View Full Version : Herm Rumors Swirl

FringeNC
12-29-2005, 01:37 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/378592p-321556c.html

Herm rumor swirls

Vermeil words rekindle K.C. talk

BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Although Herm Edwards isn't in danger of being fired, rumors persist that he will be coaching elsewhere next season.
A cloud of uncertainty hovers above the Jets as they prepare for the final game in a lost season. Actually, it's more like an entire storm system.

Never under the current regime have there been so many questions about so many key pieces, including foundation players Chad Pennington and John Abraham.

You might want to put Herm Edwards on the list, too.

Since the Kansas City firestorm last month, Edwards has maintained that he has no interest in coaching elsewhere, but his name is certain to pop up next week in connection with anticipated head-coaching vacancies.

The Chiefs' rumors have resurfaced, especially with his former coach and mentor, Dick Vermeil, apparently on the verge of retirement. Eyebrows were raised Tuesday when Vermeil, in an unsolicited remark that was perceived by some as lobbying, told Kansas City reporters, "Herman Edwards right now maybe should be voted Coach of the Year."

Vermeil went on to praise Edwards for the way he has handled an injury-ravaged roster, which includes 12 players on injured reserve.

Edwards, who has two years remaining on his contract and doesn't appear to be in jeopardy of being fired, told the Jets six weeks ago that he will be back in 2006. But the rumblings persist.

"Do I believe there was fire when there was smoke six or eight weeks ago? Sure, there was probably something," Pete Kendall said yesterday, adding, "In my humble opinion, do I think Herm will be back? Yeah. Am I going to lose my breath and take a big gasp if the coaching situation changes? No."

Kendall is a savvy veteran who realizes that a three- or four-win season will lead to changes in the offseason. The biggest question on the roster involves Pennington, whose twice surgically repaired shoulder is holding the organization hostage as it plots the future.

In a conference call yesterday with the Buffalo media, Edwards issued his most definitive statement to date on Pennington, whose future is complicated by October's surgery and a huge contract that needs to be renegotiated for cap purposes.

"Yeah, we're committed to him," Edwards said. "He'll be back here. We anticipate he'll be healthy again. When that is, no one knows."

The last sentence is a bit ominous, but Edwards, pelted with a barrage of questions on the subject, declined to reveal a timetable on Pennington's recovery. Edwards did say that Pennington is "a little ahead of schedule" because the surgery "wasn't as (serious) as it was the first time."

Yet it's worth noting that, at the same point after the initial surgery - roughly the three-month mark - the club already had announced a date for Pennington to begin throwing. This time, it hasn't made any such proclamations, which is telling. Pennington hasn't commented since October.

Other important players face uncertainty, including Curtis Martin, Kevin Mawae, Jason Fabini, Brooks Bollinger and Kendall - all on offense.

"If you're a guy who reads the papers and listens to the radio, and you play offense, I don't think many of us feel real good about any certainties the future may hold," Kendall said.

Abraham, arguably the Jet's best defensive player, will be their most prominent unrestricted free agent. The Jets have three options: Re-use the franchise tag, trade him or sign him to a long-term deal.

"My gut feeling is something good is going to happen," said Abraham, on the verge of playing his first full season since 2002. "I don't know if it's going to happen here or somewhere else, but my gut feeling tells me I'm going to end up with a long-term deal, pretty much happy."

Abraham, reiterating his stance from two weeks ago, said he's not averse to being traded. He's "preparing myself for changes after this year."

He's not alone.

jspchief
12-29-2005, 01:41 PM
For this to happen, the Chiefs would have to tamper, or Herm Edwards would have to quit his current job with no idea if the chiefs are interested.

It just seems unlikely.

Halfcan
No Herm please-that guy has as much personality as a sack full of wet hammers.

Cochise
Edwards, ...told the Jets six weeks ago that he will be back in 2006. But the rumblings persist.

Which begs the question - WHY????

|Zach|
12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
No Herm please-that guy has as much personality as a sack full of wet hammers.
Is that your big measuring stick for a head coach?

ptlyon
12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
For this to happen, the Chiefs would have to tamper, or Herm Edwards would have to quit his current job with no idea if the chiefs are interested.

It just seems unlikely.

Oh chit - forgot about that - there goes another one of those, there goes another one of those, there goes another one of those...

first round piiiiiiiiickkkkkksssssssssssAAAH.

Halfcan
12-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Is that your big measuring stick for a head coach?

Yeah, plus the Jets sucked this year. Oh and I don't care for the name Herm.

milkman
12-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I missed these comments about Herm Edwards originally.

Did Dick just forward these comments on his own, or was it in answer to a specific question?

jspchief
12-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Oh chit - forgot about that - there goes another one of those, there goes another one of those, there goes another one of those...

first round piiiiiiiiickkkkkksssssssssssAAAH.No draft pick. The league outlawed draft pick compensation for coaches.

But it's still tampering for a team to be in talks with another NFL head coach that is under contract.

If the Chiefs aren't tampering, and Herm isn't fired, that would require him to quit his current job with no idea if the Chiefs really want him.

tk13
12-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I'm still not quite sure how we're supposed to land him. But now that Carroll is off the market I like Herm a lot better than anybody we're probably going to hire.

Gregg Williams isn't going to come here, so that leaves us down to pretty much Stoops and Butch Davis, unless Carl has an ace up his sleeve. And I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

htismaqe
12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
No draft pick. The league outlawed draft pick compensation for coaches.

But it's still tampering for a team to be in talks with another NFL head coach that is under contract.

If the Chiefs aren't tampering, and Herm isn't fired, that would require him to quit his current job with no idea if the Chiefs really want him.

We wouldn't have to trade a draft pick to the Jets for Edwards.

But the league may decide to take away a draft pick for tampering.

jspchief
12-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Why is Carroll off the market? I missed that.

ptlyon
12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
No draft pick. The league outlawed draft pick compensation for coaches.

Since when? OH, AFTER the NFL awarded one of ours to the Rams for DV.

How convienent.

jspchief
12-29-2005, 01:53 PM
We wouldn't have to trade a draft pick to the Jets for Edwards.

But the league may decide to take away a draft pick for tampering.Very true. The Jets won't gain a pick from us, but that doesn't mean we won't lose one.

It just doesn't make sense for KC to realistically be pursuing Edwards.

ptlyon
12-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Why is Carroll off the market? I missed that.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132351&highlight=carroll

jspchief
12-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Since when? OH, AFTER the NFL awarded one of ours to the Rams for DV.

How convienent.Yes after that. You realize we got one from Washington for Marty don't you?

ptlyon
12-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Yes after that. You realize we got one from Washington for Marty don't you?

Who cares? It's the Rams we're talkin about here. ;)

Tribal Warfare
12-29-2005, 02:56 PM
I guess Tim Lewis is the main man

Alphaman
12-29-2005, 04:33 PM

It just seems unlikely.

Not really. The Chiefs can simply ask for permission to talk to him, which means they could hire him without having to give yp any picks.

Hoover
12-29-2005, 04:46 PM
I didn't know Herm was under contract for 2 more years! Thats great news because for his sorry ass to be on the Chiefs sidelines next year it will take him getting canned or, him quiting. Who the hell wants a HC who quits? Thats the last effin thing we need in KC, it seems like we already lack motivation. The only positive might be an 0-2 start next year, HC quits, team quits and we get the #1 overall pick....lol

**** of Herm and stay away from my Chiefs

WilliamTheIrish
12-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I didn't know Herm was under contract for 2 more years! Thats great news because for his sorry ass to be on the Chiefs sidelines next year it will take him getting canned or, him quiting. Who the hell wants a HC who quits? Thats the last effin thing we need in KC, it seems like we already lack motivation. The only positive might be an 0-2 start next year, HC quits, team quits and we get the #1 overall pick....lol

We have a coach right now who quit. Twice.

Hoover
12-29-2005, 04:51 PM
We have a coach right now who quit. Twice.
Yep

I want a mean nasty SOB for my HC

nychief
12-29-2005, 04:53 PM

couple of things I don't agree with. First off, Herm is not going anywhere unless the Jets want or will agree to let him move on - a little different than quitting. And secondly, Herm is a great motivator - in fact - that is probably his greatest attribute as a coach. Have you watched the sorry Jets this year, they still play hard every time out... really hard - the injuries were just too much.

Brock
12-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Yep

I want a mean nasty SOB for my HC

Sounds like Gunther.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2005, 05:34 PM
here comes tampering penalty part 2

maybe the nfl will increase the penalty after vermeil to 2 second round pick this time.

:cuss:

tk13
12-29-2005, 05:37 PM
here comes tampering penalty part 2

maybe the nfl will increase the penalty after vermeil to 2 second round pick this time.

:cuss:
Only if we trade our first round pick for Chad Pennington! :)

VonneMarie
12-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Seriously, that's tampering, right?

Brock
12-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Seriously, that's tampering, right?

No, not at all.

chefsos
12-29-2005, 05:44 PM
From JetsInsider:
http://www.jetsinsider.net/ji/news.php?storyid=1667

Herm: "I'm the Jets Coach, Period."
By Justin Paley
Jets Insider.com Staff Writer
jpaley@jetsinsider.com

December 29th, 2005

Recently, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil said that Herman Edwards deserves consideration for coach of the year honors because of the many Jets injuries this season. That re-ignited the rumors that if Vermeil retires after the season, Edwards could leave to coach the Chiefs.
However at Jets camp today, Edwards said he is happy being where he is. ďIím the Jets coach as far as Iím concerned. Period,Ē Edwards said. ďThatís all Iíve got to say. We donít have to talk about it anymore. Done. Move on.Ē

ďReally, seriously, we donít need to keep going on this. Thereís going to be speculation, we know that. There always is at the end of the year. Thatís what this thing is about, itís about speculation. Thatís all it is at this point and time. I wouldnít worry about it. Iím not worried about it,Ē Edwards said.

The rumors began about six weeks ago when Edwards was noncommittal in a Nov. 16 news conference about returning to the Jets. Edwards then had to backtrack later in the day. Edwards is signed through 2007.

About a week later, Jets owner Woody Johnson said: ďHermís not leaving. Heís doing everything he can to win and I think the team is doing everything it can to win.Ē

Edwards appreciates the kind words from Vermeil. ďThatís very nice of him to say,Ē Edwards said. ďI think when a man says something like that, a man I respect, I respect him even more for the fact that heís been in football and coached football a lot longer than I have. He has a lot more wisdom than I do, believe me, and Iíve learned a lot from him. One thing I know about Dick, he speaks the truth, heís going to say whatís on his mind. Whether people agree with him or not, heís going to say whatís on his mind.Ē

VonneMarie
12-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Edwards is not coming here. Thank God.

nychief
12-29-2005, 05:50 PM
that story said the same shit Herm always says, "I am the jets coach NOW, as far as I AM concerned blah blah blah....

he is leaving the door open. He is as bad as Parcells.

chefsos
12-29-2005, 05:51 PM
What, do you mean you believe him? :)

VonneMarie
12-29-2005, 05:53 PM
What, do you mean you believe him? :)
Does him exist?

tk13
12-29-2005, 05:54 PM
You're gonna regret this statement when we hire Butch Davis.

VonneMarie
12-29-2005, 05:55 PM
You're gonna regret this statement when we hire Butch Davis.
I don't mind Butch. (no pun intended)

nychief
12-29-2005, 05:55 PM
AW SHUCKS, I'm gonna coach da Chiefs!

http://www.danwismar.com/uploads/Butch%20Davis.jpg

tk13
12-29-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't mind Butch. (no pun intended)
I'd suggest you lay off the drugs then.

chefsos
12-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Does him exist?
ROFL "Him", in this particular instance,= Herm.

Woo. I gotta be more specific. No way I'm going down this road.

VonneMarie
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I bet Peterson has Bill Callahan on speed dial.

Hoover
12-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Sounds like Gunther.
While I didn't like his results, he has been one of my favorite HC of the Chiefs. Dude has passion.

VonneMarie
12-29-2005, 06:02 PM
ROFL "Him", in this particular instance,= Herm.

Woo. I gotta be more specific. No way I'm going down this road.
"Hello, you plaaay to wiiiin thhhhe gaaame."

milkman
12-29-2005, 06:05 PM
While I didn't like his results, he has been one of my favorite HC of the Chiefs. Dude has passion.

Where I come from, I think it's called chemical imbalances.

tk13
"Hello, you plaaay to wiiiin thhhhe gaaame."
Yeah, that's why I'm glad half you bozos on here aren't making the decision. Everybody here bases a head coach's ability in how he handles a press conference. Really. Great strategy.

nychief

I don't want passion - I want BRAINS. Gunther is a good DC, but he was a waste as a head coach. Besides he'd threaten to resign after the first loss...

VonneMarie
12-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm glad half you bozos on here aren't making the decision. Everybody here bases a head coach's ability in how he handles a press conference. Really. Great strategy.
ROFL - If that's the case, where's all the Jim Mora Sr threads?

Oh, and lighten up. :)

Hoover
12-29-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't want passion - I want BRAINS. Gunther is a good DC, but he was a waste as a head coach. Besides he'd threaten to resign after the first loss...
Well I don't think herm has brains either. Heck, then I think you are looking at Williams, Saunders, or God forbid Martz.

milkman
12-29-2005, 06:11 PM
Well I don't think herm has brains either. Heck, then I think you are looking at Williams, Saunders, or God forbid Martz.

Yeah, Martz is brilliant!

He's the first guy to figure out how to neutralize Marshall Faulk.

Count Zarth
12-29-2005, 06:12 PM
Herm Edwards is damn near bipolar.

Hoover
12-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Martz is brilliant!

He's the first guy to figure out how to neutralize Marshall Faulk.
While I don't like Martz at all, I think he is smart. He just needs to run the ball more.

nychief
12-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Hopefully a little of both. I just always thought that Gun was in over his head.

Do you consider Vermiel a passion or heady coach, just curious?

Hoover
12-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Hopefully a little of both. I just always thought that Gun was in over his head.

Do you consider Vermiel a passion or heady coach, just curious?
Neither, I think he coaches on emotion. Thats why if his season starts off good we are fine, but the minute we have a bad game its hard for us to rebound.

sedated
12-29-2005, 08:18 PM
what exactly is the difference between a passionate coach and an emotional coach?

Iowanian
12-29-2005, 08:21 PM
This is bullshit for a simple reason.

"TAMPERING". He's under contract. The End.