PDA

View Full Version : 10-6 and not making the playoffs.....

B2chiefsfan
12-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Damn.....

That sucks........

:shake:

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 12:45 AM
We all were saying before the season that 10-6 might not be good enough to get in. Players should have known that too and played with some heart.

tk13
12-27-2005, 12:51 AM
In the current playoff format, only the 91 Eagles, 91 Niners, and 03 Dolphins have gone 10-6 and actually missed the playoffs. We could be the 4th... and the Chargers could be right there with us.

Rausch
12-27-2005, 12:54 AM
With THIS we can't kill the bunny...

Logical
12-27-2005, 12:58 AM
If it makes you feel better there is still a solid chance we can finish 9-7

Rausch
12-27-2005, 01:06 AM
If it makes you feel better there is still a solid chance we can finish 9-7

I'd prefer to finish 10-6 and send the Bengals off pissed into the playoffs...

Logical
12-27-2005, 01:07 AM
I'd prefer to finish 10-6 and send the Bengals off pissed into the playoffs...So would I, no real benefit to this one game not being won.

grandllama
12-27-2005, 01:08 AM
With THIS we can't kill the bunny...

Why do you want to kill Logical?

Rausch
12-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Why do you want to kill Logical?

See also: Swingers...

grandllama
12-27-2005, 01:16 AM
See also: Swingers...

Sorry, on this BBS, I hear 'Bunny' and automatically think about that 'Phase' Vlad went through...

Rausch
12-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Sorry, on this BBS, I hear 'Bunny' and automatically think about that 'Phase' Vlad went through...

B2chiefsfan
12-27-2005, 01:33 AM
9-7 is one thing, but 10-6

UGH!!!!

:banghead:

tk13
12-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Parity is alive and well in the AFC. Yeah.

It is funny that just 3 years ago, Oakland got the #1 seed in the AFC at 11-5. Since then it's taken 14-2, 15-1, and probably 14-2 again to get the #1 seed in the AFC. That's pretty impressive.

luv
12-27-2005, 01:42 AM
Okay. In order to get into the playoffs at this point, i Understand the following three things have to happen:

1. We win.
2. Pittsburg loses.
3. San Diego loses.

Is that right?

greg63
12-27-2005, 01:46 AM
Okay. In order to get into the playoffs at this point, i Understand the following three things have to happen:

1. We win.
2. Pittsburg loses.
3. San Diego loses.

Is that right?

Unfortunately, that's the deal.

jjchieffan
12-27-2005, 01:48 AM
Unfortunately, with the four division alaignment eliminating a wild card spot in each division, 10-6 teams missing the playoffs is going to become much more common. In the future, It will hopefully be fixed. But not until enough good teams have been eliminated from a shot in the playoffs, and the owners change their view. The arguement against adding spots is that bad, i.e. 8-8 or 7-9 teams would be getting in, and keeoing the first round bye. While I agree with the former, I disagree with the latter. Why should the best record get a first round bye. Many times that best record is the by product of a soft schedule. Sometimes, the week off will also cause a hot team to cool off, and, as we have seen the team will lose anyway. As far as losing teams making it in goes, Right now there are 8 AFC teams, and 7 NFC teams with 9 or more wins. There is also 1 AFC team, and 2 NFC teams with 8 wins, so theoretically, there could be 18 teams with winning records this year, with only 12 in the playoffs. That means as many as 6 teams with winning records get eliminated. That is way too many, and will hopefully be a step in the right direction on making the NFL see that change is needed.

cdcox
12-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately, with the four division alaignment eliminating a wild card spot in each division, 10-6 teams missing the playoffs is going to become much more common. In the future, It will hopefully be fixed. But not until enough good teams have been eliminated from a shot in the playoffs, and the owners change their view. The arguement against adding spots is that bad, i.e. 8-8 or 7-9 teams would be getting in, and keeoing the first round bye. While I agree with the former, I disagree with the latter. Why should the best record get a first round bye. Many times that best record is the by product of a soft schedule. Sometimes, the week off will also cause a hot team to cool off, and, as we have seen the team will lose anyway. As far as losing teams making it in goes, Right now there are 8 AFC teams, and 7 NFC teams with 9 or more wins. There is also 1 AFC team, and 2 NFC teams with 8 wins, so theoretically, there could be 18 teams with winning records this year, with only 12 in the playoffs. That means as many as 6 teams with winning records get eliminated. That is way too many, and will hopefully be a step in the right direction on making the NFL see that change is needed.

I couldn't disagree more strongly. A meaningful regular season is what separates the NFL from the NBA and the NHL. Those leagues have essentially a long exibition season followed by a tournament. A winning record should not be a license to the playoffs. If you expand the field you are going to get some really bad teams qualifying Already last year we had two 8-8 teams making it from the NFC. There was a real possibility of having a 7-9 team make it last year. That was a disgrace to call those teams playoff teams.

So San Diego and Kansas City don't make the playoffs at 10-6. WAAA WAAA WAAA. Both of these teams have come up short multiple times in situations that they could have easily prevailed. The Chiefs performance in several games sickens me. San Diego fans should feel the same way. You know why these teams are not playoff teams: they are no heart pussies that fold when something is on the line. They had multiple chances, but they just weren't good enough. It would be a travesty to expand the playoff field to accomodate underachieving chokers like the Chiefs and the Chargers and in the process let in some truely bad 7-9 and 8-8 teams.

The NFL is the best and most competitive sports league in the country. It would be irresponsible to trash that on account of a couple of no heart losers that stumbled their way to a 10-6 record.

mlyonsd
12-27-2005, 07:43 AM
I couldn't disagree more strongly. A meaningful regular season is what separates the NFL from the NBA and the NHL. Those leagues have essentially a long exibition season followed by a tournament. A winning record should not be a license to the playoffs. If you expand the field you are going to get some really bad teams qualifying Already last year we had two 8-8 teams making it from the NFC. There was a real possibility of having a 7-9 team make it last year. That was a disgrace to call those teams playoff teams.

So San Diego and Kansas City don't make the playoffs at 10-6. WAAA WAAA WAAA. Both of these teams have come up short multiple times in situations that they could have easily prevailed. The Chiefs performance in several games sickens me. San Diego fans should feel the same way. You know why these teams are not playoff teams: they are no heart pussies that fold when something is on the line. They had multiple chances, but they just weren't good enough. It would be a travesty to expand the playoff field to accomodate underachieving chokers like the Chiefs and the Chargers and in the process let in some truely bad 7-9 and 8-8 teams.

The NFL is the best and most competitive sports league in the country. It would be irresponsible to trash that on account of a couple of no heart losers that stumbled their way to a 10-6 record.

Completely agree, except for maybe the pussie part.

I see no reason to expand the playoff system. In fact I'd take it one step farther by shortening pre-season by two games and adding them to the regular season.

Amnorix
12-27-2005, 07:44 AM

Yes, let the AVERAGE teams in! Great!!!

How 'bout no.

For divisional championships and rivalries to have any meaning, then the divisional champion must get in.

If you keep 32 teams and the 16 team conferences, which is PERFECT, by the way, and you move to eliminating the bye, then 8 teams per conference, or HALF, will get in.

No thanks.

The bye is the single BEST advantage any team can have going into the playoffs. It is amazingly important. Getting it helps make the regular season more meaningful for good teams.

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Yes, let the AVERAGE teams in! Great!!!

How 'bout no.

For divisional championships and rivalries to have any meaning, then the divisional champion must get in.

If you keep 32 teams and the 16 team conferences, which is PERFECT, by the way, and you move to eliminating the bye, then 8 teams per conference, or HALF, will get in.

No thanks.

The bye is the single BEST advantage any team can have going into the playoffs. It is amazingly important. Getting it helps make the regular season more meaningful for good teams.

Actually the bye isn't that big of an advantage at all, especially in the AFC.

Amnorix
12-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Actually the bye isn't that big of an advantage at all, especially in the AFC.

Found on the web:

"Some quick research indicates that over the past 10 seasons:

16 of 20 Super Bowl teams have had a bye
8 of 10 Super Bowl winners had a bye

Clearly its important to get that bye, nobody needs to do research to know that. What isnít clear is whether they fair better because of their week off or because of their superior talent. Iím guessing a little of both. "

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/12/02/ramblings/stat-analysis/3303/#comment-100270

I know that last year, the two bye teams, Pats and Steelers, ended up in the AFC Championship Game.

The two bye teams in 2003 were Pats/KC, with Pats making it to the AFCC.

2002 was Oakland and Titans with the bye. I couldn't find quickly who was in the AFCC, but clearly it was Oakland vs. whomever.

2001 was Patriots and Steelers with the bye, and both made it to the AFCC.

cdcox
12-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Here's a little more detailed data:

A 1 or a 2 seed going against a 3 or a 4 seed has about a 70% chance of winning.

A 1 or a 2 seed going against a 5 or 6 seed that manages to win their wild card game has won about 85% of their games.

htis - I fixed your post for you:

Actually the bye isn't that big of an advantage at all, especially if your the Chiefs.

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Duh, I was thinking #1 seed. The #2 seed has a by as well. Duh.

If you look at the last 20 years of #1 seeds, you'll find that the #2 seeds have a much better incidence of making it to the Bowl.

And 13-3 is cursed in the AFC, NOT just for the Chiefs...

ptlyon
12-27-2005, 08:09 AM
16 of 20 Super Bowl teams have had a bye
8 of 10 Super Bowl winners had a bye

That is a funny stat. Subtract the Chiefs in that and figure out what you come up with.

Over-Head
12-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Don't feel bad, were 4-12 and didn't make it either. :D
Take comfort in the fact we suck worse than you this season. :thumb:

Bob Dole
12-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Don't feel bad, were 4-12 and didn't make it either. :D
Take comfort in the fact we suck worse than you this season. :thumb:

Tip:

You could have saved yourself some typing and just left off "this season."

Garcia Bronco
12-27-2005, 08:23 AM
In the current playoff format, only the 91 Eagles, 91 Niners, and 03 Dolphins have gone 10-6 and actually missed the playoffs. We could be the 4th... and the Chargers could be right there with us.

The Broncos have been 11-5 and not made the playoffs.

Over-Head
12-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Tip:

You could have saved yourself some typing and just left off "this season."

But here's always hope :thumb:

Mecca
12-27-2005, 08:42 AM

Dallas also has a very realistic chance of going 10-6 and not making it.

brent102fire
12-27-2005, 09:11 AM
The Chiefs just seem like a totally different team when they play on the road. Not making the playoffs saved them and the fans from another heart-breaking, embarrassing loss... :hmmm:

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 10:11 AM
That is a funny stat. Subtract the Chiefs in that and figure out what you come up with.

Oddly, I came up with exactly the same numbers.

ptlyon
12-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Oddly, I came up with exactly the same numbers.

You know what I mean. Well at least I know what I mean. And you should know what I mean.

Wait a minute, who the hell are you?

RINGLEADER
12-27-2005, 11:31 AM
If the defense doesn't meltdown vs. Philly we're in...If the offense shows up for the first half of the Chargers game we're in...if Willie Roaf isn't injured against Buffalo we're in...if Derrick Johnson doesn't hold on the final defensive play of the Dallas game we're in...

This season was riddled with missed opportunities...

Calcountry
12-27-2005, 12:05 PM
So would I, no real benefit to this one game not being won.Only if we DON'T want to make the playoffs.

Calcountry
12-27-2005, 12:07 PM
We can count on Denver to take out San Diego, I mean, Shanahan wants us in Denver for the playoffs.

siberian khatru
12-27-2005, 12:34 PM
If the defense doesn't meltdown vs. Philly we're in...If the offense shows up for the first half of the Chargers game we're in...if Willie Roaf isn't injured against Buffalo we're in...if Derrick Johnson doesn't hold on the final defensive play of the Dallas game we're in...

This season was riddled with missed opportunities...

We've been missing opportunities for much of the last 17 years.

Calcountry
12-27-2005, 12:40 PM
We've been missing opportunities for much of the last 17 years.We fugged up, we trusted Carl.

tk13
12-27-2005, 02:03 PM
The Broncos have been 11-5 and not made the playoffs.
Different playoff format though... only 5 teams in each conference got in at that time. Under the current format that Broncos team would've been in.

Garcia Bronco
12-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Different playoff format though... only 5 teams in each conference got in at that time. Under the current format that Broncos team would've been in.

That doesn't matter...we still had 11 wins and didn't get a shot at the title.

sedated
12-27-2005, 04:43 PM
They didn't deserve to be in the playoffs after the eggs they laid on the road.

What makes you think they would play better on the road in playoffs?

I just hope DV doesn't think about that 10 wins stuff when he's thinking about retiring.