PDA

View Full Version : Raise a Doughnut in Honor...

chefsos
12-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Dunkin' Donuts ad actor Michael Vale dies

NEW YORK (AP) Michael Vale, the actor best known for his portrayal of a sleepy-eyed Dunkin' Donuts baker who said "Time to make the donuts," has died, his family said on Tuesday. He was 83 years old.

Vale's long-running character, "Fred the Baker," became a cultural icon. The ad campaign lasted 15 years, until Vale retired in 1997.

Vale died Saturday in New York City of complications from diabetes, according to son-in law Rick Reil.

Canton, Mass.-based Dunkin' Donuts said in a statement that the corporation was "saddened." It said Vale "became a beloved American icon that permeated our culture and touched millions with his sense of humor and humble nature."

Brooklyn-born Vale studied acting at The Dramatic Workshop in New York City with classmates Tony Curtis, Ben Gazzara and Rod Stieger.

A veteran of the Broadway stage, film and television, Vale appeared in more than 1,300 TV commercials.

Vale is survived by his wife Nancy, son Tracy, daughter Ivy, and granddaughter Violet.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2005/12/27/vale.jpg?SSImageQuality=Full

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2005-12-27-vale-obit_x.htm

Rausch
12-28-2005, 01:29 AM
That place probably saved me 12 or 13 DWI's...

Dartgod
12-28-2005, 07:32 AM
That place probably saved me 12 or 13 DWI's...
Isn't it kind of dangerous to be hanging out at a donut shop when intoxicated?

Fire Me Boy!
12-28-2005, 07:43 AM
I know this will probably be taken in bad taste, but anyone find it telling that a cultural icon for donuts died of diabetes complications?

Extra Point
12-28-2005, 07:55 AM
I raise a coffee cup toast to Mr. Vale, wishing I had a Dunkin' Donut to enjoy with the toast. A Christmas cookie will just have to do.......

JBucc
12-28-2005, 07:57 AM
I don't have any donuts either, but I'll eat my buscuit and gravy in his honor.

Dartgod
12-28-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't have any donuts either, but I'll eat my buscuit and grave in his honor.
Typo or not? :hmmm:

HarryParatestes
12-28-2005, 08:01 AM
" It's time to make the doughuts..."

Remember how he'd groan that while climbing out of bed at

0-Dark 30 ? I still use that line to this day.

kepp
12-28-2005, 09:20 AM
Someone brought in Krispy Kreme doughnuts this morning to the office. Would it be blasphemous to toast him with a non-Dunkin-Donuts pastry?

RP_McMurphy
12-28-2005, 09:29 AM
I lived in New England for five years from the late eighties to mid nineties and got to see a Dunkin Donuts on almost every corner. I do miss their Coffee. I used to drive Pizza as a second job and part of my ritual of winding down after a busy weekend night was to get a large coffee and watch Headbangers Ball. Never much of a fan of their donuts but the Coffee was a lifeline for me.