PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwrds is Coach of the Year

Piper
12-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Because he still has the team playing hard, according only to Dick Vermeil on ESPN Radio just a little while ago.
Jets fan here, want you guys to know how DV feels about ol' Hermy.

I guess he didn't stay up late to see the embarrassing display on MNF.

Is is possible Dick is lobbying for Hermy? Please.

You can have him. No charge.

Good luck this week. It must be nice to have something to root for, even if it is a long shot.

ptlyon
12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Congrats on the Coach of the Year honors.

Notice we don't get any of those around here.

Good luck next year and pop in more often!

DaWolf
12-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Well look at it this way, at least you guys have a playoff win this century...

Piper
12-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Well look at it this way, at least you guys have a playoff win this century...
True. Mainly because we played Marty in a playoff game. The other was when the Colts defense was really bad and anybody could beat them.

WebGem
12-28-2005, 09:49 AM
ROFL

HC_Chief
12-28-2005, 09:54 AM
True. Mainly because we played Marty in a playoff game. The other was when the Colts defense was really bad and anybody could beat them.

:(
Except us

MOhillbilly
12-28-2005, 10:11 AM
if dv cracked corn at this point would anyone care??

Rain Man
12-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Herm is coaching the best darn 3-12 team in the league.

MOhillbilly
12-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Herm is coaching the best darn 3-12 team in the league.

ROFL

by golly

StcChief
12-28-2005, 10:18 AM
DV and Herm big buddies, I imagine he's lobbying for him
has HC here....

Much better candidates.
I would like to see Jeff Fischer.
Gun and him worked well in Tenn.

MOhillbilly
12-28-2005, 10:20 AM
DV and Herm big buddies, I imagine he's lobbying for him
has HC here....

Much better candidates.
I would like to see Jeff Fischer.
Gun and him worked well in Tenn.

then why didnt gun get the DC job?(ya i know they already had one)

jAZ
12-28-2005, 10:20 AM
The Colts defense was really bad in 2003 and we couldn't beat them. Sounds like a step up to me.

Your problem is your OC and a lack of QB talent/depth.

Sounds exactly like KC during most of the Marty years.

I'd bet that if we get Herm the outcome will be more like Dungy to Indy than like Marty to DC.

jspchief
12-28-2005, 10:25 AM
This is the root of the problem with Vermeil. He thinks the effort put forth somehow overshadows the lack of results.

There are no awards for making nothing out of a tough situation.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
DV Eagles HC '76-'82
HE Eagles CB '77-'85

Alphaman
12-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Because he still has the team playing hard, according only to Dick Vermeil on ESPN Radio just a little while ago.
Jets fan here, want you guys to know how DV feels about ol' Hermy.

I guess he didn't stay up late to see the embarrassing display on MNF.

Is is possible Dick is lobbying for Hermy? Please.

You can have him. No charge.

Good luck this week. It must be nice to have something to root for, even if it is a long shot.

Piper,

Why are you and other Jets fans so eager to get rid of Edwards? He took you to the playoffs 3 out of his first 4 years in the era of the Patriots dynasty.

jAZ
12-28-2005, 10:47 AM
This is the root of the problem with Vermeil. He thinks the effort put forth somehow overshadows the lack of results.
No he doesn't...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2923444&postcount=40

ďHerman Edwards right now maybe should be voted coach of the year. You just stop and think of the injuries heís had and to line up each week with guys off the street, bring back a quarterback thatís retired and put him in the game and play and compete is a tremendous tribute to Herman and his coaching staff. But youíre not evaluated on that kind of coaching job. Youíre only evaluated on the number of wins and all these other things that influence winning and losing arenít important. As Iíve said many times, youíre not hired to coach football youíre hired to win football games.Ē

Baby Lee
12-28-2005, 10:50 AM
No he doesn't...

ďHerman Edwards right now maybe should be voted coach of the year. You just stop and think of the injuries heís had and to line up each week with guys off the street, bring back a quarterback thatís retired and put him in the game and play and compete is a tremendous tribute to Herman and his coaching staff. But youíre not evaluated on that kind of coaching job. Youíre only evaluated on the number of wins and all these other things that influence winning and losing arenít important. As Iíve said many times, youíre not hired to coach football youíre hired to win football games.Ē
You don't get the sense that that was a critique of standards, as opposed to an endorsement?

jspchief
12-28-2005, 10:52 AM
No he doesn't...

ďHerman Edwards right now maybe should be voted coach of the year. You just stop and think of the injuries heís had and to line up each week with guys off the street, bring back a quarterback thatís retired and put him in the game and play and compete is a tremendous tribute to Herman and his coaching staff. But youíre not evaluated on that kind of coaching job. Youíre only evaluated on the number of wins and all these other things that influence winning and losing arenít important. As Iíve said many times, youíre not hired to coach football youíre hired to win football games.ĒOf course he does. He basically says that very thing when he says Edwards should be coach of the year. Vermeil's comments about guys like Eric Hicks and Dexter McCleon support it.

The part you bolded only shows that he recognizes that the rest of the world holds coaches to a different standard than he appears to.

jAZ
12-28-2005, 11:02 AM
You don't get the sense that that was a critique of standards, as opposed to an endorsement?
I think it's a recongition of the bottom line reality.

It's certainly not impossible (and maybe quite likely) that both of these things can be true at the same time. That coaches are held to a bottom line of wins and losses AND that a coach who loses a ton of games can in fact give the best coaching performance of the year.

It's certainly not required that these ideas be an either/or thing...

Piper
12-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Piper,

Why are you and other Jets fans so eager to get rid of Edwards? He took you to the playoffs 3 out of his first 4 years in the era of the Patriots dynasty.
That would be like saying "Why did you Jet fans want to get rid of Paul Hackett.He took you to the playoffs 3 out of his first 4 years in the era of the Patriots dynasty".

Edwards is a good Assistant HC. That way his rah-rah stuff is appreciated and he has no ACTUAL responsibility, especially on game day when his lack of ability is most exposed.