PDA

View Full Version : Eric Hicks MUST be replaced for 2006?

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Agree or disagree?

I say replacing Hicks is a very high priority for '06.

Discuss...........

RedThat
12-27-2005, 10:44 AM
I wholeheartedly agree.

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 10:44 AM
I strongly disagree with this statement. It should read, "Eric Hicks MUST be replaced for 2004."

Wile_E_Coyote
12-27-2005, 10:46 AM
if Eric gave out weekly awards would they be called Hickies

cdcox
12-27-2005, 10:46 AM
It depends. If we start 1-3, I want Hicks around, cause no one handles being 1-3 better than he does.

harpes
12-27-2005, 10:54 AM
I dont know, His numbers were much better than Carlos Hall and only a few behind Allen. He forced 2 fumbles and had 4 sacks. I'm not saying he is a probowler and a better passer rusher would help but out DT are much more needed.

Cochise
12-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah, it would be nice, but there are bigger fish to fry

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
I dont know, His numbers were much better than Carlos Hall and only a few behind Allen. He forced 2 fumbles and had 4 sacks. I'm not saying he is a probowler and a better passer rusher would help but out DT are much more needed. Carlos Hall played about 10% of the snaps that Hicks played. So, his numbers would be much lower. Hicks doesn't compare to Allen.

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah, it would be nice, but there are bigger fish to fry

......... such as?

Alphaman
12-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Replaced as a starter without question. Kept on the roster as a backup and depth.

ptlyon
12-27-2005, 11:00 AM
......... such as?

Mackerel. I really like Mackerel.

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 11:00 AM
I think, next year, the team needs are WR, DT, OL, DE, QB, FB, S in that order. Honestly, I don't care if they come from FA or the draft. However, I do think the WR and DT need to start and make in impact in '06. The others can just be contributors in '06 and starters in '07 and/or '08.

ptlyon
12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
I think, next year, the team needs are WR, DT, OL, DE, QB, FB, S in that order.

You forgot "HC".

RedThat
I have no problem replacing Hicks. I can only see that as a possibility only if Dick and Gun are not here next year.

We also have to keep in mind, their are contract issues. I think we have him locked up for the next 4 years. I do not know all the details behind his contract, but, yeah Im open to replacing him.

With all this being said, here are some DE that are FA's next year:

Aaron Kampman UFA Packers
Anthony Weaver UFA Ravens
Antonio Cochran UFA Cardinals
Antwan Lake UFA Falcons
Brandon Green RFA Rams
Carl Powell UFA Bengals
Carlos Hall UFA Chiefs
Cory Redding RFA Lions
Darren Howard UFA Saints
Demetric Evans UFA Redskins
DeQuincy Scott UFA Chargers
Jacques Cesaire RFA Chargers
Jared DeVries UFA Lions
Jarret Johnson RFA Ravens
Jimmy Wilkerson RFA Chiefs
Joe Tafoya UFA Seahawks
John Abraham UFA Jets
Juqua Thomas UFA Eagles
Kalimba Edwards UFA Lions
Kemp Rasmussen UFA Panthers
Kenny King RFA Cardinals
Kenny Peterson RFA Packers
Kimo von Oelhoffen UFA Steelers
Kyle Vanden Bosch UFA Titans
Lance Johnstone UFA Vikings
Marcellus Wiley UFA Jaguars
Marco Coleman UFA Broncos
N.D. Kalu UFA Eagles
Orpheus Roye UFA Browns
Raheem Brock UFA Colts
R-Kal Truluck UFA Cardinals
Robert Mathis RFA Colts
Rodney Bailey UFA Seahawks
Ross Kolodziej UFA Cardinals
Ryan Denney UFA Bills
Travis Hall UFA 49ers
Tyoka Jackson UFA Rams
Willie Whitehead UFA Saints

Rausch
We need to improve the DT position before removing Hicks.

Hicks is what he is: average. Not good, not piss poor, just average.

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 11:06 AM
He should have been fired in 2004. And then this off season when he said that they had the talent in the locker room to get it done, that they didn't need any new players.

