PDA

View Full Version : 20/20 thread. Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda.

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
What should have happened to make this a Super Bowl Team or at least a "real" playoff contender?

I'll start.

We should have picked up Ty Law on the cheap.

We could have had both. Law didn't get any money from the Jets for this year. ESPN reports even though he made the Pro Bowl he's still getting just a little over a million for the season including the signing bonus.
We pay Woods $5 million a year. We could have signed Law for $1 million and moved Warfield to nickel.

We should have used Bell and DJ differently.

They are blitzers and playmakers. Too often they were misused in Gun's scheme.

We should have got a reciever that could stretch the defense.

This team with LJ is a play action team that could have great success throwing the deep ball to a fast WR.

Gun's scheme and use of his defenive talent was poor.

Come on, you are showing the blitz and not even trying to hide it but you still have your CB's playing off the WR's 10 yards?

You put Surtain on Moss, T.O. or their best WR. No left side right side chit.

What say you?

Chiefnj
12-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Woods gets 5 million a year??? Proof??

Ty Law really wasn't that good this year. He made the Pro Bowl on name recognition. There was no point signing another bump and run cover to play 8 yards of the LOS.

DJ's strength in college was in pass protection. He's being used that way.

Bell looks slow and tentative. I'm not sure that if Gun blitzed him every down he'd have any more sacks than he does now.

Samie Parker was supposed to be the receiver to stretch the D. Unfortunately, he got hurt.

I agree on Gun's scheme being poor. There was also plenty of horrible execution.

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
What should have happened to make this a Super Bowl Team or at least a "real" playoff contender?

I'll start.

We should have picked up Ty Law on the cheap.

We could have had both. Law didn't get any money from the Jets for this year. ESPN reports even though he made the Pro Bowl he's still getting just a little over a million for the season including the signing bonus.
We pay Woods $5 million a year. We could have signed Law for $1 million and moved Warfield to nickel.

We should have used Bell and DJ differently.

They are blitzers and playmakers. Too often they were misused in Gun's scheme.

This team with LJ is a play action team that could have great success throwing the deep ball to a fast WR.

Gun's scheme and use of his defenive talent was poor.

Come on, you are showing the blitz and not even trying to hide it but you still have your CB's playing off the WR's 10 yards?

You put Surtain on Moss, T.O. or their best WR. No left side right side chit.

What say you?

I agree with everything you said but I all had one.

We should have started LJ from the beginning of the season and only used Priest in certain situations.

WilliamTheIrish
12-27-2005, 11:25 AM
We shoulda beat the shiot outta philly.

We shoulda beat the shiot outta buffalo.

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 11:26 AM

Yep.

That pretty much says it all.

There also was no reason to lose to Dallas.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-27-2005, 11:27 AM
16 games from Roaf would have been huge

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Woods gets 5 million a year??? Proof??When are you going to prove that you are as smart as you think you are?

http://www.chiefswarpath.com/resources/playersalaries.htm

with his signing bonus added in comes to $5 mill against the cap.

In 2004 he made 4.46 Million

2004Chiefs (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?year=2004&team=16) $ 660,000 $ 3,500,000 $ 302,600 $ 4,462,600 $ 2,860,871 S
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=woods&player=2560

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 11:38 AM
should of hired greg williams instead gunther

Coach
12-27-2005, 11:55 AM
When are you going to prove that you are as smart as you think you are?

2004Chiefs (http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/teamdetail.aspx?year=2004&team=16) $ 660,000 $ 3,500,000 $ 302,600 $ 4,462,600 $ 2,860,871 S
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=woods&player=2560

Woods need to give up the money and give it back the Chiefs. Worst resigning since Dan Williams' holdout.

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 12:08 PM
should of hired greg williams instead gunther

The only problem with that is Williams was hired before GR quit.

Williams was hired on Jan 8, 2004 but Robinson didn't quit until Jan 13,2004.

StcChief
12-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Win games you should against lessor opponents.
Dallas
Buffalo

Put teams away when you are ahead. See Philly.

Don't do stupid cute play calling. See AS. Dallas near half time. Run LJ.

Ty Law gamble may have paid off considering Woods salary structure. In March who knew he would be ok.

ptlyon
12-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Shoulda had chili cheese fries at that Redskin game.

Woulda been nice to make the playoffs.

Coulda told you this was gonna happen.

JBucc
12-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Shoulda been a Pats fan. Oh Well I guess I'm in too deep now.

greg63
12-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Loosing; bad! Winning; good! :p

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Shoulda been a Pats fan.
http://www.forumspile.com/Funnay-Morpheus.jpg

keg in kc
12-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Anybody who thinks we should've gotten Ty Law didn't watch Ty Law play this year. And I use the term "play" loosely.

Chiefnj
12-27-2005, 01:52 PM
When are you going to prove that you are as smart as you think you are?

Take the cock out of your mouth and pay attention.

He did not make 4.46 million in 2004. The 4.46 million that you refer to was money he never received. He was scheduled to become a free agent and the Chiefs re-signed him. Look at your first link, dumbass. He had a base salary of $660,000 in 2004.

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 01:57 PM

If you ever met me or seen a pic you would know that the path to "gayness" is closed to me. But if you would post a pic of yourself I might reconsider?:hmmm:

Dude asking someone for proof about a statement or fact is whats sending this board down the path on the Star board.

InChiefsHell
12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Dude asking someone for proof about a statement or fact is whats sending this board down the path on the Star board.

And here I thought it was all the facts being pulled from people's asses... :hmmm:

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
And here I thought it was all the facts being pulled from people's asses... :hmmm:

This is an internet BB where posters talk Chiefs football not a court of law. You don't believe a poster then don't believe it. You can pull facts and stats out to support just about any position or statement.

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 02:28 PM

He did not make 4.46 million in 2004. The 4.46 million that you refer to was money he never received. He was scheduled to become a free agent and the Chiefs re-signed him. Look at your first link, dumbass. He had a base salary of $660,000 in 2004.

So when a player becomes a FA and signs a new contract with a signing bonus he doesn't receive the signing bonus? Interesting. :rolleyes:

His base salary was $660,000 and he received a $3.5 million signing bonus which counts against the cap plus other bonus = 4.46 million last year.

Saggysack
12-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Anybody who thinks we should've gotten Ty Law didn't watch Ty Law play this year. And I use the term "play" loosely.

Yeah. We could have never used his 7 INTs, 7 PDs and 1 TD.

Considering we don't have a CB that matches those number I can see where you say we couldn't have used him.

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 04:20 PM
So when a player becomes a FA and signs a new contract with a signing bonus he doesn't receive the signing bonus? Interesting. :rolleyes:

His base salary was $660,000 and he received a $3.5 million signing bonus which counts against the cap plus other bonus = 4.46 million last year.

I wasn't going to say that and get into some internet argument but it does seem like a valid point. :)

sedated
12-27-2005, 04:37 PM

We have 2 speedsters:

Kennison (not as fast as he used to be, but he's no Keyshawn)
&
Parker (Oregon track star)

What more do you want?

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 04:39 PM
We have 2 speedsters:

Kennison (not as fast as he used to be, but he's no Keyshawn)
&
Parker (Oregon track star)

What more do you want?

My problem with our WR's is that they are average or below average and we don't have a true #1 WR. We don't have that go-to-guy when we need to make a play in a passing situation.

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 04:42 PM
My problem with our WR's is that they are average or below average and we don't have a true #1 WR. We don't have that go-to-guy when we need to make a play in a passing situation.

I'm still wondering why we need one. I'd love to have a go-to WR, but we've certainly fared pretty well without one.

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm still wondering why we need one. I'd love to have a go-to WR, but we've certainly fared pretty well without one.

Our WR's are to inconsistent IMO.

Just think if we had a WR like Harrison or Holt and what would happen to our O and especially for a guy like TonyG. We would be almost unstoppable.

IMO the Chiefs should have tried to sign a guy like Mushin Muhammad this past offseason.

philfree
12-27-2005, 05:34 PM

What is a true "#1" WR? IMO Our WRs are fine with both Kennison and Parker on the field at the same time. Parker is just breaking the ice with his talent. Kennison if has a good game this week will go over 1000 yards for the 2nd year in a row. IMO Eddie is a #1 what ever that really is. Yeah he's getting along in his career but what he's lost in his speed he's made up for with gained savvy.

PhilFree:arrow:

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 05:41 PM
What is a true "#1" WR? IMO Our WRs are fine with both Kennison and Parker on the field at the same time. Parker is just breaking the ice with his talent. Kennison if has a good game this week will go over 1000 yards for the 2nd year in a row. IMO Eddie is a #1 what ever that really is. Yeah he's getting along in his career but what he's lost in his speed he's made up for with gained savvy.

PhilFree:arrow:

A true #1 WR is one that a D-Coordinator has to game plan around, a difference maker and one that needs to be accounted for at all times. Our WR's do not match that criteria, our WR's are an after thought. D-Coordinators game plan for our running game and TonyG.

True #1 WR's are: Harrison, Holt, Chad Johnson, TO, Santana Moss, Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress, Mushin Muhammad, Steve Smith, Deion Branch, Chris Chambers...etc etc.

4th and Long
12-27-2005, 05:51 PM
When ifs and buts are candies and nuts, we'll all have a Merry Christmas.

This thread is pointless.

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 05:52 PM
We should've run to the right side on the play where Willie Roaf got injured.

We should've passed on the play where Priest got injured.

We should've put an intern on Eric Warfield last season to call him a cab any time he was out.

We should've introduced Welbourn to natural supplements that weren't banned.

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 05:53 PM

But I did have a merry Christmas. What does that do to your theory?

4th and Long
12-27-2005, 06:01 PM
But I did have a merry Christmas. What does that do to your theory?
I furthers my second theory that someone premedicates all those M&M you consume.

morphius
12-27-2005, 06:17 PM
We shouldn't have let Roaf get injured, so that we could have done all the things we would have liked to do, like throw deep, get the ball to Gonzo, and score in the damn red zone.

The 2 series for Priest 1 series for LJ was more of a distraction to our team not the other, and told the D exactly what we were going to do. The best plays were when one would sub in for the other one in a series, mix things up a bit and keep the D off balance.

As Rainman mentioned, Warfield should have used a Taxi so we didn't have to suffer all of those games with McCleon. The last few games Mccleon should have been on the bench with Washington getting his spot. Our 1 and 2 DB's should be up hitting the WR on the line, I think the coaches have them going for the big play on the outside instead of assisting the blitz to give it that extra second to get there.

We could go on and on for hours.

greg63
12-28-2005, 12:26 AM

Yep!

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their bellies.

Saggysack
12-28-2005, 12:43 AM
Actually, the thread isn't pointless at all. Far from it.

Have any of you ever learned from previous mistakes?

I would have to say, that to be able to learn from those previous mistakes, one must first recognize what those mistakes were.

InChiefsHell
12-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Actually, the thread isn't pointless at all. Far from it.

Have any of you ever learned from previous mistakes?

I would have to say, that to be able to learn from those previous mistakes, one must first recognize what those mistakes were.

Yeah, but DV, CP, Gun and company don't read this website, so they won't be learning from their mistakes. At least not here... :p

Mecca
12-28-2005, 07:50 AM
Win games you should against lessor opponents.
Dallas
Buffalo

Put teams away when you are ahead. See Philly.

Don't do stupid cute play calling. See AS. Dallas near half time. Run LJ.

Ty Law gamble may have paid off considering Woods salary structure. In March who knew he would be ok.

Dallas really isn't a lesser opponent, in alot of ways they're going to be exactly what we are, 10-6 no playoffs.

I wanted Plaxico Burress in free agency but I know why they didn't do that. Alot of people would have went nuts if the Chiefs had dropped big money to a WR when everyone was screaming defense.

Ty Law would have been a better add than Surtain if we were going to play coverages like this. Surtain=man corner, Law=zone corner.

Count Alex's Wins
12-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Dallas really isn't a lesser opponent, in alot of ways they're going to be exactly what we are, 10-6 no playoffs.

They have a better shot at making it than we do. They only need one team to lose.

greg63
12-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Yeah, but DV, CP, Gun and company don't read this website, so they won't be learning from their mistakes. At least not here... :p

...Kind of what I was thinkin.

Maybe it would be different if we could get them all to cooperate and spend hours on end reading the threads here on the Planet for advice. :D

morphius
12-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Actually I thought Gun did a lot of reading on the Internet. The other two though are doubtful.

hawkchief
12-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Sadly,

If good old Carl had done the things you outlined over the past four years, isntead of trying to jam in all of the changes this year, the Chiefs would have been to the playoffs and probably the Super Bowl a few times during that period. The problems don't just stem form decisions made this year, but over the past several. Pathetic GM'ing by Peterson. And, by the way, the guy is a jerk of a person as well.

ct
12-28-2005, 09:39 AM

I can't say for sure if your #s are correct or not, but if they are, I have to ask...how long have you been a football fan? do you not know by now that signing bonus' are spread over the life of the contract for the cap? I count $660K + $3.5M/?years + bonuses for last years cap. I have a very hard time seeing that add up to $4.46M.

ct
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM

yep

InChiefsHell
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM
...Kind of what I was thinkin.

Maybe it would be different if we could get them all to cooperate and spend hours on end reading the threads here on the Planet for advice. :D

Exactly! If they would just do exactly what us fans want, we would be in the Super Bowl EVERY SEASON!! Seems simple enough to me...

...Dammit Carl!! :cuss: