PDA

View Full Version : The Playoff Futility Starts and Ends with Carl !!!

Logical
12-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Say what you will about potential head coaches Lamar is satisfied with the seats being full and that is Carl's only real goal.

Mediocrity is our future our past and our present. Welcome to King Carl World.

Anybody have any great ideas on how to rid ourselves of this plague?

Kerberos
12-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Hire a mercenary.

Take up a collection through paypal.

:D

j/k

Matt Helm
12-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Say what you will about potential head coaches Lamar is satisfied with the seats being full and that is Carl's only real goal.

Why continue to bash CP when you know that it will have no effect?

Just in case you missed what he HAS done:

72-88 Chiefs made 1 playoff game.

89-05 Chiefs made 7 playoffs.

No superbowl yet, but it surely is better than the 16 years before he came in.

Go ahead and gripe, that seems to be what you do best lately.

I prefer to think of the Chiefs winning this coming weekend and the Lions bringing up their end.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-26-2005, 07:55 PM

So it really isn't Carl, it is Lamar Hunt. If he wanted to win like some other owners, he would do EVERYTHING it took. All owners are concerned about selling out the stadium, but some are as committed to winning.

Tribal Warfare
12-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Shit will change when Clark has full reign.

Logical
12-26-2005, 08:00 PM
So it really isn't Carl, it is Lamar Hunt. If he wanted to win like some other owners, he would do EVERYTHING it took. All owners are concerned about selling out the stadium, but some are as committed to winning.Well yes and no, might also be Clark.

Logical
12-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Shit will change when Clark has full reign.Why, best I can tell the only thing Clark cares about is the soccer teams.

FringeNC
12-26-2005, 08:01 PM
If Vermeil doesn't want to leave and/or really wants Saunders to get the job, he might have the credibility with the Hunts to get rid of Peterson. Supposedly, they love Vermeil.

It's not likely. Other than that, he can probably stay until he gets bored of the job. Maybe if the next coaching decision turns into a debacle, and fans stay away, he could get the boot.

htismaqe
12-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Why continue to bash CP when you know that it will have no effect?

Just in case you missed what he HAS done:

72-88 Chiefs made 1 playoff game.

89-05 Chiefs made 7 playoffs.

No superbowl yet, but it surely is better than the 16 years before he came in.

Go ahead and gripe, that seems to be what you do best lately.

I prefer to think of the Chiefs winning this coming weekend and the Lions bringing up their end.

What exactly HAS Carl Peterson done?

We're one of the 5 or 6 worst teams in football in terms of what really counts - winning in the postseason. Only the Cardinals, Lions, and Saints have been more pathetic than the Chiefs...

Kerberos
12-26-2005, 08:49 PM

IMHO

The better question is "What has he done for US lately"?

We had a good ride in the early 90's with a great defense.

It seems we can't meet in the middle and get top middle of the road each way.

Sold out the stadium. That is what he was hired to do!

Anything beyond that is/was considered GRAVY! IMO

SNR
12-26-2005, 09:02 PM

We're one of the 5 or 6 worst teams in football in terms of what really counts - winning in the postseason. Only the Cardinals, Lions, and Saints have been more pathetic than the Chiefs...Don't forget the Chargers and Seahawks...

SNR
12-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Anybody have any great ideas on how to rid ourselves of this plague?Scientists in Detroit have been doing extensive research on a new cancerous GM removal method. Here is a link to their research and findings:

http://www.firemattmillen.com/

Study is not yet complete.

jspchief
12-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Carl is to GM what Marty/Vermeil is to coaching.

Good enough to make us respectable, but never able to reach the pinnacle. We haven't had too many valleys, but we've never reached the summit either.

Logical
12-26-2005, 10:01 PM

Sold out the stadium. That is what he was hired to do!

Anything beyond that is/was considered GRAVY! IMO

.Whatever floats your boat.:shake:

Logical
12-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Don't forget the Chargers and Seahawks...Even the pathetic Chargers have made the Super Bowl since Carl has been in charge. You have a point about the Seahawks though.

SNR
12-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Even the pathetic Chargers have made the Super Bowl since Carl has been in charge. You have a point about the Seahawks though.I'm talking total franchise playoff wins

BCD
12-26-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm done blaming Carl. Its all on the Hunts, now. You 've had the same GM/CEO of your franchise, and no SB appearances. They've kept him in charge. Even 12 YEARS AFTER HIS INITIAL 5 YEAR PLAN!

htismaqe
12-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Forget total wins.

Look at it this way:

Only the Chargers, Browns, Seahawks, Cardinals, Saints, and Texans have lower postseason winning percentages than the Chiefs, regardless of number of appearances. Even the Lions and Bengals are better.

And if that isn't depressing enough for you, read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_franchise_post-season_droughts

Messier
12-27-2005, 12:14 AM
So, we don't like Carl Peterson. I get that, I want to know what he does that has a direct result in winning games. The players he signs you can't say are bad. The coachs haven't worked out, but can you say Marty was bad? Is it bad to hire a coach that just won a super bowl? The drafts have been good. Besides every decision is run through others. I think coaching is responsible for most if not all success on the field. Look, I can't stand Peterson, I think he's an arrogant jerk, but I fear the Chiefs without him. Let's say your dreams come true, he gets fired, and in comes...someone who really is bad at drafting, bad at luring free agents, isn't known or respected in the leauge?

Back to postseason failure, what should Carl have done? Lets' say in 1997. What should HE have done that would win that game? Put in Gannon? Not his call. Fired Marty before the game and put in a coach that would do better? I mean other than sign better players, but I say those players were good enough to go to and win the superbowl.

I just don't blame Peterson for failure to win games. I blame coaches for that.

Douche Baggins
12-27-2005, 12:17 AM
I just don't blame Peterson for failure to win games. I blame coaches for that.

Carl should have known Gunther wasn't the right man for the job...

Logical
12-27-2005, 12:20 AM
... The players he signs you can't say are bad. ...
Mostly they are bad.

... The drafts have been good. ...
...No they have not been, he has had a few recent sucesses but overall he is bad, bad, bad at drafting especially for skill positions.

Rausch
12-27-2005, 12:22 AM
No they have not been, he has had a few recent sucesses but overall he is bad, bad, bad at drafting especially for skill positions.

No, he isn't.

However, he's HORRIBLE at evaluating in-house talent...

tk13
12-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Carl is to GM what Marty/Vermeil is to coaching.

Good enough to make us respectable, but never able to reach the pinnacle. We haven't had too many valleys, but we've never reached the summit either.
Vermeil hasn't reached the pinnacle?

jspchief
12-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Vermeil hasn't reached the pinnacle?Not in KC.

I don't care what he did somewhere else. He's been mediocre at best in KC.

You think he's done a good job?

keg in kc
12-27-2005, 12:33 AM
I'd suggest you find a new team, or some good drugs.

Redcoats58
12-27-2005, 12:58 AM
The only suggestion I have is the firecarlpeterson.com website. Unless sombody wants to kidnap him and drop him off on some island in the middle of nowhere?

I'll gladly sign the petition for either of these two things :thumb:

ChiefsLV
12-27-2005, 03:53 AM
No, he isn't.

However, he's HORRIBLE at evaluating in-house talent...

The drafting over the recent years has been terrible and that is why the Chiefs cannot pull themselves above consistent mediocrity. Look at the Championship teams over the past decade. Those teams build from a core of solid draft picks and sprinkle a key free agent here and there. The Chiefs are forced to get practically all of their top players through free agency. Green, Roaf, Wigemann, Surtain, and Priest come to mind. But more importantly, so do cap killers like Barber, McGlockton, Carlton Gray, Dan Williams and Elvis Grbac. Carl has hit on a few stellar picks like LJ and Jared Allen. But it's all the picks he misses on that kills us. The Rashan Shehees, Mike Clouds, Greg Hills, Eddie Freemans, Eric Downings, Julian Battles, William Burntees, Matt Blundins and the list goes on of high picks that he missed on.

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 06:11 AM
The drafting over the recent years has been terrible and that is why the Chiefs cannot pull themselves above consistent mediocrity. Look at the Championship teams over the past decade. Those teams build from a core of solid draft picks and sprinkle a key free agent here and there. The Chiefs are forced to get practically all of their top players through free agency. Green, Roaf, Wigemann, Surtain, and Priest come to mind. But more importantly, so do cap killers like Barber, McGlockton, Carlton Gray, Dan Williams and Elvis Grbac. Carl has hit on a few stellar picks like LJ and Jared Allen. But it's all the picks he misses on that kills us. The Rashan Shehees, Mike Clouds, Greg Hills, Eddie Freemans, Eric Downings, Julian Battles, William Burntees, Matt Blundins and the list goes on of high picks that he missed on.

Look at that list of players.

Then consider who was coach at the time they were picked up.

Carl's problem is that he hires coaches who don't know how to evaluate and install a COMPLETE TEAM.

oaklandhater
12-27-2005, 06:19 AM
The only suggestion I have is the firecarlpeterson.com website. Unless sombody wants to kidnap him and drop him off on some island in the middle of nowhere?

Cheifs fans dont ahve the balls to make a page like that or the balls to not Renew there season tickets, And thats why Carl will be a GM has long has he wants to be!!!

Kerberos
12-27-2005, 06:37 AM
Whatever floats your boat.:shake:

Well ... He asked the question!

"Just WHAT has Carl done"?

Sell tickets is EXACTLY what he has done. Try like he may he did not produce anything more than hollow filled results to fans with high expectations. He may have done enough good by bringing in Marty and drafting and picking up free agents to spark the fuel that brought the Chiefs out of lessergy. But beyond THAT what has he done? I don't disagree with ANYONE on this board that he hasn't done allot to make things better for the Chiefs fans that want MORE bang for the buck and got stuck with high priced tickets, overpriced parking and teams that can't win in the playoffs.I do agree that Carl has led us down path of the 5 year plan for a decade and a half without a whole lot of bling to show for it!

Make no mistakes ... I DO NOT agree with what he has done but bottom line that was the correct answer to the question. IMO

:harumph:

Matt Helm
12-27-2005, 07:20 AM
It's time for some of the more bitter fans to go directly to Arrowhead and call a meeting with Lamar, Clark and Carl. Then you can put your demands on the table.

As for Vermeil, he hasn't taken us to where we all want to go, but something he did in his tenure is to bring an offense to KC. That is something we were lacking for quite a while. For the past three years if our defense would have been 10% better we would have been in the playoffs each of those years. 10%! Check the stats and figure where we would have been in the "rankings" with that improvement.

What I would like to see is the Chiefs get into the playoffs this year and walk through the superbowl. I would then like to see how many of you would change your chameleon colors.

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 07:23 AM
It's time for some of the more bitter fans to go directly to Arrowhead and call a meeting with Lamar, Clark and Carl. Then you can put your demands on the table.

As for Vermeil, he hasn't taken us to where we all want to go, but something he did in his tenure is to bring an offense to KC. That is something we were lacking for quite a while. For the past three years if our defense would have been 10% better we would have been in the playoffs each of those years. 10%! Check the stats and figure where we would have been in the "rankings" with that improvement.

What I would like to see is the Chiefs get into the playoffs this year and walk through the superbowl. I would then like to see how many of you would change your chameleon colors.

If only we could all be REAL fans. Then we wouldn't care about winning or losing.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 07:31 AM

he will eventually shoot himself in his own foot,because he wont be able to get the top coaches.
JMO

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 07:46 AM

AliCh3efs owns firecarlpeterson.com

There are websites now that are devoted to firing a head coach for about every team in the USA. It's a good place to vent and maybe get some publicity but not an effective tool anymore in of itself.

jspchief
12-27-2005, 08:57 AM
AliCh3efs owns firecarlpeterson.com

There are websites now that are devoted to firing a head coach for about every team in the USA. It's a good place to vent and maybe get some publicity but not an effective tool anymore in of itself. The latest trend is people getting the "fireJoeCoach.com" sites and making them positive websites. The coach stays a step ahead of the angry fan.

Messier
12-27-2005, 10:37 AM

Let's bring up the idea about Carl being a "bad" drafter again. All those bad draft picks can be found on EVERY team. All the teams have butt loads of bad picks every team is lucky to have two or three picks that make significant contributions (like being a starter). Please go here: www.theredzone.org look at players drafted by all the teams, you won't recognize half the names, they missed. Sure, some teams have done better than most some have done worse but the Chiefs aren't in the the done worse column.

Matt Helm
12-27-2005, 10:40 AM
If only we could all be REAL fans. Then we wouldn't care about winning or losing.

This has nothing to do with being a real fan, it's about being real. Not many here seems to understand that Lamar owns the team, Carl was hired to fill the seats, and he did that from '89 on.

Not one person here would like a superbowl appearance and win more than I do but I'm realistic and understand that I'm just like everyone else here, JAFO.

Calcountry
12-27-2005, 10:42 AM
So it really isn't Carl, it is Lamar Hunt. If he wanted to win like some other owners, he would do EVERYTHING it took. All owners are concerned about selling out the stadium, but some are as committed to winning.I believe I was one of the first to call out Lamar. But to what end? Lamar sells, or dies, and the new owners care little of Kansas City. So they move, like Cleveland, and THEN they win a Super Bowl. Just wont' be the same.

Calcountry
12-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Mostly they are bad.

No they have not been, he has had a few recent sucesses but overall he is bad, bad, bad at drafting especially for skill positions.In pool they have a term "shit out", it means when you get lucky and knock the 9 ball in off a lucky bouce.

Well, occaisionally Carl Peterson shits out and gets lucky with a draft pick.

Rausch
12-27-2005, 11:02 AM
The drafting over the recent years has been terrible and that is why the Chiefs cannot pull themselves above consistent mediocrity. Look at the Championship teams over the past decade. Those teams build from a core of solid draft picks and sprinkle a key free agent here and there. The Chiefs are forced to get practically all of their top players through free agency. Green, Roaf, Wigemann, Surtain, and Priest come to mind.

Green, Roaf, and Surtain WERE draft picks, not free agents. We traded draft picks for players, which pretty much is what you do when you draft someone.

But more importantly, so do cap killers like Barber, McGlockton, Carlton Gray, Dan Williams and Elvis Grbac. Carl has hit on a few stellar picks like LJ and Jared Allen. But it's all the picks he misses on that kills us. The Rashan Shehees, Mike Clouds, Greg Hills, Eddie Freemans, Eric Downings, Julian Battles, William Burntees, Matt Blundins and the list goes on of high picks that he missed on.

Every team has bad picks.

What hurts is having GOOD picks that we let go.

Guys like Joe Horn,Donnie Edwards, Nick Lowery and Greg Hill.

Or signing guys, misusing them, and letting them go. Guys like Keith Traylor, Gannon, and Deberg.

Imagine what guys like Kimble Anders would have done in this type of offense.

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah could you imagine this offense the last two years if we would have had Horn to stretch the defense? Had Edwards at LB? Then could have spent FA money on a DT. Neither player got big FA money.

How different a team would we have been with thise two on the roster and another FA DT??