PDA

View Full Version : The Colts and James Dungy.

Rain Man
12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Okay, I'm treading on treacherous ground here, but I have to mention a few things.

1. Why were the Colts allowed to wear "JD" decals on their helmets when the NFL wouldn't let Jake Plummer wear a similar tribute to Pat Tillman? Tillman's death was a lot more relevant than James Dungy's. (I'm presuming the Colts did this. Berman reported that it was going to happen, but I didn't see the game.) Would the NFL have allowed the Chiefs to add a decal for Trent Green's dad? What if it had been the son of a third-stringer for Arizona or something?

2. The kid was a teenager who committed suicide. It's a tragedy, but I really didn't need to hear 30 minutes about it on last week's pregame, in a manner that indicated that the kid had cured cancer or something. The sports shows went waaaaaaaaay overboard on eulogizing this kid.

3. They should not let the sportscasters speak extemporaneously. Michael Irvin said, "This team has what is called a 'kindering spirit', so they'll pull through." Chris Berman then followed up with, "Our best wishes and sympathies to the Dungy Family, and ...... uhhhhhhh ...... let's hope the Colts play well ...... and, uhhhhhhhhhh..... Merry Christmas to the Dungy family." I couldn't help it - that last part cracked me up.

Again, I feel bad that the kid died, but wow. Way too much media attention for a personal event that should be private.

siberian khatru
12-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Totally agree.

dirk digler
12-29-2005, 11:18 AM
I agree as well.

I think the team can put the patch on the jerseys but not an individual player. I could be wrong though. If the Chiefs wanted to put a patch for Trent Green's dad I suppose they could.

John_Wayne
Amen.

RIP

beer bacon
Weren't players allowed to wear a tribute symbol to Tillman for a while? Then Plummer wanted to keep on wearing it, and that is when the NFL got upset. I don't know if I am remembering this correctly.

chefsos
12-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Weren't players allowed to wear a tribute symbol to Tillman for a while? Then Plummer wanted to keep on wearing it, and that is when the NFL got upset. I don't know if I am remembering this correctly.
I'm guessing that the AZ players all did, but it wasn't on all the Denver helmets. It was all about uniformity for the NFL.

johnson&surtain
12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
does anybody have highlights of LJ

johnson&surtain
12-29-2005, 11:27 AM
That is to bad what happened to dung's son

chagrin
12-29-2005, 11:29 AM
A "kindering spirit?"

ROFL
What a silly, stupid man

I would pay ESPN to get rid of that flaming drug addicted dicknose and bring back "It's all about" Sterling Sharpe!!

I agree with you. furthermore, I believe it to be disrespectful, Chirs Berman and the rest of those people on the NFL primetime to sit there and fumble for words to say, to make themselves part of the "story".

If it were my family and they were sitting around haveing a "discussion" about it and how the I, the Father, would be feeling - I would be sure to place a call to ESPN HQ to complain.

Simply Red
12-29-2005, 11:31 AM
What made me ill is that Michael Irvin was one of the commentators on the story. PPUULLEEEEEZZZ!!! spare us... :mad:

Demonpenz
12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
james dungy just let james dungy be special

Sully
12-29-2005, 11:33 AM
The Redskins wore a patch a couple of seasons back after the death of Snyder's dad... it was ridiculous then, it's ridiculous now.

Seek
12-29-2005, 11:36 AM
The Chiefs are currently wearing an HS for Hank Stram. I thinkt he problem with Plummer was the fact it was just him. The Bronchoes didn't agree to wear it, so the NFL said it made Plummer stand out individually, and promoted himself.

I think it is total BS, since it was a former teammate and friend.

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I had a rule last week...thjat if they started talking about this kid...I changed the channel. I can't believe how Espin and the like used this kid ending his own life to sell airtime.

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2005, 12:03 PM
The enitir NFL wore the 41 on their helmets about week 2 or 3 last year. Plummer just decided to keep it. And the NFL had a problem with it.

Rain Man
12-29-2005, 12:07 PM
I had a rule last week...thjat if they started talking about this kid...I changed the channel. I can't believe how Espin and the like used this kid ending his own life to sell airtime.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, and valid. It became the story of the week, to be trumped only if Eli Manning had torn a hamstring or something.

It ticked me off because I went to the gym Saturday morning and wanted to hear about football while I was on my aerobic-running-stair-whatever-machine. I was on the machine for 45 minutes, and for far more than half of that time, they were talking about this "story."

beer bacon
12-29-2005, 12:10 PM
That's an interesting way of looking at it, and valid. It became the story of the week, to be trumped only if Eli Manning had torn a hamstring or something.

It ticked me off because I went to the gym Saturday morning and wanted to hear about football while I was on my aerobic-running-stair-whatever-machine. I was on the machine for 45 minutes, and for far more than half of that time, they were talking about this "story."

It pissed me off that every single show/segment on ESPN about the NFL started with tribute to James Dungy. The kid didn't really have anything to do with the NFL. We would have been fine with maybe half an hour about it the day and the day after it happened, and then confine it to ESPN News so that the viewers can actually watch stuff about the NFL.

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2005, 12:11 PM

I flipped on one of the Espin shows and turned it off right then and 27 minutes later when I returned...they were still talking about it. I think it was the day the story broke when the had the least amount of details. It was retarded. Espin and their staff have an axe to grind...and it's gotten progressively worse every year since Disney came into the fold.

Thig Lyfe
12-29-2005, 12:12 PM
I agree. It should have been a private matter for the Dungy family, and not a massive media frenzy. I wonder if Dr. Phil is going to investigate this.

milkman
12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't mean to sound like a classless jerk, but the fact is, I care about James Dungy's suicide as much as I care about some other teen drug addict suicide.

In other words, I don't give a rat's ass.

It's a story for the bottom of the back page of the newspaper.

Yeah, Tony Dungy is a class act, and I feel badly for him.

But James Dungy has no impact on me, or the NFL, or my rooting interest in the playoffs.

Seek
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't mean to sound like a classless jerk, but the fact is, I care about James Dungy's suicide as much as I care about some other teen drug addict suicide.

In other words, I don't give a rat's ass.

It's a story for the bottom of the back page of the newspaper.

Yeah, Tony Dungy is a class act, and I feel badly for him.

But James Dungy has no impact on me, or the NFL, or my rooting interest in the playoffs.

I agree with you! It is not like his son died in Iraq.

How do you feel about Derrick Thomas' death. You could almost make the same argument. He was speeding, in the snow, without a seatbelt on.

Remember the day this happened there was a 15 car pile up and like 27 peoples died in their cars, because of flames. All you really heard was about DT.

Rain Man
12-29-2005, 12:40 PM

How do you feel about Derrick Thomas' death. You could almost make the same argument. He was speeding, in the snow, without a seatbelt on.

Remember the day this happened there was a 15 car pile up and like 27 peoples died in their cars, because of flames. All you really heard was about DT.

I see what you mean about the other 26 people, but I guess I view DT as being a newsworthy story because he was an active player. I would expect to see a lot of news about him (or J.V. Cain or David Overstreet or Rodney Culver, etc.) on an NFL show. I wouldn't expect to hear a lot about it if it was a relative of theirs.

Is DT the biggest sports star to die while active? Maybe Roberto Clemente would be bigger, but I don't know a lot about baseball. Anyone else? I'm probably missing someone obvious.

StcChief
12-29-2005, 12:46 PM

Yeah. Mr. chronically late, Flying in his Big Suburban. to catch a plane to see the Lambs in STL NFC championship game.

Couldn't check weather day before or go nite before???? Plan ahead?

I was driving back from KC to STL and had to crawl down I 70 for 50 miles to get off the ice pack road. Luckily it was fine after that.
Was prepared to stay over if road didn't clear.

milkman
12-29-2005, 12:47 PM

I think there is a difference in that DT was a great player, and the founder of a charity organization that touched the lives of a lot of children in KC.

A better comparison would be Trent Green's father.

His death got about as much media attention as it deserved.

Seek
12-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Yeah. Mr. chronically late, Flying in his Big Suburban. to catch a plane to see the Lambs in STL NFC championship game.

Couldn't check weather day before or go nite before???? Plan ahead?

I was driving back from KC to STL and had to crawl down I 70 for 50 miles to get off the ice pack road. Luckily it was fine after that.
Was prepared to stay over if road didn't clear.

I used to live a mile away from where his accident was. I was installing a garage door the day it happened. I remember opening the door to back my ex-wifes car out. Then opening it again half an hour later, and there was two inches on the ground. Supposedly there wasn't anything on the ground out south.

Seek
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
I think there is a difference in that DT was a great player, and the founder of a charity organization that touched the lives of a lot of children in KC.

A better comparison would be Trent Green's father.

His death got about as much media attention as it deserved.

Trent Green's dad hardly got any press until Trent put Tape on his old chair in AH. And Trent's dad didn't die because he was an idiot. I think Dungy's son commiting suicide is a much better example. It was his own fault as DT's was his own fault.

The only reason DT deserved all the press he got was to lead as an example of why you should wear a seatbelt. Remember there was three people in DT's truck. The only one wearing a seatbelt walked away. I loved DT as a player, but it was sick to see how much press he got for being an idiot the day he got in the accident compared to the 26 other people trapped in their cars, due to Zero visibility.

milkman
12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Trent Green's dad hardly got any press until Trent put Tape on his old chair in AH. And Trent's dad didn't die because he was an idiot. I think Dungy's son commiting suicide is a much better example. It was his own fault as DT's was his own fault.

I draw the comparison between Trent's dad and James Dungy, because neither of their deaths are newsworthy, except for their relationship to individuals in the NFL.

The only reason DT deserved all the press he got was to lead as an example of why you should wear a seatbelt. Remember there was three people in DT's truck. The only one wearing a seatbelt walked away. I loved DT as a player, but it was sick to see how much press he got for being an idiot the day he got in the accident compared to the 26 other people trapped in their cars, due to Zero visibility.

The difference between DTs stupidity and James Dungy's, is that DT's was an act of omission.
Dungy's was one of commission.

Yes, DT's failure to use his seatbelt was stupid, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he was a sports icon, and a KC icon, who touched the lives of many people.

What I was getting at in my original post, is that James Dungy's death simply wasn't as newswothy as ESPN and other national media made it.

Halfcan
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=SideWinder]I don't mean to sound like a classless jerk,

Quit posting then.

jspchief
12-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Heartless bastards.

Halfcan
12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
Heartless bastards.

Yup-I hate the Colts but that is a loss I wouldn't wish on anyone. This kind of thing might just give them the motivation to go all, the way.

Win one for the Gipper kind of thing.

Seek
12-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I draw the comparison between Trent's dad and James Dungy, because neither of their deaths are newsworthy, except for their relationship to individuals in the NFL.

The difference between DTs stupidity and James Dungy's, is that DT's was an act of omission.
Dungy's was one of commission.

Thats a fair statement.

DT's death impacted me more than him playing football or his foundation. I always wear my seat belt, and I constantly remind my wife who constantly forgets because she is always jacking around with make up, or the baby.

RedNFeisty
12-29-2005, 03:08 PM
You know the answer, it is all politics.

milkman
12-29-2005, 05:26 PM
I don't mean to sound like a classless jerk

Quit posting then.

OK, let me rephrase.

I don't mean to seem unsympathetic to Dungy's loss.

Douche Baggins
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I had a big problem with alot of the shit that went on around this event.

For one thing, I can't believe they had a moment of silence at the Seahawks game.

Do you think they would have had a moment of silence for the kids of any Seahawks fans? HELL NO!

Famous people. :shake:

stevieray
12-29-2005, 06:35 PM
kick'em when they're up
kick'em when they're down

Bob Dole
12-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Bob Dole assumes it's all because Tony Dungy is a well-respected coach and an all-around decent guy by all accounts.

It's still a bit baffling that they constantly eulogize the kid like he died from some sort of freak accident or natural causes, and manage to omit words like...oh, suicide.

ck_IN
12-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Have a tiny bit of class people. Borrow some if you need to.

One of the most respected and classy coaches in the NFL lost his eldest son. Of course ESPN is going to give condolences along with the league. Yes the kid killed himself but I think the Dungy's know that and don't need it printed and repeated in the media.

If you don't want to hear it, change the channel.

Wallcrawler
12-29-2005, 10:50 PM
I also dont want to sound like a complete d!ck, but being raised in a Christian household, I dont believe that anyone who commits suicide should get any extra attention.

I feel badly for his family, especially due to the time that it happened being right around Christmas. I sympathize with them, but as for James Dungy I could really care less.

He killed himself. He quit. Gave up. So he got exactly what he wanted and I dont feel sorry for him at all. All of the coverage about this kid has really been too much.

Once again, I feel sorry for his family and them having to cope with the fact that someone close to them is now spending eternity at the ol barbecue down south, but as for James, he made the choice to take his own life so I dont feel the least bit sorry for him, or anyone else who takes their own life.

greg63
12-29-2005, 11:41 PM
...3. They should not let the sportscasters speak extemporaneously. Michael Irvin said, "This team has what is called a 'kindering spirit', so they'll pull through." Chris Berman then followed up with, "Our best wishes and sympathies to the Dungy Family, and ...... uhhhhhhh ...... let's hope the Colts play well ...... and, uhhhhhhhhhh..... Merry Christmas to the Dungy family." I couldn't help it - that last part cracked me up.

Again, I feel bad that the kid died, but wow. Way too much media attention for a personal event that should be private....This is the nature of the national media. They over-cover a high profile event until some other high profile tragedy occurs for them to report on for days, weeks or months on end, and call it news.