PDA

View Full Version : Put my vote down for Jeff Fisher

MahiMike
12-28-2005, 07:22 AM
This guy is the best head coach in the NFL. He knows how to get his guys up, how to game plan, adjust during the game. And best of all he knows how to get into the minds of the other team. Jaguars fans hate him because he refers to Alltel stadium as his 9th home game. Classic.

I say let DV coach 1 more year and wait on this guy.

C-Mac
12-28-2005, 07:24 AM
I could live with that.

JBucc
12-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Do we have to keep DV one more year?

Mecca
Of course he likely won't be let go by the Titans. So that kinda ruins your plan.

Hoover
thanks..

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 07:29 AM
He's not my first choice, but I'd take him over Herm Edwards.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 07:32 AM
The best HC in the NFL?

Give me a fuggin break. There's a coach up in New England that's working on best coach EVER, let alone best in the NFL.

MOhillbilly
12-28-2005, 07:33 AM
At this point-

Jeff Fisher - same D as GW same kind of hardass.
Herm - yadda yadda
Jerry Gray - yeah his D is down this year, but he had great Ds his 1st two years. Same D and hard ass as Fisher and GW.... all came through the same system.

but im convinced its going to be Herm, hope thats not the case though.

MOhillbilly
12-28-2005, 07:34 AM
The best HC in the NFL?

Give me a fuggin break. There's a coach up in New England that's working on best coach EVER, let alone best in the NFL.

Dont forget that guy in Dallas.

hes not to bad.....

Hoover
12-28-2005, 07:36 AM
I think Herm is a likeable guy and all, but what the hell has he done? His assistants have been Jimmy Raye & Paul Hackett!!! Seems like it would be a backwards step to me.

Saggysack
12-28-2005, 07:39 AM
This guy is the best head coach in the NFL. He knows how to get his guys up, how to game plan, adjust during the game. And best of all he knows how to get into the minds of the other team. Jaguars fans hate him because he refers to Alltel stadium as his 9th home game. Classic.

You would figure that the best coach in the NFL would have more than 4 winning seasons out of 12.

Jeff Fisher is overrated. He has ridden that SB appearance all the way to the bank. Jeff Fisher IMO is about as good as Bobby Ross.

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 07:40 AM
I think Herm is a likeable guy and all, but what the hell has he done? His assistants have been Jimmy Raye & Paul Hackett!!! Seems like it would be a backwards step to me.

Uh...this thread is about Fisher.

BigRedChief
12-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Dont forget that guy in Dallas.

hes not to bad.....

and you know if he was to leave because he thinks his players won't get him to the Super Bowl but he wants to continue to coach maybe just maybe he might want to take on our veterans.

Parcells has never met a veteran team he didn't like. We do have some talent on the team. Maybe Shields, Roaf etc would stay on if Parcells would come on board? This pussy tackling wouldn't go on here if he was the coach.

Chan93lx50
12-28-2005, 07:42 AM
He knows how to get his guys up

:eek:

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 07:43 AM
and you know if he was to leave because he thinks his players won't get him to the Super Bowl but he wants to continue to coach maybe just maybe he might want to take on our veterans.

Parcells has never met a veteran team he didn't like. We do have some talent on the team. Maybe Shields, Roaf etc would stay on if Parcells would come on board? This pussy tackling wouldn't go on here if he was the coach.

I am starting to believe the magic behind Parcells was Bellichick.

He hasn't done squat without him.

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 07:45 AM
I am starting to believe the magic behind Parcells was Bellichick.

He hasn't done squat without him.

Yeah he only got a QUINCY CARTER led team into the playoffs.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 07:46 AM

Just like Brian Billick winning the SB with Trent Dilfer or Jon Gruden winning the SB with Brad Johnson so what is your point exactly?

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Just like Brian Billick winning the SB with Trent Dilfer or Jon Gruden winning the SB with Brad Johnson so what is your point exactly?

My point is...that's the sign of a good coach. Those other guys are good coaches too.

And to put Quincy Carter in the class of the other two guys you mentioned is criminal.

BigRedChief
12-28-2005, 07:48 AM

and the Ravens coach won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at QB. We had an all world defense just as good as the Ravens were but couldn't get to a Super Bowl with it. Was it Marty?

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 07:51 AM
My point is...that's the sign of a good coach. Those other guys are good coaches too.

And to put Quincy Carter in the class of the other two guys you mentioned is criminal.

I didn't say Parcells wasn't a good coach I just said I am starting to believe that alot of Parcells success was when Bellichick was by his side.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 07:52 AM
You would figure that the best coach in the NFL would have more than 4 winning seasons out of 12.

Jeff Fisher is overrated. He has ridden that SB appearance all the way to the bank. Jeff Fisher IMO is about as good as Bobby Ross.

:clap:

EXCELLENT POST.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Was it Marty?

You damn bet it was.

Cochise
12-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Who knew, the best coach in the NFL only has a marginally winning record, both regular and postseason, has never won a super bowl, and has double digit losses the last 2 seasons.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Belichick had always labored in the shadow of Parcells. This is his career highlight reel: Defensive coordinator for Parcells with the Giants, who won two Super Bowls; head coach of the Cleveland Browns, where he had only one winning season out of five; back to work for Parcells as defensive guru with the Patriots, where he reached the Super Bowl but lost to the Packers; then to the Jets in the same capacity.

If you look at his tenure in Dallas he went to the playoffs his first in 2003 but was 6-10 last year and they probably won't make the playoffs this year.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Jeff Fisher is a GOOD coach. I don't know why anybody would argue that. He's taken a team to the Super Bowl.

On Bellichek-he's a damn good coach as well, but it sure doesn't hurt that he has Tom Brady leading his team. Bellichek didn't do shit before Brady.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Who knew, the best coach in the NFL only has a marginally winning record, both regular and postseason, has never won a super bowl, and has double digit losses the last 2 seasons.

I think Fisher is a good coach and alot of their problems can't be traced to Fisher. They have been in salary cap hell for the last 2 years.

My Top 5 coaches in the NFL are:

1. Belichick
2. Shanahan
3. Dungy
4. Holmgren
5. Cowher

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Jeff Fisher...

OVER-RATED!

OVER-RATED!

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Jeff Fisher...

OVER-RATED!

OVER-RATED!Who isn't?Bellichek? LOL.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:05 AM
On Bellichek-he's a damn good coach as well, but it sure doesn't hurt that he has Tom Brady leading his team. Bellichek didn't do shit before Brady.

That is like saying Bill Walsh didn't do shit before Joe Montana.

Belichick drafted Brady it is not like he inherited him like Dungy did Peyton Manning.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:06 AM
That is like saying Bill Walsh didn't do shit before Joe Montana.

Belichick drafted Brady it is not like he inherited him like Dungy did Peyton Manning.Did Bill Walsh do anything before Montana or after him?

I rest my case.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Jeff Fisher is a GOOD coach. I don't know why anybody would argue that. He's taken a team to the Super Bowl.

Who drafted Brady?

:hmmm:

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Who drafted Brady?

:hmmm:Pioli?

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Who drafted Brady?

:hmmm:Does that make Vermeil a great coach, too, since he went after Priest Holmes and turned him into a Superstar?

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Did Bill Walsh do anything before Montana or after him?

I rest my case.

He retired in 1988.

Please stop posting now, you're being dumb.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:09 AM

I rest my case.

I don't understand your point.

Walsh was responsible for drafting Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, and Jerry Rice.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Does that make Vermeil a great coach, too, since he went after Priest Holmes and turned him into a Superstar?

He didn't draft him.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:11 AM
Jeff Fisher has never won anything with Steve McNair.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Jeff Fisher has never won anything with Steve McNair.

Yep.

When Fisher wins 3 SB's come back so we can have a rational discussion but to compare Fisher to Walsh and Belichick is just stupid.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Jeff Fisher has never won anything with Steve McNair.So you think Steve McNair is the best QB in the NFL? LOL. I seem to recall Fisher winning an AFC Championship game and his team playing in the Super Bowl.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
So you think Steve McNair is the best QB in the NFL? LOL. I seem to recall Fisher winning an AFC Championship game and his team playing in the Super Bowl.

The last time I checked DV beat Jeff Fisher in the SB with one yr wonder Kurt Warner.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
He didn't draft him.I know that. Believe it or not, I actually follow the Chiefs and know we picked him up as a FA from the Ravens. Duh. The point is, Priest was AVERAGE at best, UNTIL he became a Chief. So if we(you all) are giving accolades for drafting players, it only seems fair to give accolades for taking an average player and turning him into a superstar. No?

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:18 AM
So you think Steve McNair is the best QB in the NFL? LOL. I seem to recall Fisher winning an AFC Championship game and his team playing in the Super Bowl.

Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL. It was so nice of him to win those 3 championships for Bill Belichick.

Seriously, you're a moron.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I know that. Believe it or not, I actually follow the Chiefs and know we picked him up as a FA from the Ravens. Duh. The point is, Priest was AVERAGE at best, UNTIL he became a Chief. So if we(you all) are giving accolades for drafting players, it only seems fair to give accolades for taking an average player and turning him into a superstar. No?

I have no problem with that but to suggest Jeff Fisher is on par with Bill Walsh and Belichick is not logical.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:21 AM
The last time I checked DV beat Jeff Fisher in the SB with one yr wonder Kurt Warner. I'm just saying he's a GOOD coach. Some would want others to think Fisher doesn't know shit and that's laughable and why I'm arguing the point. The sun doesn't rise and set with Bellichek.

C-Mac
I think Fisher is a good coach and alot of their problems can't be traced to Fisher. They have been in salary cap hell for the last 2 years.

My Top 5 coaches in the NFL are:

1. Belichick
2. Shanahan
3. Dungy
4. Holmgren
5. Cowher

He's a cool coach, but Holmgren over Parcells and Gruden?

Hoover
I know that. Believe it or not, I actually follow the Chiefs and know we picked him up as a FA from the Ravens. Duh. The point is, Priest was AVERAGE at best, UNTIL he became a Chief. So if we(you all) are giving accolades for drafting players, it only seems fair to give accolades for taking an average player and turning him into a superstar. No?
They never gave Priest a chance in Baltimour. He had a 1000 yard season and then drafted Lewis.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Steve McNair NFL MVP awards - 1

Tom Brady - 0

Looks to me like Fisher is the benefactor of having a great QB and rode his coattails all the way to the Super Bowl.

BigChiefFan
Peyton Manning is the best QB in the NFL. It was so nice of him to win those 3 championships for Bill Belichick.

Seriously, you're a moron.
Resorting to calling names, now? How petty.

MOhillbilly
htis-jeff fisher is not a bad coach.

i agree that he hasnt done much lately but the Titans are in "cap hell" and its not going to get any better.

Never forget that the NFL is set up for good teams to get bad and bad team to get good.
you have runs fall off and come back. I have to believe that some of what is happening in TN has to do w/ the GM.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm just saying he's a GOOD coach. Some would want others to think Fisher doesn't know shit and that's laughable and why I'm arguing the point. The sun doesn't rise and set with Bellichek.

Who said Fisher "doesn't know shit"?

Nobody.

He's overrated. That's what was said. Not that he doesn't know shit.

No, the sun doesn't rise and set with Belichick. The subject turned to Belichick when somebody made the moronic statement that Jeff Fisher was the best coach in football.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:24 AM

Tom Brady - 0

Looks to me like Fisher is the benefactor of having a great QB and rode his coattails all the way to the Super Bowl.

How can that be true of one coach in your eyes(Fisher) and not carry the same weight with another coach in Bellichek? It would stand to reason, that io it holds true for McNair, than couldn't the SAME be said for Brady? Hmmm.

Looks like Htis uses the double-standard.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Resorting to calling names, now? How petty.

Petty? Nope.

Honest.

Look at what you said about Bill Walsh. It's purely idiotic.

You're either not thinking clearly, or you're dumb.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:26 AM
I'm just saying he's a GOOD coach. Some would want others to think Fisher doesn't know shit and that's laughable and why I'm arguing the point. The sun doesn't rise and set with Bellichek.

I am not saying Fisher is a bad coach I actually like him and his style of coaching and I also said earlier in this thread that alot of the blame can't be laid at Fisher's feet because they have been in cap hell for the last 2 seasons.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:26 AM
How can that be true of one coach in your eyes(Fisher) and not carry the same weight with another coach in Bellichek? It would stand to reason, that io it holds true for McNair, than couldn't the SAME be said for Brady? Hmmm.

Looks like Htis uses the double-standard.

ROFL

It's called SARCASM.

I used it to illustrate YOUR double-standard.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:28 AM

Tom Brady - 0

The most important MVP award is the SB and Brady has 2. :D

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Petty? Nope.

