PDA

View Full Version : non FB- Going to Spain..

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 01:27 PM
a week from tomorrow. The opportunity popped up to go with a coupld of people at a very reasonable price.

I've never been anywhere to speak of,and am interested to hear if others have been there....what is a "can't miss" Staying in Madrid and looking at day trips each day.

The only thing I do know is we're going to see a couple of castles and a Roman Aquaduct..

Clint in Wichita
10-10-2000, 01:44 PM
I know it mainly rains on the plain...you might want to take an umbrella.

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 10-10-2000).]

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 01:46 PM
Its my understanding that this time of year the weather is very similar to fall in Iowa...very nice during the day...and very cool at night.

I'll keep that in mind though clint...I would hate to melt. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

seclark
10-10-2000, 02:24 PM
well, i've never been to spain,
but i kinda like the music.
sec

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 02:30 PM
sea,

I don't care for the music, food or hairy women...but I can appreciate history, scenery and an oportunity to open my mind and learn some new things.

Besides, I was a geography major in college and it makes sense to finally see some of the things I studied.

IDEA! you know how American women dig that "antonio banderas accent"? I wonder if the southern Iowa drawl I often accused of will have the same affect on Spanish women? http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by Iowanian (edited 10-10-2000).]

seclark
10-10-2000, 02:35 PM
iowanian: good luck...i've never gotten any good comments about my "hick" accent.

spread the word to them women to shave those pits!
sec
hope you have a good time.

Oxford
10-10-2000, 02:42 PM
We travelled in Europe 18 mo. ago (but not in Spain). Go to the library and get a FODOR's guide. Even if they are out of date it's a start. Put souveniers (sp?) on the plastic if you can, the exchange rates are better. AMEX travelers checks can be cashed at local offices into local currency if need be (usually you get the published rate), but take care not to convert too much US$ into Spanish currency. You get hammered on the reconversion.

58Forever
10-10-2000, 02:44 PM
well I never been to Spain, but I kind of like the beatles...

Damn you SEC, I didn't look at your post...and you actually got the lyrics right...bastard.... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

[This message has been edited by 58Forever (edited 10-10-2000).]

seclark
10-10-2000, 02:51 PM
jeeze, joe...you dont have to talk to my like you're my freaking wife...
sec
who sang that anyway? now i cant get it out of my head.

Gaz
10-10-2000, 02:56 PM
Tres perro noche.

xoxo~
gaz
bi-lingual, if grunts and snorts count.

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 02:58 PM
oxford,

thanks, I'd never even thought about that. why do you get a better conversion rate with plastic? I thought I'd get some travelers checks and some good ol' american greenbacks...my friend says that the atm will work over there also...

I'm trying to be as thrifty as I can..not exactly loaded...

side note:
I'm paying for the entire trip with ink drawings on steer and buffalo skulls that i've sold....my HS art teacher told me to choose a different career than art, because my art wouldn't take me anywhere....its taking me to Spain, and I'm sending the Prick a post card....

I like the irony.

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 03:01 PM
gaz,

my spanish is pretty bad...is that 3 dog night?

I think i know the basics
1. Uno Cervasa Por Favor
2. donde esta la bana

If I have some beer and a place to crap..i'll be ok.

Iowanian,
is easy to please OCT 18-23

The worst part is, I'll miss the Lambs game
http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Iowanian (edited 10-10-2000).]

Gaz
10-10-2000, 03:03 PM
Yep, 3 Dog Night.

xoxo~
gaz
una cervesa mas, por favor.

58Forever
10-10-2000, 03:06 PM
sec, sorry, I don't want to sound like anyone's wife...and Gaz answered the question, albeit in Spanish...3 dog night...

Iowa, don't forget, Yo quiero Taco Bell....

Have a great time.

as said before, expect to see some hairy pits...but the weather should be cool so you may be spared the sleevless dresses...can't say the same about the hairy legs...unless all the women wear pants....introduce them to Nair.... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

seclark
10-10-2000, 03:06 PM
iowanian...got any pics of your work?

sec
azgay isay a-ay owoffshay!

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 03:09 PM
sec.

disclaimer: nonpromotional link, only answering a question.

I have a wesite that needs updated.
www.angelfire.com/biz/pbwesternart (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/pbwesternart)

I'm only a hobby artist and have a unique nitch....do alot of custom stuff from photos and post cards. I have a few jpegs of newer stuff but don't know how to link it.

seclark
10-10-2000, 03:18 PM
thanks...i left you an email.
sec

Luzap
10-10-2000, 03:39 PM
Iowanian,

Let me save you an error.

That should be 'bano' (with a tilde over the N ~ how do I get this keyboard to do that?)

Pronounced 'ba(soft a) nyo(long o), accent on the first syllable.

Luz
'bana' is similar to word some use for the shower ~ it won't be your accent that makes them wonder if you're a hick!...

[This message has been edited by Luzap (edited 10-10-2000).]

bishop_74
10-10-2000, 03:42 PM
In other words...
"Wheres the pooper???"

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 03:45 PM
LUZ,

thanks for the advice...but I'm starting a new movement(not the kind in the ba'nyo)....the term hick is no longer "PC"...I prefer to be called a "Heterosexual Agriculture American of Anglo European Decent"...or something like that http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif Do you think I will find that on the next census?

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 03:46 PM
I actually have a serious question now.

Is the food/water safe there? Can I figure on a steady diet of Imodium AD, or is the H2O pretty clean?

Phobia
10-10-2000, 03:51 PM
Warning

There was a recent law which allowed Credit card companies to rake you across the coals on foreign currency conversions. I would check with each of your card's banks prior to your departure so you can be aware of surcharges associated with the conversion....

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 03:56 PM
kphob,

I actually have to renew my mastercard before i go, I'll check on that..thanks..

sometimes I think columbus and francis drake had less to think about....sink/float starve/eat natives friendly/canibals....we have to worry about getting scalped by credit card companies as well....and firey plane crashes, terrorists, yadayadayada

58Forever
10-10-2000, 04:00 PM
Iownian,

Remember you are not going to Mexico...I've been to Europe and at least in Italy, it's almost like being here except for the old buildings and language....the water is fine, the wine is better and you can probably find a Burger King or McDonalds....

but it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring the imodium just in case...the food is very rich... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/redface.gif
------------------
joe

Luzap
10-10-2000, 04:01 PM
Iowanian,

The water (at least in the cities) is not a problem as you mean it.

You need to understand, however, that no matter how 'good' the water is, you are traveling to a part of the world you have not been exposed to before and your immune system is, therefor, suseptable to new types of bacteria.

While you shouldn't be fearfull of 'Montezuma's Revenge', you should take precautions:

Take plenty of vitamins ~ preferably pharmeceutical quality (not the grocery store crap). A good multi plus extra vitamins C & E will go a long way towards keeping your resistance strong.

In addition, stay hydrated; drink plenty of water, and yes, bottled water is always preferable (and no, beer doesn't count) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Also, don't stress out. There will be delays, missunderstandings, and you will get short-changed somewhere along the way. Take it all in stride and enjoy the trip ~ that alone could keep you from contracting something (STDs excluded).

Finally, as much as we might joke, Spanish women are some of the most sensual and beautiful in the world, but be careful, they have a STRONG sense of family!

Luz
enjoy...

Iowanian
10-10-2000, 04:27 PM
luz, 58,

i very much appreciate the advice...I am fortunate to be traveling with 2 people who have traveled the world and lived in spain for a semester and year respectively...I think an Uncultured/traveled person like myself couldn't ask for better conditions for my 1st overseas trip...

I'll try to take my vitamins...my mama put a pack together with medicines, bandaides, butterfly stiches etc...i guess she knows me too well, and thinks i'm still a yungun...
I suppose I should add a pack of the ol' pleasure mesh trojans after your std remark....my clever witt and boyish charm might pay off....lay more pipe than barcelona plumbing while i'm in town http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

thanks again

time to go home for the evening.

Durtman
10-10-2000, 05:10 PM
Iowanian -
Spain will be breathtakingly beautiful this time of year, you lucky boy. I hope your travelling companions speak some spanish - and you should run, don't walk to get a spanish/english dictionary and phrase book. Plus, don't you DARE go to a MacDonalds! Some of the best seafood in the world in Spain. Don't be afraid to take culinary chances. You'll eat like a king if you stick to the smaller trattorias and osterias. These are like eating in someone's house vs. a stuffy "Americanized" restaurante. They'll just charge you more money and wear suits instead of shirtsleeves. Rule of thumb - if the menu's in english, run away. As in Italy, the greatest natural resource are the people. Make friends. They'll take you where the locals go for food and fun - not the tourists. And yes, Portugese and Spanish women will demolish your eyes and heart. I'd love to share some lurid stories, but this is a "G" rated board. Have a blast. I hate you.
DURT

Oxford
10-10-2000, 08:57 PM
Most of the currency exchangers take thier commission off the top in the form of a lowered exchange rate. As you travel you will see many different conversions to the dollar. Saw a later post about CC companies and an exchange rate surcharge. That sure bears looking into..... check with your bank about AMEX travellers checks -- thats what we used in Holland, Germany and Italy.

chiefs2034
10-10-2000, 09:26 PM
what a coincindence... I'm going to spain this summer as part of a 10 day trip for school. We're going to spain, Italy, and france ovr a period of ten days. You'll have to let me know how you like it.

Luzap
10-10-2000, 09:32 PM

Do you know where in Italy you'll be?

I spent a couple of days in and around Stressa (northern Italy).

from what I understand, northern and southern Italy are two different experiences.

Luz
i enjoy international travel...<BR>

chiefs2034
10-10-2000, 09:41 PM
Luz- I have no clue, but I'm really excited. Since it's set up through the school, and there are so many of us going, it's only going to cost me about $2,000... I figure thats not bad for a ten day trip to three foreign countries.

Luzap
10-10-2000, 10:09 PM
You'll have a great time!

