PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: Motley has the ball, make an offer

tk13
12-28-2005, 01:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13496963.htm

Ball in Motley’s court – make an offer
JEFFREY FLANAGAN
Kansas City Star

One of the newest Royals, Doug Mientkiewicz, has to face an arbitration case with his former team, the Boston Red Sox, for ownership of the final ball of the 2004 World Series. So do you wonder just who has possession of the ball from the final out of the 1985 World Series?

That would be Darryl Motley, who caught the final out of the ’85 Series and still has the ball in a safe-deposit box in Orlando, Fla.

“It’s still there. I take it out from time to time,” Motley said by phone. “It’s changed colors over the years, but it’s still in good shape.”

Told of the legal battle Mientkiewicz is facing, Motley seemed totally surprised.

“He caught it, didn’t he?” Motley said. “Then it’s his.”

Here’s the interesting part about the ’85 ball: As dear as the possession has been to Motley for 20 years, he thinks that now could be the time to part with it.

“If someone wants to buy it, I’ll take offers,” Motley said. “I’m serious. If it would mean that much to someone, I’d rather they have it.”

Motley said that the Royals at first had asked him for the ball after the game.

“They asked, but I wasn’t giving it up,” he said. “But that was about it. They didn’t really say anything after that.”

What Motley remembers most about the final inning of the ’85 Series is that his other teammates agreed that whoever caught the final out would get $100 from every other teammate.

“We made that agreement as we were heading out of the dugout onto the field,” Motley said, laughing. “But after I caught it, I don’t remember anyone giving me the money.

“And I don’t remember anyone giving me the money when I came back for the 20-year reunion.”

You all know that the Chiefs extended their December winning streak at Arrowhead Stadium to 18 straight games with the win over the Chargers.
How about the last time the Chiefs won a game in January, not just at home, but anywhere?

That would be Jan. 16, 1994 (the 1993 season), when the Chiefs won at Houston, 28-20.

The week before the Chiefs won at home over Pittsburgh in the wild-card playoff game.

Overall, at home and on the road, the Chiefs have lost seven straight games in the month of January since beating Houston.

Marty Schottenheimer is still shaking his head over the Chargers’ loss at Arrowhead.

“Obviously we’re all disappointed,” he told reporters. “I don’t know that we’ve played as poorly as we did the other day in a game in the last couple of years.”

Chiefs center Casey Wiegmann was selected for USA Today’s “All-Joe” team.

Members of the team, the newspaper said, are “overachievers, the overlooked, the ‘effort’ guys who don’t get invited to the Pro Bowl but without whom their teams might founder.”

The newspaper says the All-Joe team takes its name from former Chiefs defensive tackle Joe Phillips, who allowed the Chiefs to switch to a 3-4 defense in the early 1990s by assuming the nose-tackle position. Phillips’ thankless job was to tie up as many blockers as he could so the linebackers could be free to make plays.

A quick heads-up for all you Oklahoma Sooners fans: the OU Club of Greater KC is host to a watch party on Thursday for the Holiday Bowl at Wallaby’s, 9562 Lackman Road.

Rausch
12-28-2005, 01:39 AM
How about the last time the Chiefs won a game in January, not just at home, but anywhere?

That would be Jan. 16, 1994 (the 1993 season), when the Chiefs won at Houston, 28-20.

Yeah, but that was during the 93 season.

And that was so ****ing long ago the ONLY player still on our team from our last playoff win is Shields.

tk13
12-28-2005, 01:43 AM
Yeah, but that was during the 93 season.

And that was so ****ing long ago the ONLY player still on our team from our last playoff win is Shields.
To even have a player from that team is impressive. I'd like to know how many teams still have a player on their roster from 1993.

Rausch
12-28-2005, 01:49 AM
To even have a player from that team is impressive. I'd like to know how many teams still have a player on their roster from 1993.

Steelers and Packers...

Demonpenz
12-28-2005, 01:55 AM
is there anyone on techmo super bowl that still plays?

Demonpenz
12-28-2005, 01:56 AM
RBI Baseball is down to one active Major League Baseball player: pitcher Roger Clemens. Catcher Benito Santiago and pitcher John Franco played earlier this year, but have since been cut from their rosters.

tk13
12-28-2005, 01:57 AM
Sean Landeta is the first guy that pops to mind.

Rausch
12-28-2005, 01:59 AM

Willie Williams, Steelers.

Demonpenz
12-28-2005, 02:03 AM
holy crap bo diaz got crushed by a satillite dish? I bet his baseball card went up

Ultra Peanut
12-28-2005, 02:55 AM
RBI Baseball is down to one active Major League Baseball player: pitcher Roger Clemens. Catcher Benito Santiago and pitcher John Franco played earlier this year, but have since been cut from their rosters.Awesome.

DaWolf
12-28-2005, 03:42 AM
I just read this, found it funny but not funny enough to start a thread about it, so i'll just toss it in here:

It's not as if they're ready to nip at the heels of the world champion Chicago White Sox, but Kansas City can't help but be much improved following the signings of free agents Mark Grudzielanek, Doug Mientkiewicz and pitcher Seth Etherton. The Royals tied with Tampa Bay for worst fielding percentage in the AL in 2005, and adding Mientkiewicz, a former Gold Glover, and Grudzielanek immediately tightens the Royals infield defense.

Toughest job in baseball: Kansas City's equipment manager, who now must make sure the names "Mientkiewicz" and "Grudzielanek" are spelled correctly on the uniform backs.

Toughest job in journalism: when writing a piece on a team you know absolutely nothing about other than the fact that they suck, at least TRY to pretend you care by spelling the easist name of the bunch correctly. Seth Etherton? How about Scott Elarton?

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9110897/3

Ultra Peanut
12-28-2005, 04:50 AM
Maybe it's a Heathcliff Slocumb/Chuck McElroy (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=115084) thing?