PDA

View Full Version : Chargers will play starters Saturday

tk13
12-27-2005, 01:14 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13491097.htm

Chargers will give it their all
Schottenheimer wants 10th victory, which would eliminate Chiefs
Star News Services

The San Diego Chargers have absolutely nothing to play for Saturday, so what would it hurt to give backup quarterback Philip Rivers a start?

To the chagrin of Chiefs fans, Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said that’s not going to happen, unless Drew Brees gets hurt.

“We will play everybody that is healthy enough to play. Our starters will
start, our starters will play, because we have one objective, and that is to get to 10-6,” coach Schottenheimer said.

“There’s a difference between preseason and regular season, in my view. Ours is about winning football games ... and 10-6 just sounds a lot better to me than 9-7.”

For Chiefs fans, 9-7 sounds a lot better for the Chargers. Because if San Diego wins, it will clinch the second spot in the AFC West, meaning the Chiefs would be eliminated from playoff contention.

But 10-6 is why Schottenheimer won’t replace Brees with Rivers, who’s played sparingly — but collected more than $14 million — in his two years in San Diego.

“We’re playing a division opponent, a team we split with a year ago,” Schottenheimer said. “I understand those that might say, ‘Well, you know, play Philip,’ and all, but that’s not the way the National Football League, in my view, is set up. Our goal is to get our 10th victory.”

■ COWBOYS SWITCH KICKERS AGAIN: Dallas still has a shot at the playoffs, but if it comes down to winning a game on a last-second field goal, Billy Cundiff won’t have a chance to play hero.
The Dallas released Cundiff on Monday, the team’s fourth change at the position since training camp. The Cowboys re-signed rookie Sean Suisham, who was cut when the team brought back Cundiff on Nov. 19 and didn’t miss a field goal or extra point in two games. Suisham was first signed after Dallas cut Jose Cortez.

■ JAGUARS’ LEFTWICH CLEARED FOR PRACTICE: Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich has received medical clearance to return to practice Wednesday and could play in the regular-season finale against Tennessee.

Leftwich broke a bone in his left ankle Nov. 27 at Arizona. He got off crutches about 10 days ago and ran and threw for the first time since the injury Friday.

Leftwich already has declared himself ready to play — and wants to avoid being rusty for the first round of the AFC playoffs — but coach Jack Del Rio said Monday that he plans to wait until later in the week to decide between Leftwich and David Garrard.

■ JAG ESCAPES INJURY: Defensive tackle Marcus Stroud escaped serious injury after rolling his vehicle while driving home for the holidays, authorities said. Stroud was charged with careless driving after the Saturday night accident.

■ RAMS’ VITT SAYS HE’S TO BLAME FOR COLLAPSE: The buck stops at Joe Vitt’s door. Vitt, the Rams’ interim coach, blames himself for not keeping 5-10 St. Louis in contention.

“If I had done a better job of preparing our team, we may be better right now,” Vitt said. “It’s on me. This is my fault.”

The Rams have nine players on injured reserve, including both cornerbacks and quarterback Marc Bulger. Vitt was coaching linebackers in early October before stepping into the job that Mike Martz vacated because of a heart ailment.

All he knows is the Rams have dropped six of seven heading into the season finale on Sunday at Dallas, and are 3-7 overall with him coaching.
Vitt also announced that Jamie Martin will start the Rams’ season finale at quarterback.

■ WASHINGTON’S BRUNELL IS DAY-TO-DAY: An MRI confirmed that Washington quarterback Mark Brunell has a mild sprain of the MCL in his right knee, with no further damage.
Coach Joe Gibbs didn’t say whether Brunell would start Sunday against the Eagles.

■ MORA SAYS HE HAS CONTROL OF EMOTIONS: Falcons coach Jim Mora acknowledged Monday that he was upset when he put an abrupt end to a radio interview after the loss Saturday that knocked Atlanta out of playoff contention.

Still, Mora insisted “I have great control of my emotions,” adding that he is unfairly judged by those seeking to link his emotional displays with those of his father, former coach Jim Mora.

“I think part of that comes from the fact I share my last name with my dad, who’s got famous sound bites,” he said. “So everyone is always looking for one, looking for one, looking for one. So you know what? There hasn’t been any. That’s the problem. You get a penalty for yelling at an official and everyone wants to make a big deal out of it. Every coach in this league yells at officials.”

Mora was seen using a cell phone during Saturday’s overtime period as he and other team officials were trying to find out what effect a tie would have had on the Falcons’ playoff hopes. An NFL rule is designed to prevent a coach from using a device such as a cell phone during an instant replay.

chefsos
12-27-2005, 02:03 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13491097.htm

Chargers will give it their all
Schottenheimer wants 10th victory, which would eliminate Chiefs
Star News Services

The San Diego Chargers have absolutely nothing to play for Saturday, so what would it hurt to give backup quarterback Philip Rivers a start?

To the chagrin of Chiefs fans, Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer said that’s not going to happen, unless Drew Brees gets hurt.

“We will play everybody that is healthy enough to play. Our starters will
start, our starters will play, because we have one objective, and that is to get to 10-6,” coach Schottenheimer said.

■ MORA SAYS HE HAS CONTROL OF EMOTIONS: Falcons coach Jim Mora acknowledged Monday that he was upset when he put an abrupt end to a radio interview after the loss Saturday that knocked Atlanta out of playoff contention.

Still, Mora insisted “I have great control of my emotions,” adding that he is unfairly judged by those seeking to link his emotional displays with those of his father, former coach Jim Mora.

1) That kinda sucks. Marty screws us again. Not that it really matters though, 'cause the Lions aren't winning in Pittsburgh.

2) Does anyone else think this little Mora controversy is bull? Dave Archer asked him, immediately after a playoff killing loss, why he punted on 4th and 2. From his own 24. In OT. If he'd kept the headset on instead of throwing it down, he would have been obligated to call the guy a f*cking retard.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2005, 02:34 AM
And like my uncle said, remember
Everybody that you ****in' with has got an agenda

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Marty actually think there's a difference between 9-7 with no playoffs and 10-6 with no playoffs.

That's how one amasses 100 wins in a decade but can't win a playoff game.

And the Jim Mora thing is so ****ing stupid. The guy did NOTHING wrong.

old_geezer
12-27-2005, 06:41 AM
I would actually think less of the Chargers if they played their scrubbs all game just to give the Chiefs a shot at a playoff berth that they couldn't earn on their own ability. If the roles were reversed, would you want the Chiefs to lay down so the Chargers could back into the playoffs?

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 06:49 AM
I would actually think less of the Chargers if they played their scrubbs all game just to give the Chiefs a shot at a playoff berth that they couldn't earn on their own ability. If the roles were reversed, would you want the Chiefs to lay down so the Chargers could back into the playoffs?

Of course.

The problem is WHY Marty is saying they're playing their starters. Just come out and say that they want to punk the Chiefs. Instead of giving us this crap about how 10-6 is better than 9-7.

nascher
12-27-2005, 06:54 AM
I bet we will see at least Rivers for a half maybe the entire game cause Denver will play backups and Pit is going to win anyway the Lions are awful especially on the road.

InChiefsHell
12-27-2005, 07:21 AM
I'd expect nothing less from the Chargers. I'd want the Chiefs to keep them out of the playoffs if the roles were reversed. But you know he wouldn't say that outloud.

I guess this way, both teams can finish 10-6 and hang out on the couch together, knowing that they are better then probably any of the NFC teams that are in.

Oh, btw, we also have to win this weekend. There's that too...

Matt Helm
12-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Poor Marty, still doesn't understand that the record only means something if you get to the playoffs.