PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about Nick Saban?

Nasty
12-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey Chiefs fans... Just dropping by again from FinHeaven.com

First of all, good luck with the playoffs. I think you guys are gunna get in and should make some noise...

Now, I dropped by to ask a question to an impartial crowd... And since you arnt in our division, and beat us when we did play so there isnt any bad blood... I figured that you guys would probably be pretty impartial.

So, what is your take on Nick Saban? Do you think he will be successful in the future? or just another bust college coach? Do you think he will build on this season? or regress? and why...

Thanks ahead of time for the feed back...

Nasty

Logical
12-28-2005, 11:35 PM
I think he knows the definition of evaluate.

Jim Jones
12-28-2005, 11:35 PM
I think Saban has done a great job with the Dolphins next year. He is an excellent X's and O's guy, the Fins are going to be a contender under him in the next few years.

Logical
12-28-2005, 11:36 PM
On a serious note I think you got yourselves a great HCing prospect but will have to give him some time.

Cochise
12-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Looks good so far. You can't ignore the turnaround in that team this year.

I'm really impressed with Ronnie Brown. Seems like a versatile guy in the Priest Holmes mold.

SLAG
12-28-2005, 11:37 PM
I was very impressed with how things turned out this year. And I only see more improvement down the road, You Fish need a consistant QB then things will really heat up.

Nasty
12-28-2005, 11:40 PM
I think he knows the definition of evaluate.

hahahahahahahahaha... you saw that?! he is hilarious when he rips into the media!

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Seems to be doin' a good job. Time will tell, but as college coaches go....he seems to be off to a good start.

Nasty
12-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Looks good so far. You can't ignore the turnaround in that team this year.

I'm really impressed with Ronnie Brown. Seems like a versatile guy in the Priest Holmes mold.

Oh I LOVE RonnieB... my favorite player in the NFL... but I could only hope that he has even close to the success Priest has had...

Nasty
12-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I was very impressed with how things turned out this year. And I only see more improvement down the road, You Fish need a consistant QB then things will really heat up.

letting go of Green anytime soon? :)

SLAG

No but I can sell you Huard at a decent price

Rausch
hahahahahahahahaha... you saw that?! he is hilarious when he rips into the media!

I'm a big fan.

I love when the media ask him some stupid ass question and then he pauses...gives the "**** you, you ignorant waste of skin" look....and goes on to emasculate the questioner...

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 11:45 PM

Send us Jason Taylor, and Chris Chambers....and he's yours. Assuming we can nab Philip Rivers.

Frankie
12-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I want Saunders to replace Vermeil. And I don't want a college coach. But if Saban was available this year (instead of last) he'd be near the top of my list for the Chiefs HC job.

Nasty
12-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm a big fan.

I love when the media ask him some stupid ass question and then he pauses...gives the "**** you, you ignorant waste of skin" look....and goes on to emasculate the questioner...

hahaha... it is really entertaining. I laugh everytime he verbally b!tchslaps the media... that look he gives them is the best. hahaha

Frankie
12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Send us Jason Taylor, and Chris Chambers....and he's yours. Assuming we can nab Philip Rivers.We WERE all set to pick Chambers in the draft, but The Dolphs stole him before we got a chance.
:cuss:

Nasty
Send us Jason Taylor, and Chris Chambers....and he's yours. Assuming we can nab Philip Rivers.

throw in Roaf and you got a deal...

Cochise
Oh I LOVE RonnieB... my favorite player in the NFL... but I could only hope that he has even close to the success Priest has had...

I think it takes a little experience to develop that vision. Priest is/was never a power runner or a speed runner, he's a vision runner that just has a feel for it, like the game slows down for him or something. In college most of these guys were probably used to being able to just let their talent overwhelm inferior opposition, but in the NFL you have to really sharpen your technique.

Larry Johnson has unbelievable raw talent, but now that he's developing that sense of waiting on his blocks and following the flow of the play more, instead of just trying to bulldoze his way to the end zone, he can really take over a game.

Mr. Kotter
12-28-2005, 11:49 PM
throw in Roaf and you got a deal... :)

You do know the age of the players we are trading, I take it... :)

Nasty
12-28-2005, 11:53 PM
So how long do you think it will take Saban to make us a Playoff contender?

Mr. Flopnuts
12-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Nasty I love how you come in here and sugarcoat that question with the you guys are gonna make the playoffs line. That's primetime. Most of us aren't dissillusioned we're just praying. As for your question, I may take some heat for this, but I would give coach of the year to Saban. He's taken the same team that played horribly last year minus there best defensive player and turned them into a contender. (Granted they didn't have much of a chance, but they were one of the last AFC teams not going to the playoffs to be eliminated). I have a buddy that is a HUGE finz fan and I think you guys have a pretty bright future ahead.

Rausch
12-28-2005, 11:54 PM
So how long do you think it will take Saban to make us a Playoff contender?

All you need is a respectable QB.

Of course, so does 1/3 of the NFL...

Nasty
12-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Nasty I love how you come in here and sugarcoat that question with the you guys are gonna make the playoffs line. That's primetime. Most of us aren't dissillusioned we're just praying. As for your question, I may take some heat for this, but I would give coach of the year to Saban. He's taken the same team that played horribly last year minus there best defensive player and turned them into a contender. (Granted they didn't have much of a chance, but they were one of the last AFC teams not going to the playoffs to be eliminated). I have a buddy that is a HUGE finz fan and I think you guys have a pretty bright future ahead.

Well... lets just say I'm psychic...

I think you guys will beat the Broncos... they will be resting for the playoffs... and I see the Steelers overlooking the Lions... wasnt tryin to sugarcoat nuttin...

thanks for the feedback about Saban though. I aint so sure he should win it... but I definatly think Saban should be a canidate for COY... I really like the attitude he is installing in our team.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2005, 12:02 AM

I think you guys will beat the Broncos... they will be resting for the playoffs... and I see the Steelers overlooking the Lions... wasnt tryin to sugarcoat nuttin...

thanks for the feedback about Saban though. I aint so sure he should win it... but I definatly think Saban should be a canidate for COY... I really like the attitude he is installing in our team.

Since I haven't done so formally yet, welcome to the board. We love having guys from other teams stop by with educated opinions. Especially ones that aren't trolls. Good luck to your squad this offseason.

Frankie
12-29-2005, 12:04 AM

Ain't much of a psychic,... are you? We are NOT playing the Broncos.
:p

Nasty
12-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Ain't much of a psychic,... are you? We are NOT playing the Broncos.
:p

I guess I mixed up "ESP" with "ESPN" :p

EDIT: I just saw you guys are playin Cincy... so my prediction still holds tru... they will be resting their starters as well...

Nasty
12-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Since I haven't done so formally yet, welcome to the board. We love having guys from other teams stop by with educated opinions. Especially ones that aren't trolls. Good luck to your squad this offseason.

Thanks... I first came over here around the time of the Surtain trade. You've got a great board over here... and don't feel afraid to drop by FinHeaven.com either... :p

So how long do you think it will take Saban to make the Fins a real contender?

Also, whats the deal with your coach? is he gunna retire or no?

Mr. Kotter
12-29-2005, 12:25 AM
..So how long do you think it will take Saban to make the Fins a real contender?

Also, whats the deal with your coach? is he gunna retire or no?

Saban needs a QB. Period. When that happens, if they can shore up two or three other spots in FA and the draft, they'll be competitive within a year or two.

Vermiel is probably gone. Hopefully, gone. He may hang on one more year, if he honestly think we have a shot next year---which we should.

Mr. Flopnuts
12-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Saban needs a QB. Period. When that happens, if they can shore up two or three other spots in FA and the draft, they'll be competitive within a year or two.

Vermiel is probably gone. Hopefully, gone. He may hang on one more year, if he honestly think we have a shot next year---which we should.

We should IF a whole bunch of things we don't know yet come together. Such as Shields, Roaf, and Vermiel. We get a new coach, and in this fans eyes we have NO shot next year.

Mr. Kotter
12-29-2005, 12:37 AM
We should IF a whole bunch of things we don't know yet come together. Such as Shields, Roaf, and Vermiel. We get a new coach, and in this fans eyes we have NO shot next year.

If the new coach is Saunders or Edwards....and Roaf and Priest (in a backup role) and maybe Shields is back....I'd bet we are primed and ready for a playoff run NEXT year.

Nasty
12-29-2005, 12:42 AM

Hopefully gone? You want him out? I thought he was loved in KC... I think he is a great coach...

The only prob I see in your guys' future is the fact that "The Best O-Line in the League" are almost all 30+ years old... I would do some serious drafting of o-line this year to have your replacements waiting in the wing to step in, while also allowing them to learn from some of the best...

Rausch
12-29-2005, 12:45 AM
If the new coach is Saunders or Edwards....and Roaf and Priest (in a backup role) and maybe Shields is back....I'd bet we are primed and ready for a playoff run NEXT year.

**** a whole lot of next year.

We were primed this year. We were ready THIS ****ING YEAR.

We had a damn fine engine, new wheeles and axel, new transmission, safety features, and all we needed was the new paint job. Just had to drive the bastard across the street.

But the driver was too timid to pull out into heavy traffic...

Nasty
12-29-2005, 12:47 AM
**** a whole lot of next year.

We were primed this year. We were ready THIS ****ING YEAR.

We had a damn fine engine, new wheeles and axel, new transmission, safety features, and all we needed was the new paint job. Just had to drive the bastard across the street.

But the driver was too timid to pull out into heavy traffic...

What are you reffering to?

Mr. Kotter
12-29-2005, 12:53 AM
Hopefully gone? You want him out? I thought he was loved in KC... I think he is a great coach...

The only prob I see in your guys' future is the fact that "The Best O-Line in the League" are almost all 30+ years old... I would do some serious drafting of o-line this year to have your replacements waiting in the wing to step in, while also allowing them to learn from some of the best...

He's a good guy. But he's too "nice;" doesn't chew ass when it's needed....it too loyal to his players. He isn't tough enough for the job, as it is today.

Yeah, aging ain't just a problem on the O-Line--it's on the entire Offense. We probably have one year, at most, left. Then again, as Rausch has indicated....Vermiel may have already pissed it down our leg.

Mr. Kotter
12-29-2005, 12:54 AM

Vermiel. Senile old bastard would be a great grandpa....just not a guy who's tough enough to make the tough decisions. Hence, the fugger wouldn't "pull out into traffic."

Rausch
12-29-2005, 12:54 AM

The HC being too timid to risk change and a GM too stubborn to take risks.

Nasty
12-29-2005, 12:57 AM
He's a good guy. But he's too "nice;" doesn't chew ass when it's needed....it too loyal to his players. He isn't tough enough for the job, as it is today.

Yeah, aging ain't just a problem on the O-Line--it's on the entire Offense. We probably have one year, at most, left. Then again, as Rausch has indicated....Vermiel may have already pissed it down our leg.

I was under the impression the players played very hard for him...

But I understand the negativity towards the "players coach" type... Wannstedt was the same way. Thats why I LOVE Saban. Especially after having a "players coach", seeing a real fire from the head coach is very refreshing...

Nasty
12-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Vermiel. Senile old bastard would be a great grandpa....just not a guy who's tough enough to make the tough decisions. Hence, the fugger wouldn't "pull out into traffic."

what tough decisions? IMO, your team has had a pretty freakin good season in arguably the best division in football...

Rausch
12-29-2005, 01:00 AM
I was under the impression the players played very hard for him...

Last week's win is the first "big game" I can remember this team winning under him.

But I understand the negativity towards the "players coach" type... Wannstedt was the same way. Thats why I LOVE Saban. Especially after having a "players coach", seeing a real fire from the head coach is very refreshing...

Player's coach often translates to a team with a lack of discipline.

Which we have...

Mr. Kotter
12-29-2005, 01:02 AM
what tough decisions? IMO, your team has had a pretty freakin good season in arguably the best division in football...

Long story short? Play-calling, taking it too easy on the "veterans," and lack of "discipline" probably cost us 2 or 3 victories. Suffice it to say, if he'd have been a little tougher with 'em.....we'd be deciding whether we or Denver would have the other AFC first round bye this weekend. :banghead:

Rausch
12-29-2005, 01:02 AM

It shouldn't have been a good season, it should have been a great one.

There is absolutely no ****ing excuse for this team to be at home during the playoffs....

Nasty
12-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Long story short? Play-calling, taking it too easy on the "veterans," and lack of "discipline" probably cost us 2 or 3 victories. Suffice it to say, if he'd have been a little tougher with 'em.....we'd be deciding whether we or Denver would have the other AFC first round bye this weekend. :banghead:

Well if you are talking about "tough decisions" and "playcalling"... I dont know that much about the Chiefs because I havent followed them like you guys have...

(dont remember who you were playing) but the call to go for the win at the end of that game instead of the tie was a pretty "tough decision" and, IMO, an excellent play call...

I guess you guys had some pretty high expectations for this season that wernt met though... so I guess I understand the frustration...

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 06:01 AM
I want Saunders to replace Vermeil. And I don't want a college coach. But if Saban was available this year (instead of last) he'd be near the top of my list for the Chiefs HC job.

If you like Saban, then you like Kirk Ferentz. Identical coaching backgrounds, both learned under Bill Belichick. Both very successful as college headcoaches...

You gotta get past the hate, Clone fan.

:thumb:

Mile High Mania
12-29-2005, 08:46 AM
I actually fear the day when KC cuts loose with Vermeil and someone like a Cowher or Fisher (possibly an eager assistant or college coach) steps in... someone younger, with a solid foundation and fire within him.

Cochise
12-29-2005, 08:57 AM
If you like Saban, then you like Kirk Ferentz. Identical coaching backgrounds, both learned under Bill Belichick. Both very successful as college headcoaches...

I could like that hire.

Chiefnj
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
I think Saban is doing a great job. He should be in consideration for coach of the year.

If you go back to preseason predictions, most people had the Dolphins at the bottom of the division. Saban has them on a 5 game winning streak and they could end up at 9-7. That's pretty impressive for a first year coach on a team that most people thought wouldn't do much.

milkman
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM

It's not hate.

It's ignorance.

Amnorix
12-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Nick Saban will be a good coach in the NFL, unfortunately for the Patriots.

I do think the Dolphins have some fairly serious lack of talent problems on offense. Hopefully once they fix that, their good defensive players will all be too old. :LOL:

The turn-around at Miami this year is impressive, but in the hyper-competitive AFC, I'm not sure they are imminently knocking on the playoff-picture door. They really need a quarterback, I think, before they can get too far in the AFC.

Frankie
12-29-2005, 09:41 AM

:thumb:I don't hate Ferentz. He just seems to hit a wall every now and then. His team underachives. Saban won a national Chamship (didn't he?). He is from an NFL family. His dad, Lou (?), was a successful HC with the Bills. There ARE differences

siberian khatru
12-29-2005, 09:42 AM
I think Saban is doing a great job. He should be in consideration for coach of the year.

If you go back to preseason predictions, most people had the Dolphins at the bottom of the division. Saban has them on a 5 game winning streak and they could end up at 9-7. That's pretty impressive for a first year coach on a team that most people thought wouldn't do much.

Reminds me a little of Marty's first year in KC.

Rain Man
12-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm impressed as heck with the Dolphins this year. I figured there was no way they would sniff .500 with their QB situation. Saban has to get a lot of the credit for that, and he scares me for the future.

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't hate Ferentz. He just seems to hit a wall every now and then. His team underachives. Saban won a national Chamship (didn't he?). He is from an NFL family. His dad, Lou (?), was a successful HC with the Bills. There ARE differences

Hit a wall? Underachieves?

By whose standards?

His team OVERACHIEVES, every year. They haven't had a top 25 recruiting class until last year and alot of those guys redshirted.

3 straight 10-win seasons, 3 straight top 10 finishes. All despite not having near the talent of other schools.

Yes, Saban won a national championship. He also coached at LSU, not Iowa.

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Yeah, the phins QB sucks, but the line is the problem... If the dolphins had even the chiefs backup line the QB wouldn't suck half as bad. The O-line has huge holes, half of the time they create the pressure or sack on the QB. (Which also says how impressive Ricky and Ronnie are, since they get hit two yards shy of the line of scrimage and drag the defense for a couple yard gain) :)

Nasty
12-29-2005, 07:01 PM
Nick Saban will be a good coach in the NFL, unfortunately for the Patriots.

I do think the Dolphins have some fairly serious lack of talent problems on offense. Hopefully once they fix that, their good defensive players will all be too old. :LOL:

The turn-around at Miami this year is impressive, but in the hyper-competitive AFC, I'm not sure they are imminently knocking on the playoff-picture door. They really need a quarterback, I think, before they can get too far in the AFC.

well... your boy Bill taught him everything he knows... :p

It is a well known fact we need a QB. I hope we can aquire on soon. With the offensive weapons we have (RonnieB, Ricky, Chambers, McMichael, Marty Booker), a good QB could really make our offense dangerous...

The thing I love most about Saban was his drafting ability... He landed us 3 starters (RonnieB-1st, Channing Crowder LB-3rd, Travis Daniels CB-4th) and 2 role players (Matt Roth DE-2nd, and Manny Wright DT-Suplemental 5th). And the 2 that have been inactive have shown alot of promise (LT & DT)... Next year the role players should become starters.

For his 1st draft ever... it was pretty freakin remarkable...

Coach
12-29-2005, 07:10 PM
If Miami can get some improvement on the QB play, and improve the O-Line, they could make some noise in the near future.

Hoover
12-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm very impressed with Saban. He just needs a little more talent on that team.

Hoover
12-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Hit a wall? Underachieves?

By whose standards?

His team OVERACHIEVES, every year. They haven't had a top 25 recruiting class until last year and alot of those guys redshirted.

3 straight 10-win seasons, 3 straight top 10 finishes. All despite not having near the talent of other schools.

Yes, Saban won a national championship. He also coached at LSU, not Iowa.
I agree, while Farentz seems to always lay an egg to a team the Hawks should beat, he always gets the most out of his players. Watch the bowl game on the 2nd, you will be impressed

Nasty
12-29-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm very impressed with Saban. He just needs a little more talent on that team.

Good to see Saban is getting some recognition around the league... Hopefully we can bring in some more players this offseason... We are predicted to be $25 mil under the cap...

Amnorix
12-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Good to see Saban is getting some recognition around the league... Hopefully we can bring in some more players this offseason... We are predicted to be $25 mil under the cap...

Negotiating salaries could be difficult this offseason with teh potential of an uncapped season in '07 looming.

Also, if Nick is like BB, which I suspect, then he won't overpay anybody regardless of his cap situation.

Nasty
12-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Negotiating salaries could be difficult this offseason with teh potential of an uncapped season in '07 looming.

Also, if Nick is like BB, which I suspect, then he won't overpay anybody regardless of his cap situation.

I forgot about the 07 thing...

Saban has already proved that he is like BB in the fact that he wont overpay for people... He didnt go after any of the high priced FAs...

Ultra Peanut
12-29-2005, 09:39 PM
So how long do you think it will take Saban to make us a Playoff contender?Sehventain years.

Amnorix
12-29-2005, 10:48 PM
I forgot about the 07 thing...

Saban has already proved that he is like BB in the fact that he wont overpay for people... He didnt go after any of the high priced FAs...

I'd expect that to continue.

I'm surprised you're that far under the cap. I thought you let a couple guys go (and traded Surtain) in part due to cap trobules, but maybe that's all straightened out now.

Speaking from the point of view of your enemy, it seems to me that your main problems at the moment are QB and offensive line. I have no idea how your running attack is averaging 4.3 yards per carry behind THAT line...

Your WRs don't impress me other than Chambers, who is above average.

On defense, you lead the league in sacks, which is impressive after having lost Ogunleye. I didn't see many Miami games, so either you have a better front 7 than I was thinking, or Saban brought alot of blitzes to cover for a secondary with a couple question marks.

My hope is that by the time you get a good enough OLine and QB to pose a serious threat, Taylor, Madison and Zach Thomas will all be on the serious downside of their careers.

Miami's draft for the entire Wannstedt era were pretty much completely horrendous. I'd expect to see Miami signing a large number of "mid-market" players who aren't headline grabbers, but can get the job done.

Worst of luck to you! :thumb: ;) :fire:

Amnorix
12-29-2005, 10:53 PM
Following up on my prior post, the guys you have on the wrong side of 30:

Taylor: 31
Madison: 31
Thomas: 32
Keith Traylor, who I understand performed well for you, but I dunno if he's starting: 36
Seau, who I believe is a goner next year: 36