PDA

View Full Version : WTF, Lets talk about next year. Cap room. Cuts etc.

BigRedChief
12-29-2005, 08:52 AM
#'s from here:
http://www.chiefswarpath.com/resources/playersalaries.htm

Players that need to or will be cut or retire before the start of the next season. #'s are in millions.

Barber 2.7
Bell 2.7
Hicks 2.1
Priest 3.25
McCleon 2.0
Wesley 2.5
Woods 1.6
Shields 5.1
total = $22 Million

If Roaf doesn't come back add in 3.5 million to this total.

But remember if we do cut this salaries above their signing bonus money will have to be paid in 2006 or if cut after June 1st then in 2006-2007. Which will obviously cut down on saving cap room.

Big salaries next year. Gonzalez 3.6 mill and Trent 5.7 million

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 08:55 AM
We'll be right at the cap, just like we are every year.

And we won't sign any high-profile free agents.

BigRedChief
12-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Another great tool to see players salaries is here:
http://www.nflpa.org/media/main.asp?subPage=Active+Player+Search

USA Today's NFL Salary Database:
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/default.aspx

sedated
12-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Don't forget the monster contract LJ has coming, but the cap impact is usually low the first couple of years.

BigRedChief
12-29-2005, 09:10 AM
Don't forget the monster contract LJ has coming, but the cap impact is usually low the first couple of years.

Yeah the dude is going to make something like 750K next year. His deal will be redone next off season.

siberian khatru
12-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Next year????? We're still mathematically alive for the playoffs!!!! BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I do!!! You bandwagon fans can go take a flying leap!!

This team needs to stay the course, it's SO close! Please, PLEASE stay DV!!! We love you!!!

Mecca
12-29-2005, 09:13 AM
They have more bad contracts than even I thought......way to evaluate the talent there Carl.

wolfpack0735
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
i also think waters contract is up this year. he`ll cost more also. need to keep him.

DTLB58
12-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Next year????? We're still mathematically alive for the playoffs!!!! BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!! I know I do!!! You bandwagon fans can go take a flying leap!!

This team needs to stay the course, it's SO close! Please, PLEASE stay DV!!! We love you!!!

:rolleyes: :shake: :Lin:

cdcox
12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Players that need to or will be cut or retire before the start of the next season. #'s are in millions.

Barber 2.7
Bell 2.7
Hicks 2.1
Priest 3.25
McCleon 2.0
Wesley 2.5
Woods 1.6
Shields 5.1
total = $22 Million

The problem here is that there are a number of starters on your list. I think we have the OL depth to replace Shields as long as we keep the pipeline of young depth coming in from the draft. You could pencil in Key Fox for the OLB position, but quality depth would be a real problem. I wouldn't mind retaining Bell with a reworked deal.

Who do we replace Wesley with? I'm intrigued by Bartee at safety, but I'll admit he has zero ball skills. We'd be looking at a fall off in performance at an already weak position. Maybe draft a new stud safety? I'm betting Wesley will be starting again next year.

Hicks is even a bigger problem. There just isn't anyone better on the roster to replace him with. Carlos Hall can't stay healthy. I doubt there will be any first year starters at DE available where we are drafting. DE is a premium position in the NFL, so any decent free agents will be big bucks, and this isn't looking like a high spending year for FA.

And we will definitely need another viable HB option next season. My first choice would be Priest at a price tag of about $1M. Unfortunately I think he will retire. If not, I question if he'd really be interested in reworking the deal. Reworking the deal would probably just add more dead cap money in a latter year. Priest deserved to get paid, but giving such a large contract to a 30 year old back is going to hurt us the next 2-3 years.

jspchief
12-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Hicks isn't going anywhere. He's in the early stage of his contract, which means the cap hit would be too big.

Besides, his contract is pretty reasonable for starting NFL DEs

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Hicks isn't going anywhere. He's in the early stage of his contract, which means the cap hit would be too big.

Besides, his contract is pretty reasonable for starting NFL DEs

Is his contract reasonable for a "starting DE that should be a backup because he sucks ****ing ass"? :D

SNR
12-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Is his contract reasonable for a "starting DE that should be a backup because he sucks ****ing ass"? :D**** you. Hicks has heart. He's the leader of this defense! As Hicks goes, so go the Chiefs

cdcox
12-29-2005, 10:10 AM
**** you. Hicks has heart. He's the leader of this defense! As Hicks goes, so go the Chiefs

That explains everything.

dirk digler
12-29-2005, 10:15 AM
**** you. Hicks has heart. He's the leader of this defense! As Hicks goes, so go the Chiefs

No wonder our D has sucked then.

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 10:18 AM

We need guys on our team that can deal with being 1-3, that's for sure.

jspchief
12-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Like I said the other day... You can't have pro-bowlers at every position. Hicks is solid against the run, and does get outside pressure. The fact that the DTs never push the middle of the pocket makes outside rushers' jobs that much tougher.

