Over the years, I’ve just come to respect that. What a great job he’s done with the fans and with that franchise in Kansas City. It’s one of the smallest markets in the NFL, yet it doesn’t reflect that at all. Lamar wouldn’t have it any other way. He’s really a treasure.”

Hunt moved his franchise out of Dallas in 1963 because the market couldn’t support two teams. In the last year of the Texans, with tickets going for $5, neither Hunt’s team nor the Cowboys put many fans in the stands.

Hunt says he never thinks about what could have been if he had left the team in Dallas. It wouldn’t have worked. Today, he takes a casual interest in the Cowboys because they’re all anybody talks about in his hometown.

But it’s obvious Hunt is a little more interested than he lets on. He quickly rattles off the fact that the Chiefs have won more games than the Cowboys in the 16 years since Jones has been in charge. He also knows Dallas has won more Super Bowls in that time.

“The wolf in sheep’s clothing,” Jones said. “I think of him that way.”

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil knows it’s important to Hunt. He compares it to beating the Broncos or the hated Raiders. He planned to talk to the team about what a win in Dallas would mean for their 73-year-old owner.

“If we know that Lamar is going to be in that box, and he’s going to be at the game,” Chiefs guard Brian Waters said, “his house is like 15, 20 minutes from the stadium. If you know the Hunt family is going to be there, believe me, between now and then there will be a lot more made of it.

“I think it will give the guys a good feeling to be able to win one for him.”

Six years ago, Hunt and Jones did joint speeches together to large groups around Dallas. Hunt would give the perspective of a founder and a pioneer in professional football. Jones did his bit as an owner who came into the league and spent a lot of money on his team.

“We had a great time doing that,” Jones said. “It kind of made for a nice little song-and-dance team. It was very rewarding for me. We did that about four times a year.”

And that was about as close as the Chiefs and Cowboys came to coexisting in one town. For three hours today, they’ll battle at Texas Stadium to stay alive for another week in the playoff race.

Then the Preston Road trophy will pass hands between friends.

“A win to Lamar Hunt is like a Super Bowl,” Vermeil said. “He has such a passion for this football team and this community and what he wants this community to enjoy and share in it on a weekly experience.

“To go to Dallas and win in his hometown would make him feel real happy, and we’d love to be able to do that.”

Deberg_1990
12-11-2005, 02:35 AM
Im guessing the last time we beat Dallas in Dallas was 1989???

Guru
12-11-2005, 02:40 AM

I think it was 75

Halfcan
12-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Been awhile that is for sure.

Lets win one for the old man-he deserves it-what a class act.

Count Alex's Losses
12-11-2005, 02:50 AM
ONE FREAKING ARTICLE?

God the KC Star website blows.

Ultra Peanut
12-11-2005, 02:51 AM
ULHoWA

Guru
12-11-2005, 02:53 AM
ONE FREAKING ARTICLE?

They are bad about that.:cuss:

tk13
12-11-2005, 02:58 AM
ONE FREAKING ARTICLE?

Well there was an article about Waters that wasn't too bad, then another from Posnanski debating whether the Cowboys were still America's Team. Have at it.

Rausch
12-11-2005, 03:09 AM
We're going to rape the Tuna so bad sunday Lamar will be able to save money on a rolling roof...

Guru
12-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Well there was an article about Waters that wasn't too bad, then another from Posnanski debating whether the Cowboys were still America's Team. Have at it.

Posnanski's article was boring. Not what was needed for today. That was a Thursday article at best.

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2005, 03:42 AM

1998 at Arrowhead

Guru
12-11-2005, 03:44 AM
1998 at Arrowhead

He was saying the last time we beat Dallas in Dallas. NOt in kC.

Rausch
12-11-2005, 03:51 AM
He was saying the last time

Has no impact on this time...

Guru
12-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Has no impact on this time...
Exactly right Rausch.

Just pointing out a reading error by ChiefsCountry is all.

Rausch
12-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Exactly right Rausch.

Good.

Ready your VCR's, your DVDR's, and your DVR's, this game is a ****ing blowout.

Big. HUGE.

Imagine John Holmes at a Girl Scout meeting...