PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays?

c13zephyr
12-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Hmmm... If it is now a "holiday tree" is it also "holiday candlesticks" instead of a menorah and "holiday colorful robes" instead of kwanzaa gear?

Funny their trying to take religion out of the season by saying "happy holidays" when the root of holiday is HOLY!

Also I always thought of "Happy Holidays" as meaning, "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year"

Sheesh!

chagrin
12-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Oh boy, here we go

c13zephyr
12-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah, here we go. It's rediculous, that everyone in the world has to water everything down. Hasn't anyone noticed that since all this desensitization has occurred things have only gotten worse? Let everyone celebrate what they want and say what they want.

c13zephyr
12-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Go Here

http://livinginthepast.us/?p=347

Click on Larry's Night b4 Xmas

Rain Man
12-13-2005, 10:27 AM
I have embraced a Santa-centric religion. It seems to tie together all of the good stuff about holidays without having to worry about all that other stuff.

Reaper16
12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
People that actually want the Christian holiday of Chirstmas to be done with are so few in number its not worth talking about. Its just a strawman argument built up by O'Reily and his peers. They talk big against it because they know their enemy doesn't actually exist.

Saulbadguy
12-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I don't get why Wal-Mart says "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas. What are they afraid of, offending Jewish people? I mean come on...if you are Jewish and at Wal-Mart, maybe things aren't going exactly as you planned.

Saulbadguy
12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Let everyone celebrate what they want and say what they want.
They pretty much do. Companies have the choice to put "Happy Holidays" on their merchandise and stores.

StcChief
12-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Merry Christmas.

These PC folks can KMA.

Reaper16
12-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't get why Wal-Mart says "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas. What are they afraid of, offending Jewish people? I mean come on...if you are Jewish and at Wal-Mart, maybe things aren't going exactly as you planned.
ROFL ROFL

Saulbadguy
12-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Merry Christmas.

These PC folks can KMA.
Uh..where is my Happy New Years wish, you bastard?

kregger
12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I have embraced a Santa-centric religion. It seems to tie together all of the good stuff about holidays without having to worry about all that other stuff.
Are you sure we can't interest you in the St Nicholas sect?

chagrin
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah, here we go. It's rediculous, that everyone in the world has to water everything down. Hasn't anyone noticed that since all this desensitization has occurred things have only gotten worse? Let everyone celebrate what they want and say what they want.

Just so you know, I wasn't speaking against you but I figured this would get ugly eventually.

Donger
12-13-2005, 10:42 AM
I mean come on...if you are Jewish and at Wal-Mart, maybe things aren't going exactly as you planned.

ROFL

deadbabyseal
12-13-2005, 10:43 AM
I was actually suprised when I went to Wal-mart this morning and saw a sign inside the front door that said "Wal-mart wishes you a merry Christmas". The anti-pc backlash might be getting their attention.

Dartgod
12-13-2005, 10:43 AM
I mean come on...if you are Jewish and at Wal-Mart, maybe things aren't going exactly as you planned.
That's funny, right there. I don't care who you are.

chagrin
12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
People that actually want the Christian holiday of Chirstmas to be done with are so few in number its not worth talking about. Its just a strawman argument built up by O'Reily and his peers. They talk big against it because they know their enemy doesn't actually exist.

And no offense intended to you personally Reaper, but that is a ridiculous statement considering the fact that in every major city in the USA there are lawsuits being filed to remove the term Merry Christmas from department stores, schools, and practically every marketing firm in the country, and practically every major Corporation selling a product is looking for ways to not offend the "small amount" of people looking to change and/or remove that phrase.

This is just one of those topics that will be debated ad nauseum for the next decade I'm afraid, with no real solution in sight.

As a matter of fact, I can already smell 2 folks in particular (with 3 or 4 parroting them) pulling up to the thread now.

I say Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever the situation calls for since everyone does not celebrate Christmas.

Thig Lyfe
12-13-2005, 10:48 AM

I saw Last Laugh 05, too. It was pretty funny.

BigRedChief
12-13-2005, 10:51 AM
free christmas ecards

http://www.ecardfunny.com/html/Christmas-Cards.html

jspchief
12-13-2005, 10:52 AM
I don't really have a problem with "Merry Christmas".

But if these damn bible beaters don't stop coming to my door to hand out f*cking literature, my dog is going to start making some headlines. The curse of living in a town with a bible college I guess....

Reaper16
12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
...in every major city in the USA there are lawsuits being filed to remove the term Merry Christmas...
Dude, there are all kinds of stupid lawsuits filed against all kinds of things. These aren't going to go anywhere or change anything. In most cases, I bet its one radical group of idiots filing suits in multiple cities. I'm telling you, these people that want to deny Christmas are extremely few in number.
Its kind of like people who are firmly against affirmative action, and blame them not getting hired because of it, etc. Thats fine and good, except that affirmative action really isnt being used anymore, almost at all, and the Supreme Court has shot it down time and time again.
Strawmen.

joesomebody
12-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I know in the military now that saying Christmas anything is grounds for murder... seriously its getting crazy. Especially after all that backlash concerning the Air Force Academy pushing religion supposedly, especially the football team.

It's so bad now, that our annual Christmas Party became a "Holiday Party" and then it was decided that it was bad PR to think we were having a party so now it is officially a "Holiday Social."

BTW... Kwanza I think is the only safe holiday, because it is non religious based I beleive. I'm not sure, but I think its some sort of harvest celebration or something, but non-religious in nature.

sedated
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I celebrate christmas, so Merry F*cking Christmas.

If you don't like me saying something nice, then go f*ck yourself

gblowfish
12-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Wow...I think Sedated's true identity is either Mr. Garrison on South Park, or Dick Cheney!

BigRedChief
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM

You guys see the new Christmas special on the comedy central "Dennis Leary's Merry F*cking (F@cking) Christmas"? It was hilarious.

Rain Man
12-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Are you sure we can't interest you in the St Nicholas sect?

No way. You orthodox people are nuts. Making the sign of the sleigh from left to right instead of right to left is just one of many signs of who backwards the St. Nicholasists are. We Santaists reject your 4th-century dogma.