Honest.

Look at what you said about Bill Walsh. It's purely idiotic.

You're either not thinking clearly, or you're dumb.

Or Showing you, that Walsh KNEW when to get out. He GM'd for a while longer and look how the 49ers have turned out. Having one of the BEST QBs in the league, helps tremendously, ala Tom Brady. Maybe you should OPEN your eyes and see, the side of the argument before proclaiming it idiotic.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:29 AM
htis-jeff fisher is not a bad coach.

i agree that he hasnt done much lately but the Titans are in "cap hell" and its not going to get any better.

Never forget that the NFL is set up for good teams to get bad and bad team to get good.
you have runs fall off and come back. I have to believe that some of what is happening in TN has to do w/ the GM.

I agree the NFL is setup for a cycle of rise and fall.

Fisher hasn't done that. He's hovered around .500 his entire career, trying to make "one more run". And now they've backloaded so much that their cap is screwed.

We tried that with Marty. I'd rather not go through it again.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:30 AM
The most important MVP award is the SB and Brady has 2. :D

And he won them all by himself, too.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:31 AM
ROFL

It's called SARCASM.

I used it to illustrate YOUR double-standard.

You always resort to that, when cornered, don't you? I showed you are the one having a double-standard. It's proven by you saying Fisher rode McNair's coatails all the way to the SB, but the same doesn't apply to Bellichek and Tom Brady, in your comments. That by definition is a DOUBLE-STANDARD.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:32 AM
Or Showing you, that Walsh KNEW when to get out. He GM'd for a while longer and look how the 49ers have turned out. Having one of the BEST QBs in the league, helps tremendously, ala Tom Brady. Maybe you should OPEN your eyes and see, the side of the argument before proclaiming it idiotic.

I see the other side of the argument. And it's still dumb.

Bill Walsh is a top 5 coach of ALL TIME.

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 08:33 AM

I think DV is gone. But I'm a Fisher fan. If and when he's available, he'd be one of the best choices we could make.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:35 AM
You always resort to that, when cornered, don't you? I showed you are the one having a double-standard. It's proven by you saying Fisher rode McNair's coatails all the way to the SB, but the same doesn't apply to Bellichek and Tom Brady, in your comments. That by definition is a DOUBLE-STANDARD.

It's really unfortunate that I'm going to have to explain this to you like this, because you obviously just don't get it.

I KNOW that what I said is a double-standard. I did it ON PURPOSE to make a point.

sar·casm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)
n.
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

YOU were the one that lauded Fisher as a Super Bowl coach, a winner.

YOU proceeded to say that Bill Belichick hadn't won anything without Tom Brady.

THAT is the double-standard.

MOhillbilly
12-28-2005, 08:37 AM
I agree the NFL is setup for a cycle of rise and fall.

Fisher hasn't done that. He's hovered around .500 his entire career, trying to make "one more run". And now they've backloaded so much that their cap is screwed.

We tried that with Marty. I'd rather not go through it again.

and id add we are doing it w/ DV(if Dante hadnt had all those runbacks in 03' KC could have easly gone 9-7)

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:38 AM
If you want to make a case for Jeff Fisher here is how to do it.

Jeff Fisher is entering his 11th season as head coach of the Tennessee Titans and his sixth as Executive Vice President. Fisher holds the franchise record for wins by a head coach with 98 victories and has amassed more regular season wins than any AFC head coach over the last six seasons with 61. He ranks third overall in the NFL behind Tony Dungy (64 wins, 30 in the NFC) and Andy Reid (63 wins).
His team’s success over the last six years is unmatched by any coach in franchise history. Fisher led the Titans to four playoff appearances (1999, 2000, 2002, 2003), two Division titles (2000 & 2002), two AFC Championship Games (1999, 2002) and one Super Bowl berth (XXXIV). He has presided over the most victorious (61 regular season wins and 5 postseason wins) and successful six-year period in the franchise’s 45-year history.
Last year, he became the fourth youngest coach (46) to win 90 regular season games since 1960. Only John Madden (41), Don Shula (41), and Bill Cowher (44) were faster to 90 wins.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:40 AM
It's really unfortunate that I'm going to have to explain this to you like this, because you obviously just don't get it.

I KNOW that what I said is a double-standard. I did it ON PURPOSE to make a point.

sar·casm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (särkzm)
n.
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

YOU were the one that lauded Fisher as a Super Bowl coach, a winner.

YOU proceeded to say that Bill Belichick hadn't won anything without Tom Brady.

THAT is the double-standard.

Yawn. Yet, another holier-than-thou approach at football 101. I forgot, your opinion is the only one that matters, right? Bellichek is a God. :rolleyes:

FringeNC
12-28-2005, 08:42 AM
How has Tennessee done on defense since Williams left?

ct
12-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Don't know about 'best head coach in the NFL', but he is a very good HC. If Tennessee cans him, which I doubt, I would love to see Fisher in KC, even if we lose Al Saunders because of it.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Yawn. Yet, another holier-than-thou approach at football 101. I forgot, your opinion is the only one that matters, right? Bellichek is a God. :rolleyes:

BigChiefFan I am sorry but I don't understand what your point is concerning Belichick and Walsh.

Please explain. Thanks

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 08:49 AM
BigChiefFan I am sorry but I don't understand what your point is concerning Belichick and Walsh.

Please explain. Thanks

The point is, you can be a good coach without having a stellar resume.

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 08:51 AM

Bellichek may not be God, but he's a damn good coach. So was Walsh. So is Fisher. The issue is, that Bellichek and Walsh have the rings to prove it; Fisher doesn't. That doesn't mean he isn't a good coach, but to place him on par with Walsh and Bellichek (at this point) is just plain wrong. Sure, Walsh had Montana and Bellichek has had Brady; however, who exactly were Montana and Brady BEFORE they won the Superbowls? Basically, they were Steve McNair.

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 08:51 AM
If you want to make a case for Jeff Fisher here is how to do it.

I'm betting those other head coaches did it in less than 12 years.

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 08:54 AM
who exactly were Montana and Brady BEFORE they won the Superbowls? Basically, they were Steve McNair.

Wrong.

Montana and Brady both hardly played at all before winning Super Bowls.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 08:55 AM

What?

Who said Belichick was a God? Certainly not me. You're the one that tried to diminish the accomplishments of BILL WALSH.

If you were to say that to someone actually in football, they'd laugh you out of the room.

This is typical.

You make a totally dumb statement and you get called out for it.

Then you take the passive-aggressive approach and make me out as someone who is trying to say your opinion doesn't matter.

I never said your opinion doesn't matter.

I said your opinion is DUMB.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 08:56 AM
The point is, you can be a good coach without having a stellar resume.

I agree. Marty is a good coach and so is Bill Cowher but they aren't on the level of a Walsh, Belichick, or a Parcells.

Mile High Mania
12-28-2005, 08:56 AM
Fisher is the best coach in the NFL? He's very good, but not the very best... I'd put him in the top 5. Fisher is a good talent evaluator and he has had to deal with lots of injuries and self created cap issues. Best of all coaching right now, though? Nah.

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I said your opinion is DUMB.

ROFL

This is going in my sig during the offseason.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 09:00 AM
I'm betting those other head coaches did it in less than 12 years.

Yep.

Walsh became HC of the 49ers in 1979 and won his first SB in 1982.

Belichick had 5 bad seasons in Cleveland and in his second season (2001) in NE he won the SB

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Fisher is the best coach in the NFL? He's very good, but not the very best... I'd put him in the top 5. Fisher is a good talent evaluator and he has had to deal with lots of injuries and self created cap issues. Best of all coaching right now, though? Nah.

I wouldn't put him in the top 5, maybe 10.

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Wrong.

Montana and Brady both hardly played at all before winning Super Bowls.

Hardly played at all? Eh. McNair took longer to "develop" if that what you mean, but without those Superbowl rings, Montana and Brady wouldn't be remembered much different than Steve McNair is going to be: ask Dan Marino, Dan Fouts.

The difference is McNair didn't have quite the supporting cast that Montana and Brady have had. Say what you will about the "no-name" Patriot teams--but they are as talented, across the board, and as deep as any team in the NFL over that period.

Mile High Mania
12-28-2005, 09:06 AM
In no specific order... coaches that I would rank ahead of Fisher are:

Holmgren
Parcells
Shanahan
Bellichick
Cowher
Tice (ok, this is a joke)
Reid
Dungy (yes, I think I would)

Ok, so .. Fisher would be in my top 8-9

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't put him in the top 5, maybe 10.

Eh, it's all opinion. You had Holmgren in your top 5. No way I'd put him there; in my mind, he's wasted a ton of talent....especially in Seattle. He's done less, with more, lately, than any other high profile coach I can think of. He's the second coming of Mike Ditka. He should have at least been to the Superbowl a couple of times with Seattle, but hasn't come close IMO. He's ridden his GB reputation and Superbowls a long, long way.

Of course, that's JMHO. :p

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Hardly played at all? Eh. McNair took longer to "develop" if that what you mean, but without those Superbowl rings, Montana and Brady wouldn't be remembered much different than Steve McNair is going to be: ask Dan Marino, Dan Fouts.

The difference is McNair didn't have quite the supporting cast that Montana and Brady have had. Say what you will about the "no-name" Patriot teams--but they are as talented, across the board, and as deep as any team in the NFL over that period.

And who assembled that talent that surrounded them? Walsh and Belichick did.

You guys have one set of rules for evaluating Fisher and a different set of rules for evaluating the other guys in the discussion (namely Walsh and Belichick).

Guess what?

Jeff Fisher is also Executive Vice President of the Titans and shares personnel duties with GM/EVP Floyd Reese.

So who's fault is it that McNair doesn't have as good a supporting cast?

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Jeff Fisher isn't a bad coach.

But that's not the point.

The thread starter said Jeff Fisher is THE BEST coach in the NFL.

That statement, in and of itself, is absolutely ridiculous...

Hoover
12-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Just say no to the mullet!

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 09:12 AM
In no specific order... coaches that I would rank ahead of Fisher are:

Holmgren
Parcells
Shanahan
Bellichick
Cowher
Tice (ok, this is a joke)
Reid
Dungy (yes, I think I would)

Ok, so .. Fisher would be in my top 8-9

I agree. You could possibly throw DV in there as well since DV has been to 2 SB's, won 1 and that was against Fisher.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Eh, it's all opinion. You had Holmgren in your top 5. No way I'd put him there; in my mind, he's wasted a ton of talent....especially in Seattle. He's done less, with more, lately, than any other high profile coach I can think of. He's the second coming of Mike Ditka. He should have at least been to the Superbowl a couple of times with Seattle, but hasn't come close IMO. He's ridden his GB reputation and Superbowls a long, long way.

Of course, that's JMHO. :p

What if Holmgren makes it to the SB this year? That would make it his 2nd team that he has taken to the SB and overall he would have made it 3 times in less than 10yrs.

IMO he is a very good HC.

Cochise
12-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Jeff Fisher is also Executive Vice President of the Titans and shares personnel duties with GM/EVP Floyd Reese.

So who's fault is it that McNair doesn't have as good a supporting cast?

bingo

Chiefnj
12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
I'd prefer Fischer over Edwards and Williams. But, I wouldn't give up 1st or 2nd round draft picks for the guy.

dirk digler
12-28-2005, 09:27 AM
I'd prefer Fischer over Edwards and Williams. But, I wouldn't give up 1st or 2nd round draft picks for the guy.

The NFL banned giving draft picks for coaches 2 years ago so basically you have to wait until they are fired or when their contract expires.

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 09:43 AM
The difference is McNair didn't have quite the supporting cast that Montana and Brady have had.

Wrong again. Check out their first Super Bowl teams...not overly talented.

Do you have a point?

MOhillbilly
12-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Wrong again. Check out their first Super Bowl teams...not overly talented.

Do you have a point?

The Titans D was pretty salty.

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 10:05 AM
The Titans D was pretty salty.

Yep.

Rain Man
12-28-2005, 10:18 AM
The NFL banned giving draft picks for coaches 2 years ago so basically you have to wait until they are fired or when their contract expires.

Good. It drove me nuts when we gave up a high pick for Vermeil. While I kind of like the old guy now, I never want to see us give up a draft pick for a coach again.

Predarat
12-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Jeff Fisher is a lot like a Marty thats gotten lucky a few times in the playoffs instead of unlucky.

Baby Lee
12-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Jeff Fisher is a lot like a Marty thats gotten lucky a few times in the playoffs instead of unlucky.
Seeing as how the only credible knock on Marty is bad luck in the playoffs, I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday.

Cochise
12-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Serious question - has there been some kind of real speculation that Fisher will be out in Tennessee? I've yet to read a word of it in the press and he's been their coach since they were the Oilers.

Is there any substance to this or is it something that a few people on this board have dreamed up?

If the world works this way, why don't we just hire Bill Belichick away from the Pats?

Predarat
12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Serious question - has there been some kind of real speculation that Fisher will be out in Tennessee? I've yet to read a word of it in the press and he's been their coach since they were the Oilers.

Is there any substance to this or is it something that a few people on this board have dreamed up?

If the world works this way, why don't we just hire Bill Belichick away from the Pats?
I am fairly certain Fisher is safe for one more year. He has two years left on his contract and the last year is usually bought out or the coach is given an extention. The variable is Bud Adams who has pulled a few surprises in his time. But I think Fisher gets next year in Tennessee but if he has another bad year he may be gone.

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Jeff Fisher isn't a bad coach.

But that's not the point.

The thread starter said Jeff Fisher is THE BEST coach in the NFL.

That statement, in and of itself, is absolutely ridiculous...
I never said that, but you were quick to lump me in that group. Just because somebody agrees Fisher is a good coach, doesn't mean they agree he is the best coach in the NFL. Context, please.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I never said that, but you were quick to lump me in that group. Just because somebody agrees Fisher is a good coach, doesn't mean they agree he is the best coach in the NFL. Context, please.

The thread starter claimed Fisher was the best coach in the NFL.

I replied with:

The best HC in the NFL?

and

Jeff Fisher...

OVER-RATED!

OVER-RATED!

You responded with stuff like:

Who isn't?Bellichek? LOL.

and

I rest my case.

You took umbrage with me bagging on Fisher. Instead of coming back with something to back up your opinion on Fisher, you chose to make stupid comments about Belichick and Walsh. I didn't lump you in with anyone. You made several dumb statements and got called out for it.

It IS in context. Everyone can read what you said right here in this very thread.

And it's STILL dumb.

Cochise
12-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeaaahhh... fight! FIGHT!!

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Jeff Fisher wouldn't even have a Super Bowl on his resume if Frank Wychek didn't have the presence of mind to make a backward pass on a kickoff...

Chiefnj
12-28-2005, 01:02 PM
Jeff Fisher wouldn't even have a Super Bowl on his resume if Frank Wychek didn't have the presence of mind to make a backward pass on a kickoff...

Wychek thought that one up himself?

BigChiefFan
12-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Kind of sounds like the tuck rule against the Raiders a few years back. That's the point, the majority are damn good coaches-some get the bounces others don't. You act as if Bellichek has some magic play book that is somehow superior to other coaches. He doesn't.

tk13
12-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Vermeil is a better coach than Fisher. And he has the ring to prove it.

:)

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Kind of sounds like the tuck rule against the Raiders a few years back. That's the point, the majority are damn good coaches-some get the bounces others don't. You act as if Bellichek has some magic play book that is somehow superior to other coaches. He doesn't.

Belichick has won 3 out of 4 Super Bowls. NO coach, in the history of the league has done it.

By continuing to hang onto this silly notion that Belichick is not special, you continue to look foolish.

Me thinks you're one of those types that is so sick of hearing about Belichick, you'll say anything to bash him, no matter how absurd.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Wychek thought that one up himself?

It was a designed play?

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Wow, I missed this one the first time I read your post.

You really believe that?

If so, why would you even care who we hire for head coach? Sounds like winning and losing is pure chance.

htismaqe
12-28-2005, 03:45 PM
It was a designed play?

As a matter of fact, it was. Fisher called it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs99/wild/s/0108finish.html

Count Zarth
12-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Vermeil is a better coach than Fisher. And he has the ring to prove it.

:)

So Fisher wouldn't have even gotten us to the playoffs ONCE in the last five years?

tk13
12-28-2005, 07:56 PM
So Fisher wouldn't have even gotten us to the playoffs ONCE in the last five years?
I have no idea. To even guess would be absolute speculation. This team would've gone in a totally, totally different direction. We probably wouldn't have Trent, maybe not Priest, etc... never would've picked up Kennison. Might have been outbid by the Broncos for Roaf, might not have tried to convert Waters to a LG, might have gone a different direction than Wiegmann... and that's not to say we would've been good or bad, but I don't think this team would've looked remotely similar.