PDA

View Full Version : Carl Pete: Make Brad Smith a Chief!

Hal McRae
12-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Folks, we've had a great run with our 5th round picks since 1996. Actually, it's been amazing, considering most 5th rounders don't ever make it beyond 1 or 2 seasons covering kick and punts.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/KC

So, I want that streak to continue and propose we use a 5th round pick (assuming he's available) on Mizzu quarterback Brad Smith.

Let's keep this elite athlete in state and just find a place for him to play, in the same way the Steelers found a place for Hines Ward and Randle-El.

I was reading a draft site and in their news notes they said a couple things:

1) Some top All-Star games are considering Smith as a wide receiver

2) NFL scouts see him as a sure pick and may play him at safety.

Source: http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

Either way, bring this cat to K.C and we'll find a place for him to play :toast:

P.S: Anybody think Smith can be an NFL QB?

Sully
12-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I can't imagine him as anything but a reciever.

Count Alex's Losses
12-16-2005, 11:51 AM
Can he play DB? Because he's not an NFL QB.

Mr. Laz
12-16-2005, 11:52 AM
free safety?

Hal McRae
12-16-2005, 12:04 PM
I can't imagine him as anything but a reciever.

I don't disagree with you Sully.....But the link from that draft site qoutes Charlie Armey saying NFL teams like him as a safety.

I think that same site (Draftdaddy.com) quoted a NFL scout saying teams love Penn State QB as a safety.

Personally, I think position switches are real risky to begin with.....Moving a player from offense to defense makes it much harder -- Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, am I missing someone?

Last QB to DB that went well in the NFL, I read, is former Kansas QB Nolan Cromwell -- that was the 1970's, however :Peace:

Saulbadguy
12-16-2005, 12:22 PM
No and no.

RedDread
12-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Local =/= good

Bob Dole
12-16-2005, 12:28 PM
He's definitely not an NFL QB. Bob Dole wouldn't be opposed to picking him up in a late round as a WR prospect, though.

King_Chief_Fan
12-16-2005, 12:39 PM
He's definitely not an NFL QB. Bob Dole wouldn't be opposed to picking him up in a late round as a WR prospect, though.

what Bob Dole said

Kerberos
12-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Just what we need .... Yet ANOTHER TWEENER.

:banghead:

JUST SAY "NO"

Dammit Carl :cuss:

Dartgod
12-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Either way, bring this cat to K.C and we'll find a place for him to play...
Sammy, is that you?

http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/nsegerli/sammyDavisJr.jpg

Hal McRae
12-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Just what we need .... Yet ANOTHER TWEENER.

:banghead:

JUST SAY "NO"

Dammit Carl :cuss:

I respectfully disagree RXrider....

The term "tweener" is used to portray a player who's weight and size, compared to his speed, make him an akward fit at two spots -- i.e a 225 linebacker with 4.8 speed --- too small for linebacker; yet not fast enough for safety....

Which is sort of what Sammy Knight is.

Smith is just an athlete. A great athlete. And I'm almost silly suggesting such an elite athlete would go in round 5 :hmmm:

P.S: Good one Dart ......I was really more or less playing on the whole "Tigers" thing with Mizzu....Tiger=cat :clap:

Reaper16
12-16-2005, 01:16 PM
If Smith shows good hands at combines or those post season talent showcase games, then he could be a potential second rounder. Everyone's favorite Matt Jones was a 1st rounder last year because he was a great athlete with size. Brad doesn't have his size, but is probably a more explosive, dynamic player.

Chieficus
12-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Smith is just an athlete. A great athlete. And I'm almost silly suggesting such an elite athlete would go in round 5 :hmmm:

Those "just an athelte/a great athlete" type tend to scare me. It seems to always happen--the brain gets scrambled tyring to figure out where to put the guy in, none of the positions really catch on that well. If the team's fortunate, they'll get a good year at maybe one position, but then it all fades.

cmh6476
12-16-2005, 01:40 PM
:|

Frazod
12-16-2005, 01:43 PM
As much as I like Smith, and curse Stinkel for wasting his talent, IMO he's just a poor man's Michael Vick. And I wouldn't want the real Vick on this team.

Granted, I certainly don't want to see him go to a division rival, but for our QBOTF, I'm thinking no.

SNR
12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't know. It still just doesn't make sense to me to draft a QB to play WR. Why not just draft a WR then?

Cochise
12-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Matt Jones anyone?

Hal McRae
12-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Those "just an athelte/a great athlete" type tend to scare me. It seems to always happen--the brain gets scrambled tyring to figure out where to put the guy in, none of the positions really catch on that well. If the team's fortunate, they'll get a good year at maybe one position, but then it all fades.

By the way, I don't disagree with this in total.

Smith has to run well in workouts......Remember, Michael Bishop of Kansas State was a complete fraud.

TV pundits were saying he had "blazing speed', ect..blah, blah, blah.....when reality was he was a 4.7 40 type, who just looked like Reggie Bush when there were gaping, 10 yard gaps to run between.

Brad Van Pelt of Colorado State, and now the Broncos, was similar. He could run in college, but didn't have the speed to play WR or DB in the NFL, as so many felt he could.

