PDA

View Full Version : The Bird Flu

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 11:19 AM
how many of you have died from it this year?

http://img437.exs.cx/img437/5366/crazybirdpic0xr.jpg

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 11:57 AM
damnit ... i'm gonna keep bumping this until someone laughs at my crazy bird picture. :cuss:

penguinz
12-27-2005, 11:59 AM
This thread is almost as stupid as the media scare about the bird flu.

siberian khatru
12-27-2005, 12:03 PM
I died from it, but luckily it was the Phoenix strain, which means I automatically become re-born.

beavis
12-27-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm still waiting on the mutation, then I plan on buying about 100 chickens.

I've almost become completely numb to this kind of crap the media throws out there to make a story, thus scaring the crap out of the unsuspecting population.

Donger
12-27-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm still waiting on the mutation, then I plan on buying about 100 chickens.

I've almost become completely numb to this kind of crap the media throws out there to make a story, thus scaring the crap out of the unsuspecting population.

What kind of crap are the media throwing out?

angel
12-27-2005, 12:16 PM
damnit ... i'm gonna keep bumping this until someone laughs at my crazy bird picture. :cuss:
did you draw it?

StcChief
12-27-2005, 01:10 PM
ROFL :)

Ebolapox
12-27-2005, 01:27 PM
This thread is almost as stupid as the media scare about the bird flu.

eh, I'm no jimnasium (who's already worked in the public health field), but I'm majoring in epidemiology--and did a speech on avian influenza (bird flu) this last semester--all things said and done, and media hype aside, I went in (pre research) not really worrying about avian influenza--now, it's got me somewhat scared sh*tless

the 1918 'spanish flu' pandemic, (which killed between 20-120 million people worldwide--no exact death toll will ever probably be found), was probably of avian origin, not 'swine' origin as was originally thought

-EB-

ChiefsfaninPA
12-27-2005, 01:30 PM
eh, I'm no jimnasium (who's already worked in the public health field), but I'm majoring in epidemiology--and did a speech on avian influenza (bird flu) this last semester--all things said and done, and media hype aside, I went in (pre research) not really worrying about avian influenza--now, it's got me somewhat scared sh*tless

the 1918 'spanish flu' pandemic, (which killed between 20-120 million people worldwide--no exact death toll will ever probably be found), was probably of avian origin, not 'swine' origin as was originally thought

-EB-

If your scared sh*%less, and your name is ebola, I am downright terrified. I am thinking of becoming a recluse.

Ebolapox
12-27-2005, 01:32 PM
If your scared sh*%less, and your name is ebola, I am downright terrified. I am thinking of becoming a recluse.

heh--ever wondered why my name is 'ebola'?? it's my favorite virus--one I hope to one day find a vaccine or preventative measure for--

figured it'd be obvious that I'm going into the field I'm going into

-EB-

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 01:34 PM
heh--ever wondered why my name is 'ebola'?? it's my favorite virus--one I hope to one day find a vaccine or preventative measure for--

figured it'd be obvious that I'm going into the field I'm going into

-EB-
that fact that the Ebola virus is your favorite anything is rather unsettling.

:p

ChiefsfaninPA
12-27-2005, 01:35 PM
it's my favorite virus--one I hope to one day find a vaccine or preventative measure for--

-EB-

Good luck with that, but can you please take some time and work on this bird flu, then send me a vile. PLEAAAAASSSEEEEEEEE!

ptlyon
12-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Well do Endelt a favor and find one for the clap first

Ebolapox
12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Good luck with that, but can you please take some time and work on this bird flu, then send me a vile. PLEAAAAASSSEEEEEEEE!

heh heh--there's a lot of more qualified and experienced research scientists already working on that--I'm afraid someone who's only halfway through 'four year' college isn't allowed in a level 2 or 3 lab :sulk:

-EB-

beavis
12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
What kind of crap are the media throwing out?
I've heard them say as many as 120 million people could die this winter because of a virus that has yet to mutate into a form that is easily pass between humans.

