PDA

View Full Version : The final chapter on the Catricide.

Zebedee DuBois
12-29-2005, 06:00 PM
I am not an animal hater.

Over the years, I have owned four dogs, two cats, a cockatiel, a guinea pig, a boa constricter, and a bunch of fish.
The fish died of an ich outbreak, the guinea pig and snake were donated to a college collection, the bird was given to another family. One of the dogs ran away during a thunderstorm, and was never found after weeks of searching. The other dogs and one of the cats died of old age after many loving years in our family and were buried in the backyard of wherever we were living at the time.

Then there was the last cat, about which I wrote a (disturbing to some) thread earlier. We saved this cat's life a couple of times. Once when we adopted it, once when it swallowed a sewing needle. It was always a little weird....scared of the out of doors, scared of nonfamily, scared of lots of things. It would adopt other out of the way areas as pooping areas - closets, behind the couch. We had it seven years and lived with it's oddness. In the last year, it had taken to also peeing everywhere. Our house began to reek.

I broached the subject of putting her down to the family..
2 for...(my wife and I, who have ended up doing 95% of the clean ups)
1 strongly against.
2 abstaining.

I took her to our vet, who put her down for $35.
I buried her in the backyard, a few feet from the other cat, who died in his sleep about a year ago.

The earlier thread was started out of frustration. I kind of regret the anguish I caused to some. Although I am sure putting the cat down was the right decision, I still have some angst. I have a daughter that isn't speaking to me today.

Logical
12-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Sounds like you did the right thing. Props

Though you could have donated the cat to Endelt and my Lawn Bowling league. j/k

milkman
12-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Yeah, we took him to the vet and put him down!

Yeah, that's it!

Count Zarth
$35?

I would have done it for free.

Fried Meat Ball!
My condolences to you and yours for your grieving.

As one of the ones that was more than a little disturbed by your previous thread, I'm going to refrain from saying anything more.

4th and Long
12-29-2005, 06:12 PM
The phrase "abstention votes" is an oxymoron, an abstention being a refusal to vote. To abstain means to refrain from voting, and, as a consequence, there can be no such thing as an "abstention vote."

In the usual situation, where either a majority vote or a two-thirds vote is required, abstentions have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the vote since what is required is either a majority or two thirds of the votes cast. On the other hand, if the vote required is a majority or two thirds of the members present, or a majority or two thirds of the entire membership, an abstention will have the same effect as a "no" vote. Even in such a case, however, an abstention is not a vote.

RedNFeisty
12-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Sorry your daughter is not talking to you and without reading your other relating thread, I think you did the correct thing.

chiefs4me
12-29-2005, 07:04 PM
My condolences to you and yours for your grieving.

As one of the ones that was more than a little disturbed by your previous thread, I'm going to refrain from saying anything more.

I'll second that....

Katipan
12-29-2005, 07:08 PM
The phrase "abstention votes" is an oxymoron, an abstention being a refusal to vote. To abstain means to refrain from voting, and, as a consequence, there can be no such thing as an "abstention vote."

In the usual situation, where either a majority vote or a two-thirds vote is required, abstentions have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the vote since what is required is either a majority or two thirds of the votes cast. On the other hand, if the vote required is a majority or two thirds of the members present, or a majority or two thirds of the entire membership, an abstention will have the same effect as a "no" vote. Even in such a case, however, an abstention is not a vote.

I'm sure the dead cat gives a ****.

4th and Long
12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Harsh. What do I have to do get that special Mer flirtatious treatment anyway?

Iowanian
12-29-2005, 07:15 PM
prepare to have your local city council, mayor or relevant public official notified, that a person under your username has executed an innocent feline.

Also prepare to have a letter written about you on some obscure website, and the possibility of negative reputation at random intervals, as well as the occasional PM.

Katipan
12-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Harsh. What do I have to do get that special Mer flirtatious treatment anyway?

Don't pout when I flip you shit. :)

4th and Long
12-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Don't pout when I flip you shit. :)
Deal.

:D

:)

Say. Didn't I read somewhere that your old man runs strip joints? Out of pure curiosity only, were you by chance, at any point in your career, a peeler yourself?

Zebedee DuBois
12-29-2005, 07:30 PM
... an abstention is not a vote.

I agree. But there were only two votes that counted, anyway.
We were using the old "landowners" rules.

Zebedee DuBois
12-29-2005, 07:33 PM
prepare to have your local city council, mayor or relevant public official notified, that a person under your username has executed an innocent feline.

Also prepare to have a letter written about you on some obscure website, and the possibility of negative reputation at random intervals, as well as the occasional PM.

I had to sign a city form specifying that I was taking the body for burial.

I find the occasional PM to be good for the system...(or was that a BM?)

Zebedee DuBois
12-29-2005, 07:34 PM

No, she didn't...but she did take a post mortem piss on the way home. Figures!

Halfcan
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't have waited til the house stunk-first time-cya Morris.

beavis
12-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Anti-freeze in it's dinner would have been cheaper.

Bob Dole
12-29-2005, 08:22 PM
If your daughter is between the ages of 12 and 17, it's probably a win-win situation.

milkman
12-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Anti-freeze in it's dinner would have been cheaper.

Yeah, and with the money you saved, you coulda loaned Mike b 284 $20 for parking!

Iowanian
12-29-2005, 08:32 PM
and $5 for koko's corndog at the game.

stumppy
12-29-2005, 08:47 PM

ROFL

gblewmefish still got ya shaking in your boots?

My personal favorite is the old bacon grease on an extension cord accident.
Uh.......when trying to trip someone. Yea, thats it. the old trip someone with a greasy cord trick.

Frazod
12-29-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't remember the previous thread, but if I have a pet that starts pissing and shitting all over my house, one way or another said pet is DONE.

cdcox
12-29-2005, 09:06 PM
I've been through that. We put up with it for years, till we just couldn't take it any more. We ended up putting the cat outside. She drowned in a sinkhole in the back yard during a torrential thunderstorm. My daughter, about 6 at the time found her. That sucked, but like everyone else, the cat had to deal with the consequences of its actions. If we had another cat that pissed in the house, I think I'd go the $35 vet route.

siberian khatru
12-29-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't remember the previous thread, but if I have a pet that starts pissing and shitting all over my house, one way or another said pet is DONE.

Might cause another "accidental" discharge of a handgun, eh?

ENDelt260
12-29-2005, 09:14 PM
The phrase "abstention votes" is an oxymoron,

And wasn't brought up until you did it.

Thank you for explaining to us that the phrase you first used makes no sense.

ENDelt260
12-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Say. Didn't I read somewhere that your old man runs strip joints? Out of pure curiosity only, were you by chance, at any point in your career, a peeler yourself?

I think she's probably peeled a potato or two that went into a dinner she made me.

I understand the question, though. I have, on occassion, out of "sheer curiosity" asked a girl if she would take her clothes off for a dollar. Course, I usually do it to their face where they can slap me for my obnoxiousness.

Frazod
12-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Might cause another "accidental" discharge of a handgun, eh?

Well..... :evil:

Actually, I'd have to the same route you did. I don't think I could bring myself to consciously kill a pet (certain human beings would be a different story, but I digress). Anyway, I had to get rid of a cat that once under similar circumstances - damn thing sprayed all over the place and I simply didn't have the money to get him fixed - hell, I could barely pay rent and feed myself at the time. I had to move to a cheaper apartment that didn't take pets, and so he had to go. I took the cat (awesome cat, too) to a shelter. I like to think they found a home for him, but they probably ended up putting him down. That was definitely one of the sadder days in my life.

Iowanian
12-29-2005, 09:18 PM
you are all going to Hades...some call it hell, I call it hades...for muderin animals.

mmm hmmmmm

ENDelt260
12-29-2005, 09:18 PM
If your daughter is between the ages of 12 and 17, it's probably a win-win situation.
Agreed. Last thing you want is her telling you what I did to her last night.

siberian khatru
12-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Well..... :evil:

Actually, I'd have to the same route you did. I don't think I could bring myself to consciously kill a pet (certain human beings would be a different story, but I digress). Anyway, I had to get rid of a cat that once under similar circumstances - damn thing sprayed all over the place and I simply didn't have the money to get him fixed - hell, I could barely pay rent and feed myself at the time. I had to move to a cheaper apartment that didn't take pets, and so he had to go. I took the cat (awesome cat, too) to a shelter. I like to think they found a home for him, but they probably ended up putting him down. That was definitely one of the sadder days in my life.

And I bet it looked just like this when you said goodbye and walked out the door:

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Shrek_2_Cat-eyes_L-01.jpg

Frazod
12-29-2005, 09:21 PM
And I bet it looked just like this when you said goodbye and walked out the door:

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Shrek_2_Cat-eyes_L-01.jpg

That's just wrong. :deevee:

Amnorix
12-29-2005, 09:37 PM
My condolences on the loss of a pet.

Sounds like the right decision, however. Cat urine is highly acidic and, therefore, REALLY damn stinky. If the cat isn't going to be litter trained, that's not a situation you can really be expected to tolerate.