He's never going to lead the league in sacks, but he could be a solid role player with some help on in the middle of the line.

I'm not a big Hicks fan, but I don't feel like he's the worst player on our defense by any stretch. His contract is reasonable enough that I don't see any way that we cut him.

morphius
12-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Damn we have a lot of people who will be FA's after this season. Most of them are just depth guys, but still.

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 10:21 AM
2.71 for Bell isn't that bad, he needs another year to make sure. Wesley's 2.5 isn't as big of a problem as Warfield's 3.775 in my opinion. Wesley's lack of ability to tackle and take the ball away is ALMOST made up for with is hitting. However, why are we paying Warfield that much money to be average. Lastly, we have some major problems comming up... T. Rich is a UFA. Jared Allen is making minimum and has just 1 year left on his contract, Kawika is making minimum with one year on his contract, Stills has 1 year left on his contract, Waters is making nothing (for a 2 year pro bowl lineman) and has 1 year left. Those are some names we don't want to make it to the free agent market.

milkman
12-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Hicks is even a bigger problem. There just isn't anyone better on the roster to replace him with. Carlos Hall can't stay healthy. I doubt there will be any first year starters at DE available where we are drafting. DE is a premium position in the NFL, so any decent free agents will be big bucks, and this isn't looking like a high spending year for FA.

I would like to see Jimmy Wilkerson get a shot at Hicks position.

He's held up pretty well as a spot duty DT, but he's more suited to play DE.

milkman
12-29-2005, 10:28 AM
2.71 for Bell isn't that bad, he needs another year to make sure. Wesley's 2.5 isn't as big of a problem as Warfield's 3.775 in my opinion. Wesley's lack of ability to tackle and take the ball away is ALMOST made up for with is hitting. However, why are we paying Warfield that much money to be average. Lastly, we have some major problems comming up... T. Rich is a UFA. Jared Allen is making minimum and has just 1 year left on his contract, Kawika is making minimum with one year on his contract, Stills has 1 year left on his contract, Waters is making nothing (for a 2 year pro bowl lineman) and has 1 year left. Those are some names we don't want to make it to the free agent market.

Why do we give a rat's ass about Stills?

One year left on his contract?
Good.

Cut him.

Warrior5
12-29-2005, 11:18 AM
...Wesley's 2.5 isn't as big of a problem as Warfield's 3.775 in my opinion.

For hosing the team due to his drinking problem, Paris should re-structure and give some $ back to the Chiefs.

morphius
12-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Why do we give a rat's ass about Stills?

One year left on his contract?
Good.

Cut him.
But he is the Chiefs all time leading tackler on ST!

Oh who am I kidding, cut the bastage.

nychief
12-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Hicks is not going anywhere. I am tired of the bitching about him, is he really worth bitching about? He is solid, but not Neil Smith. Bell should get another year.... of that list these are the guys who must be let go.

Barber
Woods
McCleon (deff. if DV is gone)

ct
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM

TRich will re-sign for a reasonable contract, since he's got a FO gig ready for him when he's done.

Now is the perfect time to extend Jared Allen. He won't command a huge deal, as he still has holes in his game and was left out of the Pro-Bowl. Similar story for Kawika, who'll command even less than Allen.

Waters will, and deserves to, get paid!!

Wesley could be pressured to restructure, otherwise his hit ain't so bad.

Bell signed a 2-tiered bonus contract, specifically as a hedge to see what would happen this year. He will be renegotiating for sure, and if he doesn't cooperate, we can cut him loose w/out a very painful hit. He did not pan out as advertised, but his contract was very very smart on CP's behalf!

Warfield gets a bad rap, he's a solid #2 CB. However, his contract age is getting up to those back-loaded years, so it should be time for an extension to level that out.
Stills? Who cares...

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 11:56 AM
You can knock Stills if you want but if you lose Stills, then you might as well cut Dante. Almost every one of Dante's touchdowns returned are when Stills lays out the last defender or lays out the second to last, leaving only the kicker... which almost always stops Dante, course even kickers usually have 20 pounds on him.

milkman
12-29-2005, 11:59 AM
You can knock Stills if you want but if you lose Stills, then you might as well cut Dante. Almost every one of Dante's touchdowns returned are when Stills lays out the last defender or lays out the second to last, leaving only the kicker... which almost always stops Dante, course even kickers usually have 20 pounds on him.

That was two years ago.

Now, Stills whiffs on those blocks, and he adds nothing to the team otherwise.

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 12:03 PM
He was still leading the blocks this year, Dante only has one return because he can't get by the kicker/punter.

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 12:04 PM
course Dante had 4 two years ago because the refs didn't call the penalties on the chiefs, like they should have.

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 12:07 PM
However, Stills shouldn't make that much money to ONLY contribute by blocking and tackling on special teams. Besides isn't that what Boomer is suppose to be for.

Calcountry
12-29-2005, 12:23 PM
However, Stills shouldn't make that much money to ONLY contribute by blocking and tackling on special teams. Besides isn't that what Boomer is suppose to be for.Go suck some Taco meat.

ameliorated1216
12-29-2005, 12:48 PM
You sound really intelligent, I have no need to respond to you anymore.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Wesley, Greg SS

2003 1,318,000
2004 535,000
2005 865,000
2006 2,500,000 *******
2007 2,700,000
2008 2,800,000
2009 3,300,000

time for Wesley to go

anyone know what his extension bonus was?

LiL stumppy
12-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Nothing is going to change.Hicks is solid he will stay.Wesley hand Woods will fight for the starting job again.Warfield will stay our 2nd CB.

milkman
12-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Nothing is going to change.Hicks is solid he will stay.Wesley hand Woods will fight for the starting job again.Warfield will stay our 2nd CB.

I think the only reason Woods wasn't cut this season is the that the Chiefs couldn't absorb the cap hit.

I will be surprised if Woods is back in '06.

BigRedChief
12-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I think the only reason Woods wasn't cut this season is the that the Chiefs couldn't absorb the cap hit.

I will be surprised if Woods is back in '06.

He should go back home put his feet up and count the money he never earned.

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Wesley, Greg SS

2003 1,318,000
2004 535,000
2005 865,000
2006 2,500,000 *******
2007 2,700,000
2008 2,800,000
2009 3,300,000

time for Wesley to go

anyone know what his extension bonus was?

Wesley should have been gone instead of re-upped before 2004.

milkman
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

Hicks, Woods, Wesley, none of them should have been resigned after '03.

Dave Lane
12-29-2005, 03:15 PM

Not funny..........

Dave

BigRedChief
12-29-2005, 03:39 PM
The good thing if SD wins is that.........

they'll clinch second in the AFC West at 10-6 (finish ahead of us based on tie-breaker).
That obviously means nothing for us in 2005. but for 2006 it changes who we'll play in the AFC South and the AFC East.

If we finish 2nd, we'll have to play:
Jacksonville at Arrowhead
Miami at Miami

If we finish 3rd, we'll have to play:
Tennessee at Arrowhead
Buffalo at Buffalo.

I'd sure like to get even with those stinking Bills next year.

BigRedChief
12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Wins in bold.

HOME
Baltimore 7-9
Cincinnati 13-3
San Francisco 2-14
Seattle 14-2
AFC South (Tennessee 4-11)
SD
Denver
Oakland

AWAY
Cleveland 5-11
Pittsburgh 11-5
Arizona 5-11
St. Louis 5-11
AFC East (Buffalo 5-11)
SD
Denver
Oakland

Maybe losing at home to Seattle or Cincy but other wise it could be a 13-3 or 12-4 season.

Mecca
12-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Until I have a basic idea of who the coach and roster are. I'm not predicting anything.

BigRedChief
12-30-2005, 03:23 PM
Until I have a basic idea of who the coach and roster are. I'm not predicting anything.

wimp :p

sedated
12-30-2005, 03:35 PM
II will be surprised if Woods is back in '06.

it's always a great idea to give big $$ to a 31 year-old player coming off his first pro-bowl (which was a fluke, anyway)

shaneo69
12-31-2005, 11:03 AM

That's easy to say in hindsight, but I thought he had a Pro Bowl-caliber season in 2003 and was just entering his prime.

Woods, on the other hand, got into the Pro Bowl based on two INT returns and was already on a downward slide. I thought we should've let him walk after 2003.

htismaqe
12-31-2005, 11:06 AM
That's easy to say in hindsight, but I thought he had a Pro Bowl-caliber season in 2003 and was just entering his prime.

Woods, on the other hand, got into the Pro Bowl based on two INT returns and was already on a downward slide. I thought we should've let him walk after 2003.

I wanted both of them gone because I was hoping we'd bring in a Cover 2 defensive coordinator...neither of them have what it takes, I think Wesley's problem is more mental than physical. He lacks good ball instincts...

shaneo69
12-31-2005, 11:07 AM
I would like to see Jimmy Wilkerson get a shot at Hicks position.

He's held up pretty well as a spot duty DT, but he's more suited to play DE.

I don't know if you can ever call a 6th round pick a bust, but for all the hype this guy got in college, he has done nothing in 3 years. I would give him the lowest RFA tender available and give him one more year to earn his way onto the field. I'm not optimistic about his chances.

shaneo69
12-31-2005, 11:12 AM
Anyone watching the NC State - South Florida bowl game? Mario Williams will be out of our draft range, but Manny Lawson should be available. He is #91, I saw him get a sack already and he has been mentioned as the #3 DE available, although some think he will be a better 3-4 OLB. The color analyst mentioned some of his workout numbers and said he was the best athlete on their team. He has 10.5 sacks on the season.