PDA

View Full Version : Playoff's (bye's & wild cards)

Ralphy Boy
12-13-2005, 07:48 PM
So I'm thinking about the seeding and it looks like:
First round bye's go to Indy & Denver. Denver is tied with the Bengals at 10 & 3, but Denver has the better conference record. If we get into the playoffs via a win over the Bengals, and Denver loses to the Chargers, they'll still get the bye. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wild card matchup: Jags (very soft schedule: 49rs, @ Texans, Titans) @ New England.
Of the three teams left trying to get in, I'm looking at their schedules and here's what I think:
San Diego - We have a hard schedule, but I think San Diego has it worse down the stretch & doesn't get in, they play @ Indy this weekend, @ KC, followed by Denver at home. Can't see them winning but one of those & it won't be at Indy.

Steelers - could lose this weekend, but I think if they do win at Minnesota, they'll win @ Cleveland, followed by a potential clincher at home against Detroit. They can't end up with a better conference record than us, with them having only one more in conference game and sitting at 6&5 and us at 7&3. So if we both win out, we are in.

KC - I can honestly see us winning all of our next 3 games, but each week will be harder than the previous. Manning has struggled of late, tossing 3 picks @ Philly and he threw 2 picks the week before at home against the Cowboys. I do think Tiki becomes the first to rush for a 100 on us (as will LT the next week) but with Pierce likely out, LJ will have a big day trying to redeem himself from the missed block on Fujita. There is also a blurb on foxsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team?statsId=19) that says Shockey is questionable. :grovel:
San Diego is going to get pounded this weekend and hopefully it demoralizes them to the point of no repair.
Cincy is our biggest challenge but they are likely to be without Chris Perry until the playoffs and Rudi Johnson doesn't scare me since he's more of a between the tackles guy. Our problems against the run are against faster RB's who can get outside. Carson Palmer did show he's not perfect last week only throwing for 93 yards, 1 TD & 1 pick...then again against our secondary... My second biggest fear against them is Deltha O'Neal having another career day against Green. My biggest fear is Chad Johnson making & delivering on another guarantee. Their O line is stout and Palmer could pick us apart if given all day. We'll have to disguise some blitzes better than we have & given that Perry, their 3rd down back will be out, we could have some success. If they start running multiple receiver sets and God forbid open the game that way like they did Indy, it'll be a long day.

So then if we somehow make it thru all that, we'd turn around and go to Cincy for our wild card game, followed by @ Indy & @ Denver for the AFC Championship game.

Should be easy enough.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
I'd like to see Jacksonville lose one of their AFC games while KC wins out. We get the 5th seed in that event, and go to New England instead of Cincy.

I don't think anyone here wants to play Cincy instead of New England.

philfree
12-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Steelers - could lose this weekend, but I think if they do win at Minnesota, they'll win @ Cleveland, followed by a potential clincher at home against Detroit. They can't end up with a better conference record than us, with them having only one more in conference game and sitting at 6&5 and us at 7&3. So if we both win out, we are in.

I don't know why but I thought the Steelers had the tie-breaker on us.

PhilFree:arrow:

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't know why but I thought the Steelers had the tie-breaker on us.

Nope.

philfree
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Nope.

So in essence we still control our own destiny. We win three and we're in! Go Vikings! Go Colts!..............Go Chiefs!

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 08:15 PM
So in essence we still control our own destiny. We win three and we're in! Go Vikings! Go Colts!..............Go Chiefs!

We don't need any help from anyone if we want that 6th seed.

Now, it'd be nice if Jacksonville laid an egg in Houston or against Tennessee. They do that, and we win out, we get the 5th seed.

chiefsfaninNC
12-13-2005, 08:19 PM
I don't want NE at home, getting healthy, and with revenge on their minds for the defeat at Arrowhead. I would rather see Cincy then Indy.

Count Alex's Losses
12-13-2005, 08:31 PM
I don't want NE at home, getting healthy, and with revenge on their minds for the defeat at Arrowhead. I would rather see Cincy then Indy.

Cincy's offense is lethal. Beating them in back-to-back weeks will be almost impossible.

Ralphy Boy
12-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Cincy's offense is lethal. Beating them in back-to-back weeks will be almost impossible.

Yeah, imagine beating Cincy @ KC, Cincy @ Cincy, Indy @ Indy & Denver @ Denver.

chiefsfaninNC
12-13-2005, 09:07 PM

Good offense but no D. Sound familiar? 2 weeks in a row or not I still like our chances better against them. No way I want to play the champs in Foxboro in January.

tk13
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I'd like to see Jacksonville lose one of their AFC games while KC wins out. We get the 5th seed in that event, and go to New England instead of Cincy.

I don't think anyone here wants to play Cincy instead of New England.
I think I would, but we'll see. I think New England is going to be a dangerous team. Nobody's even talking about them either. We'll see how they play Tampa Bay this weekend, that'll be a good gauge of where they are with their guys getting healthy again. If they bomb this weekend, maybe they will be an easy out.

I don't think New England is going to win the Super Bowl but I think they could throw a big kink in things. They could very well have that last week off to rest up for the playoffs, allow Belichick an extra week to come up with a game plan, and then host that first game. I'd rather play an untested Cincy team over New England coming off a "bye" in their house if they're healthy and clicking.

philfree
12-13-2005, 09:31 PM
We don't need any help from anyone if we want that 6th seed.

Now, it'd be nice if Jacksonville laid an egg in Houston or against Tennessee. They do that, and we win out, we get the 5th seed.

I take any help we can get. It went perfect last week except that one big factor of the Chiefs winning :banghead: To me it looks like we'll have a chance for a similar scenario this week. Except Jacksonville probably won't lose. That said any outcome is possible in any of the games. We should have took advantage last week :banghead: