PDA

View Full Version : MusicPlanet

Bob Dole
12-22-2005, 01:26 PM
This forum is not intended to discourage music-related discussion in the main Lounge.

It's just become apparent over time that there are quite a few musicians and music lovers that hang out around here, and after some discussion, a couple of us thought that it might be nice to have a forum where people could more easily find music-related topics when they're in the mood.

Knock yourselves out.

SPchief
12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Who died and made you king??

:Poke:

Bob Dole
12-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Who died and made you king??

:Poke:

Dick Clark.

(Much like Al Davis, he's actually been dead for years...)

SPchief
12-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Well, just as long as you had a reason

Ultra Peanut
12-22-2005, 02:21 PM
If this is even half as muddled and meaningless as GeeksPlanet is, this is a dumb move.

Bob Dole
12-22-2005, 02:26 PM
If this is even half as muddled and meaningless as GeeksPlanet is, this is a dumb move.

How do you figure?

Ultra Peanut
12-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Well, GeeksPlanet is a ****ing hole. It's where sometimes-decent threads are shuttled off to die.

There's absolutely no focus to it; it's far-flung and there's little rhyme or reason when threads are moved there. Sometimes it's a "help desk" for computer issues, as it was originally intended, and sometimes it's a dumping ground for a mish-mash of completely different topics, ranging from satellite radio/TV to video games to eBay to binoculars to movies, all of which are also discussed to some degree -- often large -- on the main forum.

There's also the general "WHY splinter that sort of discussion off into a lesser-viewed area when it's wholly unnecessary" principle, but it's less of a concern than the "please set some standards to determine what should and shouldn't go into the bastard sub-forum" one.

htismaqe
12-22-2005, 03:06 PM
Well, GeeksPlanet is a ****ing hole. It's where sometimes-decent threads are shuttled off to die.

There's absolutely no focus to it; it's far-flung and there's little rhyme or reason when threads are moved there. Sometimes it's a "help desk" for computer issues, as it was originally intended, and sometimes it's a dumping ground for a mish-mash of completely different topics, ranging from satellite radio/TV to video games to eBay to binoculars to movies, all of which are also discussed to some degree -- often large -- on the main forum.

There's also the general "WHY splinter that sort of discussion off into a lesser-viewed area when it's wholly unnecessary" principle, but it's less of a concern than the "please set some standards to determine what should and shouldn't go into the bastard sub-forum" one.

ROFL

You couldn't be more wrong, especially considering the opinions of those who have gotten help there without having to wade through 10 pages of other threads to get to the help they asked for 24 hours ago...

Tribal Warfare
12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Truly, too many sub- forums delute the content in Chiefs Planet , hell that was one of the causes of the KCStar BB Exodus

Bob Dole
12-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Truly, too many sub- forums delute the content in Chiefs Planet , hell that was one of the causes of the KCStar BB Exodus

What part of "This forum is not intended to discourage music-related discussion in the main Lounge" is confusing?

When things fall back a few pages, they'll get moved here for organizational purposes. Otherwise, there's not really any impact at all.

htismaqe
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM

ROFL

We're gonna have to start a sub-forum for urban legends.

There weren't subforums at the KCStar Chiefs BB.

The reason for the exodus was heavy-handed mods that banned people for talking about anything other than football...

chagrin
12-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey,

so how about that Pink Floyd, eh guys?

Tribal Warfare
12-22-2005, 03:39 PM
ROFL

We're gonna have to start a sub-forum for urban legends.

There weren't subforums at the KCStar Chiefs BB.

The reason for the exodus was heavy-handed mods that banned people for talking about anything other than football...

Others also had his govenment politics threads deleted, because their were sub-forums in which they were suppose to discuss this.

Bob Dole
12-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Others also had his govenment politics threads deleted, because their were sub-forums in which they were suppose to discuss this.

Posts that contain the word "government" should only be posted in the Washington D.C. forum.