That said, having watched Brad Smith a lot, I think he's the real deal -- the next top WR to QB prospect and we shouldn't let him out of the state PBJ

Chieficus
12-16-2005, 01:50 PM
By the way, I don't disagree with this in total.

Smith has to run well in workouts......Remember, Michael Bishop of Kansas State was a complete fraud.

TV pundits were saying he had "blazing speed', ect..blah, blah, blah.....when reality was he was a 4.7 40 type, who just looked like Reggie Bush when there were gaping, 10 yard gaps to run between.

Brad Van Pelt of Colorado State and now the Broncos was similar. He could run in college, but didn't have the speed to play WR or DB in the NFL, as so many felt he could.

That said, having watched Brad Smith a lot, I think he's the real deal -- the next top WR to QB prospect.

...of course, if he's there in the 5th round... it wouldn't hurt to take a shot, just to see.

duncan_idaho
12-16-2005, 01:51 PM

I've watched Smith play firsthand for four years... and I've always thought he'd be a tremendous slot receiver.

He has the quickness, change of direction and explosive acceleration to be a nightmare to cover.

Unfortunately, those hoping he can be used to throw the ball on trick plays are out of luck. We'd be better off letting LJ throw the ball, especially deep.

Chieficus
12-16-2005, 01:53 PM
I've watched Smith play firsthand for four years... and I've always thought he'd be a tremendous slot receiver.

He has the quickness, change of direction and explosive acceleration to be a nightmare to cover.

Unfortunately, those hoping he can be used to throw the ball on trick plays are out of luck. We'd be better off letting LJ throw the ball, especially deep.

I guess the question would be: Has anyone seen the guy catch? If they bounce off his hands, the point becomes moot...

Tribal Warfare
12-16-2005, 01:57 PM
If the guy has the head to run great routes, and knows how to diagnose defensive schemes to adjust then he would be a good fit. He could be a Rod Smith clone if this transpires.

Spicy McHaggis
12-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Who was that last Big 12 quarterback to switch to reciever then to safety in the pros? I think it worked out pretty well for him. :p

Dartgod
12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Who was that last Big 12 quarterback to switch to reciever then to safety in the pros? I think it worked out pretty well for him. :p
Former Chief, wasn't he?

Hal McRae
12-16-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't know. It still just doesn't make sense to me to draft a QB to play WR. Why not just draft a WR then?

Ideally.....But the Chiefs record of drafting WR's in the first 3 rounds is so sordid, how do you trust them?

Minnis, Sly Morris, Lockett, Vanover, ect were all Day busts (or very average).....why draft a receiver high, with Carl Pete's track record?

It's obvious the coaches want to go with veterans and have the ability to find receivers elsewhere -- CFL, NFL Europe, AFL, day 2 of the draft.

Now, I'm proposing drafting this Brad Smith in the 5th round -- not a major investment.

It could be worth a shot at that point.....

We let converted QB Rod Smith leave the state of Missouri and go to the Broncos....Should we repeat this error again?

All we had to do was offer Smith a small free agent contract and failed :titus:

P.S: I give up on the last Big 12 QB to make it big in the NFL as a safety....It can't be Frost or Crouch :hmmm:

Ari Chi3fs
12-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Hal McRae played baseball... what does HE know about football, anyway?

Mr. Laz
12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
bumping your own thread, with a quote from your own post, then deleting it after someone else has posted.

Bad noob!!!! :spank:

beavis
12-16-2005, 03:42 PM
No way he plays QB in the NFL. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with most of his throws.

That being said, he's such a natural athlete, I can't imagine there isn't a place somewhere on the field for him, be it at WR or safety.

Hal McRae
12-16-2005, 03:44 PM
bump your own thread with a quote from your own post and then deleting it after someone else has posted.

Bad noob!!!!

Yea, I was bumping it two seconds after I posted it :shrug:

Here's the deal, I tried to edit (add in a bit of onfo on Rod Smith) and accidently hit "quote" instead of "edit" and then deleted my DOUBLE POST.

Boy, you hard-core posters are sure tough on us lurkers that suddenly jump in to add something :rolleyes:

Ari Chi3fs
12-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Yea, I was bumping it two seconds after I posted it :shrug:

Here's the deal, I tried to edit (add in a bit of onfo on Rod Smith) and accidently hit "quote" instead of "edit" and then deleted my DOUBLE POST.

Boy, you hard-core posters are sure tough on us lurkers that suddenly jump in to add something :rolleyes:

If you are gonna throw a tirade, please do it in your office... with a camera nearby. Cuz that shit is hilarious.

Hal McRae
12-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Can I fling one of these at my rivals forehead :drool: ROFL

http://www.hbexports.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/ash-tray-square.jpg

Mr. Laz
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
oh yea... ( Bad noob!!! :spank: ) is just so vicious.

someone should file assault charges

Thig Lyfe
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
what Bob Dole said

What King_Chief_Fan said.

beavis
12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
If you are gonna throw a tirade, please do it in your office... with a camera nearby. Cuz that shit is hilarious.
Hey, quit asking him all these stupid ass questions! ROFL

Cochise
12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Telephones all over Kansas City are trembling in fear.

Clint in Wichita
12-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Has a college QB ever become anything more than a journeyman DB in the NFL?

Brad Smith will probably be another Scott Frost.