PDA

View Full Version : 2006 NFL Draft

jspchief
12-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Yea, I know... the season isn't over yet. It's still never too early to start thinking about the draft.

I'm having a hard time determining what is our biggest position of need. We need to address the age at many positions, but we need to address weakness at many positions too.

So what positions would you like to see the first two picks used on?

Demonpenz
12-18-2005, 03:36 PM
i would probably draft a game changing saftey

NJ Chief Fan
12-18-2005, 03:38 PM
de,dt,wr,fs,olb

jspchief
12-18-2005, 03:41 PM
i would probably draft a game changing safteyIMO, there are a certain few positions where a rookie can come in and make an immediate impact. Safety is one of them. DE, and RB are the other two.

If we're looking to cling to our existing team, for one last gasp, I'd consider a pass rushing DE in rnd 1, with a safety in rnd 2.

If we've had a coaching house cleaning, and are building the foundation for the next generation Chiefs, I'd say OT and QB.

jspchief
12-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Another thing that has to be considered is what's available.
This is a crappy draft for WRs. Besides that, rookie WRs rarely have a quick impact.

This a a great draft for LBs (doh!) and a good draft for O-linemen and QBs. The great D-linemen will be gone early, but we might have a shot at the second tier in rnd 2.

Deberg_1990
12-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Best player available at position of need. What we truly need though is a game-changing defensive lineman who can get about 12-15 sacks a year.

jspchief
12-18-2005, 03:56 PM
I think the guy I've got an eye on is Michael Huff (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=40).

He's a speedy SS from Texas that should translate to FS in the pros. He's more of a game breaker than a punisher, but tackles well and can hit. He's not the best safety in the draft, but should be there when we pick in rnd 1, and I don't think it would be reaching.

LiL stumppy
12-18-2005, 03:59 PM
OT-Roaf is probably gone after this.If not we will still need to improve at RT.

Safty-Knight has been a solid pick up.Wesley has been playing better.But theres still alot of room for improvment.

Hoover
12-18-2005, 04:05 PM
I think we need a DT but I don't want to draft one. Hell we have invested how many top draft picks for the position and we don't have anything to show for it. I would just go Oline or DE.

royr17
12-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Roaf : probably stick around for another year
Shields : probably goin to retire

Our first priority is and should be Defensive Line.

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2005, 04:29 PM
BAA, and that will be either McNeill, Scott, or maybe Wright if he falls

royr17
12-18-2005, 04:33 PM
BAA, and that will be either McNeill, Scott, or maybe Wright if he falls

McNeill and Scott are good, but from what i read on Wright his stock is falling.

JBucc
12-18-2005, 04:34 PM
I picked DT first, but I really don't care if it's a DT or DE as long as we get a Dlineman first, and then a safey

royr17
12-18-2005, 04:37 PM
This is how I rank the team needs:
DT, LT, QB, FS, DE, CB, RG, C

royr17
12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
1st Round of the 2006 Draft, Pick # 20, The Kansas City Chiefs Select .....

DT Rodrique Wright from the University of Texas :

At long last the Chiefs finally decided to address their defense last offseason and while improvements were certainly made there is still work to be done, most notably up front. A big problem this season has been the defensive tackles inability to keep blockers off of linebackers Derrick Johnson and Kendrell Bell, which prohibits them from doing what they do best which is fly around and make plays. Early in his career Rodrique Wright looked like a future Top 5 overall pick, but since then his career has been marred by inconsistency and unmet expectations which is why he is still available this late in round one. Make no mistake about it though, Wright has the ability and upside to become a force at what the pros consider a premium position so at this point he is worth a roll of the dice. Kansas City might also be looking to add a premier wide receiver since Eddie Kennison is getting older and they haven't really had a true #1 for some time now. Overall though the defense is still what really needs to be addressed and they could realistically opt for a lineman, linebacker or defensive back without much second-guessing from anyone. Last offseason was a big step in the right direction and one more effort like that could lead to the defense challenging their offensive counterparts for team superiority.

ChiefsOne
12-18-2005, 04:43 PM
LiL stumpy Wesley has been playing better.

No he hasn't! Wesley has sucked this year, he is lazy and gives up on plays. No motivation or enthusiasm. Hell I could have made those 3 interceptions in that game, they fell in his hands.

He gives up and quites on plays!

We need a WR and Saftey.

Iowanian
12-18-2005, 04:48 PM
I said DT and FS.

I chose those, because I think the Oline concerns can be addressed in FA.

Now....I also understand the Chiefs will have more than 2 selections in the draft.

WR, DE, OG, OT, QBotf are also needs.

Tribal Warfare
12-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Personally, I eant another OT when Roaf retires, and this is the best draft to engage on. D- Tackles, can be taken in FA this year. When Roaf goes so does the engine of the offense. With the talent at DT being so thin this year, and I hate drafting on need instead of talent.

Bowser
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
SHOULD go

1) Defensive Tackle
2) Free Safety
3) Outside Linebacker
4) Offensive Tackle
5) Offensive Guard
6) Defensive End
7) Special Teamer/Long Snapper

Probably will go

1) Wide Receiver
2) Offensive Tackle
3) Quarterback
4) Cornerback
5) Defensive Tackle
6) Safety
7) Running Back

Iowanian
12-18-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm still holding out hope that some of LAST years draft picks turn out to be contributors next year.

In particular, the fonzies.

Rain Man
12-18-2005, 05:06 PM
1. DE. We need more than one player on the team who can produce more than 2 sacks per year. DE is a crying need.

2. DT. See Number 1 above.

I think that if we could add two studs at these positions, we've got a window for one more year. The key will be to also get a veteran free agent to teach them so they can produce quickly.

Baby Lee
12-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Can we draft a coach?

Bowser
12-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Can we draft a coach?

Who does Kiper have up on the Big Board?

banyon
12-18-2005, 05:12 PM
If it's a safety, then I'd take this guy.He can bring the pain.
Dwayne Slay DB, #3, Texas Tech
Ht/Wt: 6-3, 215 Hometown: Brunswick Georgia

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/11-05/1118tech.jpg

I think we should try to get this OT in the 2nd. Somehow in the preseason he was a top 3 pick and now he's slid down the boards (a la DJ)

Marcus McnNeil OT, #73, Auburn
Ht/Wt: 6-9, 338 Hometown: Ellenwood Georgia
http://www.nflsmackdown.com/images/mcneil_102504_000.jpg

Bowser
12-18-2005, 05:14 PM
6'9 and 338? That's a full grown dude right there.

banyon
12-18-2005, 05:19 PM
6'9 and 338? That's a full grown dude right there.

True dat!

Munson
12-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Our biggest needs are (assuming that Willie Roaf doesn't retire):

DT/DE (Haloti Ngata/Oregon, Manny Lawson/N.C. State)
WR (Santonio Holmes/OSU, Martin Nance/Miami of Ohio)
G (Taitusi Lutui/USC)
QOTF (Charlie Whitehurst/Clemson, Kellen Clemens/Oregon, Darrell Hackney/UAB)
CB/S

Although we do need a premier DT, I'd be a little hesitant to go with a first round DT after the Ryan Sims debacle. Maybe we can get one in free agency. I'd like us to go with a DE to go opposite of Jared Allen. I think Manny Lawson from N.C. State might be available when we pick. I like DT Broderick Bunkley from FSU in either the 2nd or 3rd round. This guy can get some major pressure up the middle.

I'd also consider a WR in the first round. Santonio Holmes from Ohio State would be perfect for this offense. He is a smaller receiver(which the Chiefs seem to like), but has great speed, and can actually make big plays after the catch.

Coogs
12-18-2005, 05:49 PM
1. DE. We need more than one player on the team who can produce more than 2 sacks per year. DE is a crying need.

2. DT. See Number 1 above.

I think that if we could add two studs at these positions, we've got a window for one more year. The key will be to also get a veteran free agent to teach them so they can produce quickly.

I agree. Look at the Bears and the Chargers. Both have went heavy in the D-line department early in the draft the last two years. And both can bring the heat with just the front four.

greg63
12-18-2005, 05:52 PM
...Defensive passing game stinks; the secondary needs help.

Dayze
12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
I picked DT, and CB.

Anyone to add depth the the defensive back corps so we can ditch McCleon.

Dayze
12-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Marcus McnNeil OT, #73, Auburn
Ht/Wt: 6-9, 338 Hometown: Ellenwood Georgia
http://www.nflsmackdown.com/images/mcneil_102504_000.jpg

Dang.

jspchief
12-18-2005, 07:22 PM
This years WR crop is not very good. IMO, neither Holmes or Nance will be an immediate impact player. WRs rarely are as rookies, and these guys aren't as good as some that have come out in the past.

DEs are pretty weak in this draft after Kiwanuka. And you usually don't get a real impact DE in the middle of the 1st rnd anyway.

Marcus Mcneill is another guy that I think will be available when we pick, and I really like him. He reminds me of Roaf a lot, and I think he has the footwork to fit in our run blocking scheme.

The more I look at this draft, the more I like the O-linemen. I know it may not be an immediate need, but there are going to be some great hogs come out of this year's draft, and we could start preparing for the departure of Roaf, Shields, and Weigmann in this draft.

milkman
12-18-2005, 07:25 PM
...Defensive passing game stinks; the secondary needs help.

We can use safety help, but the best way to help the secondary is to give them a better pass rush in front of them so that they don't have to cover all damn day, and to put them in a better ****in' scheme.

Thig Lyfe
12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I guess General Manager is not an option.

suds79
12-18-2005, 07:34 PM
We need a DT really bad but our pass defense will never get better as long as we have only 1 legit pass rushing DE.

DE. Lose Hicks.

Coogs
12-18-2005, 07:59 PM
We can use safety help, but the best way to help the secondary is to give them a better pass rush in front of them so that they don't have to cover all damn day, and to put them in a better ****in' scheme.

With the Colts still being relatively young, the emergance of the Bengals high power offense, and the Bolts and Denver having better than average offenses, defense up front has to be the biggest issue if we are to make the Super Bowl the next few years.

The teams Indy has the most problems with.... Jax and Indy today... both can pressure Manning with just the front four. If it takes more that four, he kills the opponents. The same will probably apply to Cincy, SD and Denver.

Look how many problems Chicago is giving Atlanta and Vick with just the front four tonight.

shaneo69
12-18-2005, 08:11 PM
I would spend our free agent money on an above average DT. Then I'd probably grab a playmaking passrusher in the 1st round (Elvis Dumervil). I'd take a RB in the 2nd round to protect myself from LJ and Priest's erratic behavior. Then I'd try to pry Patrick Ramsey from the Skins for a 3rd rounder. My fourth rounder would be a strong safety.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2005, 08:13 PM
I've been saying this before the 2005 NCAA season even started...Offensive Tackle.

There are easily 6 OT's that can be taken in the first round.

Wa-Z
12-18-2005, 08:16 PM
TERREL OWENS!!

jiveturkey
12-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Some of the most recent mocks that I've seen have us taking an OT (McNeil), OLB (Brooks (wouldn't that be sweet)), and DT (Wright).

philfree
12-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I'm not giving up for a Chiefs win on Christmas Eve and New Years Day but barring a miracle there will be no post season for them and their fans.

I haven't voted in the poll but I think we should draft the best player on the board offense or defense. Here's some prospect rankings. As it stands now we'll be picking 13th-17th there abouts..........Starting this makes me sad. :(
---------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott Wright's Top 32 Players for the 2006 NFL Draft
Player Class Position School
1. Reggie Bush JR RB Southern Cal
You won't find a more explosive, dynamic playmaker in the country.
2. Matt Leinart SR QB Southern Cal
Could have gone #1 overall in 2005 and is the frontrunner again.
3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson SR OT Virginia
A franchise left tackle with amazing athleticism and nimble feet.
4. Mario Williams JR DE North Carolina St.
Might ultimately be the best DE prospect since Julius Peppers in '02.
5. A.J. Hawk SR OLB Ohio St.
Standout who is seemingly all over the field and in on every play.
6. Haloti Ngata JR DT Oregon
Has the physical tools to rank right up there with the best in the draft.
7. Vince Young JR QB Texas
Has all the physical tools in the world but is very raw as a passer.
8. Jimmy Williams SR CB Virginia Tech
Former safety who has an ideal combo of size, speed and athleticism.
9. DeAngelo Williams SR RB Memphis
Productive player who is far and away the best senior at his position.
10. Michael Huff SR CB Texas
Ballhawk in the secondary who projects to either S or CB in the pros.
11. Mathias Kiwanuka SR DE Boston College
A tall, rangy sack artist with excellent athleticism and production.
12. Santonio Holmes JR WR Ohio St.
Polished WR who is a big play threat but also does the little things.
13. Chad Greenway SR OLB Iowa
Skills have drawn some favorable comparisons to Brian Urlacher.
14. Eric Winston SR OT Miami (FL)
Still recovering from a knee injury and could end up being a steal.
15. Marcedes Lewis SR TE U.C.L.A.
A wide receiver in the body of a tight end who can be a major weapon.
16. DeMeco Ryans SR OLB Alabama
Great player who gets lost in the shuffle with so many great LB's.
17. Vernon Davis JR TE Maryland
Amazing physical specimen who will be a true workout warrior.
18. Winston Justice JR OT Southern Cal
Still improving but has all the tools and could be a great one.
19. Tamba Hali SR DE Penn St.
Finally started to garner all the attention he deserves as a senior.
20. LenDale White JR RB Southern Cal
Gets overshadowed by Bush but he is a top prospect in his own right.
21. Laurence Maroney JR RB Minnesota
Extremely productive and a threat to go the distance at any time.
22. Rodrique Wright SR DT Texas
An enigma who has all the talent but never really plays up to it.
23. Claude Wroten SR DT L.S.U.
Could end up being a better prospect than Marcus Spears was in '05.
24. Leonard Pope JR TE Georgia
At 6-7 and 250 lbs. he is the best all-around tight end out there.
25. LaRon Landry JR S L.S.U.
Has experience at both FS and SS and is a guy who can do it all.
26. Jay Cutler SR QB Vanderbilt
Player on the rise who is easily the #2 senior signal caller.
27. Marcus McNeill SR OT Auburn
Great athlete who has all the tools to be a top tackle prospect.
28. Thomas Howard SR OLB U.T.E.P.
One of the fastest, most athletic linebackers you will ever see.
29. Tye Hill SR CB Clemson
Probably a better prospect than Justin Miller was a year ago.
30. Darnell Bing JR S Southern Cal
Amazing athlete who excels both versus the run as well as the pass.
31. Bobby Carpenter SR OLB Ohio St.
Hybrid OLB / DE who would be a great fit in in a 3-4 scheme.
32. Jonathan Scott SR OT Texas
A prototypical left tackle prospect who still has a lot of upside.
-------

PhilFree:arrow:

Mecca
12-18-2005, 09:42 PM
I would spend our free agent money on an above average DT. Then I'd probably grab a playmaking passrusher in the 1st round (Elvis Dumervil). I'd take a RB in the 2nd round to protect myself from LJ and Priest's erratic behavior. Then I'd try to pry Patrick Ramsey from the Skins for a 3rd rounder. My fourth rounder would be a strong safety.

If we drafted Dumervil teams would run all over us. He's a LB sized end, him and Allen together would probably be the worst run defending DE tandem in football.

Theres 2 impact ends, Mario Williams and Mathias Kiwanuka, we aren't going to be picking top 5 so we won't touch those guys. This however is a really good DT year.

What I would do to fill the 2 biggest needs this team has, is I would go out and spend free agent money on Darren Howard at DE. Then I'd take the best DT on the board with my first round pick. I'd follow that up with a safety because most teams in the NFL devalue safeties on draft day. You could likely grab a first round talent at safety in the 2nd round.

Chief Chief
12-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey! There's a total of 77 votes now! Someone cheated and voted an extra time! I'm gonna tell my Mommy!

Chiefnj
12-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Kiwanuka is listed at 262lbs which means he's probably 10 pounds lighter. He's gonna get the tweener lable like Elvis.

Mecca
12-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Kiwanuka is listed at 262lbs which means he's probably 10 pounds lighter. He's gonna get the tweener lable like Elvis.

Kiwanuka is 6'8.......he has room to add weight. Dumervil doesn't have near the frame to add alot of weight.

Chief Chief
12-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Elvis Grbac??

Kiwanuka isn't going to drop down to the 18th pick (or lower) which is about where the Chiefs will get their first draftee. And: NO..CP isn't going to trade down to get the Kiwi Nukester when he's got OT Winston Justice (#18) ripe for the picking. He may even trade up to grab one of the two DTs (#22/#23) or OT Marcus McNeil (#27).

Chief Chief
12-18-2005, 10:06 PM
uh..reverse the "trade down" phrase with the "trade up" phrase in that last comment of mine...

Mecca
12-18-2005, 10:10 PM
If this team doesn't do anything to improve the front 4 in the offseason, I'm going to puke.

jiveturkey
12-19-2005, 02:14 PM
22. Rodrique Wright SR DT Texas
An enigma who has all the talent but never really plays up to it.

This guy is perfect!!! :)

I want to also take back what I said about OLB. I completly forgot about Key Fox and Griffin. Those two combined with Barber should be able to produced something next year. All 3 of them can probably cover better than Bell, which might allow us to use DJ in the blitz scheme more often.

LB should be a low priority next year compared to everything else.

Rudy lost the toss
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
looks like Carl voted for FB and TE

htismaqe
12-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Marcus McNeil would be awesome. I also like the DE from Penn State...

Thig Lyfe
12-19-2005, 02:39 PM
looks like Carl voted for FB and TE

Hahahaha

RedThat
12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
I say we draft an OT in the 1st round. Just to prepare for Roafs departure whether it's next year or in 2 years from now. My reason for this pick, is, it's good to have a young OT, especially if it means he's learning from, and being mentored from one of the games best.

Then in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds I'd go all out and draft some DB's. Whether it's safeties, corners I don't care. Wesley and Knight are ok but not good enough. I say we draft some defensive backs to create some competition in camp over who wins a starting job. Warfield is overpaid, plain and simple, he's not that good.

We should build our D-Line through FA. There are some guys out there that I really like. I like Aaron Kampman from Green Bay. John Abraham is at the top of my wish list, I doubt KC can afford him. Kampman I would sign. Id keep Allen and Sims. Sign a DT. We need a really really good defensive tackle. We dont have that, and we could use one badly.

Iowanian
12-19-2005, 02:51 PM
The Homer in me just said "Self....Chad Greenway would look pretty good opposite of D Johnson"

The Realist said "Shut up foo! The Chiefs need Dline and secondary help worse and think Fox and Griffin can play"

the Homer AND the realist says "hey Aaron Kampman is exactly the kind of Blue Collar Workhorse that would look good in KC red"

BTAU
12-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know where a list of potential free agents is?

RedThat
12-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know where a list of potential free agents is?

www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131605 (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131605)

RedThat
12-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Im not all that enthused about the DT's in free agency this year. No real hot commodities out there. The only guy I would consider signing is Larry Tripplet.

htismaqe
12-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Im not all that enthused about the DT's in free agency this year. No real hot commodities out there. The only guy I would consider signing is Larry Tripplet.

I wanted Tripplet coming out of college. Of course, I wanted Eddie Freeman too. :banghead:

I'd take Aaron Kampmann. I also think we need to look for a big-time safety...

htismaqe
12-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Futhermore, free agent defensive tackles rarely work out for their new teams...

Douche Baggins
12-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Futhermore, free agent defensive tackles rarely work out for their new teams...

We need to do what Denver did last offseason. Make a trade.

htismaqe
12-19-2005, 03:34 PM
We need to do what Denver did last offseason. Make a trade.

I'm not opposed. Just not sure at this point who is going to be tradeable in the offseason...

RedThat
12-19-2005, 04:22 PM
I wanted Tripplet coming out of college. Of course, I wanted Eddie Freeman too. :banghead:

I'd take Aaron Kampmann. I also think we need to look for a big-time safety...

There are some pretty good safeties available in free agency this year:

-Adam Archuleta
-Lance Schulters
-Marlon McCree
-Tank Williams
-Will Demps
-Idrees Bashir

*Not a bad bunch. I'll take any one of these guys over our current crop of safeties. Im still rooting for guys like Julian Battle. Id like to see the Chiefs move him back to his natural position FS and develop him.

jspchief
09-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Here's some interesting hindsight.

In December of 2005, an overwhelming majority of Chiefs fans felt that offensive tackle was a top two priority for the 2006 draft.

Looks like maybe we saw something coming that the front office didn't. That's more than a little discouraging.

greg63
09-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Here's some interesting hindsight.

In December of 2005, an overwhelming majority of Chiefs fans felt that offensive tackle was a top two priority for the 2006 draft.

Looks like maybe we saw something coming that the front office didn't. That's more than a little discouraging.
Yeah, but typical. :banghead: