PDA

View Full Version : An Appetizer for Giant Game Analysis

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Detailed game previews will probably be out on Wednesday, but here are some cursory stats to chew on:

KC Score O – 25 ppg (6) vs NY Score D – 19 ppg (11)…slight KC adv.
KC Rush O – 142 ypg (4) vs NY Rush D – 99 ypg (8)...slight KC adv
KC Pass O – 239 ypg (7) vs NY Pass D – 222 ypg (26)...big KC adv

NY Score O – 27 ppg (5) vs KC Score D – 22 ppg (24)...big Gnat adv
NY Rush O – 129 ypg (8) vs KC Rush D – 95 ypg (6)...wash
NY Pass O – 229 ypg (10) vs KC Pass D – 248 ypg (30)…big Gnat adv

NY Strengths
Homefield advantage
QB Manning - last 3 games: 54% comp, 3 TDs, 6 INTs
RB Barber - last 3 games: 4.4 ypc, 0 TDs
TE Shockey – last 3 games: 22 catches for 254 yds, 1 TD
WR Burress – last 3 games: 12 catches for 198 yds & 0 TDs
Defense – two sackmonsters: DE Strahan, DE Umenyiora (11.5 each)
Weather forecast - rain/snow Friday, 38 degrees and sunny Saturday.

NY Loss to Vikes 24-21:
Pass O – 291 yds, 1 TD, 4 INTs, 1.5 sacks
Rush O – 114 yds, 1 TD

NY Loss to Seahawks 24-21 OT:
Pass O – 344 yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 1 sack
Rush O – 151 yds

Key NY injuries:
as of 12/13: DT Joseph – ankle (D), MLB Pierce – ankle (Q), SS Williams – hamstring (D), OT Petitgout - back (Q), OT McKenzie - hamstring (Q), WR Taylor - knee (Q)

Key KC injuries:
as of 12/13: DE Hall - hamstring (Q)

NY defense worse than Dallas
NY offense better than Dallas.

Analyze away.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 07:11 AM
38 degrees and Sunny is the forecast for New Jersey on Saturday.

The day before is rain and snow so who knows what happens. Forecasts are a bitch.

greg63
12-13-2005, 07:26 AM
The next three weeks have got to be a "W".
-Captain Obvious

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 07:27 AM
38 degrees and Sunny is the forecast for New Jersey on Saturday.

The day before is rain and snow so who knows what happens. Forecasts are a bitch.

Thanks gochiefs. I'll edit.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Hopefully Eli will continue throwing those picks. But then again our DB have to catch them...........ahem, that means you Mr. Surtain who dropped a "pick six" that should've clinched the game.

greg63
12-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Nice analysis Warrior5. :thumb:

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Hopefully Eli will continue throwing those picks. But then again our DB have to catch them...........ahem, that means you Mr. Surtain who dropped a "pick six" that should've clinched the game.

You can bet Surtain is catching a ton of crap for that; bet there's some added emphasis on tip drills this week.

ck_IN
12-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Interesting side by side.

Offhand I'd say it favours the Giants. Not to mention I'd rate Coughlin as slightly better the Vermeil.

Eli is the key. He's still a 2nd year player. If he gets rattled and tosses quackers we win. If he impersonates his big brother, we're sunk.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 09:58 AM
Eli has 15 interceptions and completes only 52.6 percent of his passes.

The key is catching the interceptions this week.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Offhand I'd say it favours the Giants. Not to mention I'd rate Coughlin as slightly better the Vermeil.

Eli is the key. He's still a 2nd year player. If he gets rattled and tosses quackers we win. If he impersonates his big brother, we're sunk.

Agreed. Again, I see Gun periodically committing a LB to help our F4 get the needed pressure. Anyone have any intel on the NY O-line?

chefsos
12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
This was posted on a Giants board:

Tom Coughlin's Statement on Giants Injuries

December 13, 2005

“Antonio Pierce has a high ankle sprain. His status is going to be week to week, and I think his availability for this week would be doubtful at best. Luke Petitgout and Kareem McKenzie have been getting treatment for their injuries since Monday morning. They will continue to treat their injuries. They will basically be day to day, but we’re hopeful that they will be better by the end of the week. Luke’s back problems are very similar to the issues he has had in the past, and Kareem strained his hamstring. William Joseph also has an ankle sprain, and Jamaar Taylor has a bruise to his knee. We'll just see how it goes with the two of them. Other than that, we have the normal bumps and bruises and nicks that you would expect at this time of year.”