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 11:10 AM
One guy out of that list who routinely impresses me is Raheem Brock of the Colts. I don't know about his stats, but when I've seen the Colts play, that guy has routinely disrupted plays. I'd love to see us sign him.

For some reason, I thought he was a DT, though. That would be even better.

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 11:12 AM
I have no problem replacing Hicks. I can only see that as a possibility only if Dick and Gun are not here next year.

We also have to keep in mind, their are contract issues. I think we have him locked up for the next 4 years. I do not know all the details behind his contract, but, yeah Im open to replacing him.

With all this being said, here are some DE that are FA's next year:

Aaron Kampman UFA Packers
Anthony Weaver UFA Ravens
Antonio Cochran UFA Cardinals
Antwan Lake UFA Falcons
Brandon Green RFA Rams
Carl Powell UFA Bengals
Carlos Hall UFA Chiefs
Cory Redding RFA Lions
Darren Howard UFA Saints
Demetric Evans UFA Redskins
DeQuincy Scott UFA Chargers
Jacques Cesaire RFA Chargers
Jared DeVries UFA Lions
Jarret Johnson RFA Ravens
Jimmy Wilkerson RFA Chiefs
Joe Tafoya UFA Seahawks
John Abraham UFA Jets
Juqua Thomas UFA Eagles
Kalimba Edwards UFA Lions
Kemp Rasmussen UFA Panthers
Kenny King RFA Cardinals
Kenny Peterson RFA Packers
Kimo von Oelhoffen UFA Steelers
Kyle Vanden Bosch UFA Titans
Lance Johnstone UFA Vikings
Marcellus Wiley UFA Jaguars
Marco Coleman UFA Broncos
N.D. Kalu UFA Eagles
Orpheus Roye UFA Browns
Raheem Brock UFA Colts
R-Kal Truluck UFA Cardinals
Robert Mathis RFA Colts
Rodney Bailey UFA Seahawks
Ross Kolodziej UFA Cardinals
Ryan Denney UFA Bills
Travis Hall UFA 49ers
Tyoka Jackson UFA Rams
Willie Whitehead UFA Saints

So, who would you recommend?

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 11:13 AM
You forgot "HC". True. But HC is a seperate issue in my book.

DTLB58
12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
I agree

But I have agreed on this point for the past 4-5 years. They don't listen to the fans :cuss: :p

Cochise
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM
......... such as?

Hicks is no standout but he is not nearly as awful as people here make him out to be. He's an average NFL defensive end. He makes 40 tackles or so and gets 4-5 sacks.

I don't get why most don't see bigger needs at DT, FS, OLB, any of the offensive line positions, or WR.

sedated
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM
We cannot get an above-average pass rash with Hicks in the game.

Defensive priorities:
1. DT
2. replace Hicks
3. replace Wesley

Offensive Priorities:
1. Tackle
2. Other Tackle (depends on BigWillie)
3. WR

Hoover
12-27-2005, 11:31 AM
We need to draft Offensive talent and buy FA D Talent

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Defensive Ends were a major weakness this year

Defensive tackles weren't much better

DLine is the major area of work for us for 2006(again)

RedThat
12-27-2005, 11:40 AM
So, who would you recommend?

I like Aaron Kampman from Green Bay. Very much has similar playing style like Jared Allen. Except Kampman is bigger and much more stronger and solid against the run. He has a motor that never stops, never quits on any plays. He does have some passrushing ability, more than Hicks thats for sure. Not as good on the passrush as Jared Allen is, but definately an improvement at LE.

Kyle Vanden bosch is also a similar type of player to Jared Allen and Aaron Kampman...He came from Nebraska, same school as Grant Wistrom. It's too bad earlier in his career he played for an awful team. He got a change of scenery with Tennessee, and had a good year this year with 12.5 sacks, whos to say he will have the same kinda year again next year, but, may be worth a shot at taking.

Darren Howard from the Saints is also available. How much $$$ is he going to demand?

One name that wasn't on that list is Trevor Pryce. He didn't have that good of a year this year. He didn't get the contract he demanded from other teams in the off-season, instead he signed for cheap with the Broncos....Could he be cut by the Broncos this off-season and be worth a shot at taking in the off-season? even though he may be on the decline I still think he is better than Hicks.

I wouldn't mind if we re-signed Carlos Hall. Only as a backup role, or for passrushing purposes. I thought he played well this year, he was just hampered with too many injuries. everytime he played though, I noticed a significant improvement from our passrush.

One guy I like, and I think he could be a potential sleeper is, Kimo Von Oelhoffen of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Great against the run, not a passrusher though, but a solid DE, who can play in a 3-4 defense, he gives us that option to play 3-4.

*Anyway, out of all these guys I like John Abraham the most. I dont think we'll sign him because we have a rushing end in Jared Allen. Plus, Abrahams contract demands are going to be ridiculous.

jjchieffan
12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
Maybe we should just pull a shanarat and pick up an entire under achieving line from another team. How the hell did he do that anyway? Everyone, myself included thought he was nuts. Those guys sucked in Cleveland, and were awfully good in Denver. Probably the best offseason move Shanarat has ever made

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
We cannot get an above-average pass rash with Hicks in the game.we can't get an average pass rush with eric hicks in the game.

he's got one move ... the bull rush, and he ain't strong enough to do that worth a dam.

the Talking Can
12-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Killin...er, "replacing" Hicks has been a priority for several years....his presence on this team is exhibit A of why our defense sucks and our coaches are idiots....

jspchief
12-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Hicks is in the early stages of a big contract. If we let him go this year, we would get hammered with a cap hit. In other words... he's not going anywhere. We're probably stuck with him for two more years.

This is all part of that horrible '04 off-season where we signed all of our bums to new contracts. We'll be paying for that off-season for years to come.

Coach
12-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Fine. Plan B.

Demote him to back-up and leave him there.

Brock
12-27-2005, 07:18 PM
Hicks is in the early stages of a big contract. If we let him go this year, we would get hammered with a cap hit. In other words... he's not going anywhere. We're probably stuck with him for two more years.

This is all part of that horrible '04 off-season where we signed all of our bums to new contracts. We'll be paying for that off-season for years to come.

Looks like a horrible deal. Hicks' salary numbers after this year are around 2.5 million per year until 2009. He got paid 1 million this year.

Absolutely ridiculous.

LiL stumppy
12-27-2005, 07:35 PM
I don't think it would be a bad idea.But I also think he has stepped up this year.He is better at stpping the run then almost any other DE on our roster.Still,thats not saying alot but its something.That being said,I dont think it should be one of our top priorities.

RedThat
12-27-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't think it would be a bad idea.But I also think he has stepped up this year.He is better at stpping the run then almost any other DE on our roster.Still,thats not saying alot but its something.That being said,I dont think it should be one of our top priorities.

I think we could use more of a DT too be honest....We lack DT's on this team, bigtime! We need a guy who can wreak havoc in the middle...Somebody whos strong like Bull, can get that interior push preventing the QB to step and complete a throw down the field!

*Bottomline, we need interior lineman that can passrush!

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Fine. Plan B.

Demote him to back-up and leave him there. Amen!

John_Wayne
12-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Looks like a horrible deal. Hicks' salary numbers after this year are around 2.5 million per year until 2009. He got paid 1 million this year.

Absolutely ridiculous. He didn't get PAID $1 million, he STOLE IT!!! :banghead:

jspchief
12-27-2005, 11:19 PM
If we could get better play from our DTs, I could probably live with Hicks. He's solid against the run and can bring pressure, even if it rarely results in sacks.

We're never going to have pro-bowlers at every position. Every team has to rely on a certain number of role players and Hicks would fit that bill nicely if Allen was more consistent and we had a real DT. The biggest problem is he's overpaid IMO.

KCChiefsMan
12-27-2005, 11:21 PM
"You my friend, are correct sir!"

Coach
12-27-2005, 11:21 PM
The biggest problem is he's overpaid IMO.

Way overpaid.

I would like to see a list of DE's and their yearly salary to see where Eric Hicks is.

I wouldn't be suprised if he's on the top 10.

Ultra Peanut
12-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Let's replace him with this Eric Hicks.

Ball hog (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=253572132).