Luz
enjoy... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

PS
tell dante he has nothing to worry about... the italian men are not all they're cracked up to be!!!...
(showing my American Pride!)

chiefs2034
10-10-2000, 11:22 PM
i doubt he'll be worried about me at that time.. he'll be in training camp... where his mind should not be on me anyway.(or anything else besides football for that matter)

BroncoFan
10-11-2000, 01:16 AM
Iowanian,

Congrats on your trip to Spain. I lived in the Northeastern portion of Spain for 3 summers, near Tarragona in an area they call Cataluyna. During those three summers we went on quite a few trips to central spain, Madrid, Toledo, Segovia.

Here are some suggestions.

Museums,
Don't leave Madrid without going to both the Prado and the Reina Sopia. I'm not real big on art, but don't cheat yourself by missing either of those. If I remember right, both are closed on Mondays. The Prado will have paintings by Goya, Velazquez and El Greco, and the Reina Sopia will have paintings by Picasso, Dali, and Miro.

Attactions in Madrid,
Go see the plaza major, the puerta del sol, and the palacia real. These are Madrids main tourist attractions. You can probably guess what they are like, pretty amazing, but you won't want to hang around these all day. If you are going to skip one, skip the puerta del sol, don't skip the palacia real, or the plaza major.

Day trips outside of Madrid,
Toledo is great, one of the best cathedrals I have ever been in, and some pretty interesting history. You can get there in 1 to 2 hours by train.

Segovia is also worth visiting. Roman aquaducts, and a great castle. You can get there in 1 to 2 hours by train.

El Escorial is the history of spain. All the spanish kings are buried in this castle. You can get there by bus from Madrid - 1 hour

Continue above ->

BroncoFan
10-11-2000, 01:17 AM
Continued from below->

Food & Drink,
I don't really like Spanish food that much, but I do like Tapas. They are different than our meals. Small portions, and you order 4 or 5 different types, and everyone in the group tries a little of each. My favorites, patatas bravas, and tortilla. Don't leave without eating both patatas bravas and tortilla. Drinking in Spain is as good as it gets, but be carefull everything is stronger.

If you can get tickets to a Real Madrid game - GO, probably pretty difficult.

Accomodations,
Pensiones are the way to go in spain. They are very cheap 10-40 dollars a night, and you won't have to stay with 100 other stinking travelers in hostils.

The Spanish they speak in Madrid is Castillano, traditional spain, no crazy dialects. So you will be able to use the same Spanish they teach us in school (if you happen to know some)

And Finally,
the women in spain do shave both their arm pits and legs, and are prettier than anywhere in Europe.

If you have any additional questions, please ask, I would love to help.

I am jealous, hope you have a great trip, Say hello to Don Quijote de la Mancha.

Iowanian
10-11-2000, 08:46 AM
Good Morining all,

This is going to hurt a bit,(gulp) thanks Broncofan?..good info.

No real need for concern. This bumkin is going with 3 people, 1 has a masters in European history and is a wine and culinary guru...i'm not a wine guy, but they say it is good and affordable...are there any regulations about bringing some back?

Our arrangements for lodging are met...i'm not sure if its a hostil or the other..I do know $17 per night is the cost..

I'm also going with 2 people who have lived there, one in Madrid for 11/2 years, the other went to Alcante University in the south, on the Med...They are all attorneys and speak excellent Spanish..one is Mexican born....I'm the only one that will be *F*ed if I get lost.

I did hear them mention Segovia, the castle and the aguaduct...

It should be an awesome trip...and the round trip tickets from Chicago were $379 each...735 and a buddy fair for $10 additional....I'll probably never get a better and more affordable chance....

I don't wipe with $10 bills like some of you http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

I'll be sure to give a report.

Oxford
10-11-2000, 02:02 PM
2034 -- adding to the travel topic.

When in Rome, you must see St Peter's and the Sistine. We're catholic (so it has more meaning to us), but it is stunning. All the history intertwined with the church throughout the ages is fascinating. Go SHOPPING in Venice, we didn't and we were sorry. We think we could spend a week in Rome just going to all the museums and cathedrals.

BigOlChiefsfan
10-11-2000, 06:53 PM
A few random tidbits of info.

Check this website for tips on packing, what to take, what to leave...where to go. Good stuff.
http://www.ricksteves.com/

A few things to eat/drink while you're there.

Since someone else already talked about Tapas, let me recommend:

Paella (pie-A-ya)-rice, shellfish, chicken, saffron...this ain't your mama's casserole. But you'll wish you could come home and teach her how to make it.

Rioja (ree-o-ha) the main local red wine. tell your pal who likes wine that you want to learn 'good from bad'. Should be a fun lesson.

Cava-Spain's answer to champagne. I like a brand called 'Codorniu', altho Frixenet has a big following here. I drink a lot of Cava, if it won't make me live forever at least I'll have a heckuva time trying.

Finally-go to a used bookstore and grab a couple of Hemingway novels to read while you're traveling. "Death in the Afternoon" is a great primer if you plan to attend a bullfight. "The Sun Also Rises" gave the world running with the bulls in Pamplona, but my recommendation would be "For Whom the Bell Tolls". I recommend second hand novels when you travel, don't pay much for 'em, and you won't mind giving 'em away on the trip. Make room in your luggage and make a friend.<BR>