PDA

View Full Version : Ouch - Denver loses Darrent Williams for 6 weeks

Mile High Mania
12-13-2005, 11:57 AM
I know... this is a Chiefs' board, but I'm sure this topic would have been started eventually. It sounds like Denver will be without rookie CB Darrent Williams for 6 weeks. It appears he has tears (yes, plural) in his groin. (yowzers) Likely, meaning that if Denver is able to secure the division and the #2 seed... he might be back for that 2nd round playoff game.

However, losing him creates issues down the final 3 games in regards to playoff seeding. I was already concerned that the long season would be catching up to the rookies in the secondary. And, that's why I really didn't understand the desire to just let Walls go...

This is something that will likely bite them in the ass. I think the young secondary has done well, but Denver was already giving up big yards in the passing game and this sure as hell doesn't help.

We'll see how it plays out, but this hurts the secondary and the return game... :shake:

Ok - now flame away and pronounce that Denver is dead and will lose the next 3.

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
The Broncos are imploding!

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 11:59 AM
MHM didn't mention the important fact that Williams is a starting CB.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2005, 12:00 PM
gocheefs... I think that's pretty common knowledge to most people that follow the AFCW. If he were a backup, I doubt that I would have posted the thread.

dirk digler
12-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Big loss but I think Denver will be fine. You never fully recover from a groin injury during the season so this will hurt come playoff time.

Taco John
12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
MHM didn't mention the important fact that Williams is a starting CB.

He also didn't mention the fact that Mike Shanahan is coaching the team, while we're talking about stuff that everybody already knows...

Count Alex's Losses
gocheefs... I think that's pretty common knowledge to most people that follow the AFCW. If he were a backup, I doubt that I would have posted the thread.

I doubt most people here knew that he was a starter...just trying to clear it up. :)

chagrin
I'm not saying I'm happy he's hurt or anything, but anything that hurts you guys is ok by me.

Pretty damn good rookie player too, as much as I hate saying it.

Count Alex's Losses
He also didn't mention the fact that Mike Shanahan is coaching the team, while we're talking about stuff that everybody already knows...

This isn't a Broncos board. I doubt everyone here knows all the Bronco starters. Just trying to help! :) :) :) :)

jspchief
12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Good.

Mile High Mania

Dammit... I did fail to mention that. My bad.

siberian khatru
This isn't a Broncos board. I doubt everyone here knows all the Bronco starters. Just trying to help! :) :) :) :)

Yeah, it's not like we just played them a week ago or anything. :p

Mile High Mania
12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm not saying I'm happy he's hurt or anything, but anything that hurts you guys is ok by me.

Pretty damn good rookie player too, as much as I hate saying it.

Yeah, he's turned out to be a hell of a player for a 5'8 midget corner. Most folks laughed at the pick, but he's a keeper.

chagrin

WHAT?

greg63
I know... this is a Chiefs' board, but I'm sure this topic would have been started eventually. It sounds like Denver will be without rookie CB Darrent Williams for 6 weeks. It appears he has tears (yes, plural) in his groin. (yowzers) Likely, meaning that if Denver is able to secure the division and the #2 seed... he might be back for that 2nd round playoff game.

However, losing him creates issues down the final 3 games in regards to playoff seeding. I was already concerned that the long season would be catching up to the rookies in the secondary. And, that's why I really didn't understand the desire to just let Walls go...

This is something that will likely bite them in the ass. I think the young secondary has done well, but Denver was already giving up big yards in the passing game and this sure as hell doesn't help.

We'll see how it plays out, but this hurts the secondary and the return game... :shake:

Ok - now flame away and pronounce that Denver is dead and will lose the next 3.R.I.P.

Seriously, that is a monster injury, but Denver is still, at the moment, looking at a brighter play off picture than the Chiefs are. Although, this is the type of thing that could certainly aid us down the stretch.

-Capt. Obvious

siberian khatru
WHAT?

You know him as "the Rat."

Mile High Mania
Good.

Heh ... how important is that missed 41 yarder now?

dirk digler
12-13-2005, 12:05 PM

Nice sig TJ.

nlm

morphius
I'm still trying to figure out why he was crying on his groin?

Count Alex's Losses
Heh ... how important is that missed 41 yarder now?

Not very. We still control our own destiny.

I'll be pissed about the Cowboys loss if the Broncos win the division because of it.

ceebz
12-13-2005, 12:06 PM
meh. Williams is overrated anyway. Foxworth is just as good.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM

I'll be pissed about the Cowboys loss if the Broncos win the division because of it.

If there are discussions of tiebreakers... you don't control your own destiny. Controlling your own destiny is having a 2 game divsional lead with 3 games left. And, prepare to be pissed about the Cowboys' loss.

dirk digler
12-13-2005, 12:08 PM

IMO we did lose the division because of it.

2 games down with only 3 to go.

Not very good odds IMO.

siberian khatru
12-13-2005, 12:09 PM
And, prepare to be pissed about the Cowboys' loss.

And the Eagles loss ... and the Buffalo loss ...

greg63
Good.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Your sensitivity is overwhelming. :D

Count Alex's Losses
If there are discussions of tiebreakers... you don't control your own destiny.

If we win out, we're in. That's being in control of your own destiny.

dirk digler
12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
If we win out, we're in. That's being in control of your own destiny.

We don't win the division though. That is what MHM is talking about I believe.

shaneo69
12-13-2005, 12:11 PM
It sounds like Denver will be without rookie CB Darrent Williams for 6 weeks. It appears he has tears (yes, plural) in his groin.

What a wuss. Champ Bailey laughs off minor injuries like that every week.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
We don't win the division though. That is what MHM is talking about I believe.

Well, we haven't controlled our own destiny in that regard for weeks now.

We control our own destiny as it pertains to getting in the playoffs. That is what I was talking about.

morphius
12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
If there are discussions of tiebreakers... you don't control your own destiny. Controlling your own destiny is having a 2 game divsional lead with 3 games left. And, prepare to be pissed about the Cowboys' loss.
No, the pissed would be the Bills game.

jspchief
12-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Heh ... how important is that missed 41 yarder now?You mean in terms of our chances of winning the division?

I don't think the loss of Williams changes the winner of the AFC West. The Broncos are still going to win it. The Chiefs and the Chargers are too inconsistent to have wrestled it away, regardless of a healthy or injured midget.

dirk digler
12-13-2005, 12:13 PM

Yep but I was more pissed about the Dallas game than any game this year.

Iowanian
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Boom goes the dyn-o-mite.

Nothing would please me more than to see Denver take a nose dive and burn in to end the season. The Planet hating douchebags from the mange deserve every ounce of that agony.

StcChief
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Yeah. life in the NFL.
Dodging the injury bug.

We lose Gammon, (probably cost us in Dallas).

Fire Me Boy!
12-13-2005, 12:16 PM
You guys are better off for it... Darrent Williams has lost his second level burst.

Amnorix
12-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Yeah, he's turned out to be a hell of a player for a 5'8 midget corner. Most folks laughed at the pick, but he's a keeper.

The little b***tard impressed me when the Pats played the Broncos, that's for sure.

Iowanian
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Dallas is an understandable loss at this point for me.

If the Chiefs miss the playoffs by 1 game, I'll place that blame souly on the L at Buffalo, and the Shouldabeen vs the iggles.

shaneo69
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM

I think you meant "teh pissed".

dirk digler
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Dallas is an understandable loss at this point for me.

If the Chiefs miss the playoffs by 1 game, I'll place that blame souly on the L at Buffalo, and the Shouldabeen vs the iggles.

I agree somewhat, there was no way in hell we should have blown a 17 point lead against the Eagles but we should have beat the Cowboys by 2 TD's at least.

Now we are in trouble because we have to go to NY and they are alot better than the Cowpokes.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2005, 12:23 PM
You guys are better off for it... Darrent Williams has lost his second level burst.

This is true.

I didn't find the thread on the playoff situation, but it looks like the AFC Division Winners will be - Indy, Cincy, New England and Denver. Leaving 2 spots for...

Jags - 9 wins
Steelers - 8 wins
Chiefs - 8 wins
Chargers - 8 wins

The Jags should win out vs the 49ers, Texans and Titans. But, worst case I think they go 2-1 giving them 11 games.

SD has a damn tough road @ Indy and then @ KC before hosting Denver. They could very well go 1-2 over that stretch, I think they're a non-factor at this point.

So, that leaves the Steelers with games vs Vikings, Browns and Lions. Those are 3 winnable games. Worst case they go 2-1.

So, I see Jags with 11 wins and Steelers with 10 wins...

However, if Pitt gets 11 wins... and KC pulls off the hat trick, do they really trump either the Jags or Steelers? I'm guessing so since you guys are making the claim.

The game at NY will be damn tough though. The Giants can do everything that Dallas did against KC.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 12:26 PM
However, if Pitt gets 11 wins... and KC pulls off the hat trick, do they really trump either the Jags or Steelers?