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
With Pierce out, I expect LJ to have a huge day.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 10:53 AM
December 13, 2005

“Antonio Pierce has a high ankle sprain. His status is going to be week to week, and I think his availability for this week would be doubtful at best. Luke Petitgout and Kareem McKenzie...will basically be day to day. Luke’s back problems are very similar to the issues he has had in the past, and Kareem strained his hamstring. William Joseph also has an ankle sprain, and Jamaar Taylor has a bruise to his knee."

Thanks for the updates chefsos.

chief118
12-13-2005, 11:07 AM
GREG WESLY HAS 6 INT SO MAYBE HE CAN KEEP IT UP AGAINST THE GIANTS

kregger
12-13-2005, 11:34 AM
We need to send DJ on a blitz like we did against Plummer early,early,early. That will get into head like nothing else.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
We need to send DJ on a blitz like we did against Plummer early,early,early. That will get into head like nothing else.

As I've said numerous times ad nauseum, I'd rather blitz with Bell inside the DE.

This continues to be one of the season's great mysteries to this D homer: Bell is useless in coverage, yet Gun will blitz the more agile Mitchell or Johnson, and leave Bell trying to catch the TE or RB out of the backfield. Bell's strength is at the LOS, where he kills people. Let the quicker LBs stay in coverage.

But the WTH do I know.

Wa-Z
12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
The way I look at it is...our defense has much improved since last year, the game against the cowboys was and will be their worst game, and since our offense is the best again we should have no trouble of winning any of these games.

Warrior5
12-13-2005, 05:12 PM
Welborn gets Strahan. Wonder if he has lined up across from him before.

Gut check time, Welborn.

tk13
12-13-2005, 05:17 PM

Of course, you've been here 5 years and in every single game we've ever played there is always something wrong. And saying Couglin is better than Vermeil is a joke.

CrazyHorse
12-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Welborn gets Strahan. Wonder if he has lined up across from him before.

Gut check time, Welborn.
I would think that Welbourne would have some knowledge of Strahan since he played for the Eagles before we got him. But I think Welbourne played mostly gaurd for the Eagles.

cookster50
12-13-2005, 06:02 PM
the game against the cowboys was and will be their worst game

Ummm, no. The game in Denver was the D's worst game. Get with the program.

ZootedGranny
12-13-2005, 06:07 PM
You have to take it with a grain of salt considering it was preseason, but last year Welbourne did just fine against Strahan.

If I were calling the game, I'd:

1. Stay with the bread and butter and keep running behind Roaf, taking it straight to Umenyiora.
2. Playaction.

My problem with Saunders this year, and for most of his tenure, is that he's afraid of being predictable. Completely understandable, as a major part of the Chiefs offense is creating mismatches and confusion. But I believe on some occasions this offense would be better suited just saying "We're going to run it right up your ass. Try and stop us."

The Bad Guy
12-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Of course, you've been here 5 years and in every single game we've ever played there is always something wrong. And saying Couglin is better than Vermeil is a joke.

I'm no Vermeil fan, but you're exactly right.

Saying Coughlin is better than Vermeil is a huge joke.

Warrior5
12-14-2005, 08:36 AM
Harmon picks the Giants.

Carry on.

milkman
12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm no Vermeil fan, but you're exactly right.

Saying Coughlin is better than Vermeil is a huge joke.

I've never been a fan of either Dick or Coughlin.

Dick has in the past had more success than Coughlin.

But right now, the Giants are playing better football overall than the Chiefs are, in the top 15 in both scoring O and D.

He may not be better, but right now he's getting better results.

phxchief
12-14-2005, 12:15 PM
You've got VERY flawed logic.

The difference between KC's scoring offense and NY's scoring defense is 6 points - you say "slight KC adv".

The difference between KC's scoring defense and NY's scoring offense is 5 points - you say "big NY adv".

Makes no sense.

Warrior5
12-14-2005, 12:44 PM
You've got VERY flawed logic.
The difference between KC's scoring offense and NY's scoring defense is 6 points - you say "slight KC adv".

The difference between KC's scoring defense and NY's scoring offense is 5 points - you say "big NY adv".
Makes no sense.

Hmm...
KC #6 Scoring O vs NY #11 Scoring D in their house, with Giant fans screaming their heads off (this ain't Dallas)...I'll stick with slight KC advantage.

NY #5 Scoring O vs KC #24 Scoring D...yep, big NY advantage, and I'm stickin' to it.

Forcing takeaways from an INT-prone Manning will be key to keeping Manning, Barber, and Burress off the field.

By all means, present your "logical" analysis.

Count Alex's Losses
12-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Manning's vastly overrated by the national media.

He's not very accurate.

Warrior5
12-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Manning's vastly overrated by the national media.

He's not very accurate.

Agreed, but NY is still #5 in scoring O. Chiefs MUST get some INTs Saturday.

Count Alex's Losses
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Agreed, but NY is still #5 in scoring O.

That's why our ****ing run defense better show up this week.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2005, 01:28 PM
That's why our ****ing run defense better show up this week.

I'm really not trying to start anything, but is it possible that our run defense was crap last week because of Sims? He didn't play that well, IMO, and was in for a lot of snaps. He didn't cause that much havoc. Coincidence, perhaps?

Count Alex's Losses
12-14-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm really not trying to start anything, but is it possible that our run defense was crap last week because of Sims? He didn't play that well, IMO, and was in for a lot of snaps. He didn't cause that much havoc. Coincidence, perhaps?

No. Most of the damage was done on draws and that long pitch play to Eric Hicks side of the field.

When Dallas ran it straight up they didn't do much.

BTW I talked to a Cowboys fan at the game and he said Marion Barber III deserves to be the starter and is by FAR the better RB.

The only reason Julius Jones gets in the game is because he was a high draft pick.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-14-2005, 02:09 PM
We played Dallas last week (media and NFL loved team) and now we play the Giants (another media and NFL loved team), a team in which the commish, Paul Tagliabue, gave an extra home game to for no logical reason whatsoever. Does anyone expect to get any favorable calls from the officials this game? I don't. We're gonna have to play mistake free football to the point where the officials can't even see any mistakes.

Warrior5
12-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Dawgs for this one according the cbssportsline:

BigRedChief
12-15-2005, 03:10 PM
7. Kansas City Chiefs at New York Giants, Saturday | Scouting reportLast Sunday's victory over the Eagles was costly for the Giants, who lost middle linebacker Antonio Pierce with a high ankle sprain. That's a big blow.

One big reason the defense has come together after a slow start is the excellent execution of the linebackers. Defensive coordinator Tim Lewis has been able to do a lot of good things with the defense because the linebackers are aggressive and do a good job of holding their gaps.

Often, the Giants can get enough pressure with seven players, leaving an extra defender to work into pass coverages. The other costly part of the win over the Eagles was the possible losses of left tackle Luke Petitgout (back) and right tackle Kareem McKenzie (hamstring). That's troublesome. Eli Manning tends to have problems when he's pressured, particularly with his feet. The Chiefs know that. Even if they can't get to him, they will try to get to his feet.

Manning is much less accurate when he's pressured because his footwork gets messed up. That's one of the reasons he is much better on longer passes than shorter passes. When given the time to take a deep drop for long patterns, Manning is deadly accurate. But everyone knows he needs work on the shorter passes, where his completions are just 50-50 propositions. Missing one or two offensive tackles could be a big issue.

If Petitgout and McKenzie can't play, the Giants will make three changes on the offensive line. David Diehl would move from left guard to right tackle, Bob Whitfield would play left tackle and Jason Whittle would be the left guard. This will be Manning's ninth home game (including the Giants' Week 2 game against the Saints). In those eight games, he's completed less than 50 percent of his passes, connecting on 129 of 260 passes for 1,654 yards and 14 touchdowns.

The Chiefs sense blood, and frankly, they have to. This is a critical game for them. The Chiefs are 8-5 and a loss could put their playoff hopes in jeopardy. But a win would be huge. Their final two games are at home, where they are 5-1