PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella Man!

Halfcan
12-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Based on a True Story.

Directed by Ron Howard.

Starring Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger.

In a time when America needed a Champion, an unlikey hero will rise. Jim Braddock defys odds and makes his dreams come true. He goes from the soup lines of the Depression era,to Champion of the World.

This movie really surprised me, I was expecting a 1930's Rocky. What I got was a touching story of family, love, and heart. The boxing scenes were first rate, in the same league as Raging Bull. Crowe puts on a Best Actor performace, as the soft spoken, hard working, family guy. Never caring about the fame, the title or anything but getting his wife and three kids off of skid row. I am a huge boxing fan, and was very familar with what boxing historians call one of the greatest fights ever. But this movie takes it from the human point of view-manly the ultimate cost Braddock is risking. Max Baer was one of the hardest hitters ever and had killed two men in the ring. Braddock with multiple injuries including broken ribs from 130 pro and amature fights, was risking his very life and also the lives of his family, who would never have survived without him. This is possibly Zellweger's finest performace as with Crowe, and both will be nominated in the Acadamy. My ony regret is that I did not see it on the big screen, as the boxing scenses would have been that much better.

12 halfcans of beer out of 12.

Kerberos
12-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Max Baer was one of the hardest hitters ever and had killed two men in the ring.

Max Baer?

Is that the same Max Baer that played Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Edit Post

My Bad ... Max Baer Jr. was on the BH.

:D

Halfcan
12-25-2005, 09:56 PM
lol, gotta love those Hillbillies-epescially Ellie Mae.

Probably spelled the Champs name wrong, somone will have the right spelling. But he was a total badass-even beating Joe Louis the first time around. I think they played him up as a Playboy, asshole more than he was. I always thought he was a pretty descent fighter and person in general. He even paid for Louis's funeral. He was not a villian as the movie plays him.

greg63
12-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Can't wait to see this one myself.

cdcox
12-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Excellent movie, definitely headed for my dvd collection.

Frazod
12-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Max Baer?

Is that the same Max Baer that played Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillies?

Edit Post

My Bad ... Max Baer Jr. was on the BH.

:D

I actually read an article where Max Baer Jr. was deeply offended by the way his dad was portrayed in that movie; he claimed that Howard totally demonized him.

Mosbonian
12-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Saw this one the other night and was very impressed with the movie. Several people from work recommended it and i am glad they did. I completely agree with your analysis Halfcan....

I give it 4 Barks on a 5 Bark rating system....

mmaddog

Halfcan
12-25-2005, 10:47 PM
I actually read an article where Max Baer Jr. was deeply offended by the way his dad was portrayed in that movie; he claimed that Howard totally demonized him.

Yeah that is the only part I didn't like. The actor that played Max was like Antonio Bandaras on roids, a Hollywood playboy. Where was the German accent? I think he got the fighting style pretty close. Max was a very powerful man and could smash your ribs through your lungs. Later in his career, he used the jab and became less of a slugger and more of a boxer. Great fight scene though!

Halfcan
12-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Saw this one the other night and was very impressed with the movie. Several people from work recommended it and i am glad they did. I completely agree with your analysis Halfcan....

I give it 4 Barks on a 5 Bark rating system....

mmaddog

Thanks, I really enjoyed this film. It pulls you into the depression, and Crowe was fantastic.

luv
12-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Sounds like someone got some new movies for Christmas.

Halfcan
12-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Sounds like someone got some new movies for Christmas.
No they are rentals-but might pick this one up to keep.

luv
12-25-2005, 11:07 PM
No they are rentals-but might pick this one up to keep.
I got dad The Longest Yard (remake) for Christmas.

Halfcan
12-25-2005, 11:10 PM
I got dad The Longest Yard (remake) for Christmas.

Cool, havn't seen it yet, but probably will eventually, as I liked the first one a lot.

Guru
12-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Watching on TNT right now. I forgot how good this movie is.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Watching on TNT right now. I forgot how good this movie is.

GREAT MOVIE!!!!

DaneMcCloud
12-07-2007, 11:30 PM
Max Baer was born in Omaha, Nebraska. The only accent he would have been Midwestern.

Max Baer fought Joe Louis and lost. So did his brother Buddy Baer, another successful heavyweight from the 30's and 40's.

I believe that Halfcan was referring to the German heavyweight champion, Max Schmeling (who ironically, lost to Max Baer). Schmeling beat Joe Louis once but Louis knocked out Schmeling in the rematch for the title.

Guru
12-08-2007, 12:00 AM
I wish boxing was still like that today.

DaneMcCloud
12-08-2007, 01:28 AM
I wish boxing was still like that today.

It'll never happen.

Pro Football pays way too much.