PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Chiefs could clinch on Christmas Eve

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 06:54 AM
TOP OF THE MORNINí

Chiefs could clinch a playoff spot on Christmas Eve

Readers have asked about numerous playoff scenarios with the Chiefs, who complicated matters enormously (as did San Diego) by falling on Sunday.

But hereís a quick look at some possibilities.

One thing to remember about the Steelers: The Chiefs cannot lose any direct tie breaker to Pittsburgh if they win any two of their final three games. If the Chiefs finish 11-5 or 10-6 (and donít finish tied with San Diego), the Chiefs beat out Pittsburgh by virtue of a better conference record.

Hereís another scenario a reader asked about: The Chiefs lose at the Giants on Sunday but win their final two games and go 10-6. The Chargers beat Indy, lose to the Chiefs and then beat Denver to also go 10-6. Pittsburgh wins two of three to go 10-6.

In that three-way tie, Pittsburgh would get the final wild-card seed. (Weíre making an assumption in these scenarios that Jacksonville wins two of its final three games to go 11-5.)

First, the Chargers would beat out the Chiefs based on a better record in common games (5-3 to 4-4). The Steelers would beat out the Chargers for the sixth seed based on a head-to-head win.

Too complicated to follow?

OK, the easiest path is for the Chiefs, obviously, to simply win out. That eliminates the weird three-way tie breaker with the Steelers and Chargers because the Chiefs would move ahead of San Diego in the division, and as mentioned, they would beat out Pittsburgh in any such direct tie breaker.

Thereís still another path that isnít all that unlikely:

Pittsburgh loses this week at Minnesota, San Diego loses at Indianapolis, and the Chiefs rise up to win against the Giants. That would mean the Chiefs could clinch a playoff spot by beating the Chargers on Christmas Eve day at Arrowhead Stadium.

Would that be enough to fill your Christmas stocking?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13393542.htm

Bob Dole
12-13-2005, 06:57 AM
Until we can consistently stop shooting ourselves in the collective foot on the road, it's all moot because we'll be One and Done (again).

Count Alex's Wins
12-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Well that's comforting.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 07:01 AM
[QUOTE=siberian khatru]Thereís still another path that isnít all that unlikely: Pittsburgh loses this week at Minnesota, San Diego loses at Indianapolis, and the Chiefs rise up to win against the Giants. That would mean the Chiefs could clinch a playoff spot by beating the Chargers on Christmas Eve day at Arrowhead Stadium.

To me, this actually appears to be the best chance the Chiefs have. Pitt and SD losses this weekend are likely, but the Chiefs have to play perfect in NY to win.

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=siberian khatru]Thereís still another path that isnít all that unlikely: Pittsburgh loses this week at Minnesota, San Diego loses at Indianapolis, and the Chiefs rise up to win against the Giants. That would mean the Chiefs could clinch a playoff spot by beating the Chargers on Christmas Eve day at Arrowhead Stadium.

To me, this actually appears to be the best chance the Chiefs have. Pitt and SD losses this weekend are likely, but the Chiefs have to play perfect in NY to win.

They'll beat the Giants this week, getting our hopes up, and then shit the bed at home to SD. Antonio Gates 10 catches, 155 yards, 2 TDs.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 07:09 AM
They'll beat the Giants this week, getting our hopes up, and then shit the bed at home to SD. Antonio Gates 10 catches, 155 yards, 2 TDs.

ROFL OK, that made me laugh.

I'll worry about SD if the Chiefs win in NY. Really think the Chiefs will beat the Gnats?

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 07:15 AM
ROFL OK, that made me laugh.

I'll worry about SD if the Chiefs win in NY. Really think the Chiefs will beat the Gnats?

I just take 'em one game at a time, too. This franchise has given me no reason to invest long-term hope for them. As thrilled and impressed as I was with the Denver game, I was very nervous about the Dallas game even as some folks on here were fitting the Chiefs for playoff jerseys. My fears were borne out.

My head tells me that if we can't beat the Cowboys, which we should have, we won't beat the Giants. But my gut says that they'll just keep stringing us along enough to continue breaking our hearts. Hence, the half-joking scenario of beating the Giants and losing to SD.

Nothing this team does surprises me. Wins or losses.

MichaelH
12-13-2005, 07:22 AM

I would have said yes before the Dallas game. Now, I'm very skeptical. The Giants are banged up but we can't win on the road worth a shit this year.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 07:25 AM
My head tells me that if we can't beat the Cowboys, which we should have, we won't beat the Giants. But my gut says that they'll just keep stringing us along enough to continue breaking our hearts. Nothing this team does surprises me. Wins or losses.

That's almost verbatim what I told a friend yesterday.

Chan93lx50
12-13-2005, 07:41 AM
I would have said yes before the Dallas game. Now, I'm very skeptical. The Giants are banged up but we can't win on the road worth a shit this year.

Agreed

Pants
12-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Let's do it.

BigChiefFan
12-13-2005, 08:04 AM
We've won some games on the road. The Dolphins and Texans games come to mind.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Let's do it.

Nothing this team does surprises me. Wins or losses.

OK.

Chan93lx50
12-13-2005, 08:20 AM
I guess at least at this time of the year we are in the thick of things, unlike last year when we were all scratching our asses waiting for next season to come.

The thing that pisses me off is when this team can put someone away they don't. Ala Philly and now Dallas. With a win we could have fortified our spot in a the playoffs and we didn't.

donkhater
12-13-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm starting to think PIT isn't going to lose at MIN. Sure MIN is on a big winning streak, but the only win in that stretch that's impressive is at NYG and if any of you watched that game, I'll tell you that I've never seen a team totally just give a victory away like the Giants did that day.

Pants
12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm starting to think PIT isn't going to lose at MIN. Sure MIN is on a big winning streak, but the only win in that stretch that's impressive is at NYG and if any of you watched that game, I'll tell you that I've never seen a team totally just give a victory away like the Giants did that day.
What about us on Sunday?

donkhater
12-13-2005, 08:39 AM
What about us on Sunday?
I see it as pretty simple,

After SD losing to Miami, I'm not to worried about them beating IND and it goes without saying that KC must win that game.

So..

If KC wins Saturday, I'm feeling pretty good about KC's chances getting to the playoffs.

If KC loses, I'm rooting like hell for the Vikings. Should PIT lose, I'm back to feeling good.

if PIT wins, with game left against DET and CLE, even though KC wouldn't be mathematically eliminated, I got to believe their season ends after the CIN game.

Pants
12-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I see it as pretty simple,

After SD losing to Miami, I'm not to worried about them beating IND and it goes without saying that KC must win that game.

So..

If KC wins Saturday, I'm feeling pretty good about KC's chances getting to the playoffs.

If KC loses, I'm rooting like hell for the Vikings. Should PIT lose, I'm back to feeling good.

if PIT wins, with game left against DET and CLE, even though KC wouldn't be mathematically eliminated, I got to believe their season ends after the CIN game.

I meant the giving away a game away part. :)

BigRedChief
12-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Let's do it.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pear Harbor?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/trixiebelle/Animal20House.jpg

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 09:04 AM
...I'll tell you that I've never seen a team totally just give a victory away like the Giants did that day.

Let's see 'em do it again this Saturday.

BigRedChief
12-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Yep I like the hot Vikes against the Steelers on the carpet and the Colts say they are not going to rest their starters. They are going to play for 16-0.

Yep we beat the Giants and take the playoff spot on Christmas Eve. Very Cool. I like that scenerio.