PDA

View Full Version : A little help...Easy To Use Palm Pilot / Deals?

Bwana
12-17-2005, 07:48 AM
My wife, who is not a computer guru needs a Palm Pilot for work. Do any of you kind folks know which of the ones out there are the most user friendly and go for a reasonable deal? It doesn't have to be the state of the art gold trim diamond studded model, as long as it is EASY to use and doesn't bend my wallet to hard.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated! :thumb:

Marada
12-18-2005, 04:37 AM
My wife, who is not a computer guru needs a Palm Pilot for work. Do any of you kind folks know which of the ones out there are the most user friendly and go for a reasonable deal? It doesn't have to be the state of the art gold trim diamond studded model, as long as it is EASY to use and doesn't bend my wallet to hard.

Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated! :thumb:

I bought one for my spouse but going to the store gave me sticker shock. I wanted one she could connect to the internet with and the least expensive one was $299. By chance I went to Palm's site, www.palm.com and found that they list refurbished one's. Bought one there for $150.00.

KC Jones
12-18-2005, 07:14 AM
This is cheap, never runs out of battery power, and really quite easy to use:

http://www.chinavista.com/experience/abacus/suanpan.jpg

Seriously though, there are so many different PDAs out there and you haven't told us what she's actually going to do with it. Does she just need basic PIM functions (address book, calendar, todo list)? Does she need to read and write Word documents? Excel spreadsheets? Does she need to be able to use a wireless network? Use email?

Once you have a list of functionality that is needed you can start looking at online reviews and what's available on some place like eBay.

AeroSquid
12-18-2005, 07:30 AM
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=COM10522

that one might be a good one to learn on... i know nothing about them ;)

Bwana
12-18-2005, 09:12 AM
This is cheap, never runs out of battery power, and really quite easy to use:

http://www.chinavista.com/experience/abacus/suanpan.jpg

Seriously though, there are so many different PDAs out there and you haven't told us what she's actually going to do with it. Does she just need basic PIM functions (address book, calendar, todo list)? Does she need to read and write Word documents? Excel spreadsheets? Does she need to be able to use a wireless network? Use email?

Once you have a list of functionality that is needed you can start looking at online reviews and what's available on some place like eBay.LOL Mr. Jones. ROFL The problem is, I don’t know a great deal about them myself so it's hard for me to go into detail about it. I do know this, she needs to be able to set and make appointments with it through the main computer at her place of employment. My guess is, it has to plug into the main work computer. Sorry I don't have much more information than that. Like I said, I have never owned one and she knows even less than I do about them.

Thanks for everyone trying to give me advise in this area though, I really appreciate it. I will try to get a little more information and pass it along.

AeroSquid
12-18-2005, 09:18 AM
seems to me like her work should supply her with the device? or at least suggest a list of compatible units.

KC Jones
12-18-2005, 09:23 AM
seems to me like her work should supply her with the device? or at least suggest a list of compatible units.

Absolutley - anywhere that I've worked that requires something like this provides the device. They are probably using MS Exchange for their calendar and email services, so she would need something capable of running MS Outlook (or whatever flavor there is for handhelds).

Bwana
12-18-2005, 09:24 AM

Logic would dictate that wouldn't it? :shake: Unfortunately, that's not the case. It seems that she is a cosmetologist and “rents” the space, hence, it's on her in this case. The shop has about 30 girls there and none of them are very happy about it. I just need to gather a little more information so I can pass it along to you folks to try to get more of an idea what she needs and pull the trigger on it. I just gave her a list of things to ask and I should have more relevant information tomorrow. :hmmm:

Bwana
12-18-2005, 09:28 AM
On a side note, Uncle Bwana will be throwing out some serious rep when this is done.

Bwana
12-18-2005, 03:22 PM
This is the program that they are going to use. What else do you need to know? :)

http://www.saloniris.com

memyselfI
12-18-2005, 06:26 PM
You might try Overstock.com. They sell refurbished ones for decent prices. S/H is free at the moment. No taxes either. If you are a new customer there then do a coupon search. You might find a code for an additional ten percent off.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=726237

Mosbonian
12-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Bwana:

I use a Palm at work now after two years of using a Sony Clie....if you want my opinion, I would go with the Sony brand. I have had nothing but problems with the Palm when it comes to linking and working with the Mainframe & Lotus Notes at work.

My Sony Clie was great....it synched up every time without a glitch. When we went to the new MS Windows Network at work, the IT gurus decided to go with Palm, and mine has never been able to synch with my address book or calendar.

I'm actually looking into asking for a Blackberry...

JMUIO (Just My Un Informed Opinion)

mmaddog

Valiant
12-18-2005, 07:24 PM
I would go with a MS based handheld like the poster above.. They are more versitle, you can either find a older model cheaply online or find a display or used model at local stores if you do not like online purchases...

KC Jones
12-18-2005, 09:33 PM
This is the program that they are going to use. What else do you need to know? :)

http://www.saloniris.com

Okay, I checked out their website and you must have a PDA running PocketPC from Microsoft. Something like a Dell Axim or HP Ipaq. I've heard pretty good things about the Axims but handhelds aren't really my cup of tea. For a new one you're probably gonna be looking at $250-$500. I highly reccomend you shop eBay or overstock.

Good hunting!

KC Jones
12-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Frankly I have to add that I think this is a terrible idea. No offense to Mrs. Bwana but I have to think that cosmetologist aren't exactly a tech savy group. There's no good reason why someone running the salon can't handle all of the scheduling and dole out hard copies (print outs) as needed. Maybe it's a marketing thing and they wanna be seen as a high tech salon, but nothing is as flexible, reliable, or as easy to use a piece of paper.

Bwana
12-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Frankly I have to add that I think this is a terrible idea. No offense to Mrs. Bwana but I have to think that cosmetologist aren't exactly a tech savy group. There's no good reason why someone running the salon can't handle all of the scheduling and dole out hard copies (print outs) as needed. Maybe it's a marketing thing and they wanna be seen as a high tech salon, but nothing is as flexible, reliable, or as easy to use a piece of paper.
None taken Mr. Jone and Mrs Bwana would agree. They are about ready to put a hit on the owner over this thing. :shake: The owner is a goofy be-itch that has been off on a lot of things. So I should try to hunt down a Dell Axim or HP Ipaq?? :shrug: