PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild/Reload? 2006 Off-Season Priorities & Wish List

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
I tried to think of the top 3-4 things I would do if I was in Carl Peterson's position. Unfortunately, the list became longer than 3-4.... :banghead:

If you became GM of the Chiefs in January, what would your "Wish List" look like? :hmmm:

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 11:02 AM
if this is just a wish list -Pat Williams NT

Rausch
12-27-2005, 11:10 AM
Larry Tripplett or Chris Hovan would be nice...

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Hire Bob Stoops
Try my best to keep the entire O coaching staff as long as Stoops was OK with that.
Fire/Not re-sign the entire D staff.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 11:15 AM
if this is just a wish list -Pat Williams NT

I'd be okay, going to a 3-4 too; as long as we find someone to replace Bell, and add some depth at LB.

BigChiefFan
12-27-2005, 11:15 AM
Reggie Wayne may become a FA. He's a sure-handed receiver. Our WRs are still average and I think we need to address it. We need a future LT. I still think CB could be improved and of course FS is great in pass coverage, lousy in run support. There's room for improvement.

B_Ambuehl
12-27-2005, 11:18 AM
- Get LJ resigned
- Get Waters resigned
- Get Allen resigned
- Get Welbourne resigned.
- Get Carlos Hall resigned

Realistically, if those 5 things can be accomplished without losing anybody or anybody holding, out I'd consider the offseason a success. There won't be much money for anythign else but since you said "wish" list:

- After the game next Sunday, get Gunther on the first flight out of Kansas City.

- Pick whatever automaton head coach you want of the many available as long as you keep one of the current offensive assistants as O-coordinator.

- Move Warfield to FS permanently and pick up another potential starting young corner either FA or in the draft

- Draft a left tackle in the first round of the draft

- Resign either Browning or Dalton but not both. Sign DT Kimomeatau from the Ravens.

- Release Bell and then hopefully resign him to veterans minimum.

- Pick up a defensive end to replace Hicks.

- Get a defensive coach who will consider giving Ryan Sims some reps at DE in the 3-4

- Get a defensive coach who will consider giving Jared Allen more reps at OLB in the 3-4

- Sign a talented yet rejected wide receiver or 2 in free agency. There won't be any shortage of those.

- Sign one of the younger quarterback rejects to eventually take over for green. (Harrington, Ramsey, Carr, etc.)

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 11:20 AM
I'd be okay, going to a 3-4 too; as long as we find someone to replace Bell, and add some depth at LB.

He can play both.

dirk digler
12-27-2005, 11:23 AM
I will state this point, the most important decision in the offseason is going to be who will be our head coach and the staff that they assemble. This will set the tone for the rest of the offseason.

WE HAVE TO GET THIS DECISION RIGHT!

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I will state this point, the most important decision in the offseason is going to be who will be our head coach and the staff that they assemble. This will set the tone for the rest of the offseason.

id bet heavy on Herm.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 11:35 AM

Agreed

sedated
12-27-2005, 11:41 AM
a good HC will fix us with minimal turnover.

get rid of Bell, get some pass rush, keep O-line dominance

Hoover
12-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Now is the time for a new HC!

We can bring in a new HC and at the same time give him plenty of toys to play with.

On OffenseWe have, LJ, Tony G, Trent Green, and a solid core of Olineman. Heck we might be able to return Shields and Roaf. Not a bad situation to step into.

On Defense we have holes, but 3/4 of the Secondary is solid, 2/3 of the LB corps are young and solid, and the D line sucks, well except for Allen.

I think any HC candidate would love to take over right now. Where else would you want to go? Lions, Rams, Ravens, Titans, Jets? I'd take KC with our talent, Stadium, and Fans any day.

ClevelandChief
12-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Carlos hall should be starting opposite of Allen, he's young, he's good and he's getting a bad rap because the Chiefs aren't using him right.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 11:49 AM
a good HC will fix us with minimal turnover.

get rid of Bell, get some pass rush, keep O-line dominance
KC would have to have some phenominal drafts to not lose the talent level on O, and FA.
IMO it comes down to trying to keep the O hitting on 8 or trying to get the D to hit on 8.

regardless i think KC will have some down seasons.

Coach
12-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Carlos hall should be starting opposite of Allen, he's young, he's good and he's getting a bad rap because the Chiefs aren't using him right.

No. He's getting a bad rap becuase he can't stay ****ing healthy.

ameliorated1216
12-27-2005, 11:52 AM
Steve Hutchinson, OG Seahawks-2006 FA... I think would be the best replacement for Shields.

BigRedChief
12-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Replace Kendall Gammons? ROFL

After we saw how the snaps effect the game and his not bungling one frigging snap in what, 5 years?

That dude is going to break the $1 million salary bubble next year.

Johnson&Johnson
12-27-2005, 12:02 PM
- Get LJ resigned
- Get Waters resigned
- Get Allen resigned

Realistically, if those 5 things can be accomplished without losing anybody or anybody holding, out I'd consider the offseason a success. There won't be much money for anythign else but since you said "wish" list:

- After the game next Sunday, get Gunther on the first flight out of Kansas City.

- Pick whatever automaton head coach you want of the many available as long as you keep one of the current offensive assistants as O-coordinator.

- Move Warfield to FS permanently and pick up another potential starting young corner either FA or in the draft

- Resign either Browning or Dalton but not both. Sign DT Kimomeatau from the Ravens.

- Get a defensive coach who will consider giving Ryan Sims some reps at DE in the 3-4

- Get a defensive coach who will consider giving Jared Allen more reps at OLB in the 3-4

- Sign a talented yet rejected wide receiver or 2 in free agency. There won't be any shortage of those.

- Sign one of the younger quarterback rejects to eventually take over for green. (Harrington, Ramsey, Carr, etc.)

Good list. But I made it easier and summarize your whole list with one single move that would accomplished most of it if not all.

FIRE CARL Peterson :mad:!!1(the fraud thats been cheating Chiefs fans for 16 years, teasing us with division titles with empty promises)

keg in kc
12-27-2005, 12:07 PM
Lower the beer prices and get hotter cheerleaders.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Replace Kendall Gammons? ROFL

After we saw how the snaps effect the game and his not bungling one frigging snap in what, 5 years?

That dude is going to break the $1 million salary bubble next year.

I guess he'll only be 38 next year; I was thinking he was gonna hit 40....hopefully he has 2-3 years left, but he's getting "up there" for a football player.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Larry Tripplett or Chris Hovan would be nice...

Tripplett would be intriguing.

id bet heavy on Herm (as HC).

God, I hope not. :banghead:

Lower the beer prices and get hotter cheerleaders.

That would be Plan B if they decide to continue to not get serious about the product they put on the field.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Steve Hutchinson, OG Seahawks-2006 FA... I think would be the best replacement for Shields.

Nice call. I'd love to see it, but won't hold my breath. He's an Iowa boy though, isn't he? :hmmm:

I agree he should get the opportunity. I'm not sure he will, as others have said, be able to stay healthy.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 12:56 PM

God, I hope not. :banghead:

To be honest i can see why it would be herm after the conversations i had this weekend.
ever wonder why CP keeps using the 'good ol boys' club to get coaching in KC?
Plus im convinced that KC is going to have to regroup and the next coach will most likely be a sacrafice.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 01:01 PM
To be honest i can see why it would be herm after the conversations i had this weekend..

Elaborate, please? :hmmm:

ever wonder why CP keeps using the 'good ol boys' club to get coaching in KC?

Plus im convinced that KC is going to have to regroup and the next coach will most likely be a sacrafice.

I know; just hoping that maybe year 17 of his "five year plan" may have awaken him from his stupidity..... :shake:

If we are regrouping, then I say "Why not, Saunders then?"--as long as he gets to name his Defensive staff....and keeps no more than 2 or 3 of the current crop.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Elaborate, please? :hmmm:

I know; just hoping that maybe year 17 of his "five year plan" may have awaken him from his stupidity..... :shake:

If we are regrouping, then I say "Why not, Saunders then?"--as long as he gets to name his Defensive staff....and keeps no more than 2 or 3 of the current crop.

Herm is from the old camp and up and comers dont think they A)want to go through the rebuild stage in KC when other options, talent wise are better.
Dont think they can get along w/ CP.

makes sence to me.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Herm is from the old camp and up and comers dont think they A)want to go through the rebuild stage in KC when other options, talent wise are better.
Dont think they can get along w/ CP.

makes sence to me.

I understand the point and why some would say that, but not sure I agree with it:

1. Our young talent is pretty good. LJ, Parker, Sampson/Black, Colquit are about it on the Offensive side, but on the Defense there is DJ, Kawika, Allen, Fox, and maybe a couple of others that could turn into something with some coaching (Grigsby, Hodge, Long, Svitek, Thorpe, Parquet--maybe even Siavii and Wilkerson?)

1a. With a corp of 8-10 young players, we do have some good veterans that make for a reasonable mix of veteran experience and youth. If Roaf comes back next year, the Offense will be okay; and the defense could be only a couple of players away....I just don't see that dramatic rebuilding is necessary--at least NEXT year. Depending on next year, 2007 could be ugly though....

2. CP may be around for another year or two, but I'm convinced this will be his last chance. Either he does it this stint, or he's gone. I realize that's purely speculation, but Clark Hunt will have to see the light soon, unless CP pulls a rabbit out of his azz here in the next two or three years.

3. As Head Coaching jobs go, I would think the KC job would be top ten--especially if they get the stadium issue resolved here soon. I mean, KC fans and Arrowhead have earned them that spot, at least for now.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 01:34 PM
what youre saying is that it ALL hinges on what a few decide to do. I can see herm taking this job for the reasons i listed but cant see nor are there alot of winning coaches or up and comers in a position or want the position for the exact negatives you listed.

yes there are good players but the cream of the crop(coaching wise) are usually in a good place.
the other thing to think about is how much "fixing" will the next coaching staff have to do? What personel will they want/need on the offense if the new HC decides to scrap the O(it could happen)?
and samething on D.

and there will be other jobs available.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 01:45 PM
... I can see herm taking this job for the reasons i listed but cant see nor are there alot of winning coaches or up and comers in a position or want the position for the exact negatives you listed....and there will be other jobs available.

If that's truly the case then, maybe Herm wouldn't be a terrible choice afterall....we'd definitely be on the short-term fix/band-aid approach to "rebuilding" then, IMO. And Herm may be able to put that together more quickly, than a new guy looking to start from the ground up....

the other thing to think about is how much "fixing" will the next coaching staff have to do?

I suspect that is THE key to the whole question. Are the players we have "fixable"? Or is it more the talent. As a "the glass if half full" guy, I'm hoping it's fixable....with reasonable effort.

What personel will they want/need on the offense if the new HC decides to scrap the O(it could happen)?

IMHO, that would be silly to do, at the moment. As long as we've got Green/Collins, at QB. Once we draft at QBoTF, and lose two or three Offensive linemen who've been critical to this system....then it would make sense though.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I all want is a coaching staff that knows how to use our Defensive players. Besides our D-line, we have some talent out there on D, it is just not being used right. Thats all I want.

Oh and a 5'7'' blow up doll that looks like Natalie Portman (with long hair).

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I suspect that is THE key to the whole question. Are the players we have "fixable"? Or is it more the talent. As a "the glass if half full" guy, I'm hoping it's fixable....with reasonable effort.

IMHO, that would be silly to do, at the moment. As long as we've got Green/Collins, at QB. Once we draft at QBoTF, and lose two or three Offensive linemen who've been critical to this system....then it would make sense though.

this is purely opinion - but w/ the recievers KC has and the RB LJ could be IF CP brings in a DC or D minded coach it would be very easy to go back to what many consider 'marty ball'.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 01:51 PM
If that's truly the case then, maybe Herm wouldn't be a terrible choice afterall....we'd definitely be on the short-term fix/band-aid approach to "rebuilding" then, IMO. And Herm may be able to put that together more quickly, than a new guy looking to start from the ground up....

ding! fries are done.

Spicy McHaggis
12-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Chris Hovan would be nice...

Wiegmann would love that.

Hovan had one decent season a couple years ago and hasn't done shit since. I wouldn't mind Tripplett though.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 01:59 PM
ding! fries are done.

Sorry. I'm kinda slow, sometimes. :banghead:

:p

Man, I was SOOOOOO hoping we weren't gonna see Martyball again.... :deevee:

tk13
12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't think we really have to do a massive rebuilding job. We'll see. We'll definitely have holes to fill, and we probably will see some drop off offensively as our HOF linemen retire, but hopefully we can counter that with defensive improvement and become a balanced team. I think bringing Herm in would help improve the defense. If Roaf would stay, we could go Roaf/Waters/Wiegmann/Black/Welbourn across the line, still have a really good running game and play off that. Trent's still hanging in there, maybe he can be like a Gannon situation because he doesn't have the amount of wear and tear on his arm that most QB's his age do.

Herm gets a bum rap around here, but under his tenure Abraham and Ellis developed, he drafted a couple really good defenders in Dwayne Robertson and Vilma, got solid value out of guys like Erik Coleman and Justin Miller, and made good, but cheap FA pickups in guys like Eric Barton and Ty Law. I'm a big Herm fan. I think he might be the best guy that'll be available. The only guy I see coming available I might like more than him is Pete Carroll, but Carl would never give him the power he wanted.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Sorry. I'm kinda slow, sometimes. :banghead:

:p

Man, I was SOOOOOO hoping we weren't gonna see Martyball again.... :deevee:

doesnt bother me. Defense and a power running game are the keys.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't think we really have to do a massive rebuilding job. We'll see. We'll definitely have holes to fill, and we probably will see some drop off offensively as our HOF linemen retire, but hopefully we can counter that with defensive improvement and become a balanced team. I think bringing Herm in would help improve the defense. If Roaf would stay, we could go Roaf/Waters/Wiegmann/Black/Welbourn across the line, still have a really good running game and play off that. Trent's still hanging in there, maybe he can be like a Gannon situation because he doesn't have the amount of wear and tear on his arm that most QB's his age do.

Herm gets a bum rap around here, but under his tenure Abraham and Ellis developed, he drafted a couple really good defenders in Dwayne Robertson and Vilma, got solid value out of guys like Erik Coleman and Justin Miller, and made good, but cheap FA pickups in guys like Eric Barton and Ty Law. I'm a big Herm fan. I think he might be the best guy that'll be available. The only guy I see coming available I might like more than him is Pete Carroll, but Carl would never give him the power he wanted.

I'm slowly coming around to accepting this point of view.

As much as I'll miss the excitement of this offense, if we can still run the ball and play good "D," as MOhillbilly is saying, then we'll remain competitive.

I sure hope if it comes down to Herm, that he's able to retain a lot of the playbook that we've had such success with though. I do like Herm's Defensive credentials. I just DON'T want to see us give up anything of significance to get his contract with the Jets terminated though.

Short of a Pete Carrroll-type hire, it's probably the most realistic possibility.

tk13
12-27-2005, 02:25 PM
I don't think Herm would tinker with the offense too much either, I don't think he'd take us back to the stone age. There might be some changes, but I think Herm would realize our offense is pretty good and not tinker with it too much, just like Dungy did in Indy. Dungy and Herm are still great friends, Herm actually spent most of his career coming up under Dungy's wing. Herm's been a part of good defenses everywhere he's went, he played on DV's #1 ranked defenses in Philly, coached in KC under Marty when our defense was awesome, went to Tampa Bay with Dungy when they built their great defense, then developed a pretty good defense in New York.

RedNFeisty
12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Rebuild, start with Peterson and work down the line. This team has been filling holes for years and it is not getting the job done. I think now would be as good of a time as any to start fresh and young. We haven't seen a trophey in decades, so why not spend the few years it may take to bring in young blood, ones that don't know Peterson.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Rebuild, start with Peterson and work down the line. This team has been filling holes for years and it is not getting the job done. I think now would be as good of a time as any to start fresh and young. We haven't seen a trophey in decades, so why not spend the few years it may take to bring in young blood, ones that don't know Peterson.

I'd agree. Except that CP just signed a four year contract extension with the Hunts this past year.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 02:33 PM
As long as we turn over the entire coaching staff, I'm good with everything else...

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't think Herm would tinker with the offense too much either, I don't think he'd take us back to the stone age. There might be some changes, but I think Herm would realize our offense is pretty good and not tinker with it too much, just like Dungy did in Indy. Dungy and Herm are still great friends, Herm actually spent most of his career coming up under Dungy's wing. Herm's been a part of good defenses everywhere he's went, he played on DV's #1 ranked defenses in Philly, coached in KC under Marty when our defense was awesome, went to Tampa Bay with Dungy when they built their great defense, then developed a pretty good defense in New York.

Keep talking, you almost have me convinced.

I just really wanna see a TOUGH team out there again.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 02:44 PM
As long as we turn over the entire coaching staff, I'm good with everything else...

yes sir.

I asked about MT.....then had to mention where he coached.:)

RedNFeisty
12-27-2005, 02:45 PM
I'd agree. Except that CP just signed a four year contract extension with the Hunts this past year.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Miracles do happen, we can keep praying... :deevee:

SCTrojan
12-27-2005, 02:46 PM
I guess the first question I'd ask is do you mean what would get us to the Super Bowl next year? Because, that, in my mind, is a different question than what the options you offer seem to suggest - which is how do we get the organization right for the long haul?

If you want to get there next year, start recruting Roaf and Shields right now. IMO, that means Vermeil has to be the coach. Look for some help along the D-line. The tackles are serviceable, but only Allen gets any consistent pressure from the DEs. I think the LBs/DBs can get us there if we can get another consistent playmaker on the line. This may sound crazy, but I think Sims has the talent to do it.

On the offensive side, besides begging Roaf and Shields to return, find a gamebreaker at receiver. Samie has the speed, but he doesn't have the technical skill right now - drops too many balls, doesn't run great routes, etc.

I don't know what our cap situation for next year is. But if we have to mortgage it to get there next year, I say do it. We are on the brink right now, I think. If we try to build over time, we'll never get there.

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 02:48 PM
SC- a hardass HC could change Parker,but i wouldnt want to take the chance and a FA WR is a must.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 02:48 PM

You know, I was about to respond that your assessment seems a bit cheery....but as I thought about it.....

with the right coaching staff, I suspect we are a healthy Willie Roaf, a DT, and one LB away from being 14-2 this past year. :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Miracles do happen, we can keep praying... :deevee:

Does Clint moonlight as a hitman by chance? :hmmm:

RedNFeisty
12-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Keep talking, you almost have me convinced.

I just really wanna see a TOUGH team out there again.

Agreed! I want a tough team, if they want to run it, run it with ferocity. If they want to throw it, do it with fierceness. Just play with intensity and an aspiration to win.

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 02:50 PM
yes sir.

I asked about MT.....then had to mention where he coached.:)

What?

RedNFeisty
12-27-2005, 02:51 PM

I need to check out this Herm guy.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 02:56 PM
I need to check out this Laz guy.

SCTrojan
12-27-2005, 02:56 PM
with the right coaching staff, I suspect we are a healthy Willie Roaf, a DT, and one LB away from being 14-2 this past year. :banghead:

I think with this coaching staff, we were a healthy Roaf, DT and a gamebreaking WR from being a playoff team with a bye.

MO - I agree. We need to go FA WR this off-season. There was a quick screen to Kennison during the Charger game that I thought should have broke wide open, but he just couldn't get there. Five years ago, he would have.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 02:58 PM
I guess the first question I'd ask is do you mean what would get us to the Super Bowl next year? Because, that, in my mind, is a different question than what the options you offer seem to suggest - which is how do we get the organization right for the long haul?

That is precisely the dilemma we are faced with, IMO. With CP extended for four more years, I suspect we are in it "for next year" despite the fact some of us may want to see us start from the ground up. So, yes, I agree we in it for NEXT year...

If you want to get there next year, start recruting Roaf and Shields right now. IMO, that means Vermeil has to be the coach. Look for some help along the D-line. The tackles are serviceable, but only Allen gets any consistent pressure from the DEs. I think the LBs/DBs can get us there if we can get another consistent playmaker on the line. This may sound crazy, but I think Sims has the talent to do it.

On the offensive side, besides begging Roaf and Shields to return, find a gamebreaker at receiver. Samie has the speed, but he doesn't have the technical skill right now - drops too many balls, doesn't run great routes, etc..

Defensively, we need a DE, but I'm convinced we also need a stud DT--one we haven't had for a long, long time. That would make a huge difference in the whole pressure thing, as far as I'm concerned. Sims has the potential, but can he stay healthy--I'd hedge my bets on it.

Offensively, I agree completely. And get an understudy for Roaf in--NOW.

I don't know what our cap situation for next year is. But if we have to mortgage it to get there next year, I say do it. We are on the brink right now, I think. If we try to build over time, we'll never get there.

I'm with you here too; if we have committed to CP with the four year contract, then let's do it, NOW. Save the cap worries for a true "rebuilding".

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 02:59 PM
What?

I think he was referring to your pick as HC....the Carolina DC? :shrug:

MOhillbilly
12-27-2005, 03:00 PM
What?

I asked about the DC in Carolina....said hes a great D-line coach.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 03:00 PM
I need to check out this Herm guy.

Herman Edwards. ;)

SCTrojan
12-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Of course, all of this will be rendered moot when the Broncos beat the Chargers, the Lions pull off the biggest upset of the year on the road against the Steelers, we beat the Bengals, we go on the most remarkable playoff run in the history of the NFL (beating the Pats, the Broncos and the Colts) and then hammer the Seahawks in Detroit. :)

RedNFeisty
12-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Herman Edwards. ;)

Thanks!

Others need to pratice some decorum. :harumph:

ROFL

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I asked about the DC in Carolina....said hes a great D-line coach.

Oh, Trgovac. We could use somebody that understands good line play...

sedated
12-27-2005, 03:51 PM
Of course, all of this will be rendered moot when the Broncos beat the Chargers, the Lions pull off the biggest upset of the year on the road against the Steelers, we beat the Bengals, we go on the most remarkable playoff run in the history of the NFL (beating the Pats, the Broncos and the Colts) and then hammer the Seahawks in Detroit. :)

I think it just moved a little

Sybil
12-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Reload, while we can. Rebuilding this team entirely will take a few years.

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 04:14 PM
I think the team has another year in the window as long as the OL stays intact. Don't do anything radical this offseason, and try to address the weaknesses at DT and DE, while adding a WR and FS.

Warrior5
12-27-2005, 06:58 PM

On the offensive side, besides begging Roaf and Shields to return, find a gamebreaker at receiver. Samie has the speed, but he doesn't have the technical skill right now - drops too many balls, doesn't run great routes, etc.

Assuming the front office adopts this strategy, and that the Chiefs will be constrained by the cap, here's a few ways to re-tool within the cap:

Up front, to free up $, dump some of the worthless players (Woods, Barber, McCleon, Bartee).

Offense:
O-line - Recruit Roaf and Shields now; if Shields retires, move Welborn to RG, then move Parquet or Sampson to starting RT.
WR - FA; to give us legitimate stretch.
QB - FA; sign Harrington or Carr to back-up aging Green.

Defense:
DT - draft; a stud rookie can start at this position.
DE - get Carlos Hall healthy and start over Hicks.
RLB - if staying with 3-4, move Fox or Griffin to replace Bell, or scheme to keep Bell at LOS since he's useless in space. If switching to 3-4, get a FA NT, move Fox or Griffin to RLB, and move Bell to ILB next to Mitchell.

the Talking Can
12-27-2005, 07:29 PM
imho, a DT is the single most important acquisition we need to make...we don't have a DT on this roster worth shit, not one...a real DT would help Allen and Mitchell and produce QB pressure up the middle so that QBs can't sit in the pocket and torch us - as they have for years of DV....must get a real DT...good teams have good lines...

some new coaches would be nice too....

after that an OT, a WR, and DE/back up DT

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 07:58 PM
It's too bad we've wasted so many draft picks on worthless defensive tackles.

On the one hand, we have so many needs for that 1st-round draft pick that we've neglected for years in favor of trying to find that one DT.

On the other hand, free agent DT's very rarely pan out. The only way we've really got a chance to get a stud that can contribute right away is in the draft.

It's a catch 22.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 08:44 PM
It's too bad we've wasted so many draft picks on worthless defensive tackles.

On the one hand, we have so many needs for that 1st-round draft pick that we've neglected for years in favor of trying to find that one DT.

On the other hand, free agent DT's very rarely pan out. The only way we've really got a chance to get a stud that can contribute right away is in the draft.

It's a catch 22.

Does anyone KNOW what kind of season Corey Simon had in Indy? I mean, he seemed to start strong....but I haven't heard much about him of late--and his stats don't knock off your socks. But a true-run-stopping double-teamed stud doesn't usually have flashy stats...

I'm more inclined to roll the dice in the draft again, IF there is a real stud available when we pick. Make WR the #1 priority in FA.

htismaqe
12-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Does anyone KNOW what kind of season Corey Simon had in Indy? I mean, he seemed to start strong....but I haven't heard much about him of late--and his stats don't knock off your socks. But a true-run-stopping double-teamed stud doesn't usually have flashy stats...

I'm more inclined to roll the dice in the draft again, IF there is a real stud available when we pick. Make WR the #1 priority in FA.

There's a problem, though, with THIS draft.

The best DT on the board is a monster of a kid out of Oregon. He's like 6'5" and 350 and I can't pronounce his name. But he's a top 10 pick. The other 2 guys that look like dead-lock 1st-rounders are only 280 pounds or so. The one guy that looks to be available when we pick is Roderique Wright of Texas, and his scouting report might as well say "Chester McGlockton" at the top. Every scouting report I've said says he's big on talent and small on effort.

On the flipside, this is one of the best 1st-round crops of OT in probably 15 years...

Coach
12-27-2005, 08:57 PM

The best DT on the board is a monster of a kid out of Oregon. He's like 6'5" and 350 and I can't pronounce his name. But he's a top 10 pick. The other 2 guys that look like dead-lock 1st-rounders are only 280 pounds or so. The one guy that looks to be available when we pick is Roderique Wright of Texas, and his scouting report might as well say "Chester McGlockton" at the top. Every scouting report I've said says he's big on talent and small on effort.

On the flipside, this is one of the best 1st-round crops of OT in probably 15 years...

I agree with your comments. However, remember last year's draft that DJ was supposed to be a top 10 pick, but he kept sliding to us. So I guess in a way, anything can happen.

I agree on the best 1st round crops of OT's. If Roaf and Shields decides to call it quits, I would like for the Chiefs to try to get a OT, and hopefully get Steve Hutchinson as the G position.

Wishful thinking I suppose.

Cochise
12-27-2005, 09:04 PM
all of the above

Coach
12-27-2005, 09:06 PM
The only thing that worries me about the OT's is the Chiefs getting another Trezelle Jenkins.

Mr. Kotter
12-27-2005, 09:27 PM
The only thing that worries me about the OT's is the Chiefs getting another Trezelle Jenkins.

As long as CP is involved in the draft selections, that's a possibility....then again he did okay with Tait.

Sybil
12-27-2005, 10:02 PM

We need to draft OT in the first round; and hope we can scoop a DT up in FA.

Claynus
12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
- Get LJ resigned
- Get Waters resigned
- Get Allen resigned

Why can't we make Ambuehl the GM?

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Why can't we make Ambuehl the GM?

Because CP just called me; said, "Hey, can you bail my butt out? I'll make you my assistant. Then during your tenure here we'll boot Denny Thum to the curb, and I'll set you up as my successor? Deal?"

Mecca
12-28-2005, 09:10 AM
We'll never touch Hutchinson, Seattle has close to 20 mill of cap room after this year. They'll franchise tag him if they have to.

No matter how good the Oregon DT is, Haloti Ngata. I'd bet there'd be atleast a few people here who if we picked him would bust out with "oh god not another Oregon DT!"

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 09:20 AM
We'll never touch Hutchinson, Seattle has close to 20 mill of cap room after this year. They'll franchise tag him if they have to.

No matter how good the Oregon DT is, Haloti Ngata. I'd bet there'd be atleast a few people here who if we picked him would bust out with "oh god not another Oregon DT!"

We won't get a shot at him anyway, he'll go in the top 10 most likely.

ct
12-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Richard Seymour, cutting loose Woods, McCleon and Bell to clear room.