I finally saw an interview a couple of weeks ago with a guy whose name I can't remember right now, seems he was from the WHO, but I'm not sure. It was the first time I'd actually seen someone press the issue and ask the probability of this actually occuring. He was forced into admitting it was extremely unlikely that anymore people would die from the flu this year than normally do.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-27-2005, 01:42 PM
heh heh--there's a lot of more qualified and experienced research scientists already working on that--I'm afraid someone who's only halfway through 'four year' college isn't allowed in a level 2 or 3 lab :sulk:

-EB-

I'll take your word on this. Just try for me. Someday I can tell my kids that the guy who found a cure for the ebola virus and the bird flu used to post on chiefsplanet, but now he is big timing.

Hog Farmer
12-27-2005, 02:10 PM

the 1918 'spanish flu' pandemic, (which killed between 20-120 million people worldwide--no exact death toll will ever probably be found), was probably of avian origin, not SWINE origin as was originally thought

-EB-

THAT'S A RELIEF!!!!

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Hahaha, flippin sweet.

Saulbadguy
12-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Killer bees, west nile virus, bird flu..what's next?

Rain Man
12-27-2005, 02:13 PM
THAT'S A RELIEF!!!!

I hate to destroy your relief, but I was reading that a lot of these killer flus may originate in other animals, but they transmit to humans via pigs. Apparently, mutating from some other virus to a pig virus is a huge step toward mutating to a human virus, because the genetic steppingstone from pigs to humans is quite small.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2005, 02:40 PM
the genetic steppingstone from pigs to humans is quite small.

men are such pigs

Donger
12-27-2005, 08:52 PM
I've heard them say as many as 120 million people could die this winter because of a virus that has yet to mutate into a form that is easily pass between humans.

I finally saw an interview a couple of weeks ago with a guy whose name I can't remember right now, seems he was from the WHO, but I'm not sure. It was the first time I'd actually seen someone press the issue and ask the probability of this actually occuring. He was forced into admitting it was extremely unlikely that anymore people would die from the flu this year than normally do.

The last I heard, WHO considers that the mutation to allow human-to-human transmission is a virtual certainty. They're expecting this to happen. Maybe not this year, but soon.

And, it already has happened before; both the 1918 and 1968 (?) pandemics were of the avian variety.

Donger
12-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Cats and dogs, living together, MASS HYSTERIA!!

ENDelt260
12-27-2005, 10:17 PM
My favorite sugary breakfast cereal is Penicillin O's.

ENDelt260
12-27-2005, 10:20 PM
West Nile is my favorite. It's a perennial news story. "5 people died from West Nile this year." Christ, more died in car accidents yesterday.

Frazod
12-27-2005, 10:22 PM
West Nile is my favorite. It's a perennial news story. "5 people died from West Nile this year." Christ, more died in car accidents yesterday.

Don't forget secondhand smoke. It's allegedly killed eight whole people in Illinois since 2000. :eek:

Baconeater
12-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Don't forget secondhand smoke. It's allegedly killed eight whole people in Illinois since 2000. :eek:

Holy crap, I just got back from Illinois! Thank god I made it out alive!

Logical
12-28-2005, 12:23 AM
I died from it, but luckily it was the Phoenix strain, which means I automatically become re-born.Hail Je-sus

Simplex3
12-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Holy crap, I just got back from Illinois! Thank god I made it out alive!
ROFL

Though you're more likely to die from boredom listening to people talk about how cool Chicago is...

Rausch
12-28-2005, 02:03 AM

Of all people Pen and Teller completely busted the Gubment on their stats.

100% bull$#it.

People exposed to 2nd hand smoke for 10 years or more are 5x as likely to have cancer.

Guess what? They're also 4x more likely to smoke themselves.

Not hard to figure out the ****ing correlation there...