Yes. We would win the conference tiebreaker over Pittsburgh. I don't know on Jacksonville but they will probably win out so it doesn't matter.

The game at NY will be damn tough though. The Giants can do everything that Dallas did against KC.

They are a good team, but I wouldn't go that far. Manning's only completed 52 percent of his passes and has 15 INTs, 6 in the last 3 games.

Their D is also nowhere near as good as the Cowboys, and their middle linebacker is out for the game.

KCTitus
12-13-2005, 12:27 PM
The Philly loss is the one that got away...if KC misses by one game, that's the game.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 12:29 PM
If Jacksonville lost to an AFC club and KC won out, KC would get the 5th seed instead of the 6th.

All that would really do is determine who KC plays in the postseason.

I guess I'd rather get the 5th seed and play New England instead of Cincinatti.

King_Chief_Fan
12-13-2005, 12:31 PM
This is true.

I didn't find the thread on the playoff situation, but it looks like the AFC Division Winners will be - Indy, Cincy, New England and Denver. Leaving 2 spots for...

Jags - 9 wins
Steelers - 8 wins
Chiefs - 8 wins
Chargers - 8 wins

The Jags should win out vs the 49ers, Texans and Titans. But, worst case I think they go 2-1 giving them 11 games.

SD has a damn tough road @ Indy and then @ KC before hosting Denver. They could very well go 1-2 over that stretch, I think they're a non-factor at this point.

So, that leaves the Steelers with games vs Vikings, Browns and Lions. Those are 3 winnable games. Worst case they go 2-1.

So, I see Jags with 11 wins and Steelers with 10 wins...

However, if Pitt gets 11 wins... and KC pulls off the hat trick, do they really trump either the Jags or Steelers? I'm guessing so since you guys are making the claim.

I think they have an edge over Pitt due to the AFC wins an losses.
I saw it on sports illustrated.

Mile High Mania
12-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I think you're under estimating the Giants at home. They have essentially the same type of defensive and offensive power that Dallas has right now and will present similar issues for KC.

Manning and Plax have cooled off, but Toomer and Shockey have been doing pretty well. Defensively, yes they lost a LB, but at home they are a tough team.

Manning does have 6 INTs in the last 3... 5 INTs in the last 2 alone.
Suprisingly, 10 of Eli's INTs have been in NY ... with 4 going to the freaking Vikings.

Eli needs to prove he's a playmaker down the stretch, there's no doubt about it. I'm sure KC will see a lot of Barber and Jacobs, and after watching Witten and Cambell do pretty well, you can imagine Shockey will have a prominent role.

There's really no telling which Eli shows up, he's been very sporadic, but the weapons are there. Thinking they'll be an easier matchup for KC that Dallas was is kinda crazy if you ask me.

ceebz
12-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Thinking they'll be an easier matchup for KC that Dallas was is kinda crazy if you ask me.

I agree. Especially considering the way the Chiefs perform on the road. The best team KC's beat on the road this year is, Miami. http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

dirk digler
12-13-2005, 12:40 PM
I think you're under estimating the Giants at home. They have essentially the same type of defensive and offensive power that Dallas has right now and will present similar issues for KC.

Manning and Plax have cooled off, but Toomer and Shockey have been doing pretty well. Defensively, yes they lost a LB, but at home they are a tough team.

Manning does have 6 INTs in the last 3... 5 INTs in the last 2 alone.
Suprisingly, 10 of Eli's INTs have been in NY ... with 4 going to the freaking Vikings.

Eli needs to prove he's a playmaker down the stretch, there's no doubt about it. I'm sure KC will see a lot of Barber and Jacobs, and after watching Witten and Cambell do pretty well, you can imagine Shockey will have a prominent role.

There's really no telling which Eli shows up, he's been very sporadic, but the weapons are there. Thinking they'll be an easier matchup for KC that Dallas was is kinda crazy if you ask me.

Yep Dallas was the easier matchup and we should won.

bkkcoh
12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
The Philly loss is the one that got away...if KC misses by one game, that's the game.

The Buffalo loss was worse to the Chiefs than the Eagles (with the exception though of it being in KC and all). Losses within the conference are always worse.

Archie F. Swin
12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm guessing Derent Williams got hurt when that QB pwned him back in week 13?

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Thinking they'll be an easier matchup for KC that Dallas was is kinda crazy if you ask me.

Their D is not at the level of the Cowboys, especially with Antonio Pierce out of the game.

The way I see it, the Giants have a superior offense but an inferior defense when compared to the Cowboys.

I think it will be shootout, and I'll take Trent Green over Eli Manning any day.