PDA

View Full Version : Cingular

Pitt Gorilla
12-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Given the diversity of experience and the wealth of expertise offered by the folks at the planet, I submit a request for advice in selecting a new cell phone service. My wife and I are seriously considering Cingular service for our new phone. If you've had any experiences, good or bad, with Cingular, I would appreciate your commentary. Thank you for your time.

ENDelt260
12-27-2005, 05:00 PM
I think they had a really cool superbowl commercial once.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:01 PM
My girlfriend, brother, sister and sis in law have cingular in Oklahoma. They say Cingular is real good. They used to get no service in Kansas but now they get real good service here. They also said they have had no problems with Cingular.

chefsos
12-27-2005, 05:01 PM
I've had Cingular for 2 years. Service-wise, they don't seem greatly better or worse than the others. I do like the rollover minutes, though.

Hoover
12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
I've been with 4 cell phone companies.

I'm with US Cellular, not because rates or anything else, but because it works in my area the best.

I'd ask for a test drive, thats what I did.

ENDelt260
12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
I've had Cingular for 2 years. Service-wise, they don't seem greatly better or worse than the others. I do like the rollover minutes, though.
If t-mobile offered rollover minutes I'd have eleventy billion minutes by now. December is almost over and I still have 565 of my 600 anytime minutes remaining.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:03 PM
My girlfriend, brother, sister and sis in law have cingular in Oklahoma. They say Cingular is real good. They used to get no service in Kansas but now they get real good service here. They also said they have had no problems with Cingular.

Oh and weve been to KC three times this year and get great reception off the towers there.

SLAG
12-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Given the diversity of experience and the wealth of expertise offered by the folks at the planet, I submit a request for advice in selecting a new cell phone service. My wife and I are seriously considering Cingular service for our new phone. If you've had any experiences, good or bad, with Cingular, I would appreciate your commentary. Thank you for your time.

Just swiched From Cingular to nextel.

Nextel is a little more pricy but not by much the walkie talkie kicks ass.

Cingular seemed great at first but overages suck and they are dicks about contracts and new phones and shit as well. Their customer service is 50/50 Sometimes they are helpful and nice and others rude a-holes.

I have also used verizion and sprint........

Dont remember them too much execpt with verizon my bills were always outragous.

sprint i didnt like the "PCS" 1900mhz CDMA Spotty Coverage.

Nextel so far has good quality on their phones and on the Direct connect service. I think its the greatest thing. my wife and i love it.

Anyway just my ranting.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT GET ALLTEL!

Coach
12-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Had Verzion, and it suck balls.

Am using Alltel, and it's very good for the most part.

SLAG
12-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Had Verzion, and it suck balls.

Am using Alltel, and it's very good for the most part.

Isnt alltel for people in bumFu*k

chefsos
12-27-2005, 05:08 PM
If t-mobile offered rollover minutes I'd have eleventy billion minutes by now. December is almost over and I still have 565 of my 600 anytime minutes remaining.

My rollover balance is currently 2,928. And that's with three phones. I won't live long enough to talk on the phone that much.

Coach
12-27-2005, 05:11 PM

Heh, and I'm in bumFu*k Kansas. :p

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:12 PM

Considering Im an hour and a half from a Mall, Id say yes. Alltell sucks horribly here. I got charged 26 bucks extra for going over my text messages. Even though when I ordered them it was 750 outgoing text messages for 10 bucks. Now out of nowhere its 750 outgoing/incoming TM's. So its really like sending 375.

ENDelt260
12-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Considering Im an hour and a half from a Mall, Id say yes. Alltell sucks horribly here. I got charged 26 bucks extra for going over my text messages. Even though when I ordered them it was 750 outgoing text messages for 10 bucks. Now out of nowhere its 750 outgoing/incoming TM's. So its really like sending 375.
That's a lot of goddamned text messaging.

T-mobile charges $10 for unlimited. I don't pay it, though. If you don't pay for unlimited text messaging they're only a nickel a piece. My text messaging charges each month is usually a buck or two.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:15 PM
That's a lot of goddamned text messaging.

T-mobile charges $10 for unlimited. I don't pay it, though. If you don't pay for unlimited text messaging they're only a nickel a piece. My text messaging charges each month is usually a buck or two.

Hey, when you dont want to talk to people, you text. Its much easier and Im a college student so thats about all I do.

SLAG
12-27-2005, 05:16 PM
No other nextel lovers in here? :shrug:

Coach
12-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey, when you dont want to talk to people, you text. Its much easier and Im a college student so thats about all I do.

Yeah, that's what my brother has, that T-Moble sidekick I. I'm sure Endelt have seen my brother playing with that thing. It's like a text messaging cell phone type, not to mention that AIM is installed on there, and he can also surf the net there.

Personally, I like those better than cellphones, and I do plan on getting me one whenever the time is right and also that whenever I do move to Kansas City.

chefsos
12-27-2005, 05:20 PM
I looked at 'em before I went with Cingular, and I really liked the walkie-talkie feature. But as you said, they're kind of expensive, and there was no price break for multiple phones at the time.

Dunit35
12-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, that's what my brother has, that T-Moble sidekick I. I'm sure Endelt have seen my brother playing with that thing. It's like a text messaging cell phone type, not to mention that AIM is installed on there, and he can also surf the net there.

Personally, I like those better than cellphones, and I do plan on getting me one whenever the time is right and also that whenever I do move to Kansas City.

My contract ends in Feb. and I plan on getting the Razr or Sidekick. The razr looks sweetness.

Coach
12-27-2005, 05:23 PM
My contract ends in Feb. and I plan on getting the Razr or Sidekick. The razr looks sweetness.

Cool. Nothing wrong with the Razr. I guess I just perfer the sidekick with it's cool features.

http://www.t-mobile.com/images/products/229040/250x270.jpg

Cochise
12-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I just switched to Cingular from Sprint. No particular reason, I just used to work for Sprint and preferred to take my business elsewhere.

I shopped around for a while online and in stores, and found one company to be as good as another. None was essentially cheaper than the others, none had coverage I needed to worry about since I'm in a major metro area. Since it's a cost cutting business I just figure all of their customer service is going to be bad.

I went with Cingular because they gave me the coolest phone and I got a Bluetooth for free in the deal. Seems like a good service so far. I never had any problems with Sprint and so far I can't tell the difference.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-27-2005, 05:50 PM
I have Cingular. They've always been great. I've never had any problems with them and have upgraded twice since joining. I get service pretty much everywhere, too. I recommend them.

ChiefsFire
12-27-2005, 06:09 PM
maybe if you had some friends to talk to you wouldnt have so many leftover minutes...

Coach
12-27-2005, 06:11 PM
maybe if you had some friends to talk to you wouldnt have so many leftover minutes...

ROFL

rageeumr
12-27-2005, 06:13 PM

I have Nextel because of work, and it's free, so I guess I love it :D As far as the service goes, I suppose it's good enough. I often have problems with spotty service in areas where it should be perfect (like in the middle of the city). And I have experienced that through 3 phones now, so I don't think it's the phone. Direct connect is nice for work, but exactly 0 of my friends have it, which makes it pretty worthless for personal use. The phones always seem to be a generation behind. I currently have the Blackberry 7510, which is obviously great for business use, but very lacking when it comes to ringtones, etc... stupid stuff that people like to play with. Also, I have never had a nextel phone that supports SMS!! I think it is the network. I can send and receive email, but I can't send a GD text message. And when I receive a text, it doesn't list who it's from (again, this has happened on multiple phones). So SMS messaging is pretty useless.

So I would recommend for business, probably not for personal use.

Alton deFlat
12-27-2005, 06:16 PM
The rollover minutes with Cingular are great. I've been with them for about a year and a half, and haven't had any problems yet. I didn't have the greatest service in my office or my family room, when I first got it, but they have put a new tower a few miles from me down here in SE Kansas, so it's much better now. You should be able to get pretty good service when you're visiting family back this way.

Logical
12-27-2005, 06:30 PM
We have had Cingular for several years and I have had nothing except positive experiences with them. Like said in a previous post the rollover minutes work out great.

chefsos
12-27-2005, 06:35 PM
The rollover minutes with Cingular are great. I've been with them for about a year and a half, and haven't had any problems yet. I didn't have the greatest service in my office or my family room, when I first got it, but they have put a new tower a few miles from me down here in SE Kansas, so it's much better now. You should be able to get pretty good service when you're visiting family back this way.
Similar reception story here. I can think of three different places where I couldn't make or receive calls last year, and I can now. They're making the effort, I give credit for that.

ENDelt260
12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I think it's just that I'm a man so my phone conversations consist mostly of....

"Hey."
"Hey."
"Wanna get drunk?"
"Yeah."
"See you at the bar in a few."
"Late."
*click*

Perhaps you're more into chatting about shoes for hours on end.

dtebbe
12-27-2005, 06:55 PM

LOL, remember that Nextel commercial where evernone in a meeting spoke really fast and to the point and the meeting was done in like 30 seconds?

That's no shit, becuase you have to talk that fast so that it does no drop out on you mid-sentance.

Nextel = dreaded "beerrrttt" (no service beep) even with full signal

Plus, it's really hard to ignore another determined nextel caller without just turning off your phone. Once someone figures out how to send you an alert, it's all over.

DT

Jenny Gump
12-27-2005, 07:07 PM
I hate cingular. Customer service sucks. That being said, the rates, coverage area, and other crap was fine.

Maybe the problem is that I just basically hate people.

chefsos
12-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I hate cingular. Customer service sucks. That being said, the rates, coverage area, and other crap was fine.

Maybe the problem is that I just basically hate people.

You actually spoke to a human at customer service?

Calcountry
12-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Cingular dropped way too many calls for my likeing. Verizon never does, and always make a connection.

I live in the valley, so the coverage with Cingular was spotty at best. They promised more towers about 2 years before I switched and I finally got tired of waiting. No issues at all with Verizon.

Great plan too to keep the bills under control.

cookster50
12-27-2005, 07:54 PM
I've had Cingular for about 5 or 6 years now, no problems, good reception anywhere I've been.

KCinNY
12-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Rollover is what sets Cingular apart from the rest. No problems getting a signal even in remote areas.

Pitt Gorilla
12-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the input.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Rollover is what sets Cingular apart from the rest. No problems getting a signal even in remote areas.

The rollover minutes are outstanding.

luv
12-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Love Cingular. Rollover minutes, calling other Cingular customers is free, no roaming or long distance. I use my cell phone as my home phone. Have never had a problem except for maybe once when a tower in my area was down.

Carlota69
12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
What I'm finding is that all of the companies suck! I have been with Cingular, T-Mobile and now Sprint. Reception hasn't been a problem with any of them, But customer service has been terrible. They know they have you by the balls and they don't care how they treat you. Right now Sprint is treating me horribly. I have three lines with them and I am threatening to leave and they don't care. They aren't being helpful with my situation at all.
I spent $400 on a phone that didn't last me a year. I also got the insurance, but the insurance wouldn't gaurantee me a new phone when I needed one and they wouldn't send me a phone for "3-5" business days, which turned into 2 weeks. Then they told me tough shit when I told them that i didn't get my phone in 3-5 busineess days. They wont even give me a $50 credit or anything for the inconvience.

They all suck!

ct
12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm on Cingular, and have been quite satisfied for the most part. I do not have any exp. w/ other providers to compare to, however.

I did just get back from Disney World, and all of our group is on a Cingular plan and we had some holes in coverage, which was surprising. We got all of our voice mails, but some of our calls would not actually go through, so we had to communicate thru VMs.

luv
12-28-2005, 02:01 PM
What I'm finding is that all of the companies suck! I have been with Cingular, T-Mobile and now Sprint. Reception hasn't been a problem with any of them, But customer service has been terrible. They know they have you by the balls and they don't care how they treat you. Right now Sprint is treating me horribly. I have three lines with them and I am threatening to leave and they don't care. They aren't being helpful with my situation at all.
I spent $400 on a phone that didn't last me a year. I also got the insurance, but the insurance wouldn't gaurantee me a new phone when I needed one and they wouldn't send me a phone for "3-5" business days, which turned into 2 weeks. Then they told me tough shit when I told them that i didn't get my phone in 3-5 busineess days. They wont even give me a $50 credit or anything for the inconvience.

They all suck!
I was with Alltel for a while. I had nothing but problems with them. I haven't had any customer service problems with Cingular.