Thanks for your cooperation on this matter.

Tribal Warfare
12-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Posts that contain the word "government" should only be posted in the Washington D.C. forum.

Thanks for your cooperation on this matter.

Razzing me that's fine, but don't go overboard with this sub-forum crap.

Ultra Peanut
12-22-2005, 06:14 PM
ROFL

You couldn't be more wrong, especially considering the opinions of those who have gotten help there without having to wade through 10 pages of other threads to get to the help they asked for 24 hours ago...I'm perfectly fine with a "help desk" section, if that's what you want. I never said that was a bad thing. But how does cluttering that forum with thirty-two flavors of random, tangentially-relevant (at best) stuff help those looking for quick answers to their questions?

What about the opinions of those who started threads that weren't intended to be asking for help but saw them moved to GeeksPlanet anyways without their input, simply because the thread was discussing something that technology was a part of?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131857
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131860
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131862
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=131970

More GeeksPlanet candidates, perhaps? There are similar threads that have been moved there, seemingly due to those oh-so-technological keywords (imagine that, in this day and age).

Further complicating the matter is that video game discussion takes place in (and is moved from the Lounge to) both GeeksPlanet and the Games forum.

Long story short...

Ask for assistance, recommendations or advice here.That's the GeeksPlanet description. What do threads about torrent seeding, comments on video game systems, and comments on satellite radio/TV -- all on the first page of GeeksPlanet -- have to do with that?

Bob Dole
12-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm perfectly fine with a "help desk" section, if that's what you want. I never said that was a bad thing. But how does cluttering that forum with thirty-two flavors of random, tangentially-relevant (at best) stuff help those looking for quick answers to their questions?

What about the opinions of those who started threads that weren't intended to be asking for help but saw them moved to GeeksPlanet anyways without their input, simply because the thread was discussing something that technology was a part of?

More GeeksPlanet candidates, perhaps? There are similar threads that have been moved there, seemingly due to those oh-so-technological keywords (imagine that, in this day and age).

Further complicating the matter is that video game discussion takes place in (and is moved from the Lounge to) both GeeksPlanet and the Games forum.

Long story short...

That's the GeeksPlanet description. What do threads about torrent seeding, comments on video game systems, and comments on satellite radio/TV -- all on the first page of GeeksPlanet -- have to do with that?

Blah blah blah...

A> WTF does any of that have to do with this forum?

B> Maybe we should add a comprehensive 3 page forum description to Geeksplanet so you can accurately recall the evolution of things and not feel compelled to nitpick the **** out of every decision to move something. Maybe the moderators should start a poll for every potential thread move? Would that make you happier?

It started out as the site help forum. It was then discussed and subsequently turned into a forum where people could go for a variety of technical help and/or reviews of technology-related items/issues. The whole point of the shift in content was to better be able to benefit from the collective expertise of the community.

It's not like anything is being deleted, and in this particular instance, it's just being moved around a little to provide a "topical archive" of certain discussions. Nobody is discouraging music-related discussion in the Lounge...and Bob Dole doesn't know how to make that any ****ing clearer than posting "This forum is not intended to discourage music-related discussion in the main Lounge."

htismaqe
12-23-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm perfectly fine with a "help desk" section, if that's what you want. I never said that was a bad thing. But how does cluttering that forum with thirty-two flavors of random, tangentially-relevant (at best) stuff help those looking for quick answers to their questions?

Long story short...

That's the GeeksPlanet description. What do threads about torrent seeding, comments on video game systems, and comments on satellite radio/TV -- all on the first page of GeeksPlanet -- have to do with that?

GeeksPlanet is an index, an archive. We move stuff there MANUALLY so

1) we don't catch everything and

2) it's up to our own discretion

It's not perfect, but we've gotten a TON of compliments and thank-you's. Feel free to continue to whine though, make sure everybody can hear you.

patteeu
12-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Razzing me that's fine, but don't go overboard with this sub-forum crap.

Too late.

I'm sure I'm not unique in that I've experienced a lot of forums on the internet, but based on my experience, one of the best things about ChiefsPlanet circa 2003 (besides, of course, the Chiefs focus) was that everything was allowed to be discussed in a single forum. All eyes were on that forum and the most popular threads survived while the duds dropped off the main page. Almost every other forum was broken up into narrowly focused subforums which obviously cuts down on traffic in any given forum at any given time. ChiefsPlanet has fallen into the same trap and is increasingly just another forum like all the others. It seems like a good idea to apply some organization to the forum, but in the end I think it's only an illusion. The bad outweighs the good, IMO, although I don't expect those who came up with the idea (as unoriginal as it was) of creating these subforums to admit it or even realize it.

My suggestion, if it were technically possible, would be to have ALL threads in a single main forum. Each thread starter would be required to categorize their thread based on a list of topic categories (e.g. Chiefs/NFL, music, tech, politics/religion, pictures, games, etc.). Based on that category indicator, each thread could also show up in a sub-forum focused on that individual category in addition to the main forum. That way, people who are looking for music threads could go to the music forum to find what they are looking for instead of sorting through the "clutter" of the main forum, but people who are interested in the most popular threads on the site regardless of category could hang out in the main forum and still access the same music thread if it struck their fancy. Best of both worlds.

patteeu
12-23-2005, 08:38 AM
"This forum is not intended to discourage music-related discussion in the main Lounge."

I'm curious about what kind of mental gymnastics you have to do to make that seem like a good idea.

patteeu
12-23-2005, 08:42 AM
GeeksPlanet is an index, an archive. We move stuff there MANUALLY so

1) we don't catch everything and

2) it's up to our own discretion

It's not perfect, but we've gotten a TON of compliments and thank-you's. Feel free to continue to whine though, make sure everybody can hear you.

You moderator guys shouldn't take criticism so personally. I'm sure that in most cases it isn't meant that way. I realize you guys are doing this as a hobby not a profession.

htismaqe
12-23-2005, 09:21 AM
We're not taking it personally.

We're revelling in all the self-righteous whining.

patteeu
12-23-2005, 09:42 AM
We're not taking it personally.

We're revelling in all the self-righteous whining.

OK good, because we aren't whining, we are criticizing your mistakes much like a parent criticizes a child who hasn't learned the ways of the world yet and therefore makes naive choices. But that doesn't mean we don't love you anymore. :)

htismaqe
12-23-2005, 10:10 AM
OK good, because we aren't whining, we are criticizing your mistakes much like a parent criticizes a child who hasn't learned the ways of the world yet and therefore makes naive choices. But that doesn't mean we don't love you anymore. :)

When whining fails, try patronization.

To criticize a mistake, you have to first be in a position to qualify such action as a mistake. 3 people does not create a concensus.

shakesthecat
12-23-2005, 10:31 AM
FWIW, I think this new forum is a great idea.
Often times I use the Planet's music threads to get ideas for new music to download.

Having all those threads in one area makes that a LOT easier.

Bob Dole
12-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Often times I use the Planet's music threads to get ideas for new music to download.

Thank you for your understanding.

Your Premium Membership certificate will be mailed out shortly.

patteeu
12-23-2005, 11:00 AM
When whining fails, try patronization.

Were you patronizing when you called our criticism whining?

To criticize a mistake, you have to first be in a position to qualify such action as a mistake. 3 people does not create a concensus.

I only need 1 to achieve certainty. I am the Copernicus of message boards and you serve the Pope. ;)

Bob Dole
12-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I only need 1 to achieve certainty. I am the Copernicus of message boards and you serve the Pope. ;)

Actually, he serves the poop.

Don't accept any dinner invitations.

patteeu
12-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Actually, he serves the poop.

Don't accept any dinner invitations.

LOL

Ari Chi3fs
12-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Phil would never have stood for such forum addition debauchery.

Nzoner
12-23-2005, 11:14 AM

Agreed,this is a great idea.

Bob Dole
12-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Phil would never have stood for such forum addition debauchery.

Which is exactly why Bob Dole had him killed.

unlurking
12-24-2005, 10:14 AM

My suggestion, if it were technically possible, would be to have ALL threads in a single main forum. Each thread starter would be required to categorize their thread based on a list of topic categories (e.g. Chiefs/NFL, music, tech, politics/religion, pictures, games, etc.). Based on that category indicator, each thread could also show up in a sub-forum focused on that individual category in addition to the main forum. That way, people who are looking for music threads could go to the music forum to find what they are looking for instead of sorting through the "clutter" of the main forum, but people who are interested in the most popular threads on the site regardless of category could hang out in the main forum and still access the same music thread if it struck their fancy. Best of both worlds.

That would be a GREAT idea IMO. Simply tag each thread, then create a "filtering" option to determine what thread topics to displat in what order (by topic or by date). I would love to see something like this.

Pants
12-26-2005, 05:05 PM
I think GeeksPlanet was an awesome idea. Psicosis, you're WRONG!@!!

Ultra Peanut
01-03-2006, 04:27 AM
Just as an update, I like MusicPlanet. It's nice. GeeksPlanet would be okay if it just had any sort of fricking direction.

Again, either threads (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132302) like (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130631) these (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=128059) should be in GeeksPlanet, or the video game-related threads in GeeksPlanet should be with the video game-related threads in Games; the former is actually a better option, I think, simply because the latter would further muddle yet another already-muddled sub-forum.

Bob Dole
01-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Just as an update, I like MusicPlanet. It's nice. GeeksPlanet would be okay if it just had any sort of fricking direction.

Again, either threads (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132302) like (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130631) these (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=128059) should be in GeeksPlanet, or the video game-related threads in GeeksPlanet should be with the video game-related threads in Games; the former is actually a better option, I think, simply because the latter would further muddle yet another already-muddled sub-forum.

To be honest, Bob Dole never looks at threads that appear to be about video/PC games (and thusly never moves them), and never ventures in to the games forum. It would not be possible for Bob Dole to care less which gaming console is best or what the latest Madden features are. Gamerz = Geeks as far as Bob Dole is concerned...

Be that as it may, it would make more sense to Bob Dole to stick any and all game-related topics in the Games forum. Geeksplanet was intended to be more of a "How do I?" or "Which is the best?" sort of catch-all knowledgebase thingy. Maybe it's time to have a community discussion about it (in one of the affected forums).

As to the lack of organization/direction: please bear in mind that all this crap has to happen manually. There's no AI engine on here that moves topics to an appropriate forum when you dipshits start it in the wrong place, so things are going to fall through the cracks from time to time. Bob Dole certainly doesn't mind an occassional "Could you move topic x to forum y" PM.

Ultra Peanut
01-03-2006, 07:57 AM
The only problem I have with video game talk in the Games forum is that it would overrun the original intent of that one, too, which was a place for contests and gambling threads and whatnot. Not to say they're any more suited for a forum that's meant for asking help, though, and the traffic would probably be more evenly split between the two forums if the game stuff did end up being moved to Games.

Hey, I know! Break GeeksPlanet down further into two distinct forums: GeekingHelp and GeekGab. :D

Bob Dole
01-03-2006, 09:18 AM
The only problem I have with video game talk in the Games forum is that it would overrun the original intent of that one, too, which was a place for contests and gambling threads and whatnot. Not to say they're any more suited for a forum that's meant for asking help, though, and the traffic would probably be more evenly split between the two forums if the game stuff did end up being moved to Games.

Hey, I know! Break GeeksPlanet down further into two distinct forums: GeekingHelp and GeekGab. :D

Wouldn't it be simpler to just delete all video game discussions?